Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Thread for statue vandalism of anti-slavery figures and other random persons  (Read 2384 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »

Apparently the Khmer rouge attacked a statue of Voltaire in France, which makes sense as Voltaire encouraged people to think which is bad now. The Polpot fetishists pulled down a statue to revolutionary war veterans in Richmond as well. Fine people.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »

I did think it was odd that BLM targeted the Daniel Webster statue in D.C.'s Scott Circle, though maybe it was a showing of disapproval for the Cotton Whigs vice the Conscience Whigs.
I doubt they know who Daniel Webster is.

Oh yes, I was not being serious. It's a shame that even ardent abolitionists now are being targeted. Very much discredits this erasure movement.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 02:42:59 PM »

Can these idiots please just focus on Confederate and slave trader statues? It's a slippery slope. They'll be tearing down JFK statues for him being anti-trans or something soon.

If JFK statues start being torn down it'll be because the #MeToo movement decides that BLM shouldn't have all the fun when it comes to tearing down statues.

More seriously, it's looking dire right now for statues of dead white guys, regardless of who they are.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2020, 11:37:55 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 12:08:22 AM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

In Madison, WI:
The Forward statue, an allegory of progress
A monument to Col. Hans Christian Heg, who died fighting for the Union

https://wkow.com/2020/06/23/protesters-pull-down-forward-statue-outside-state-capitol/

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »

https://m.magnoliastatelive.com/2020/06/23/iconic-statue-at-historic-mississippi-cemetery-damaged/

Cemetery attack.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2020, 12:51:52 AM »

Well, looks like Wisconsin is Titanium R after all now:

https://twitter.com/ehamer7/status/1275666597399744513?s=20
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2020, 01:28:12 AM »

So let me get this straight. The Woke Robbespierres destroyed a statue of an immigrant who killed slavers, a statue commemorating women's rights and then attacked a gay Democrat legislator?

Well played.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2020, 02:22:11 AM »

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/06/19/statue-brigham-young/

A few days old but Brigham Young. Im sure the Mormons aren't too happy.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2020, 04:32:28 AM »

I can understand the willing to topple confederates statues. But it's sensless to topple those of Union fighters' and abolitionnists.
I don't consider it as justice. It's uneducated bad boys attitude.
It's time to invest on history education.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2020, 06:16:07 AM »

I can understand the willing to topple confederates statues. But it's sensless to topple those of Union fighters' and abolitionnists.
I don't consider it as justice. It's uneducated bad boys attitude.
It's time to invest on history education.

I’m guessing the people tearing down every statue they see weren’t the best students.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »

I think those people are either cops or white leftists who spend too much time online. Same with the white protesters we saw a while back torching businesses while black organizers were pleading with them to stop.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2020, 03:20:10 PM »

https://www.cpr.org/2020/06/25/colorado-civil-war-soldier-statue-torn-down-at-the-capitol/

Another Yankee soldier monument tumbles.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »

The complaining about statues being destroyed is really silly. The artists who made them were paid. Statues don't teach history. This is an effective way of keeping the media's attention, and unlike the destruction of businesses, it doesn't ruin anyone's livelihood.

Would I prefer the statues not be destroyed? Sure. But the way people are reacting to this, it's like the human being represented was murdered rather than an artistic rendering of them being removed. This is the cultural equivalent of crying about some flowers being trampled.

C'mon, if white nationalists were vandalizing statues of abolitionists and AIDS memorials no one would be brushing this off.

Random destruction like this is just stupid and accomplishes nothing.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2020, 03:48:37 PM »

The complaining about statues being destroyed is really silly. The artists who made them were paid. Statues don't teach history. This is an effective way of keeping the media's attention, and unlike the destruction of businesses, it doesn't ruin anyone's livelihood.

Would I prefer the statues not be destroyed? Sure. But the way people are reacting to this, it's like the human being represented was murdered rather than an artistic rendering of them being removed. This is the cultural equivalent of crying about some flowers being trampled.

C'mon, if white nationalists were vandalizing statues of abolitionists and AIDS memorials no one would be brushing this off.

That's why I can't take his posts seriously. If its "just a statue" why in the hell do these mobs tesring them down care so much?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2020, 03:52:02 PM »

Agreed on both points, fwiw.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »

That's why I can't take his posts seriously. If its "just a statue" why in the hell do these mobs tesring them down care so much?

All of these people tearing down statues need to be punished. It's destroying property.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2020, 07:35:19 PM »

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/06/26/christopher-columbus-statue-pulled-down-denver/

A statue of the Vitruvian man was pulled down because the plaque referrenced Columbus. Given that the statue had more than 3 faces and more than 2 arms you'd think they would have realized it wasn't depicting Columbus but then again barbarians aren't known for their intelligence.

Also looks like a fight broke out in St Louis over a statue to its namesake who was born in the 1200s and shockingly doesn't meet the new rules of PC that were invented this past month.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 02:30:56 PM »

NYT op ed finally comes for George Washington, lol ... matter of time, I guess.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2020, 03:42:12 PM »

It's the author of a single op-ed article, not the times editorial board itself.

If they can run an article by Tom Cotton calling for the federal military to be deployed to cities for cracking down on protesters, surely we can survive some guy saying Washington isn't worth having monuments too.

FTR, I oppose both positions. But consider me funny funny if I'm admittedly somewhat more concerned about the one that has the overt support of the president and his political allies versus largely a coalition of Twitter nobodys and mobs who are one missed bus ticket away from dissipating. Especially when that former position will, you know, actually kill people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2020, 04:44:07 PM »

It's the author of a single op-ed article, not the times editorial board itself.

If they can run an article by Tom Cotton calling for the federal military to be deployed to cities for cracking down on protesters, surely we can survive some guy saying Washington isn't worth having monuments too.

FTR, I oppose both positions. But consider me funny funny if I'm admittedly somewhat more concerned about the one that has the overt support of the president and his political allies versus largely a coalition of Twitter nobodys and mobs who are one missed bus ticket away from dissipating. Especially when that former position will, you know, actually kill people.

Let's see if they fire their editor over this. This is a much more radical opinion than that espoused by Cotton which at least one poll  showed majority support for. The firing of the editor was the real scandal.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2020, 04:55:44 PM »

All I know is that if George Washington gets canceled for being a slave owner notwithstanding the gap in time then logically the Prophet Muhammad should also be cancelled for being a slave owner. Am I allowed to tear down the Dome of the Rock now?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2020, 05:14:12 PM by lfromnj »

But they won't do it anymore because it endangers the staff's feelings, by removing the article from the print edition, saying it wasn't a worthy article in retrospect and firing the editor the NYT has essentially given room to criticize the paper itself for its editorial choices. A year ago they probably had some whack op-eds too but I didn't care that much as I understood they were op-eds. However the times has become too selective on op-eds to truly be called an op-ed section.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2020, 07:43:10 PM »

Not a person, but the Commies in Portland destroyed a statue of an elk and got it removed. It must have had mammal privilege.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/07/02/city-of-portland-is-removing-elk-statue-after-protesters-burned-it/
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2020, 08:14:11 PM »

All of these people tearing down statues need to be punished. It's destroying property.

Absolutely correct.  These statues are public property, or someone else's private property.  They are not the property of the rioters.

All of this also begs the question of iconoclasm.  How healthy are iconoclastic societies?  How healthy are iconoclasts?   When did iconoclasm become a national virtue

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/06/of-statues-and-symbolic-murder?fbclid=IwAR3nCiI8vKonWfsHtylEGY_-0V3G-YJKweYQ3jFayR5FbNlsww4uqNpZXXw

But I think the most disturbing aspect of this episode, which perhaps indicates how deep our societal rot goes, has less to do with the rioters than with those in positions of authority. Rioters and miscreants we will always have, but that is why we have authorities. Ours, however, seem to have utterly abdicated. In city after city, mayors and governors decline to act against vandals, the police stand down, and the devil is allowed to take the hindmost. Corporations fall over themselves to advertise their virtuousness, and give what looks very much like protection money to organizations whose goals are openly subversive of the fundamental American political and social order. University administrators are all too willing to side with those who suppress free inquiry, and routinely cave to protestors rather than defend even the most fundamental tenets of academic freedom.

That it's a "Confederate Statue" doesn't make the act of destroying public property any more morally defensible.  Because if that's the case, I would ask if you'd be OK if I round up a group of right-to-lifers and vandalize Planned Parenthood clinics.  Not OK, huh?  Then why is trashing any other property not their own acceptable.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »

Absolutely correct.  These statues are public property, or someone else's private property.  They are not the property of the rioters.

All of this also begs the question of iconoclasm.  How healthy are iconoclastic societies?  How healthy are iconoclasts?   When did iconoclasm become a national virtue

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/06/of-statues-and-symbolic-murder?fbclid=IwAR3nCiI8vKonWfsHtylEGY_-0V3G-YJKweYQ3jFayR5FbNlsww4uqNpZXXw

But I think the most disturbing aspect of this episode, which perhaps indicates how deep our societal rot goes, has less to do with the rioters than with those in positions of authority. Rioters and miscreants we will always have, but that is why we have authorities. Ours, however, seem to have utterly abdicated. In city after city, mayors and governors decline to act against vandals, the police stand down, and the devil is allowed to take the hindmost. Corporations fall over themselves to advertise their virtuousness, and give what looks very much like protection money to organizations whose goals are openly subversive of the fundamental American political and social order. University administrators are all too willing to side with those who suppress free inquiry, and routinely cave to protestors rather than defend even the most fundamental tenets of academic freedom.

That it's a "Confederate Statue" doesn't make the act of destroying public property any more morally defensible.  Because if that's the case, I would ask if you'd be OK if I round up a group of right-to-lifers and vandalize Planned Parenthood clinics.  Not OK, huh?  Then why is trashing any other property not their own acceptable.
There is a difference between good and bad things
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies