NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:07:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter  (Read 5213 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »

So it was Hillary Clinton who did it, then.

I think you owe an apology to jimtrex.

But it wasn't a hoax? The FBI concluded that the noose was in the garage for months. They made no mention of a hoax, or that it was done by "Nigerians", which was really the part that bothered me.

The Nigerian joke is from the Jussie Smolett who hired Nigerians to stage the attack, which was saying there is more behind it than just a  "hate crime"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »

I came here earlier tonight to post that Republicans are all over social media claiming that the noose is a hoax, but decided to let it go. Then I came back to the thread and sure enough...

Oof. Should've listened to my gut.

What's sad is that right-wingers will bring this up for decades as a smokescreen to disbelieve any inconvenient news story, like they still do with Duke lacrosse and Smollett
Buzz

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 05:02:51 PM »

Very predictable.  They have those ropes for opening and closing garages at most locations.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »

So it was Hillary Clinton who did it, then.

I think you owe an apology to jimtrex.

But it wasn't a hoax? The FBI concluded that the noose was in the garage for months. They made no mention of a hoax, or that it was done by "Nigerians", which was really the part that bothered me.

The Nigerian joke is from the Jussie Smolett who hired Nigerians to stage the attack, which was saying there is more behind it than just a  "hate crime"

Okay, I concede I misinterpreted that portion of his post to be more racially-charged than it actually was. But I don't see any need to apologize to someone who accused, without any basis, a black man of pulling a hate crime hoax, now that the FBI has concluded it was not.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »

LMAO, looks like Bubba's in hot water now.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »

I came here earlier tonight to post that Republicans are all over social media claiming that the noose is a hoax, but decided to let it go. Then I came back to the thread and sure enough...

What's sad is that right-wingers will bring this up for decades as a smokescreen to disbelieve any inconvenient news story, like they still do with Duke lacrosse and Smollett

The point is the media jumps on these stories happily and when the right calls it out they get called racist.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2020, 05:42:53 PM »

The point is the media jumps on these stories happily and when the right calls it out they get called racist.

The vast majority of the time it's not a hoax, but the hoaxes are all the right bothers to remember.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »

It was a misunderstanding and no one was actually accused of doing anything. Get over it and move on.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »

It was a misunderstanding and no one was actually accused of doing anything. Get over it and move on.
Lmao the left didnt tell people to move on yesterday, you dont get to backtrack after your side calls all skeptics racists.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »

Lmao the left didnt tell people to move on yesterday, you dont get to backtrack after your side calls all skeptics racists.
There's a difference between saying "Let's wait until we get the facts" and "Can't trust these n****rs, he's probably lying".
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:30 PM »

One of your people cut up her face and said a black man did it to try to win the election for McCain, yet you jumped right on her bandwagon. The point is that right-wingers always want to say that racism doesn't exist no matter what the circumstances are. And this wasn't even a hoax, it was a misunderstanding so your side was wrong.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »

lol the movement has fallen off the rails already for racial justice
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »

indeed, which is why we should always do what is suggested here
And it now appears that at least 2 of the three dead were gay.

(unclear whether the killer was aware of this, however)

And it appears the attacker was perhaps a Christian convert.

This is why it's always important to give these sorts of things a few days.
if there are obvious facts missing, if we've only heard from one side, if we don't know what was happening right before the event, we should wait.  We shouldn't give the other side free ammo, that's not how you win a fight.  Yes yes, I know I've done it, so has everybody that's ever weighed in on a current event.

Hell, even after the facts are in, people will still put Micheal Brown on the same lists as George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Freddie Gray.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »

lol the movement has fallen off the rails already for racial justice

It has? Last I checked, Nascar gave in to removing Confederate flags. As I noted earlier, that alone is pretty huge.

Anyway, this. No one is really at fault. This is neither an incident of racially motivated intimidation nor a Jussie Smollett hoax.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

Point of order. I called Jessie Smollett initial story out as probable BS, or at least highly unlikely, as soon as it aired.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »

The vast majority of the time it's not a hoax, but the hoaxes are all the right bothers to remember.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 06:49:31 PM »

Given how it coincided with the large Confederate flag Caravan outside the racetrack, an the recent decision to ban Confederate Flags to the outrage of many redneck minded fans, suspecting or even assuming it was a racist motivated message was hardly an outrageous hypothesis.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »

NASCAR needs to consider permanently closing their doors. Their sport is just too tied to White Supremacy, and any attempt to fix it is too little, too late.

The NRA as well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »

I refuse to believe that he simply did not notice this. I actually believed him because it seemed to easy a case to solve. In other words, I refused to believe he was stupid enough to pull off a fake hate crime. Guess I was wrong.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »

Jimtrex is right Commies

HOAX CRIME.(tbf no proof that Bubba Wallace did anything here)
There is video showing a walk-through of the garages on racing shows that shows a line of rope connected to each garage door that has a loop on the end that can be used to pull down the doors. They look to be really heavy-duty metal doors, so I'd expect that they also had electric motors on them, so the rope was a backup (I wouldn't place a pull on the side, but that is the way it is).

There is a picture of Door 4 with the pull-down rope either broken or cut. If it was broken, the remaining loop could have been set aside. The FBI report suggests that there is a video of this loop from October 2019, but they might just have the video showing the broken/cut rope from that time, and looked at it and said, "yep it matches", or maybe they sent it to the lab and checked for fiber matches or neck prints.

This is a lot like the case where some "nooses" were found in an Oakland park tied to trees. Liberal Libby Schaaf was outraged. A black man came forward and said the rope swings were used as an informal exercise course (hopefully not for cosplaying Tarzan).

People are prejudiced, and fill in details to make sense of it. A witness to an accident will fill in details for parts that they did not actually observe. I can remember a couple of accidents where I was sure that a car had been T-boned. In one case, a car came from the left side with another car coming through a light on the feeder. But the car that I had imagined as being hit on the side had been hit in the rear as it was just able to change direction before being hit. In another, I heard more than saw an accident with a car sliding through an intersection, that had to be a T-bone. It was a single car accident, the noise had probably been the car driving over an island. The driver had disappeared before I got there.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »

NASCAR needs to consider permanently closing their doors. Their sport is just too tied to White Supremacy, and any attempt to fix it is too little, too late.

The NRA as well.

English should be replaced as our language as well because it too is a tool of propagating racism and supremacy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »

I refuse to believe that he simply did not notice this. I actually believed him because it seemed to easy a case to solve. In other words, I refused to believe he was stupid enough to pull off a fake hate crime. Guess I was wrong.

The report says he was assigned garage number four. Perhaps I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds like that assignment was recent. Which would indicate he noticed the Noose only recently.

Seems presumptuous to assume Bubba Wallace would try to draw this type of attention to himself like Jessie Smollett.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »

Given how it coincided with the large Confederate flag Caravan outside the racetrack, an the recent decision to ban Confederate Flags to the outrage of many redneck minded fans, suspecting or even assuming it was a racist motivated message was hardly an outrageous hypothesis.
Lawyers are taught to propagandize, inviting jurors to fill in details based on their perception and prejudices. Sometimes they even deceive themselves.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »

The report says he was assigned garage number four. Perhaps I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds like that assignment was recent. Which would indicate he noticed the Noose only recently.

Seems presumptuous to assume Bubba Wallace would try to draw this type of attention to himself like Jessie Smollett.

He wasn't. He didn't even see it. NASCAR was likely trying to get a photo op showing their love for a fellow driver to protect itself from the bad press of its fans showing up with a zillion Confederate flag protesting the league's decision. It was to create a fake hate crime supporting their stance that what they call a hate symbol needs to be banned and fewer people are enthusiastic about flaunting their rural pride. Bubba had nothing to do with it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:01 PM »

Bubba went on national news today, AFTER being interviewed by the FBI and called anyone doubting the story "simple minded".  He of course knew by that time that this whole thing was a fake.  It probably took about 20 minutes of investigation to realize that this was a rope to open a garage door, not a "noose".  He decided that he wanted to milk up the media attention anyway.  Thats on him, and he's not a victim.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies