Democrats’ sweeping new police reform bill, explained
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats’ sweeping new police reform bill, explained
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats’ sweeping new police reform bill, explained  (Read 423 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »

House and Senate Democrats unveiled a new policing reform bill on Monday in the wake of George Floyd’s killing at the hands of a now-former Minneapolis police officer and the weeks of protests against police brutality that followed.

The Justice in Policing Act of 2020 contains a number of measures that make it easier to prosecute police misconduct and demilitarize police departments around the country.

The bill’s biggest provision seeks to end qualified immunity, a thorny legal issue that gives police officers and other public officials broad immunity from civil lawsuits. The US Supreme Court, which has upheld the qualified-immunity doctrine in past rulings, is currently deciding whether to hear arguments next term in a case challenging qualified immunity.

The legislation also incorporates a proposal from Sen. Cory Booker that would create a new national registry to track misconduct as a way to prevent repeat offenders from being rehired at other police departments.

[...]
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

I believe ending qualified immunity is the largest step in the right direction in the bill. If police officers know they can get away with using lethal force all the time, there's no reason that they'll stop doing it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »

The "database" thing turns me off because I don't feel the Government should ever keep any data on anybody.

The "qualified immunity" thing will never happen. 100%.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »

I don't like ending qualified immunity because it accurately reflects well the reality police find themselves in as officers of the law - the police need not be hit with frivolous lawsuits, this will run the risk of degrading the quality of law enforcement and force police departments to choose between enforcing the law and preserving their finances. Qualified immunity is not the problem - the presence of white supremacists, the poisonous race relations in some locales, the continued socio-economic underclass status for many blacks in this country, and other things are the core of the problem.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »

any law that allows police to steal things and get away with it with a "what, is that wrong?  Should I not have done that?  I had no idea.  Color me embarrassed!" excuse<---that's a PDF
The panel held that at the time of the incident, there was no clearly established law holding that officers violate the Fourth or Fourteenth Amendment when they steal property seized pursuant to a warrant. For that reason, the City Officers were entitled to qualified immunity.
is a bad law.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »

I don't like ending qualified immunity because it accurately reflects well the reality police find themselves in as officers of the law - the police need not be hit with frivolous lawsuits, this will run the risk of degrading the quality of law enforcement and force police departments to choose between enforcing the law and preserving their finances. Qualified immunity is not the problem - the presence of white supremacists, the poisonous race relations in some locales, the continued socio-economic underclass status for many blacks in this country, and other things are the core of the problem.
Ending qualified immunity would just put police officers on the same level as other government officials who get sued in federal court for violating constitutional rights. The federal courts are pretty adept at throwing out frivolous lawsuits along those lines.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »

Ending qualified immunity would just put police officers on the same level as other government officials who get sued in federal court for violating constitutional rights. The federal courts are pretty adept at throwing out frivolous lawsuits along those lines.
Policing is fundamentally unlike other governmental functions though, and is in fact completely necessary for all of them to be able to continue in operation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies