Who will be the 2024 Republican presidential nominee (Jun 2020) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:25:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who will be the 2024 Republican presidential nominee (Jun 2020) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will be the 2024 Republican nominee
Donald Trump

Donald Trump Jr.

Mike Pence

Nikki Haley

Tim Scott

Rick Scott

Ron DeSantis

Marco Rubio

Matt Gaetz

Tucker Carlson

John James

Mike Pompeo

Dan Crenshaw

Ben Shapiro

Kris Kobach

Liz Cheney

Paul Ryan

Ted Cruz

John Kasich

Scott Walker

Chris Christie

Mitt Romney

Charlie Baker

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Who will be the 2024 Republican presidential nominee (Jun 2020)  (Read 4303 times)
Junior Chimp

« on: June 12, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

After what Cotton published in the New York Times a week or so ago about wanting the Military to intervene during the Height of the Riot he is FINISHED, absolutely FINISHED - Period!
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »

Nikki Haley

1. Establishment liked, Worked for Trump
2. Nick Ayers is trying to be her campaign manager
3. Head of Heritage Action is working for her policy group
4. From a Early state
5. Already visiting other early states, national name recognition
Yeah, I think it's her. I've seen her campaigning for IA Senator Joni Ernst numerous times after Ernst kicked off her Reelection in 2019. She also campaigned for Cory Gardner I believe.
Doesn't she even realize how much of a Star is she is already?
Not sure about Nick Ayers. I think she will bring in some close people from SC to her Campaign Team.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »

I think Missouri Senator Josh Hawley stands the best chance of being nominated.  Since Trump worked out so well for them last time, at least with expanding the Republican Party's appeal to formerly Democratic white working class voters in the Rust Belt (though sacrificing the suburbs in the process, especially in the Sun Belt), Republicans are going to want to find a younger, more intelligent and adroit version (but just as charismatic), and that just maybe he could succeed where Trump fell short.  After all, in their view, it wasn't Trump's agenda that was the issue -it was the man himself.  
Hawley is too inexperienced see Rubio 2016. He's not going to make it. He would also need to give up his Senate Seat.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:02:52 PM »

I think Haley is the clear frontrunner, for all the reasons stated above. Second to her is Ron DeSantis.
I agree that Hawley and Cotton are certainly contenders, I just don't see Hawley running, since he'll also be up for reelection. And I just don't see Cotton, with his John McCain level hawkishness, getting a foothold in the primaries. Bill Kristol will get on the wagon for Cotton, but that's a relatively small segment.

But a lot of people here are forgetting the wildcard. Donald Trump. Whoever he endorses will have an automatic advantage. Playing odds maker this far out is impossible without knowing if Nikki Haley will say something that causes a Trump tantrum, or if Jr. well run.
Would Haley or DeSantis be tempted to be each others Veep. A Haley/DeSantis Ticket or DeSantis/Haley Ticket would be pretty much the Republicans Dream come true, wouldn't it be?
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »

I think Missouri Senator Josh Hawley stands the best chance of being nominated.  Since Trump worked out so well for them last time, at least with expanding the Republican Party's appeal to formerly Democratic white working class voters in the Rust Belt (though sacrificing the suburbs in the process, especially in the Sun Belt), Republicans are going to want to find a younger, more intelligent and adroit version (but just as charismatic), and that just maybe he could succeed where Trump fell short.  After all, in their view, it wasn't Trump's agenda that was the issue -it was the man himself.  
Hawley is too inexperienced see Rubio 2016. He's not going to make it. He would also need to give up his Senate Seat.

Does experience really matter when it comes to the GOP nomination?  Donald Trump had zero experience, but that didn't stop the party from nominating him in 2016.  Or to put it another way, it didn't stop him from conducting a hostile takeover of the Republican Party, and subsequently remaking it in his image. 

Well, it can go both ways! Chris Christie teared Rubio apart in that New Hampshire Debate because of the inexperience of the Florida Senator and Hawley is definitely too young to run for POTUS in 2024.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 07:41:16 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 07:45:29 PM by 2016 »

This would be a disaster for Democrats, anyways nominating Sarah Palin is political suicide, as a minority, Haley would never get through a GOP primary (she'd especially struggle in the South), Ernst may not even be in office in 2024, and even if she wins, her weak performance will definitely be a drag for her, as will her promise to "make Washington squeal," but not actually do anything, so Reynolds and Cheney are the options left, of these, Reynolds is probably the better option, given that Cheney's name is not something that popular in the new GOP electorate which is more resistant to the Bush style Old Guard, even if Trumpism is abandoned, I don't see Republicans going back to neoconservatism. But I have doubts that the GOP electorate is ready to nominate a woman.
Haley would never get the Nomination and struggle in the South is just pure FANTASY on your behalf.
It's also somewhat racism as well as you don't want someone with a Name "Nimratha" in the WH.
She is from the South. She would clean up the South probably the same way Trump cleaned up Ted Cruz Evangelical Base which is many pundits pegged Cruz to beat Trump.
She would win States like SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR, TN, OK, VA and NC.
Cruz won only OK in 2016.

If Haley wants this it's hers and these other Republicans have to come together and accept that - Period.

On Mike Pence,
If Biden wins by a 1996 or 1988 like landslide electorally he takes Pence down with him so Pence is done as well.

And here is why I am quite confident Pence won't be the Nominee even in the unlikely scenario he runs. Look what happened in 2016: Jeb Bush tried to run for the Presidency eight years after his brother left Office hoping that Republican Primary Voters would get over the Bush Presidency. He was such a weak Candidate that Trump gave it a shot. The fact of the matter is: IF Jeb hadn't been sooo weak as a Candidate Trump never would have run. You can deny it but that is a fact. Jebs weakness opened the path for Trump.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2020, 05:17:02 PM by 2016 »

Haley would never get the Nomination and struggle in the South is just pure FANTASY on your behalf.
It's also somewhat racism as well as you don't want someone with a Name "Nimratha" in the WH.
She is from the South. She would clean up the South probably the same way Trump cleaned up Ted Cruz Evangelical Base which is many pundits pegged Cruz to beat Trump.
She would win States like SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR, TN, OK, VA and NC.
Cruz won only OK in 2016.

If Haley wants this it's hers and these other Republicans have to come together and accept that - Period.

Although I don't think Haley has a "lock" on the entire south, she is heavily favored in SC, I could easily see her winning NC and FL if DeSantis sits this one out and Rick Scott doesn't run.  She might also do alright in the west and northeast.

The only shot Pence has is if a) the Trump loss is extraordinarily close (closer than 16's 78K votes)  and B) Trump endorses him immediately.  I don't think either is that likely-Trump will still have alot of sway and wait until the primaries to play kingmaker.  That said Pence definitely wants the job, at least back in 2016.

If Biden wins and picks a Woman of Colour as his Running Mate who runs in 2024 TRUST ME that Republicans will pick a Woman in 2024 either for POTUS or as Running Mate. And that person would be a hell lot more qualified than Sarah Palin ever would be.
Nikki Haley would not just be an awesome Presidential Candidate, she would also be an incredible VP Candidate for anyone not named Trump Jr, Hawley, Cotton, etc.

Imagine a Rick Scott/Nikki Haley Ticket. That would be a perfectly balanced Ticket with Scott being 72 and Haley 53. Experience & Youth.

As far as Rubio is concerned I wouldn't be surprised if he retires in 2022 given that he flirted with Retirement in 2016 before the GOP Senate Leadership coaxed him to run again. Remember 2009 after Obama won a lot of Republican Senators were heading for the EXITS such as Mel Martinez (FL), Judd Gregg (NH), Kit Bond (MO), George Voinovich (OH).
2021 could be a lot worse compared to 2009.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »

One of these people:

Donald Trump, Sr.
Donald Trump, Jr.
Tom Cotton
Josh Hawley
Ron DeSantis
No way! The Trumps are finished! Jr. can run for Mayor of New York or Governor but he will never get near the WH again.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 11:16:03 AM »

It’s way too early to predict these things (Hawley, DeSantis, or Scott would be my early guess, but it could just as well be Tucker Carlson or someone not on your list) but I really, really don’t think Haley will be the "clear frontrunner" or even come very close, tbh.

Why?

MT Treasurer is wrong.
Nikki Haley could potentially win Iowa and South Carolina and therefore put the Republican Primary to bed early.
And even if she doesn't win IA but finishes in the Top 3 she is in very good shape.

Because if you look by History the Republican Candidate who wins South Carolina usually wins the Nomination. SC does pick Nominees.

Bob Dole in 1996
George W. Bush in 2000
John McCain in 2008
Donald Trump in 2016
Nikki Haley in 2024???

The only Excemption is Newt Gingrich in 2012.

A win by Haley in SC and therefore a Polling Bounce could be used by her to win a lot of ST States.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »

Here are my Top 8 Choices for President when it comes to Republicans:

Nikki Haley
Kristi Noem
Liz Cheney
Elise Stefanik
John James
Marco Rubio
Ron DeSantis
Rick Scott

That being said if Republicans get the House back in 2022 Liz Cheney will be Speaker and I would replace her on that List with Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies