HB 24-14: Permanent Punishment Reform Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:25:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 24-14: Permanent Punishment Reform Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 24-14: Permanent Punishment Reform Act (Passed)  (Read 804 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
« edited: June 24, 2020, 02:05:57 PM by Speaker Thumb21 »

Permanent Punishment Abolition Act

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

SECTION I: NAME

1. This may be cited as the Permanent Punishment Abolition Act

SECTION II: ABOLITION OF PERMANENT PUNISHMENTS
1. No federal crimes punishable according to federal laws may carry an indefinite or otherwise permanent sentence of prison
2. No federal crimes punishable according to federal laws may carry a prison sentence longer than 40 years in prison.
3. Upon expiration of a maximum 40-year prison term, the court of original jurisdiction shall review convicts seeking release and decide whether release shall or shall not be granted on the basis of (a) the gravity of the crime for which they were convicted, and (b) whether the convict has shown positive signs of rehabilitation.  Prison terms may be extended indefinitely in five-year increments.
4. Prisoners over the age of 75 shall be given the option to finish the remainder of their sentence under home arrest instead of in prison. This shall not apply to prisoners convicted of terrorism or belonging to other illegal organizations; including but not limited to mafias and criminal gangs.
5. Current offenders who have served more than 40 years in prison shall be subject to mandatory review upon enactment of this act.

SECTION III: FURTHER ENCOURAGING BETTER USE OF PRISON SENTENCES
1. The Atlasian Congress hereby encourages the regions to pass similar bills to this one for the reduction of prison sentences.
2. The Atlasian Congress hereby establishes that the main guiding principle of the justice system shall be rehabilitation and not punishment, and that all prisoners shall be given the support they need towards their reintegration in society after their prison sentences expire.

SECTION IV: ENACTMENT
1. This bill shall be enacted 1 week after passage

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Sponsor: Thumb21
House Designation: HR 24-14

72 hours to debate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:47:15 PM »

So people like the Boston Bomber and OKC Bomber should have been given an opportunity to be released
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »

So people like the Boston Bomber and OKC Bomber should have been given an opportunity to be released

The gravity of a prisoner's crime would be weighed into the decision so it's unlikely that they'd have a chance of release unless they'd behaved perfectly while in prison and shown genuine progress on their rehabilitation.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »

The gravity of a prisoner's crime would be weighed into the decision so it's unlikely that they'd have a chance of release unless they'd behaved perfectly while in prison and shown genuine progress on their rehabilitation.

I dont think this is a good way to do this though

I think a better bill would be to abolish mandatory life without parole sentences for any crime with the exception of Terroism , for Serial Killers and for Drug Kingpins and give judges the discretion in what the sentence should be, but the option itself should not be removed
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »

I dont think this is a good way to do this though

I think a better bill would be to abolish mandatory life without parole sentences for any crime with the exception of Terroism , for Serial Killers and for Drug Kingpins and give judges the discretion in what the sentence should be, but the option itself should not be removed

I'd be fine with an exception for terrorists, serial killers and drug kingpins though I don't think it would really make much difference given that the severity of the crime is already taken into account as the bill is written.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 11:00:20 PM »

I cannot support a bill that abolishes life sentences. There are some criminals that are just too dangerous to be released back into society. With that said, I do think rehabilitation is important to emphasize for many prisoners. I will propose the following amendment that can hopefully serve as a decent compromise:

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted by the House of Representatives and the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

1. This may be cited as the Permanent Punishment Abolition Reform Act

1. No federal crimes punishable according to federal laws may carry an indefinite or otherwise permanent sentence of prison
2. No federal crimes punishable according to federal laws may carry a prison sentence longer than 40 years in prison.
1. Upon expiration of a maximum 40-year prison term the 40-year anniversary of an indefinite prison sentence, the court of original jurisdiction shall review convicts seeking release and decide whether release shall or shall not be granted on the basis of (a) the gravity of the crime for which they were convicted, and (b) whether the convict has shown positive signs of rehabilitation.  Prison terms may be extended indefinitely in five-year increments.
2. Prisoners over the age of 75 shall be given the option to finish have a review conducted by the original court of jurisdiction on whether to allow the remainder of their sentence under home arrest instead of in prison. This shall not apply to prisoners convicted of terrorism or belonging to other illegal organizations; including but not limited to mafias and criminal gangs.
3. Current offenders who have served more than 40 years in prison shall be subject to mandatory review upon enactment of this act.

1. The Atlasian Congress hereby encourages the regions to pass similar bills to this one for the reduction of prison sentences.
2. The Atlasian Congress hereby establishes that the main guiding principle of the justice system shall be rehabilitation and not punishment, and that all prisoners shall be given the support they need towards their reintegration in society after their prison sentences expire.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:21:01 PM »

Amendment Friendly
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:40 AM »

I’m against even considering releasing dangerous criminals into the public. So I will be voting nay not matter what.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 12:08:26 AM »

I fully oppose this bill as currently written and will vote against any similar amended version in the Senate.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »

I support the amendment though I think that the reviews every 5 years after the 40 year review should be kept because they provide those prisoners with a clear insentive to continue their efforts to rehabilitate even if they don't pass the first review.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:24:20 AM »

Amendment is adopted
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »

Why is everyone so against giving people a second chance at life if they really show proof that they have corrected themselves and are rehabilitated?

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 12:44:47 PM »

Why is everyone so against giving people a second chance at life if they really show proof that they have corrected themselves and are rehabilitated?

Actions speak louder than words. And someone who has murdered another in cold blood really deserves to be put to death. In the alternative, life imprisonment should mean life.

You get more of what you subsidize.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 12:53:39 PM »

Actions speak louder than words. And someone who has murdered another in cold blood really deserves to be put to death. In the alternative, life imprisonment should mean life.

Indeed since actions speak louder than words, people who have proven that they have changed and atoned for their previous sins should be let off ot have a second chance.

As for the death penalty, it is constitutionally banned; but even if it wasn't; given my thoughts on life imprisonment I suppose you can make a guess to what I think about the death penalty Tongue
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »

An amendment which applies the review to all sentences over 40 years, wouldn't make much sense if someone on a life sentence gets a review but someone in prison for 45 years who presumably committed a less severe crime gets no review. It allows for the review to happen every 5 years rather than just one at 40 years and it also exempts serial killers from the possibility of being moved to house arrest.

SENATE BILL

1. This may be cited as the Permanent Punishment Reform Act

1. Upon the 40-year anniversary of an indefinite prison sentence, the court of original jurisdiction shall review convicts seeking release and decide whether release shall or shall not be granted on the basis of (a) the gravity of the crime for which they were convicted, and (b) whether the convict has shown positive signs of rehabilitation.
2. The review of prisoners under subsection (1) shall be repeated every 5 years for those prisoners who are not released on the initial review.
3. Prisoners over the age of 75 shall have a review conducted by the original court of jurisdiction on whether to allow the remainder of their sentence under home arrest instead of in prison. This shall not apply to prisoners convicted of terrorism, the murder of three or more people or belonging to other illegal organizations; including but not limited to mafias and criminal gangs.
4. Current offenders who have served more than 40 years in prison shall be subject to mandatory review upon enactment of this act.

Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 07:06:44 PM »

Indeed since actions speak louder than words, people who have proven that they have changed and atoned for their previous sins should be let off ot have a second chance.

As for the death penalty, it is constitutionally banned; but even if it wasn't; given my thoughts on life imprisonment I suppose you can make a guess to what I think about the death penalty Tongue

Question: If imprisonment is about rehabilitation, then why make them wait 40 years for review? If, say, a murderer can be rehabilitated in 10 years, then do you believe they should be released?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »

Question: If imprisonment is about rehabilitation, then why make them wait 40 years for review? If, say, a murderer can be rehabilitated in 10 years, then do you believe they should be released?

Well for a start, some crimes do require more rehabilitation than others. No matter how well integrated they claim to be, a serial murderer has an extremely high debt to pay towards society.

Plus let's not kid ourselves; prison still involves an element of punishment; I just don't think it should be its primary focus

Also, there are stuff that are not quite full releases but are still part of a gradual rehabilitation process. Stuff like penitentiary benefits, weekend passes, being free and just sleeping in jail or even the access to further reintegration programs themselves can be given or taken away based on behaviour and process
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »

Amendment is adopted
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix