Does Humor Belong in Religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:15:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Does Humor Belong in Religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Humor Belong in Religion?  (Read 1086 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »
« edited: June 14, 2020, 01:30:21 AM by Celes [The Earth is flat, dummies!] »

Seriouspost.

In reflection on the Amṛtabindu Upaniṣad this morning. I've been reading the Easwaran translations lately, and it's been a while since I've gone through the non-Śaṅkarācārya Upaniṣads. Verses 4-6 strike me as both at once perfectly succinct (to the point of alacrity), and ambiguous:

4. When the mind is detached from the senses
One reaches the summit of consciousness.

5. Mastery of the mind leads to wisdom.
Practice meditation. Stop all vain talk.

6. The highest state is beyond reach of thought,
For it lies beyond all duality.

Quite straightforward, yet open-ended. With regard to this topic I'm paying special attention to verse 5 -- "stop all vain talk." What is "vanity?" Easwaran uses "vanity" again in another of his translations. From the Tejobindūpaniṣad:

Brahman cannot be realized by those,
who are subject to greed, fear, and anger.
who are subject to the pride of name and fame,
Or to the vanity of scholarship.
who are enmeshed in life's duality.
But to all those who pierce this duality,
Brahman gives himself through his infinite grace.

Bhagavad-gītā 16.1-4 helps to qualify further (Thompson translation):

The Blessed One spoke:

1. Fearlessness, purity of character; steadfastness in the yoga of knowledge; gift-giving; self-control, and sacrifice; study of the Vedas and austerity and honesty;

2. nonviolence and truth and no anger; renunciation and peacefulness and no slander; compassion for all beings and no greed; gentleness and modesty and no fickleness;

3. radiance, patience, resolve, purity; no deception and no exaggerated pride -- Arjuna, these are the qualities of a man who has been born into a divine destiny.

4. But, Arjuna, the qualities of a man born into a demonic destiny are: hypocrisy, arrogance, exaggerated pride, anger, harsh speech, and ignorance.

I think it's fair to say that "vain" in the Amṛtabindu Upaniṣad is used with that kind of understanding in mind. The Bhagavad-gītā had been around for probably two hundred years by the time of writing; so at the least, this is historically plausible. Either way, they all seem to point to the same set of qualities. The Vanity -- for the sake of this post, action that is useless toward achieving enlightenment, with a dose of self-aggrandizement.

For many raised in (pseudo-)Christian environments, I would imagine humor and playtime are not highly associated with church services and religion more generally, for reasons of vanity. I've talked a little about my experiences with music and the church here, and to be honest, Footloose still comes to mind when I think about the impact of the growing underbelly of modern American Christianity on celebration and social fun. Of course, this is obviously not a phenomenon limited to Christianity. Every society and every religion has both fundamentalists and -- frankly -- reasonable, normal people.

I don't think that resistance to the direct use of humor or other extremely relaxed tone in, say, religious services signifies one as backward or even all that conservative, but I do think it oppressive to police spaces where religious people in good-faith find value from such expression. Humor and even sarcasm can be divine reflections of supreme order.

Opinion: Scripture has about as much to teach you as you're willing to converse with it. If you approach it like it's a textbook, you'll probably get about as much from it as cramming for a test in high school. It's important to approach that responsibility with respect -- it is a privilege. But it is a privilege that god has granted us for the taking, all the same, when approached with healthy jest rather than poor-faith scorn.

Let it also be stated that we have Jewish people, both secular and religious, to thank for an incredible amount of the best comedy ever performed on this Earth.

https://nikhiletc.wordpress.com/2017/12/18/hasya-and-hinduism/ <-- detailed read for anyone more interested in humor in Hinduism specifically. Cites Doniger at one point, which might be a sticking point for some people, but a lot of the information presented is high-quality.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:03:58 PM »

many pastors believe that you cannot have a sermon unless it contains a corny semi-humorous anecdote.  of course that's a far cry from an Aristophanes play at a Dionysius festival. 

humor can play a role in religion if it opens up some new perspective - some revelation of the ironies of existence.  without that, it can risk detracting from the experience of wonder and prayerfulness.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »

Many people take their beliefs very seriously, but that doesn't mean that they lack a sense of humor. Perhaps many people feel that making jokes about religion is disrespectful.

Whether certain kinds of humor are inappropriate is a broader question, but certainly there are appropriate ways to inject a little humor into religious discussions.

Often, humor is used to mock religion in general, or specific religions.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »

Have you ever read The Name Of The Rose?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »

r/dankchristianmemes is a modern day miracle.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »

r/dankchristianmemes is a modern day miracle.

Oh yay it's back!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »

Georg Ebner
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 04:02:18 AM »

There is no religion without humour!
Because religion is based on the one hand on DIVINE perfectness - but on the other hand on human imperfectness.
So not a humourless pseudo-humour on this or that, instead a deep sense of SelfIrony.

To german-speakers can be recommended the book of Klaus Berger, who died few months ago, on the hidden humour of JESUS.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 07:39:00 AM »

Ever read the Bible?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »

many pastors believe that you cannot have a sermon unless it contains a corny semi-humorous anecdote.  of course that's a far cry from an Aristophanes play at a Dionysius festival.

"I just flew in from Jerusalem, and boy, are my arms tired!"

humor can play a role in religion if it opens up some new perspective - some revelation of the ironies of existence.  without that, it can risk detracting from the experience of wonder and prayerfulness.

Yeah, this is an excellent take. And of course it also depends on how habituated to the humor the audience is--the "I sent two boats" joke was fascinating the first time I heard it in a sermon but is groan-inducing now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies