In which states would Medicaid expansion pass/fail? (Maps) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:29:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  In which states would Medicaid expansion pass/fail? (Maps) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In which states would Medicaid expansion pass/fail? (Maps)  (Read 1185 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« on: June 11, 2020, 06:00:46 PM »

Been thinking about this a lot -- part of the issue is the battle lines within the party aren't always clearly drawn. IE -- more Utahans (70% R state) than Mississipians supporting it.

How realistic does this map seem?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »

This is a pretty good take, though I would personally expect some of the poorer Southern states to be more amicable to Medicaid expansion - I don't know the region very well though.

Many Southerners are opposed to Medicaid expansion, even when lower income -- part of a good bit of more traditional conservatism and opposition to government control. Sometimes a lot of this is regional -- one of the most interesting things I saw looking at the data was that Nebraska and Utah had the same Medicaid expansion margins, even though Utah is much more Republican. Generally speaking, Southern Whites are even more conservative and inelastic than Nebraskans, so I applied the same general logic there, but marking off states like AR that have a hint of economic liberalism too them and states like GA that are somewhat purplish.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »

It's not clear to me what you're mapping; are these states that would vote for/against expansion if a referendum were held there tomorrow (or reasonably soon)?

Tomorrow, though I doubt there's too much of a difference.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 10:12:36 PM »

Yeah, my gut is it passes in all 50 with only Wyoming and Idaho as being close.

That’s objectively untrue, at least on the close part lol. It barely passed in Nebraska and Utah for instance. People always overestimate the susceptibility of Americans for big government and high taxes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies