Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:08:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons  (Read 2491 times)
AtorBoltox

« on: July 04, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »

The complaining about statues being destroyed is really silly. The artists who made them were paid. Statues don't teach history. This is an effective way of keeping the media's attention, and unlike the destruction of businesses, it doesn't ruin anyone's livelihood.

Would I prefer the statues not be destroyed? Sure. But the way people are reacting to this, it's like the human being represented was murdered rather than an artistic rendering of them being removed. This is the cultural equivalent of crying about some flowers being trampled.

C'mon, if white nationalists were vandalizing statues of abolitionists and AIDS memorials no one would be brushing this off.

Random destruction like this is just stupid and accomplishes nothing.

That's why I can't take his posts seriously. If its "just a statue" why in the hell do these mobs tesring them down care so much?

All of these people tearing down statues need to be punished. It's destroying property.

Absolutely correct.  These statues are public property, or someone else's private property.  They are not the property of the rioters.

All of this also begs the question of iconoclasm.  How healthy are iconoclastic societies?  How healthy are iconoclasts?   When did iconoclasm become a national virtue

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/06/of-statues-and-symbolic-murder?fbclid=IwAR3nCiI8vKonWfsHtylEGY_-0V3G-YJKweYQ3jFayR5FbNlsww4uqNpZXXw

But I think the most disturbing aspect of this episode, which perhaps indicates how deep our societal rot goes, has less to do with the rioters than with those in positions of authority. Rioters and miscreants we will always have, but that is why we have authorities. Ours, however, seem to have utterly abdicated. In city after city, mayors and governors decline to act against vandals, the police stand down, and the devil is allowed to take the hindmost. Corporations fall over themselves to advertise their virtuousness, and give what looks very much like protection money to organizations whose goals are openly subversive of the fundamental American political and social order. University administrators are all too willing to side with those who suppress free inquiry, and routinely cave to protestors rather than defend even the most fundamental tenets of academic freedom.

That it's a "Confederate Statue" doesn't make the act of destroying public property any more morally defensible.  Because if that's the case, I would ask if you'd be OK if I round up a group of right-to-lifers and vandalize Planned Parenthood clinics.  Not OK, huh?  Then why is trashing any other property not their own acceptable.
There is a difference between good and bad things
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies