"Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:14:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "Cops" TV show cancelled amid George Floyd killings  (Read 2381 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:14:38 PM »

The law enforcement profession is now tainted. Now, again, who would want the job?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cops-tv-show-canceled-amid-unrest-over-death-george-floyd-n1228906
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:27:33 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 09:32:53 PM by George Floyd Protests BAD, Charlottesville Protest GOOD »

Amazing that the hooker with a heart of gold argument holds weight with so many people.
If you're talking about Floyd, wow. Stay classy.

EDIT - OK never mind that's not what you meant.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »

Amazing that the hooker with a heart of gold argument holds weight with so many people.
If you're talking about Floyd, wow. Stay classy.

I wasn't referencing that at all. What happened to Mr. Floyd was wrong and should not have occurred.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 09:32:34 PM »

What does this post mean?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »

I posted this in 2019, a year and half before anything about George Floyd:

You're wrong. I'm a right-wing authoritarian. I believe that all criminals are equal scum. I see moral equivalency between a meth-head white guy who robs a woman in New York and a black militant thug in Chicago or a Mexican born illegal immigrant committing crime in Arizona.

Criminals are all scum and to be honest, as an authoritarian, I wish we had more effective and swift justice against them.

If the illegal immigrants looked like Swedes, I'd still be against illegal immigration. A criminal is a criminal. A thug is a thug. I don't care if they are black or white, young or old, straight or gay, man or women. I believe if they are a criminal, they should be dealt with in the harshest, most severe way possible. Period.

Imagine for a moment, a black state trooper, blows away some white crackhead with a knife in his hand. Do you really think I would defend the crackhead over the cop? Even though the cop is black, and I'm white, do you really think that? You know damn well I'd be applauding the black officer and saying "rot in hell" to the white scumbag. I don't care about the race of the criminal. A thug is a thug. Guilty criminals should be eliminated. Period.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »

lol
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »

'Cops' may be gone, but 'Law and Order: SVU' and 'NCIS' will likely survive.  
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »

Sad.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:27:52 PM »

The latter two will definitely survive. The George Floyd atrocity isn't going to purge television of all crime-related drama programs. The latter two are different from Cops in that they tend to contain an element of "self-reflection", if you will, and adopt a decidedly sympathetic view towards those who are seen as victims. They also tend to show corruption, and remedies against corruption, within the system. Cops, on the other hand, exploited the lives of its "suspects" for the purpose of entertainment, very similar to how Jerry Springer and the old "Trash TV" programs exploited the lives of its "guests."
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:30:30 PM »

If I'm an NBC/CBS executive, I would seriously consider canceling Law and Order SVU/NCIS... especially Law and Order SVU.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »

If I'm an NBC/CBS executive, I would seriously consider canceling Law and Order SVU/NCIS... especially Law and Order SVU.

From the perspective of longevity, one could push for their cancellation. They've been on the air for 17 and 21 years, respectively, and it's always a good idea for networks to "keep up with the times." However, if you cancel these, are you going to cancel all programs of that genre? That could very well be construed as an overreaction of sorts.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 10:32:42 PM »

Damn, I loved that show.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 10:35:24 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 10:39:17 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

As an advisor, I would strongly encourage you not to do it as that would be an overreaction to current events, as well as unnecessary.  You wouldn't want to anger the fan-base, and inspire a backlash that would imperil not just the bottom-line, but also the Black Lives Matter cause, which is I assume why you are considering doing this in the first place. 
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »

Also, Reno 911! is back. Smiley
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 10:40:51 PM »

As an advisor, I would strongly encourage you not to do it as that would be an overreaction to current events, as well as unnecessary.  You wouldn't want to anger the fan-base, and inspire a backlash that would imperil not just the bottom-line, but also the Black Lives Matter cause, which is I assume why you are considering doing this in the first place. 

NCIS probably could survive on the grounds that it's military cops (hence different rules and everything), but I'd argue there really is no place for a Law and Order (or any other show) with a normal police department in the current climate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 10:44:00 PM »

Hopefully Blue Bloods doesn’t get cancelled
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »

NCIS probably could survive on the grounds that it's military cops (hence different rules and everything), but I'd argue there really is no place for a Law and Order (or any other show) with a normal police department in the current climate.

I think Black Lives Matter activists would be willing to make an exception for 'Law and Order: SVU' since it is a show that deals with sexually-based offenses.  Why would anyone be offended seeing a rapist or a child molester being sent to prison?  

Now you might have had a case regarding the original 'Law and Order', except it was canceled a decade ago after twenty years.  
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 10:48:44 PM by money printer go brrr »

Not interested in watching police officers push around poor people, no matter what race they are.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

I think Black Lives Matter activists would be willing to make an exception for 'Law and Order: SVU' since it is a show that deals with sexually-based offenses.  Why would anyone be offended seeing a rapist or a child molester being sent to prison?  

Dude, we're almost to the point where a bank robber shooting at people being killed would mourned.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 10:48:47 PM »

I think Black Lives Matter activists would be willing to make an exception for 'Law and Order: SVU' since it is a show that deals with sexually-based offenses.  Why would anyone be offended seeing a rapist or a child molester being sent to prison? 

Dude, we're almost to the point where a bank robber shooting at people being killed would mourned.

First off, there's a huge difference between bank robbers and rapists. Second, we're not at that point yet. Generally, we seem to be more willing to forgive the police when the person they shoot is actually shooting at them or someone else.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 10:51:05 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 11:44:12 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Hopefully Blue Bloods doesn’t get cancelled

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, and I'd rate it's chances of getting axed at higher than Law and Order: SVU (SVU at least is still getting good ratings, Blue Bloods doesn't seem to be doing very well in comparison.)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 11:15:04 PM »

All this concern over bootlicking programming lmao
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 12:03:39 AM »

Glorious news Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 12:27:24 AM »

It is still being produced?

It is a prime example of cheaply-made, forgettable reality TV.  Good riddance!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies