Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) to retire? (It's official: he will)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) to retire? (It's official: he will)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Sherwood Boehlert (R-NY) to retire? (It's official: he will)  (Read 2101 times)
Galactic Overlord

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:30:34 PM »
« edited: March 17, 2006, 10:08:04 PM by Galactic Overlord »

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--boehlert-retireme0314mar14,0,1399408.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

He's on retirement watch. Discuss.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:33:15 PM »

This is a competitive district, but Republican.

Here's the map:

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »

Bush won 51.85%- 45.90% in 04.

Party enrollment
42.28% GOP, 32.16% DEM, 25.56% 3rd/ ind
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 12:04:26 AM »

Who are the likely contenders to take a gander at this seat should Boehlert retire?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:18:36 AM »

Who are the likely contenders to take a gander at this seat should Boehlert retire?

Mike Arcuri the Oneida County District Attorney,  is the favorite for the Dem nomination, and was expected to give Boehlert a fairly serious run if Boehlert decides to run again.   Some other Dems are in the mix, but Arcuri seems to be the favorite, ex Seneca Falls mayor Brad Jones is probably the most likley Republican in the mix if Boehlert decides to retire.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 05:57:12 AM »

Mike Arcuri the Oneida County District Attorney,  is the favorite for the Dem nomination, and was expected to give Boehlert a fairly serious run if Boehlert decides to run again.   Some other Dems are in the mix, but Arcuri seems to be the favorite, ex Seneca Falls mayor Brad Jones is probably the most likley Republican in the mix if Boehlert decides to retire.

The GOP certainly has the more robust bench upstate because of their ridiculous domination of non-NYC state senate seats.  I have heard State Senator Raymond Meier of Oneida County and State Senator James Seward of Otsego Co. mentioned as possible GOP candidates.  Of the two, Seward's district seems to have more overlap with the 24th, though he lives just outside the district.

On the Democratic side, there's Oneida Co. DA Mike Arcuri, of course, who, it seems, would be a formidable candidate. Oneida assemblywoman Roann Destito has also been mentioned as a potential candidate, but only if Boelhert retires.  Based on her strong election victories in a swing district, I would think she'd have a good chance.

As for the district's political geography: the Western areas seem to (Geneva, Cayuga Co., Tompkins Co, Broome Co) lean Democratic while the fairly populous Herkiner Co. is strongly Republican. 

Oneida county gave Bush a fairly healthy margin in 2004 but Democrats seem to do okay locally and with the potential Democratic contenders having a base there, they may be able to combine a strong Oneida showing with the Democratic areas out west to pull out a win.

Of course, whether the GOP candidate (whether Boehlert or someone else) gets the conservative party line on the ballot will make or break the GOP chances.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 06:30:13 AM »

This is a competitive district, but Republican.

So which is it, competitive or Republican? Wink

I like Boehlert, he's a good moderate like Chris Shays.

I've been to Herkimer County, its pretty rural, although not as much as the Adirondack Park. Upstate New York is Republican by tradition, probably b/c they saw the Democrats as the NYC party. They are less libertarian, slightly more socially conservative than New Hampshire, but to the left of Central PA. 
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 10:25:02 AM »

Actually, Boehlert has been able to survive without getting the Conservative line (he lost it to a challenger in the Republican primary). I don't remember the margin, but he still won handily with just the Republican line that year.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »

The 2004 presidential election in New York is not really representative of how things are there now.  Bush enjoyed a big swing in NY that year.  In 2000 Gore won 60%-35%, in 2004 Kerry won 58%-40%.  In Boehlert's District, Bush only won 48%-47% in 2000.  Also, take into account the huge margin that Eliot Spitzer is likely to win the Gubernatorial race by and the collapse of the NY Republican party; they will lose the Governor's Mansion, the Legislature and possibly one or two Congressional seats this year.  I think the Democrats can at least make this race very competetive, or win, if indeed Boehlert retires.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »

Actually, Boehlert has been able to survive without getting the Conservative line (he lost it to a challenger in the Republican primary). I don't remember the margin, but he still won handily with just the Republican line that year.

Well, yeah.  But when facing a real Democratic challenger, things would get more messy for him.  In a slightly overlapping upstate senate district Demoratic Senator Velasky eked out a miniscule lead over the incumbent Republican when there was also a conservative.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »

Per HRH, he will, indeed, retire.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »

Bush won this district in both 2000 and 2004 by 4-5%.

Galactic Overlord

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 07:15:35 PM »

Well, yeah.  But when facing a real Democratic challenger, things would get more messy for him.  In a slightly overlapping upstate senate district Demoratic Senator Velasky eked out a miniscule lead over the incumbent Republican when there was also a conservative.

Maybe. I don't know upstate New York to a tee, it seems on the local level the Republicans do a lot better than on the federal.  James Walsh wins his district handily even though Kerry won it by three points.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »

It's official.  Boehlert is out.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/3731199.html
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 05:36:46 PM »

I give the Republicans the edge in this district. Upstate Republican congressmen tend to run ahead of Republican presidential candidates.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 01:31:31 AM »

I give the Republicans the edge in this district. Upstate Republican congressmen tend to run ahead of Republican presidential candidates.

granted I know much more about Long Island and downstate NY then I do about upstate, but at this point it seems that Oneida County District Attorney Mike Arcuri (the Democratic frontrunner) is the strongest candidate from either side.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »

State Senator Ray Meier (R) announces he will run for Boehlert's seat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies