"Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:47:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: "Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings  (Read 2304 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2020, 12:46:16 AM »

It's pretty amazing that so many here can not seem to grasp the difference between this show and shows like Law and Order: SVU, NCIS and Blue Bloods and why those shows are not at risk.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2020, 12:51:18 AM »

It's pretty amazing that so many here can not seem to grasp the difference between this show and shows like Law and Order: SVU, NCIS and Blue Bloods and why those shows are not at risk.

My opinion is that there is no difference. If it has cops, it shouldn't be shown on TV in this climate period, and I hope network executives realize that.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 12:55:42 AM »

My opinion is that there is no difference. If it has cops, it shouldn't be shown on TV in this climate period, and I hope network executives realize that.

Blue Bloods is an excellent show and should not get cancelled .
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 05:49:35 AM »

I have never seen it, but I do love the theme song.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2020, 06:07:41 AM »

I have never seen it, but I do love the theme song.
The world-famous pro ice hockey team the Toronto Maple Leafs used to have a player named Brad Boyes who was known as a goal-scorer, and one of my favourite hockey memes ever is "Brad Boyes, Brad Boyes, watchta gonna do? Whatchya gonna do when he comes for you?".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »

Cops shows will be back, they do a great job in ridding the roads of DUI and narcotic drug addicts are still gonna be arrested. Thats why there will be another show
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »

Ratings were probably down
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:18 AM »

Cops was moved to Spike several years ago after it was cancelled by Fox, and as has been noted on here, hardly anyone watches Spike. Moreover, the program has lost its novelty after more than thirty years, and people are finally recognizing its exploitative and cheap nature.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 09:42:46 AM »

Live PD is better anyway. Cops had a good run.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »

Cops was moved to Spike several years ago after it was cancelled by Fox, and as has been noted on here, hardly anyone watches Spike. Moreover, the program has lost its novelty after more than thirty years, and people are finally recognizing its exploitative and cheap nature.

I should add, I hate the TV Show COPS. Always have.

That being said, I don't think it should be removed.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »

That would be conceding to the radical minority who does demonize cops and it's a ridiculous stance. It'd be conveying all police officers are so evil that they shouldn't even be depicted on screen, which I hope you don't actually advocate.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »

I should add, I hate the TV Show COPS. Always have.

That being said, I don't think it should be removed.
Why not? Shows come and go all the time.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 09:56:16 AM »

That would be conceding to the radical minority who does demonize cops and it's a ridiculous stance. It'd be conveying all police officers are so evil that they shouldn't even be depicted on screen, which I hope you don't actually advocate.

In this political climate they shouldn't be shown on screen in a positive light. Cops are bad people, in general, and should be treated as such by Hollywood.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »

In this political climate they shouldn't be shown on screen in a positive light. Cops are bad people, in general, and should be treated as such by Hollywood.

I'm not sure this would be a wise course of action to take. And as it is, Law and Order: SVU in particular, has been criticized by the conservative media watchdog Newsbusters for being "woke", "SJW", and "skewed to the left" in its portrayal of law enforcement, victims, and cases. I've seen many comments from right-leaning types denouncing the program for being "anti-police."
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 04:02:32 PM »

Good. It was a disgusting and exploitative show.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 05:14:58 PM »

The cultural Marxist bad boys came for COPS. They'll come for all things good and decent sooner or later. If you're on the Right, vote GOP up and down the ballot like your life depends on it, because it does.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2020, 11:08:09 PM »

The cultural Marxist bad boys came for COPS. They'll come for all things good and decent sooner or later. If you're on the Right, vote GOP up and down the ballot like your life depends on it, because it does.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2020, 05:26:38 PM by True Federalist »

For me, C.O.P.S. will always be this:

An 1988 cartoon series set in the far future year of 2020.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2020, 06:06:13 PM »

I seriously had no idea that it was still even on the air.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/olivia-benson-svu-mariska-hargitay-canceled-cops-1014181/

See, someone agrees with me on canceling Law and Order: SVU.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »

It's just a f****** TV show.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2020, 11:43:34 AM »

It's just a f****** TV show.
So? If I have learned anything in the last few years, its that the slippery slope cliche is true.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »

Once the George Floyd protest die down, it will go back to normal. Cops by and large are good deterrence of crimes
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2020, 09:25:55 PM »

If the only cops on tv are psychopaths, who do you think are going to be attracted to it as a profession?
roxas11
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2020, 09:49:48 PM »

This show was on air for 24 years
so forgive me for not being up upset that its now being canceled

they had good run but as the old saying goes
"Everything that has beginning has an end"

In many was Cops was product of its time
this show the created in the late 80s in a time when the War on drugs and being tough on crime was super popular crime. the death penalty was also popular when the show was at the peak of its popularity.

the show never really changed despite the fact that the america people views about law enforcement since the 1980s definitely has changed

Maybe if the show had made an attempt to actually address some the more controversial and complex aspects of the police they could have lasted longer.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies