Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Poll
Question: How many primary debates should there be?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread  (Read 17771 times)
RGM2609
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:26 AM »

Feingold signs pledge not to privatize Social Security, asks other candidates to sign it as well.

At a rally with AFL-CIO members in Iowa, Russ Feingold took a lot of time to discuss Social Security, and the dangers that it faces in this election. Here is what he had to say -

- Wall Street and the corporate hacks are desperate for blood after 16 years out of power, and they are planning to go after your Social Security benefits. They want Wall Street to own your retirement benefits, and I will not stand for it. Many on the right, and secretly many on the left, want to also raise the retirement age, which would be unfair to our seniors. Instead of punishing hard-working seniors, I will raise taxes on millionaires and billionaires in order to ensure that Social Security is sound in the future, for decades to come. So, today, I am signing a pledge called Protecting Our Seniors in which I promise not to raise the retirement age or privatize the program, and I ask all of my fellow competitors to do the same. It is vital for our seniors to know where the candidates stand on this.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2020, 08:07:19 AM »

Senator Nunn signs Senator Feingold's pledge to not privatize Social Security.
RGM2609
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »

Feingold signs pledge to Repeal-and-Replace NAFTA, asks other candidates to do the same

During the same speech, Feingold also took time to discuss the infamous trade agreement called NAFTA, which he characterized as the biggest disaster in the last 50 years, and signed a pledge promising that, if he is elected, he will make it a priority to renegotiate NAFTA. He said the following things -

- NAFTA is clearly the worst thing to have ever happened to the Midwest, including my state of Wisconsin, as well as one the worst things to have ever happened to this country. It is a Reaganist, Bushist and Corporatist policy that the Democrats should have killed off in 1992. Now, after more of 15 years since it started causing devastation, we need to renegotiate it in order to save our workers. I will sign a pledge to Repeal-and-Replace it and I urge all of my opponents to do the same. It must be a national priority to get this done.
romanthaddeus007
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »

**DASCHLE MARCH SCHEDULE**
March 6th: Major Rally in Austin, Texas to promote Universal Healthcare
March 7th: Medium Rally in Nashville, Tennessee, to promote expanding NATO to Eastern Europe
March 8th: Town Hall in Montevallo, Alabama, plus a medium-sized rally in Birmingham on civil rights issues
March 10th: Daschle returns to the campaign unveils “Stay the Course: The Daschle for America Platform”
March 11-15th: Daschle travels through Hillsborough, Carrol, Strafford, and Rockingham counties in New Hampshire attending multiple town halls and small rallies
March 17th: Major rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, plus a campaign office opening
March 18th: Major rally in Boston, Massachusetts, plus a town hall in Newton, MA
March 19th: Campaign office opened in Providence, Rhode Island plus an interview with Greta Van Susteren
March 20th: Senator Daschle meets with AFL-CIO leaders, Does a Major Rally in NYC and opens a campaign office
March 22nd: Major Rally in Orlando, Florida along with a campaign office opening
March 24th: Minor Rally in Ft. Lauderdale, plus a town hall
March 25th: Major rally in Atlanta, campaign office opening, town hall
March 26th: Interview in CNN Atlanta studios plus a visit to the Coca-Cola museum
March 28th-March 31st: Beginning of the “Iowa for Daschle” bus tour with Tom Harkin, that begins Jackson, Clinton, Scott, Muscatine, Des Moines, Louisa, and Lee Counties and will continue into april.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2020, 12:00:54 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:53:02 PM by KaiserDave »

Schweitzer Campaign Strategy

Governor Brian Schweitzer has hired a full campaign strategy team, including Tad Devine, Tom Vilsack (reserved endorsement) and Bernie Sanders to assist in his victory for the Democratic nomination. They have developed a comprehensive strategy to deliver victory in early primary states, and build a broad coalition to make Governor Schweitzer the Democratic nominee. The campaign is focusing broadly on New Hampshire and Iowa, while relegating South Carolina and Nevada to lesser positions. However the strategy is more specifically implemented as well. At most campaign stops surrogates will be utilized.

• Appealing to Progressive Voters on Brian's Single Payer Proposal and Anti-NAFTA Position
  • Appealing to Moderates and Conservatives on Brian's Gun Position and Partial Birth Abortion Ban
  • Appealing to Rural Voters on Guns, Energy, and Rural Infrastructure as well as Montana background
  • Appealing to Urban Voters on Healthcare and Brian's vast education record
  • Appealing to Suburban Voters on Brian's vast education record, Energy Independence, and Bipartisan Credentials (Brian's LG is a Republican that he picked)

The strategy is designed to win the first two primary states, and give Governor Schweitzer the momentum he needs to become at least, competitive in every single state.

Ballotpedia

Schweitzer Radio Interview

Host: Welcome back to KXEL Waterloo/Cedar Rapids, we've got a very special guest for everybody. Presidential candidate, Governor of Montana Brian Schweitzer! How's it going Governor?

Brian Schweitzer: Thanks (host first name), well I'm well. Getting to know the state of Iowa pretty well, and I think I'm enjoying it. It's not unlike home.

Host: Why's that?

Brian Schweitzer: Well when I opened the car door for the first time, after pushing it past a snowbank I nearly got nicked with hail! But you know we're not unlike, the hunting is good, the nature's boundless, and the people got good common sense. I think it's good that the first caucus is her because Iowans have great perception to see who is and who isn't.

Host: Well Governor, we've got some listener questions coming, but first, why are you running for the hardest most grueling job in the world?

Brian Schweitzer: Well I'm concerned where this country is headed. When I see how childish Washington is, or rather how corrupt it can be, where big oil, big pharma, big banks run the show and small town America gets the finger. This is a problem in both parties, both parties have a problem with big money and with single minded partisan thinking. I think President Gore has certainly done well to keep our country safe from right wing radicals, but I think we're moving off course in some respects. Then I look at Montana, where in just two years we've got wages up by 15 thousand, where we've expanded early childhood education, we're getting those domestic energy sources but protecting our natural parks for hunters and fisherman, and yes if all goes well we'll have universal healthcare, I think yes we can do better. So here I am, running as the people's democrat.

Host: Well we're gonna go to listeners now, we've got Jessie from Waterloo, Jessie?

Jessie: Governor, how will you pay for your single payer proposal? I've heard on the news it could cost trillions in new taxes???

Brian Schweitzer: Don't worry Jesse, that's never going to happen. We can do it in Montana by cutting administrative costs left and right, importing Canadian drugs, and allowing Blue Cross to continue to operate, and if the State Legislature sees the wisdom in it, I believe they'll be voting this month, we'll get universal healthcare. And this is all without a statewide sales tax. If elected I'll look to implement comprehensive healthcare reform on the national level and encourage states to develop systems that work for them, I hope its single payer. I think Gorecare is a start, but it has problems in regards to Medicare, as well as how much big pharma is gonna take off the gravy train of government. I would implement an affordable public option to compete with private insurance as a start, and all without a cent more paid by middle class taxpayers.

Host: Now we have Herman from Iowa City.

Herman: Yes, uh, the last time I voted for a democrat party candidate was uhh, Jimmy Carter. Why are you different sir? I hear all these liberals and left wing uh policies, like releasing all druggies, that's not democrat that's crazy. Why are you different?

Brian Schweitzer: I like that question Herman because it speaks to me in particular, before I was elected Governor of Montana we hadn't had a Democratic Governor in 20 years. I won because I said, we have these common problems, low wages, expensive prescription drugs, low access to kindergarten, let's fix them. So me and a Republican teamed up won the race and we got to work. Now our prescription drugs are cheaper, our wages are higher, we have more access to kindergarten, and Montana is moving forward. When it comes to how I'm different on policy you know I keep saying this but I'm not ashamed of supporting gun rights. I'm a gun owner, I'm a hunter, I'm a fisherman and I'm gonna say it. I think we need strong background checks, but I think otherwise we gotta leave responsible gun owners alone. And Herman you can bet if we get millions of drug criminals back on the streets we're gonna need background checks and we're gonna need armed and trained gun owners. But if I win that's not going to happen.

Schedule

(Unscheduled days are day to day Governor activities)

June 2nd: Governor Schweitzer rolls out national energy strategy in Des Moines Iowa

Quote from: Schweitzer Energy Strategy
Main Points
  • Energy Independence by 2016
  • Cut Red Tape for new Natural Gas and Oil Drilling
  • New Funding for Clean Coal Research and Carbon Sequestration
  • Tax Credits for Wind, Solar, and Hydroelectric Energy
  • Biofuel and Ethanol Subsidies
  • Protection of Public Lands

June 6th-13rd: Governor Schweitzer continues 99 County Tour of Iowa
June 17th-20th: Governor Schweitzer conducts 10 County Tour of New Hampshire
June 23rd: Governor Schweitzer gives peech in Boston on Liberty and the Dangers of a Security State
June 25th: Governor Schweitzer pickets with Striking UAW Workers in Portland Oregon
June 27th: Governor Schweitzer holds major Rally in Bethlehem Pennsylvania
June 30th: Governor Schweitzer goes on Fox News Sunday to make his case to Republicans
July 2nd: Governor Schweitzer meets with AFL-CIO Leadership to discuss labor policy
July 4th: Governor Schweitzer declares on the fourth of July that America must "declare its independence from petro dictators."
July 8th-14th: Governor Schweitzer ends 99 County Tour of Iowa, ends with Major Rally in Des Moines
July 17th: Governor Schweitzer lays out tax plan in Detroit
Quote from: Schweitzer Tax Plan
Main Points
  • Expanding Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit
  • Eliminate corporate loopholes such as carried interest, and preferred capital gains, mortgage interest deduction
  • Implement Buffet Rule
  • Major Savings for Middle and Lower Class Americans through tax cuts
  • More Funding for the FBI to crack down on tax evasion
July 20th-24th: Governor Schweitzer conducts 10 County Tour of New Hampshire
July 26th-29th: Barnstorming the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »

CLINTON CAMPAIGN SCHEDULE - JULY

July 1st - 3rd | Iowa

July 1st:
Rally in Des Moines, IA
Town Hall in Des Moines, IA on Education Reform

July 2nd:
Roundtable on Environmental Issues in Cedar Rapids, IA
Tour local communities, door knock
Visit local meat processing plant

July 3rd.
Phone Bank in Iowa City, IA
Rally in Iowa City, IA
Town Hall on Women’s Rights.
Fly to New York

July 4th - 5th | New York
July 4th:
Attend NYC 4th of July Celebration with family.
Walk in the 4th of July parade in NYC.
Fundraiser in NYC

July 5th:
Eat at favorite breakfast spot in Chappaqua, NY
Fly to Virginia

July 6th - 7th | Virginia
July 6th:
Fundraiser in Richmond, VA
Rally in Richmond, VA
Town Hall on Drug Abuse in Richmond, VA

July 7th:
Donate blood in Charleston, VA
Attend campaign office opening in Charleston, VA
Fly to New Hampshire

July 8th - 10th | New Hampshire
July 8th:
Rally in Nashua, NH
Barnstorm in Nashua, NH
Roundtable on Workers Rights in Nashua, NH

July 9th:
Rally in Portsmouth, NH
Town Hall on General Topics in Portsmouth, NH
Tour historical buildings

July 10th:
Meet with local community leaders in Manchester, NH
Meet and Greet with local supporters.
Phone bank undecided voters in Manchester, NH
Fly to South Carolina

July 11th - 13th | South Carolina
July 11th:
Rally in Columbia, SC
Town Hall on Tax Reform in Columbia, SC

July 12th:
Rally in Charleston, SC with President Bill Clinton
Tour local communities
Campaign Strategy Meeting

July 13th:
Roundtable on Economic Justice
Film YouTube video for the Hillary Clinton YouTube channel.
Town Hall on Criminal Justice Reform
Fly to Iowa

July 14th - 16th | Iowa
July 14th:
Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA
Town Hall in Cedar Rapids, IA

July 15th:
Roundtable on Economic Reform
Rally in Iowa City, IA
Meeting with State Democratic Members.

July 16th:
Rally in Des Moines, IA
Roundtable on Farmers Rights
Tour local farm.
Fly to Florida

July 17th - 21st | Florida
July 17th:
Major Rally in Miami, FL with President Bill Clinton
Barnstorm in Miami, FL

July 18th:
Rally in Pensacola, FL
Town Hall on Criminal Justice Reform
Knock on doors in Pensacola, FL

July 19th:
Rally in Jacksonville, FL
Roundtable on Women’s Rights
Interview with Local Newspaper.

July 20th:
Fundraiser in Orlando, FL
Tour Warehouse in Orlando, FL
Town Hall on Racial Equality in Orlando, FL

July 21st:
Eat breakfast at a local dinner
Rally in Tampa, FL
Town Hall on Economic Reform

July 22nd - 24th | New Hampshire
July 22nd:
Rally in Portsmouth, NH
Town Hall on Family Values

July 23rd:
Rally in Manchester, NH
Roundtable on Civil Rights
Town Hall on Women’s Rights

July 24th:
Phonebank in Nashua, NH
Knock on doors in Nashua, NH
Major Rally in Nashua, NH
Fly to Iowa

July 25th - 27th | Iowa
July 25th:
Rally in Sioux City, IA
Town Hall on Economic Reform
Roundtable on Civil Rights

July 26th:
Fundraiser in Iowa City, IA
Barnstorm in Iowa City, IA
Phone Bank in Iowa City, IA
Rally in Iowa City, IA

July 27th:
Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA
Barnstorm in Cedar Rapids, IA
Knock on doors in Cedar Rapids, IA
Fly to Nevada

July 28th - 31st | Nevada
July 28th:
Fundraiser in Las Vegas, NV
Tour local small businesses
Eat dinner at a small restaurant

July 29th:
Rally in Las Vegas, NV
Rally in Reno City, NV
Town Hall on Marijuana Legislation in Reno, NV

July 30th:
Roundtable on Women’s Rights
Rally in Boulder, NV
Interview with CBS

July 31st:
Rally in Carson City, NV
Town Hall on General Topics in Carson City, NV
Phone Bank in Carson City, NV
RGM2609
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »

Iowans ask, Russ Answers - new tour throughout the state

The Feingold campaign wants for its positions on the issues to be widely known and, as such, the Senator will go all in on town halls, answering questions related to all issues. The first one was already held in Des Moines, and it featured Russ answering for 3 hours to the voters. Here are some of the biggest moments of the event -

- The economy, even as strong as it currently is, works just for the very few. What would you do to fix that?

- Well, first of all, I will provide a tax cut to the working families of the country. I will create a credit worth $500 per person, or $1.000 per working family. This credit will be a big boost to all workers in the country. Second of all, I will end income tax for all seniors earning less then 50.000, and simplify tax filings. With this measures, the middle class will get unprecedented tax relief. I will also support small businesses, the backbone of this country, by abolishing capital gains taxes for them. And obviously, I will end the horrible, devastating NAFTA deal. I will tell the leaders of Canada and Mexico, that they either come to the table and negotiate a deal from the scratch to restore fairness in trade or the deal gets outright cancelled. It is as simple as that. Some policies, I will not, under any circumstances, adopt, are hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks for corporations and billionaires. Here is a key difference between me and my opponents. Many, influenced by their donors, are open to passing this kind of plan favoring Wall Street. I am not. Not only will they not get tax cuts, they will get tax hikes to fund programs for workers and help struggling middle class families. And I will also not give tax breaks to outsourcing companies, which cause use to lose hundreds of thousands of jobs, but I will raise their taxes and prevent them from stealing our jobs any longer.

- Our health care system leaves millions of people out, and allows insurance companies to dictate coverage however they please. What would you do to fix that?

- Well, President Gore, as we all know, has tried to fix this, but was stopped by the corporatists in Congress. His plan, Gorecare, was a nice one, and an improvement from our current system, but it did not go far enough to fix the unfairness happening in this industry, which is supposed to protect the lives of Americans not profit off them. My plan will make health insurance affordable and accessible to all, lower health care costs for a working family by over $3.000 and promote public health by constantly increasing its standards and efficiency instead of the private corrupt institutions which have only one goal - to rip off the American people. Unfortunately, that is not what many of my opponents want. I have heard rumors that Wall Street wants to force its puppets to tax health benefits so they can pay for the insane cuts to corporations and billionaires. Under their plans, people with pre-existing conditions will get left out, and funding for programs like Medicare will go down. This is not what the people of our country, many already struggling, need, and I will fight for this horrific future not to become reality.

- Many people living in rural areas feel left behind by Washington, and farmers are being left unable to put food on their table by multinational corporations. What would you do to fix that?

- Well, corporations are invading the rural areas as we speak, devastating the already struggling farms after the disaster called NAFTA, and leaving millions of people to live in poverty. This has to end, and will end under a Feingold Administration. As President, I will make DC turn around and listen to the farmers again. I will fight for farm programs that provide family farmers with stability and predictability. I will implement a $250,000 payment limitation so that we help family farmers - not large corporate agribusiness. I will also support small business development by providing capital for farmers to create value-added enterprises, and improve rural quality of life by combating methamphetamine use, improve health care, improve education, and upgrade infrastructure in rural areas. It speaks louder then all words that I am the first to acknowledge the big struggle of corporations trying to take over agriculture, as even those claiming to be representing the American farmers did not say a word about it. My corporatist opponents will dismiss ethanol so that farmers can not help in solving our energy crisis, reject any initiative to help family farms and instead help large companies and multinational corprorations. The rural areas need the help of Washington DC, and I will be there to be their voice.
RGM2609
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2020, 04:44:56 PM »

The schedule of Senator Feingold for June and July

1st June - 14th June - Iowans ask, Russ answers tour in Iowa, focused mostly on big cities, as well as some rural areas

14th June - 16th June - Brief Farmers ask, Russ answers tour in Nebraska and Kansas

16th June - 23rd June - Nevada asks, Russ answers tour in Nevada

23rd June - 30th June - New Hampshire asks, Russ answers tour in New Hampshire

1st July - Back to Washington DC to present the Energy Plan of Russ Feingold

2nd July - 9th July - New Hampshire rallies, town halls, especially in cities

16th July - 23rd July - Tour of the Midwest

23rd July - 30th July - Rallies in Iowa
RGM2609
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »

Russ Feingold ad - Public Servant, running in Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada

Russ Feingold has been a public servant for 15 years. During it, he has actually helped America. He passed a bipartisan campaign finance reform, which helps ensure that billionaires and corporations are not buying and bribing politicians. He has voted against the disaster called NAFTA, which devastated the American economy, and the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act. Russ believes all Americans should have a chance to fulfill their dreams, not just those as the top, which is why he has consistently argued for universal healthcare and a more progressive tax system, while his opponents are only coming around to this issues now. Russ is someone that you can trust, to fight for your interests, and not for those of Wall Street and the big corporations. Let us elect Russ Feingold in 2008, and make a progressive choice for our future.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2020, 06:16:43 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 06:50:30 PM by Cabbage »

Election Update 2008
with your host, Tom Brokaw

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome to tonight's edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: And tonight we see some intrapartisan division as Senators Allen and McCain go at it in the Republican primary, while the Democrats are beginning to have their own internal debate about modifications to President Gore's healthcare plan; Senator Feingold, in particular, has been loudly calling for additional provisions to the plan, although President Gore has not responded to these demands. As well, we can announce that George Allen won the CPAC presidential preference poll with 24% of the vote, followed by John McCain with 17% and Bobby Jindal with 11%.

Brokaw: And now, of course, for our special guest tonight, Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher. Governor, how are you tonight?

Fletcher: I'm good, Tom. Glad to be here.

Brokaw: And we're glad to have you, as well. Now then, despite outcry from some commentators, you seem to have a strong lead in your gubernatorial race despite simultaneously running for President. What do you think this says about your popularity among your constituents?

Fletcher: Well, I would first like to point out that, at the moment, I am only exploring a Presidential run, but I am humbled by the support from my fellow Kentuckians. We've put Kentucky on the right path, reversed a billion-dollar deficit, cut taxes for everyone, and still increased state education and infrastructure funding. We've made progress in virtually every facet of life. Just four years ago, when the people of Kentucky gave me the opportunity to serve as Governor, we were faced with a stagnant economy, slow job growth. Now, we're fourth in the nation in job growth, and we're one of the fastest growing economies. We're taking on the union bosses, and we're giving people long-needed economic relief. Kentuckians see the progress we're making, and they've got no room for petty politics in their voting decision. We've proven that government was not the solution to our problems, government was the problem. I would be even more humbled if my fellow Kentuckians gave me another four years to keep moving Kentucky forward.

Brokaw: A man humbled by the support of his constituents. Now then, as a former medical professional, what are your thoughts on Gorecare, Governor Schweitzer’s healthcare plan for Montana, and Senator Feingold's list of additions to Gorecare?

Fletcher: I've been in many occupations throughout my life: fighter pilot, engineer, Congressman, now a Governor, but the most passion I've felt in an occupation was in the health care field. In Kentucky, it's been one of my top priorities to protect our sick and elderly and advance Kentucky's healthcare market, with the 'Get Healthy, Kentucky' initiative. Now, it's my opinion that the best way to get more people on healthcare is not to expand the ever-growing role of the federal government in health insurance. The solution is not more government, more government is the problem. I will oppose any new attempts to grow the federal government's role into the healthcare market. What we need right now is a free market approach to healthcare that allows private insurers to compete for lower costs, while repealing current intrusive regulations that allow insurance companies to become monopolies.

Brokaw: A strong supporter of the free market in the medical field. Now then, assuming you do win the Presidency next year, what would you first 100 days be like?

Fletcher: Well, we might be getting a little ahead of ourselves there, but what must be the priority for whoever the next President is is restoring the American social fabric, rolling back the role of the federal government, and re-igniting the American economy. If the Republican Party wins a resounding mandate in 2008, our first priorities must include defending and declaring the right to life, preserving the sanctity of marriage, and unleashing the power of the American economy. These past sixteen years have proven exactly why social liberalism and big government policies are not successful; the first actions of the next President should be undoing these doctrines. A broad tax cut for everyone, undoing job-killing regulations, and eliminating our deficit - this is what the next President must do to reignite and rebuild the might of the American economy.

Brokaw: A strong push for a more conservative America. Finally, Governor, if you could say one thing to the American people, what would it be?

Fletcher: Just 26 years ago, Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President and declared in his inaugural address that, "in this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." After sixteen years of an abandonment of this principle, the American people have witnessed the faults of it. Whoever we elect this November, it is critical to the future of our free society that we elect someone committed to returning to the values of freedom, family values and small government.

Brokaw: Governor Fletcher, always a pleasure to have you on.

Fletcher: Always one to be here, Tom.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in Friday when we interview Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer.

Brokaw: Until then, I'm Tom Brokaw, and this has been your Election Update.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2020, 06:54:39 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 12:15:35 PM by SouthCarolinaAaron »

NBC Democratic Presidential Town Hall
All Images from Wikimedia Commons

Good evening and welcome to NBC's first presidential town hall of the 2008 election. I'm Tim Russert, coming to you from Iowa State University in beautiful Ames, Iowa. Tonight, I'll be serving as your moderator for the Democratic presidential candidates. Tomorrow night, my colleague Brian Williams will be live from the College of Charleston in Charleston, South Carolina with the Republican candidates for president. Later on this week, Rachel Maddow will be at the University of Nevada in Los Vegas, Nevada hosting Independent candidate Donald J. Trump.

For the last few weeks, we've asked the audience to send in questions that you would like to be asked to our presidential candidates, and the audience has delivered. Tonight's rules are simple. Each candidate will have a few moments for opening remarks. Questions will be posed by voters in the audience tonight, voters from across the nation who sent in videos, or by myself.

Responses will be judged based on clarity, length, and of course response from you, the voters. Let's get started and one at a time introduce the Democratic candidates for President of the United States...

Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen...

New York Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton...

South Dakota Senator and Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle...

Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold...

Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel...

Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer...

California Congresswoman Barbara Lee...

Vice President Joe Lieberman...

Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln...

Former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn...

Illinois Senator Barack Obama...

and finally, Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius

Questions for All Candidates
Typical political wisdom would say that after 16 years of Democratic control in the White House, that the American people would opt for a Republican candidate. How are you best equipped to win over independents and Republicans to keep the Democrats in the White House for another 4 years?

In 2006, Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell which did not allow gay, bisexual, or transgender people to serve in the military. Do you agree with this action by Congress, and if elected, would you be in favor of repealing the Defense of Marriage Act?

Some critics of President Gore have said that the Department of Homeland Security isn't needed because there have only been small terror attacks, which aren't worthy of creating a whole new federal government department. Where do you stand on the Department of Homeland Security?

Questions for Specific Candidates

For Governor Bredesen: As Governor of Tennessee, you made significant reforms to how your state runs Medicaid, reforming to a system known as TennCare which automatically enrolls all eligible Medicaid recipients into managed care. Would you try to bring this type of reform to a national scale, and if so what would you change that would better fit the national platform rather than Tennessee?

For Senator Clinton: Your husband, President Bill Clinton, signed Don't Ask, Don't Tell in 1993 and the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. How can the LGBT community trust you in the White House?

For Senator Daschle: You currently have a 50% vote rating from NARAL, the pro-choice advocacy group. Can you set the record on where you stand on abortion?

For Senator Feingold: In the Senate, you along with Arizona Senator and GOP presidential candidate John McCain passed a major campaign finance reform known as McCain-Feingold. Would you push for further campaign finance reform if elected?

For Senator Gravel: In 1971, you filibustered on the Senate floor to remove the military draft to thereby end the Vietnam War. If elected, will you repeal the draft?

For Governor Schweitzer: Some on the left have criticized your position on gun control. You have an A rating from the NRA. Can you elaborate more on your position on guns?

For Congresswoman Lee: For quite a long time, you've been on the frontlines of the movement to legalize marijuana. Could you please lay out your position on drugs in general, but specifically marijuana?

To Vice President Lieberman: In the Senate, you were a vocal critic of the Chinese government. What will you do to change the relationship between the Chinese government and the American government to make sure American workers are given a fair shot?

To Senator Lincoln: Many times in the Senate, you've voted with and worked with Republican Senators. Some on the left have called you a "traitor". Do you see this as an advantage or disadvantage you have over your opponents?

Senator Nunn: In 2001, you founded the Nuclear Threat initiative, working to end the production and use of nuclear weapons. Would you bring this fight to the White House if elected?

For Senator Obama: Critics have said that you're not qualified to serve as President of the United States. You were elected to the Senate 3 years ago, and before that you were in the Illinois State Senate for 7 years. What makes you qualified to seek the presidency?

For Governor Sebelius: In 2003, the death penalty was outlawed for federal crimes. Do you agree with this action taken by the federal government and the Gore administration?

Since this is not a debate format, there will be no rebuttal. Answers are due June 10. Good luck!
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2020, 07:56:17 PM »

Senator Clinton Town Hall Answers

Opening Statement

Thank you, Tim, for allowing us candidates to be here tonight and ask questions from the voters, we sit on the pinnacle of history. For the past 16 years, the Democratic Party has provided for the American people in the White House. Under President Bill Clinton and under President Gore. But there is still work to be done. Too many Americans still can't get ahead and stay there. And too many people are struggling in today's economy.

We need a President who can solve our problems, and seize the opportunities that I think await. Now is not the time to be scared of taking risks, but empowered to do it! I want to be a President for all Americans, no matter your background, race, religion, or gender. My slogan is 'Solutions for America', I have the experience, I have the expertise to provide solutions for this country, and I hope you give me that chance.

General Questions

Typical political wisdom would say that after 16 years of Democratic control in the White House, that the American people would opt for a Republican candidate. How are you best equipped to win over independents and Republicans to keep the Democrats in the White House for another 4 years?

Look, Tim, we have had 16 great years under my husband and President Gore. And we need to continue that progress. But ultimately it is up to the American people, but I believe I am the candidate based on my experience. In the 1970's  I worked for the Children's Defense Fund which worked to allow children to live up to their God-given potential no matter their background, social status, or gender.

In the 80's I proudly served as First Lady of Arkansas where I introduced the first in the nation teacher testing to improve productivity in the classroom and to allow children to actually learn the subject thoroughly and for teachers to know the subject they are teaching. And in the 90's I represented this nation as it's First Lady where I fought for Healthcare for every American and I worked and achieved to get healthcare to every child in America!

And as Senator of New York, I am ranked one of the most bi-partisan Senators, I have worked across the aisle with Republicans and Democrats alike, fighting for our shared American values and doing everything we can to provide for our constituents. For the past 30 years, I have done everything in my power to provide for the American people and you can bet your bottom dollar I will do the same as President.

In 2006, Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell which did not allow gay, bisexual, or transgender people to serve in the military. Do you agree with this action by Congress, and if elected, would you be in favor of repealing the Defense of Marriage Act?

Well, I voted for the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell it was a very bipartisan bill. Ad so I full-heartedly agree with the bill and I was so proud to see President Gore sign it into law. Now on the issue of the Defense of Marriage Act, We need to explore all options of the bill. But I  can ensure you that as President I will stand up for our gay community.

Some critics of President Gore have said that the Department of Homeland Security isn't needed because there have only been small terror attacks, which aren't worthy of creating a whole new federal government department. Where do you stand on the Department of Homeland Security?

Look, Tim, President Gore did the absolute right thing when he pushed for the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, we need to protect our country at home and he made the right step. And I tell the critics to imagine what would happen if we never created the Department of Homeland Security? terrorist attacks would likely be at an all-time high, there would be uncertainty in this country. The President made the right call creating the Department of Homeland Security and I support the Department.

Specific Question

Your husband, President Bill Clinton, signed Don't Ask, Don't Tell in 1993 and the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. How can the LGBT community trust you in the White House?

Well first I would like to remind the American people that I am not my husband, and you know Bill has said publicly and privately that signing those was a mistake, obviously, his thinking has evolved and so has mine. But I support our gay community, they are really changing how we think about our past and our future, I have nothing but respect for them. And I can't wait to be able to work for and with them in the White House.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »

Address to Conservative Political Action Conference

Excerpt

Ladies and gentlemen, fellow conservatives, let me say I am honored to attend this 35th annual Conservative Political Action Conference. I would like to express my thanks to everyone who has helped organize this conference. As we've seen, over the past 16 years, there is good reason for us, conservatives, to oppose the policies of President Bill Clinton and Al Gore. We have witnessed, through two different Presidents, the decay of America's moral fabric and the slow-down of America's once-envied economy. We know the roots of the problems lie in the rejection of the conservative philosophy of President Ronald Reagan. We know that family values are more successful solvers of poverty and societal ills than any social program. We know that, in this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problems, government, itself, is the problem. And we know that America is strongest when it's moral fabric is intact. One way or another, we found our way into the conservative movement, and we convene here knowing this election is critical more than ever for those conservative values: the sanctity of marriage, the right to life, small government.

Now, I began my work in the conservative movement when a group of social conservatives in my Church ministry recruited me to activism. I come from a state that voted for Bill Clinton twice, and no Republican had been elected to the Governor's mansion since 1971. We changed that just four years ago when I was humbly elected by my fellow Kentuckians. Since then, we've turned Kentucky into a story of success. You see, I was elected because Kentuckians, including many Democrats, knew we had to change the course from the slow job growth, bureaucratic mess of a medicaid system, and billion dollar deficit-hole left by Governor Paul Patton. We got our state government to work, cut taxes for everyone, overhauled the state medicaid system, reversed our billion-dollar deficit, exploded job growth, took on the union kingpins and put family values first. Kentucky is an example of a success story, and our achievements undo years of big government politics on the state-wide level.

Nationally, you don't have the same picture. President Al Gore's job killing regulations and taxes are slowing down our economy, and he's turned his head the other way on protecting life and the sanctity of marriage. And I'd like to bring note to the latter. Just a decade ago, the Defense of Marriage Act was passed with resounding, bipartisan majorities in both houses of Congress. Yet, Democrats, and even some Republicans, have turned their back on one of the most basic institutions of civilization - the sanctity of marriage. As someone who entered politics thanks to my church ministry, this issue is less about giving lip-service to social issues & family values as many politicians do. It's about personal faith and conviction. We know that when America's moral fabric is strong, people are built into strong families with the opportunity to achieve their God-given right to the pursuit of happiness. Moral societies are stronger alleviators of poverty than any government program could ever hope to achieve. As conservatives, if we are to truly earn the vote of blue-collar America, we must unwaveringly defend these values of faith, family and freedom.

These recent developments by activist judges in Massachusetts and California are yet another case of our judicial system letting personal beliefs get in the way of accurate constitutional interpretation. In our free society, decisions about such a fundamental social institution as marriage should be made by people, not by activist judges. This national question requires a national solution, and on an issue of such profound importance, that solution should be left to people, not courts. The next President must lead on this, by pushing forth a constitutional amendment to protect the definition of marriage from judicial activism. The time is no longer for lip-service on these issues of utmost national importance to our moral and spiritual fabric - leadership is needed now more than ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, now is the time for America to lead on the economic, international and moral stage. The next President cannot just give lip-service to these issues, but actually lead on them. President Al Gore has devastated our international leadership, and he's squandered America's energy future. Our oil and gas industry has suffered under the consequences of the President's regulation after regulation, tax after tax. Our economy is slowing down. We're more vulnerable to our foreign allies than ever. The tides are turning, and Americans are waking up to the reality of sixteen years of big government politics. We can't have just another phony get elected to the most important job in the free world.

Conservatives are united today, because we know that we can't have four more years of the same stale leadership pushing for the same ideologue of liberal policies. Washington is out of control, and we need to elect Republican leaders across the nation who will adopt the same policies that gave us the success story in Kentucky. We need leaders in the Senate and the White House who will appoint and confirm judges who will interpret our constitution to it's literal meaning, and we need elected officials who will stand up to fight for America's family values. Fellow conservatives, the time is now to rebuild the Reagan coalition to elect those types of leaders to the broken mess on capitol hill.
Evan H

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »

Pataki Releases CPAC Speech to Floor

Hello my fellow Republicans, it is great to be here today! CPAC is a time to appeal to the real Republican base. When one sees the name Pataki they likely see a liberal tax and spend Governor, but in reality that is false. I am extremely fiscally principled, with introducing a major tax cut in my tenure in New York. In New York now taxes are cut by 30% from before.

My first opponent Mario Cuomo in fact called me a, "far-right tax cutter."

I am also pro-life, and believe life begins at contraception. If elected President I would work within the bounds of Roe V. Wade to restrict third-trimester abortions. Some of the ways abortions are performed sicken me. Seeing them dig a vacuum into the womb, it is devastating truly.

I am also all in for the second amendment and believe we need to fight off attacks for this critical amendment of protection. I will work with the NRA and other gun rights groups to ensure gun owners freedoms are kept.

I would also like to point out my fiscal record is one of the most conservative of any candidate, as I slash taxes for lunch.

I know some of you consider me the liberal New York Governor, I can assure you I am a true Republican. Thank you all!
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »

Bobby Jindal March Campaign Schedule
Credit to the Louisiana National Guard for the Photo

March
March 1st - 5th: Wyoming
Cheyenne, Wyoming
- Major Rally with Rep. Cubin
- Fundraiser
- Townhall

Jackson, Wyoming
- Townhall
- Tour Local Ranch

Casper, Wyoming
- Visit with Small Business Owners

Cody, Wyoming
- Attend Local Festival
- Townhall

Laramie, Wyoming
- Tour the City
- Door Knock with Campaign Staff

March 6th - 9th: New Hampshire
Manchester, New Hamsphire
- Major Rally
- Townhall
- Small Business Round Table

Nashua, New Hampshire
- Major Rally
- Opioid Abuse Round Table
- Door Knock with Campaign Staff

Keene, New Hampshire
- Major Rally
- Attend Local Festival
- Fly to North Carolina

March 10th - 18th: North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Townhall
- Speak at Tea Party Event

Durham, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Fundraiser
- Townhall

Charlotte, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Door to Door with Campaign Staff
- Townhall on Ending Government Bureaucracy
- Fundraiser

Wilmington, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Speak at Local Conservative Club
- Interview with Local Television Network

Asheville, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Townhall with Local Conservative Leaders
- Fundraiser

Greensboro, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Speak about Being Pro-Life to a Conservative Crowd
- Meet with Conservative and Undecided Voters at Local Restaurant

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Speak about against the Rise of Left at Local Event
- Fundraiser

Concord, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Tour the Town
- Eat at a Local Business

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Major Rally
- Townhall
- Fundraiser

March 19th - 22nd: Nevada
Las Vegas, Nevada
- Major Rally
- Fundraiser
- Townhall
- Door to Door with Campaign Staff
- Open new Campaign Office

Reno, Nevada
- Major Rally
- Fundraiser
- Townhall
- Interview via Skype with Local TV Network

March 23rd - 26th: Iowa
Des Moines, Iowa
- Major Rally
- Fundraiser
- Townhall
- Put up Billboards with Campaign Staff

Waterloo, Iowa
- Major Rally
- Townhall
- Interview with Local TV Network
- Tour the Town

Sioux City, Iowa
- Major Rally
- Townhall
- Meet with Local Conservative Activists
- Hit Hard on Farming Communities and How the Government Must Support Them

March 27th - 31st: South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
- Major Rally with Senator Jim DeMint
- Townhall with Senator Jim DeMint
- Fundraiser with Local GOP Leaders

Columbia, South Carolina
- Interview with Local TV Network

Greenville, South Carolina
- Meet with Small Business Owners
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »

Colin Powell speaking tour, March, April, and May

March 1: City College of New York

March 2-15: Universities and colleges in New York state, particularly West Point Military Academy, Columbia University, Brown University, Cornell University New York University and Syracuse University. Powell would again give non-answers when asked if he was considering a presidential campaign.

March 16-April 3rd: Universities and colleges in New England. Special points are Bowdoin College, Maine Maritime Academy, University of New Hampshire, Bennington College, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Dartmouth College and Yale university. He was joined for this leg of the tour by Senator Susan Collins.

April 4-May 3: Speak in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland. When asked about the Republican race for the White House, he commented "It's not usually a good sign when a party is divded so early. I am a Republican, and what our party needs is soemone who can unite all wings of the party and can bring in moderate Democrats as well."

May 4-May 31: Speak in Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC. During his address at Georgetown University, he was asked about the rise of the Tea Party and the influence they were holding over the primary. "It's no secret that we're heading into troubled times, but we must remain immune to ppulist solutions. It's tempting to get angry and to try and get even, but if you're too busy getting angry or gettting even, you can't get ahead. These Tea Party folks don't seem to understand that."
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2020, 12:57:57 AM »

Allen for America
A New Future

Campaign Constants in Wyoming
Always mention George’s plan to cut taxes on middle and working-class Americans
Always focus on recruiting younger voters and volunteers on the campuses of the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, Northern Iowa University, and Drake University
Always reach out to Conservative activists to serve as precinct captains for George.
Always focus on reaching out to voters and fundraising through online and grassroots efforts
Always tout George’s experience in the United States Senate as a Commonsense Conservative and his record of lowering crime as Governor
Always try to eat lunch at local restaurants, with locals
Always do research on new small towns to talk about local issues and connect with voters
Always visit small businesses and talk to workers, business owners
Always connect to voters on a personal level, use first names and tell the voters to call him George

Campaign Constants in California
Always do research on new small towns to talk about local issues and connect with voters
Always connect to voters on a personal level, use first names and ask people  to call him George
Always focus on reaching out to voters and fundraising through online and grassroots methods.
Always focus on George’s record on lowering taxes, supporting education funding, and gun rights while in the Senate and as Governor.
Always focus on reaching out to conservative activists/young people to work to build a grassroots movement to win the primary.
Always talk to ranchers on eliminating the death tax to protect family farms and all Americans who have made themselves successful through the American dream.
Always talk to voters and make their issues feel important, no one person is too small for George to talk to.

Campaign Constants in Michigan
Always connect to voters on a personal level, use first names and ask people  to call him George
Always focus on reaching out to voters and fundraising through online and grassroots methods.
Always hammer home the message of JOBS! JOBS! JOBS! Focus on plans to keep manufacturing  jobs in the United States and to bring back the jobs that were lost
Always talk about how the career politicians in Washington are responsible for the loss in manufacturing jobs including President Clinton and President Gore.
Always reach out to large donors (i.e. the DeVos family) to help fundraise in the state 
Always make outreaches to the African American community in the state

Surrogate Schedules

Senator Chuck Grassley- campaigning in Iowa

Senator Grassley will continue to campaign in Iowa, however he will instead focus on stumping for George in the suburbs of the major cities in Iowa. Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, and The Quad Cities. He will also focus on appealing to the suburbanites west of Des Moines, those in Davenport, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids and many of Iowa’s farmers.  Senator Grassley will focus on George’s key issues, such as eliminating the death tax, his support of the ethanol tax credit, his pro-gun stance, and his social conservatism supporting the Federal Marriage Amendment, that establishes marriage between one man and one woman.

Congressman Steve King- Campaigning in Iowa

Congressman King will campaign for George in his home district. This district is one of the most deeply conservative parts of the state, and it represents a good number of key counties in the campaign’s caucus strategy. Congressman King will mainly focus his efforts in Council Bluffs, Spencer, Storm Lake, Le Mars, and Sioux City. The main issues King will focus on are George’s conservatism, his stance on ethanol, government accountability, eliminating the death tax, and his general efforts to curb government spending and lower taxes on average Americans.

Congressman Tom Latham- Campaigning in Iowa

Congressman Latham will be campaigning in his district that covers many of Des Moines suburbs his main focuses will be convincing suburban voters that George is the best candidate to represent their interests with his goal of lowering taxes, support for gun rights, while being a job creator and businessman along with how George will end the death tax when elected President. The key cities/counties Congressman Latham will focus on are, the counties surrounding Des Moines in Madison, Warren, Dallas, and Story. He will also campaign heavily in the cities of Ames, Fort Dodge, and Mason City.

Congressman Mike Pence- Campaigning in Iowa and South Carolina

Congressman Mike Pence of Indiana will be campaigning for George in Iowa, in April before joining the camp to stump in South Carolina. Pence is a committed evangelical and will speak at many churches throughout Iowa, specifically in Congressman King’s and Congressman Latham’s districts in Iowa. He will spend much of his time stumping with Congressman King or Congressman Latham, but he will also make numerous appearances with George, and Senator Grassley throughout the state. In South Carolina, he will focus mostly on the Western portions of the state near Greenville. He will also spend a lot of time in churches in South Carolina stumping among the heart of the Evangelical south.

Mr. Chuck Norris- Campaigning in Florida

The famous movie star Chuck Norris will be campaigning for George in Florida and South Carolina, Norris is a committed christian and conservative and he is supportive of George’s views on traditional marriage, abortion, and gun control. In Florida he will focus his efforts on the Senior Citizen community, and in northern Florida in both places he will emphasize George’s support of lower taxes and a government that is more accountable to the American people. He will make several appearances with George, and Mike Pence while in Florida, where he will also be stumping for George.  Norris will primarily be comparing George to Ronald Reagan for his fiscal conservatism, no nonsense attitude, and his passion for helping the American people.

Mr. Robert “Kid Rock” Ritchie- Campaigning in Michigan
Mr.Ritchie, better known by his stage name ‘Kid Rock’ will be campaigning for George in Michigan, Rock is a well known conservative musician and is quite popular in his home state of Michigan which is a crucial early primary. He will focus his campaigning in West Michigan, hitting the key counties of Ottawa, Kent, Kalamazoo, along with the Eastern Michigan counties of Wayne, Macomb, Monroe, Ingham, finally finishing in the Upper Peninsula where the GOP is smaller, but growing as he attempts to appeal Independents to George’s campaign.

May

Wyoming

Key Issues: Abortion, Same Sex Marriage, Death Tax, and Healthcare

May 1: Host a roundtable with local community leaders on expanding the United States Energy Sector and announce the plan for American Energy Independence by 2016.

May 2: Tour an Oil and Gas refinery while meeting with management and the workers on what we can do to make the process better for smaller companies to enter the market. Also meet with Governor Frudenthal, and the Speaker of the Wyoming State House and Senate Majority Leader to discuss the energy industry in Wyoming and across the United States.

May 3: Give an interview to This Week with George Stephanopolous

George Stephanopoulos: Senator, in some recent interviews you've implied that you're different from other Republican candidates, can you elaborate on that?

George Allen: Well, when you look at the field of candidates, there are only a couple that have stayed consistent on issues. When it is my time to answer the questions at the next debate, several of the candidates had already flipped on some very important issues. They're the people that will say one thing in Boston and another thing in Birmingham. Senator John McCain, for example, flipped on Same Sex Marriage. He said he was against it a few days ago, but he refuses to cosponser the Marriage Defense amendment. People like those.. you really can't tell if they'll stick to their word in DC.

I will never lead this campaign off the issues, the ethics, the experience because we don't need to continue playing gotcha politics in Washington D.C. I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's about time we end it. We need a leader with a backbone for once. A leader on the issues. The difference is my track record shows exceptionalism in fiscal and social conservatism. In Virginia while I was Governor, We cut taxes by 600 million dollars and we drastically improved our schools with higher standards.

To the voters watching: I'm not going to play the typical dirty politics game. We're going to speak about the issues, the values, the vision, and we ain't gonna stop doing that. We're gonna stay consistent on that no matter how many of our opponents don't stay consistent. We're gonna win a future for the American people, because the middle class can’t afford another 4 years of high taxes, and bigger government.

May 4: Hold a town hall and roundtable in Jasper, Wyoming on the Energy Industry and Social Issues. 
May 5: Make a speech laying out the plan to eliminate the death tax, and lower taxes on average Americans
May 6-9: Made speeches in Casper, Jackson, Cheyenne, Cody, and Laramie focusing on Energy Independence, Social Issues, and Helping struggling Farmers by ending the death tax.

For too long politicians in Washington have been afraid to tackle the broken tax code that has stifled growth, suppressed individuals, and smothered our economy. We need an ambitious plan to truly reform our tax system to make it fairer, simpler and lower for all citizens.

My plan would be simple. I want to reform the tax code to encourage growth, and to get our economy booming again. Now before I start, I know. Speaking up here is the easy part; but I've done it in New Jersey. Not only did I walk away when the Democrats tried to make me sign tax increases, but I then passed a budget without a single tax increase, and capped property tax rises.
 I've walked the walk; so please, listen for the next 20 minutes, as I talk the talk, and tell you about my plan to get our tax system working again.

My first action would be to cut down the tax brackets to three easier, simpler brackets-the highest at 25%, then 14% and then 8% for those earning the least. I'd then cut the corporate rate to 25% to allow America to attract the best and the brightest businesses in the world, and to get more high-quality jobs in America. I'd get rid of payroll tax for those under the age of 22, or over the age of 62 to get them back into the Labour market, and I'd get rid of the tax loopholes that allow companies to profit from shipping jobs overseas. Finally, I'd scrap the estate tax, so that politicians in Washington no longer use the success as a slush fund for their out of control spending. We need to use our tax system to encourage the creation of high-quality jobs; that's the American way of getting out of economic hardship. We fight, and we pull our-self back up. My tax plan allows America to do this. It's time to fight, and get our middle class back into the battle

Wyoming
Key Issues: Immigration reform, Same Sex Marriage, Death Tax, and Healthcare

May 10: Meet with African American and Latino leaders in Los Angeles, as both communities have large segments that are socially conservative, George talks about his moderate views on education, while he supports the Marriage Defense Amendment, and overturning Roe v. Wade. He also talks about his deep religious beliefs.

May 11-12: Host a pair of town halls and roundtable discussions near the United States-Mexico border to discuss immigration reform and announce the new campaign policy on the issue. Meet with the "Minutemen" Border Patrol who patrol the US-Mexico and identify as a "citizen's militia". 

May 13-16: Host town halls in communities in Los Angeles that are primarily African American or Hispanic and discuss religious issues, social issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, and criminal justice. George will also tour community centers in these inner-city communities.

May 17: Meet with Governor Schwarzenegger and other leaders in the California GOP including, Rep's Nunes and McArthy along with the State Party Chairman. Offer George's help with any upcoming house races in the state and discuss the future of the GOP in California.

May 18: Meet with local GOP officials in the central valley and GOP activists attempting to recruit prescient captains and local surrogates for the campaign. Give a pep talk to campaign volunteers and staffers in the Bakersfield Field Office.

May 19-21: Finish the California tour by speaking Timber workers in Northern California, and then heading to a series of churches to speak to the congregations about George's faith. Finally ending with a roundtable with the California GOP leadership on improving the GOP in the state.
Michigan
Key Issues: Abortion, Same Sex Marriage, Jobs, and Healthcare
May 22: Give a speech to the Hillsdale College student body, on the necessary fact that America needs to balance the budget, protect traditional marriage, and ban the desecration of the American flag. 

May 23: Meet with Dick and Betsy DeVos along with members of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce, and Michigan Right to Life Committee on the upcoming Presidential primary in January. Attempt to court the support of Dick and Betsy DeVos as the need for large donors opens up for the campaign.

May 24-25: Continue to recruit GOP leaning college students and young people to volunteer for the campaign by delivering speeches in East Lansing and Ann Arbor home to two of Michigan's largest colleges, solid performance in the college towns combined with good support from rural Michigan will allow for the victory in the state come January.

May 26: Host a for charity Rock Concert and announce the endorsement of Michigan native and popular musician Kid Rock, before the concert George speaks to the crowd on conservative values and the importance of voting.

May 27-30: Hold town halls and roundtables in central Michigan and the 'thumb' including Saginaw, Macomb, and Warren.
I became pro-life in 1978 when I found out Susan was pregnant, we went into the hospital, and I heard something beautiful. I heard the 13-week old heartbeat of our daughter. I froze. All I could hear was that beat of life. I remember on the car-ride home thinking, how could anyone be pro-choice?

I didn't become pro-life by having a conversation with an Academic. I didn't become pro-life when I wanted to run for some higher office. No, I became pro-life when I heard that heartbeat. When I heard that life?

When I ran to be Governor of Virginia I was honest with voters- I'm proud about being pro-life. People have a lot more respect for you if you tell them the truth. It's why people hate politicians. We need leaders who are honest. Leaders who are in touch with their emotions, and Leaders who are not afraid of talking about their morals.

My life changed in 1978 when I heard that heartbeat. If I'm elected President, I'll remember that heart-beat every day in office.

May 31: Celebrate Memorial Day, and release policy to reform Veterans healthcare and the VA.

Campaign Messaging
Focus George’s plan to cut taxes on middle and working-class Americans in all states
Explain the fight to repeal the death tax and support ethanol subsidies in farming communities
Explain the support of the Marriage Defense Amendment the “One Man and One Woman” belief
We need to update Social Security and Medicare to the 21st Century through reform, not cuts.
Hammer home the idea of Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! In every state visited
Emphasize healthcare reform by cutting red tape and ending the overbearing government bureaucracy.
Support for the Balanced Budget Amendment and the line-item veto to bring balance to the federal budget and beat back against the national debt.

raymundoflx
Rookie
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2020, 03:13:00 AM »

Lee for America

April - May Schedule

Campaign Key Issues in South Carolina
- Criminal Justice Reform: Ban private prisons, make prison phone calls and other inmate communications free, and audit prison commissaries for price gouging and fees. End the cash bail system and mandatory minimum sentencing. Invest in successful crime prevention, including proven initiatives that get youth and nonviolent offenders back on track. We will increase funding to domestic violence and sexual assault prevention programs. We will strengthen sexual assault and domestic violence laws, support the Violence Against Women Act, and provide job security to survivors.
- Primary Education Reform: Follow the lead of school districts and educators that have pioneered innovative ways to increase teacher pay. Make an unprecedented national investment to provide teachers with better pay and better support to improve their skills, and their students' learning. Reward effective teachers who teach in underserved areas, take on added responsibilities like mentoring new teachers, or consistently excel in the classroom. Address the dropout crisis by investing in intervention strategies in middle schools and high schools and invest in after-school programs, summer school, alternative education programs, and youth jobs. Establish commissions to improve failing public schools predominantly in communities of color and increase funding.
- Eradicate Poverty: Reform and Increase the Minimum Wage. Advocate for public assistance programs, such as social security, pension benefits, childcare services, affordable housing, nutritional programs and programs to support homelessness.

Campaign Key Issues in Michigan
- Criminal Justice Reform: Ban private prisons, make prison phone calls and other inmate communications free, and audit prison commissaries for price gouging and fees. End the cash bail system and mandatory minimum sentencing. Invest in successful crime prevention, including proven initiatives that get youth and nonviolent offenders back on track. We will increase funding to domestic violence and sexual assault prevention programs. We will strengthen sexual assault and domestic violence laws, support the Violence Against Women Act, and provide job security to survivors.
- Tax Reform: Shut down "special interest loopholes and tax shelters" and use the money to provide an immediate middle-class tax cut as well as raise taxes on the wealthiest of Americans. Expand the Earned Income Tax Credit
- Jobs: End tax breaks for companies that ship American jobs overseas and provide incentives for companies that keep and maintain good jobs in the United States. Invest in advanced energy technologies and create millions of new, good “green” American jobs
- Financial Regulation: Create agencies to protect consumers and monitor the U.S. economy and new revelations on mortgage lending, credit cards, proprietary trading, derivatives, hedge funds and executive pay.
- Eradicate Poverty: Reform and Increase the Minimum Wage. Advocate for public assistance programs, such as social security, pension benefits, childcare services, affordable housing, nutritional programs and programs to support homelessness.

Campaign Key Issues in California
- Healthcare Reform: Provide Massive Healthcare Reform via Universal Healthcare. Repeal the prohibition on negotiating prescription drug prices, ban drug companies from paying generic producers to refrain from entering drug markets, and eliminate drug company interference with generic competition
- Primary Education Reform: Follow the lead of school districts and educators that have pioneered innovative ways to increase teacher pay. Make an unprecedented national investment to provide teachers with better pay and better support to improve their skills, and their students' learning. Reward effective teachers who teach in underserved areas, take on added responsibilities like mentoring new teachers, or consistently excel in the classroom. Address the dropout crisis by investing in intervention strategies in middle schools and high schools and invest in after-school programs, summer school, alternative education programs, and youth jobs. Establish commissions to improve failing public schools predominantly in communities of color and increase funding.
- Housing Reform: Work to reform bankruptcy laws to restore balance between lender and homeowner rights. Support the development and preservation of affordable housing in mixed-income neighborhoods throughout the country, restore cuts to public housing operating subsidies, and fully fund the Community Development Block Grant program.

Michigan
April 1st-14th

April 1st-6th: Outline in Detroit our plan to strengthen families in America which includes tax cuts for low-income individuals and the middle class while expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit. Reaffirm our commitment to shut down special interest loopholes and tax shelters while ensuring a just tax code in which the wealthiest are contributing as well. Meet with the United Automobile Workers and discuss a comprehensive strategy to strengthen and protect our workers and ensure we keep American companies from outsourcing jobs.

Excerpt from Detroit Speech:
“To the people of organized labor, I believe in the labor movement. I believe in the American worker. I believe they have a right to organize. I believe they have the right to collectively bargain. I believe it is important to have a President that doesn’t choke on the word, union. We need to ensure that the middle class doesn’t disappear, that the rights of workers to join together and bargain for better wages, benefits, and working conditions won’t be undermined. You know 63 years ago, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt proposed a second bill of rights in which security and prosperity can be established for all, regardless of race and income. Among these rights are every American's right to a good paying job, an adequate wage, a decent home, the necessary medical care, economic protections for the sick and elderly, and lastly a good education. It’s clear we’ve made large strides in these areas and while we certainly haven’t achieved the picture that Roosevelt envisioned for America, it is our obligation to fight for our workers. It is our obligation to ensure everyone in this country has access to affordable healthcare. It is our obligation to ensure everyone in this country is paid accordingly and that starts with raising the minimum wage and defending the rights of labor. And most importantly, it is our obligation to ensure every American family has the ability to live and buy a proper house with the resources they need to live a good life, that is the American dream. However, the progress we’ve made that has gotten us closer to such a state is under constant attack from the Republican Party. I won’t have it, we won’t have it. So join me in pushing against the radical right-to-work laws, against the cuts to the programs assisting millions of impoverished citizens, and join me in pushing against wall street and the grasp it has on Washington D.C.. It’s time we have someone that speaks and fights for the people.”

April 7th-14th: Embark on a week-long circuit of rallies with activists and black leaders. Meet with the Michigan Democratic Congressional Delegation and the state leadership to talk about support for our campaign and hold fundraisers with civil rights activists. Open campaign office in Detroit and assist volunteers with efforts such as phone banks, do-to-door events, and voter registration drives.

South Carolina
April 15th-30th

April 15th-21st: Meet with the NAACP and discuss ways to strengthen awareness for racial inequities in America. Publicly demand for a town hall with all Democratic candidates regarding our criminal justice systems, ways to advance communities of color, and on how to ensure all black voices & issues are heard.
April 22nd-30th: Visit K-12 schools in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, and Greenville pushing our education plan while meeting with teacher unions across the state. Give an address to the Palmetto Education Association highlighting racial inequities in our school system and how we can improve the education of kids in communities of color.

Excerpt from Speech to the Palmetto Education Association:
”Time and time again we see that schools in black communities don’t have the same resources, teachers, and security than schools outside communities of color do. These schools have less qualified teachers with lower salaries that aren’t enough and without the in-classroom utensils that help ensure our children receive just as good an education as everyone else does. Our boys and girls don’t have the same test scores and they certainly don’t graduate at the same rate as white kids don’t, in this year we saw white students graduate at a rate of 86% while black students at a mere rate of 69%. A 17% difference. Now what can we do to ensure that our children have equal opportunities to succeed in the future and make it to college? We push our elected officials to support professional-teacher development programs, support not only increasing funding for schools but ensuring these resources go to the schools that need it the most. We need you, dads and moms, to be more involved with the staff at your childrens’ school to have clear communication between our educators and our community. We need to ensure we’re teaching our students the dangers of gangs and the road that will be taken if they consume harmful substances. But we also need to look to the future and that means we have to look at the opportunities our kids have when they graduate high school and to be honest they’re disproportionately disadvantaged. That’s why I have been a long advocate for increasing funding for HBCUs to ensure our brightest kids continue to receive the education they need and contribute to our society as innovators and inventors.”

California
May 1st-15th

May 1st-5th: Hit major cities throughout California such as San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, and San Diego giving stump speeches on eradicating poverty. Meet with California officials to discuss surrogates and ways to help solidify our position in the state. Outline our progressive platform consisting of closing the income gap, fighting for racial justice, and protecting social programs that fight poverty.

Speech on War on Poverty:
“Forty-three years ago, President Lyndon Johnson spoke before Congress and declared a War on Poverty. Out of that speech came a series of programs that transformed America and made life better for millions of our fellow citizens. Out of that speech came Medicare, a government health insurance program for senior citizens which is now one of the most popular and important federal programs in existence.  Through Medicare, Americans are guaranteed health care when they age when they need it the most. Out of that speech came Medicaid, which provides health care to some 72 million low-income people and their kids.  Nobody can give an exact statistic as to how many lives Medicaid has saved, and how much suffering it has eased, but that number is too high to ignore.  Out of that speech and the war on poverty came food stamps, a concept which said that nobody, no man, woman or child in the United States should go hungry. I personally relied on food stamps as a young single mother to help feed my two little boys and that’s why I have been in the fight to protect valuable programs, from partisan attacks, that help prevent struggling families from falling deeper and deeper until they hit rock bottom. Out of that speech came Head Start, which addressed the profound reality that quality early childhood education was vital if lower-income kids were to do well in school and move their way up from poverty. When Johnson enacted these programs, the overall poverty rate in America was over 19.5 percent – despite the relatively strong economy of the mid-1960s.  Today, the poverty rate is 15 percent, way too high but lower than it was in 1964. Let’s be clear, it is a national disgrace that 39 million Americans are living in poverty today. It is a national disgrace that at 19 percent, the U.S. has the highest childhood poverty rate of any major country on earth. But without the current social safety net which was largely established as a result of the War on Poverty and the New Deal, economists have told us that the poverty rate would be 29 percent - almost twice as high as it is today. We need to join the rest of the world and invest in quality childcare, education and job training for our young. Health care for everyone is a right and that’s why we need to immediately pass legislation establishing a public option, getting us one step closer to a more sustainable and just healthcare system. Here in the United States, significant progress has been made but much more needs to be done to provide dignity and opportunity to all Americans regardless of income and race.”

May 6th-15th: Meet with civil rights organizations and outline the core ideals of our campaign, focusing on our plan to invest in communities of color, fix our education system, and expand healthcare to disadvantaged people of color in America. Hold multiple radio interviews on major stations presenting our campaign and the liberal policies we’re fighting for while highlighting the overall moderate success of the Gore Administration but promising a revolutionary change to Washington D.C. with a commitment to fighting for a people’s agenda. Meet with Congressman and Former Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chair, Xavier Beccera to discuss possible endorsement.

South Carolina
May 16th-23rd

May 16th-23rd: Embark on a statewide tour, visiting black shops and discussing plans uplifting businesses in communities of color. Discuss cutting taxes for low-income and middle class families and in spearheading incentives that award grants to small businesses in areas with dominantly black populations. Attend local churches and sermons while discussing the importance of our plans to solve racial inequities in the criminal justice system, education system, and discuss disparity between non-colored and colored Americans in healthcare. Air “Protecting Black Families” ad in South Carolina, California, and Michigan addressing unequal maternal death rates and infant mortality between races as well as general health crisis. .

Michigan
May 24th-31st

May 24th-31st: Visit local food shelters and volunteer at community events throughout Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Flint. Stress the importance of food stamps and in other nutrition assistance programs, urging the need to protect these initiatives from Republican opponents who wish to cut funding dramatically without a sustainable safety net to support families in need. Cite Congressional experience in leading anti-poverty legislation and helping pass key bills to help invest in our communities rather than defund them.

Campaign Messaging
- Establish Congresswoman Lee as a leader on Criminal Justice Reform.
- Position Congresswoman Lee as a firm new liberal with a bold agenda of tackling income inequality, pushing women issues, eradicating poverty, and fighting for economic justice. 
- Highlight her dedication to crafting and advancing legislation that would lift millions of American families out of poverty and into the middle class.
romanthaddeus007
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »

**DASCHLE TOWN HALL ANSWERS**

That’s a good question Tim, and a perfectly valid one. All we Democrats need to do is compare and contrast how Democrats run the country, and how do Republicans. Under two, two term blue administrations we’ve seen a balanced budget, strong environmental regulations, a great economy, lower crime rates, and a country stronger than ever. What were the last Republican administrations? We had a recession, high crime, failed Reaganomics policies that put millions of Americans behind. Not to mention the Iran-Contra scandal.We need to stay the course, and that’s my campaign slogan. Democrats need to get together, we can’t turn back now, we cannot go backward, we must go onward.

Don’t ask don’t tell was heavily opposed by the Democratic party, and as the Senate Democratic Leader I’m proud of what we did. I absolutely supported the repeal of don’t ask don’t tell. As for gay marriage issues, here’s the deal, I’ve stood up to folks like former senate republican leader Bill Frist when it comes to these issues of civil rights, and I’ve led this party in the senate towards progress. That’s what the Democratic party can count on, leadership like leadership we have in the senate, and that’s what gay Americans can count on if I’m elected President.

I standby the President. There’s no harm done in this department, it can reduce the probability of terror attacks and threats to our national security. The country is safer, and there’s no harm done there. I really don’t understand these critics, because take this department, right, you get either a safer country, or not, without infringing on civil liberties. If we can protect life, then we should, especially from these terrorists. The Department of Homeland Security is a completely rational creation, and the President should be proud of his effort to keep America strong and free.

For Senator Daschle: You currently have a 50% vote rating from NARAL, the pro-choice advocacy group. Can you set the record on where you stand on abortion?

It’s an issue to issue a basis that accounts for my rating. I voted yes on banning partial birth abortions with the exception of maternal life, and I standby that vote, those are my values and the values of the South Dakotans who elect me in a red-voting state. On the other hand I’ve also voted no bans on abortions in millitary bases. I;ve supported the expansion of stem cell research as well. I’m no Republican on this issue, the Republicans want to take away any right to choose. I’m a pragmatist from South Dakota, and that’s where I stand on the issues.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »

McCain for President, May 2007 Schedule
—Country First—

May 1st through 20th: New Hampshire

May 1-3- Senatorial duties in Washington DC, then flight to Manchester, NH
May 4- Rally in Nashua NH
Nashua wants leadership. New Hampshire wants leadership. America wants leadership. And that's what you'll get in a McCain administration. It's time to end the double talk and the back room dealing that dominates Washington. It's time to pass bipartisan campaign finance reform. It's time for a President who will lead, and not be led by the opinion polls. Ladies and gentleman, I am running to be that President.
May 5- Town halls in Hollis, Milford, and Merrimack
May 6- Rest in Londonderry
May 7- Speak to local business leaders in Derry, and town hall in Londonderry
May 8- Town hall in Salem, speech at local American Legion
May 9- Town hall in Candia
May 10- Town hall in Hillsborough
May 11- Town hall in Peterborough
May 12- Breakfast at local diner. Town halls in Keene, Walpole, Charlestown, Claremont, and Lebanon
May 13- Town halls in Hanover, Orange, Plymouth, Campton, and Lincoln
May 14- Tour of Diners in Grafton County, meet people on the way to work 
May 15- Town hall in Conway
May 16- Town hall in Ossipee
May 17- Town hall in Wakefield
May 18- Rally in Rochester, focus on tax plan
May 19- Town halls in Dover, Durham (including a separate on at UNH), Portsmouth, and Stratham. Rally in Hampton with Senator Sununu to end the day, and the NH campaign swing

May 20th through 27th: Wyoming

May 20- Fly to Arizona. Rest in Phoenix
May 21- Fly to Wyoming, meet with staff in Casper
May 22- Town hall in Casper on social issues
Q: You have not co-sponsored the Marriage amendment. Do you intend to at least vote for it?

A: You're right, I have not co-sponsored the marriage amendment, I don't intend to, and I won't be voting for it. Look, my friends, this amendment is nothing more than federal intrusion into the rights of that states. It is making a federal issue out of a power we as a nation have always left to the states. I voted against federal recognition of same-sex marriage, and I do firmly believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I also believe, as our founders did, them some powers are reserved to the states, and marriage has always been one of them. When we federalize these sorts of issues, we don't solve them. All the marriage amendment will do, if it passes, is make it that much easier down the road for an out of step Supreme Court or a radical Congress to force same-sex marriage across this country. I'm worried about the future of marriage, and that's why the last thing I want is to federalize it, and further erode the rights of the states.
May 23- Meet with local business leaders in Casper and Douglas
May 24- Town hall in Glendo, go hunting with local veterans
May 25- Town hall in Wheatland
May 26- Town halls in Chugwater, and several in and around Cheyenne. Speech in Cheyenne on tax reform
For sixteen years, the only thing that has kept the Democrats in Washington from raising your taxes sky high and passing volumes of new regulations has been the hard work of Republicans in Congress. Sadly, we can only do so much, and the federal government has still over regulated, over taxed, and in general overburdened the American economy. As President, my top domestic priority will be the passage of my tax plan which will cut taxes for the working and middle class, as well as on small businesses, and simplifies our overly complicated federal tax code. I have fought tirelessly in Washington for these sorts of common sense solutions to our economic stagnation, and as President I will make sure we can get it done.
May 27- Flight back to Phoenix

May 28- Meet with staff and discuss internet campaign strategies
May 29- Call in interviews with several major radio programs
May 30- Conference call with donors, conservative activists, and party officials
May 31- Relax at home

McCain for President: Key Themes for May
  • The McCain Tax Plan: The middle class and Main Street need tax relief, and Senator McCain is committed to reforming our tax code to do just that. The American economy can lead the world in growth and innovation, and Senator McCain's tax plan will help unleash this potential.
  • Senator McCain's Foreign Policy: Senator McCain has been a leading critic of the Gore administration's foreign policy, and of his failure to provide the global leadership needed to tackle the challenges of the future. As President, Senator McCain will work to combat threats to the United States wherever and whenever they arise, and will do so with a broad coalition of our global allies.
  • Campaign Finance Reform: Senator McCain has long fought for campaign finance reform, and as President he will work with Republicans and Democrats in Congress to reduce the power of special interests in Washington
  • Fighting Pork Barrel Spending: Senator McCain has been a tireless campaigner against wasteful pork barrel spending in Congress. As President, he will fight waste and reform the budgetary process.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »

Jon Huntsman Announcement Speech-Salt Lake City, Utah

Excerpt from speech: "For the past sixteen years, we have seen a government that has failed to look out for the ordinary American. We have seen a government recklessly tax and spend without any concern. We have seen Washington bureaucrats and politicians doing what's best for them, instead of what's best for the nation.

"The time has come for change. As an ambassador, I stood up for America's interests overseas. As governor of the great state of Utah, I cut taxes, supported local businesses, and tirelessly worked to support our families. That is what we need in Washington, which is why I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States!"
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »

Governor Schweitzer Town Hall Answers

Image Modified by Myself

Opening Statement

Well thanks Tim for having us out here. I'm just disappointed you wouldn't let me bring jag out on stage. Where are our dog people out here? (crowd cheers) I'm happy to out here Tim in wonderful Ames. I've been to Ames, and soon every county in this great state. And you know I'm meeting a lot of people who are concerned about this country's direction. Republicans, Independents, and a lot of Democrats are concerned about where this country is headed. You can bet we're doing better then we were in 1992, and we've made progress since 2000. We've put the winner take all economics of Bush behind us and we've done more for middle class families, but we all know that it ain't all peace and prosperity in this country. Gas prices are up, economic growth is stagnant, and Americans watch as more of our freedoms are whittled away.

That's why I'm running as the people's democrat. We need a nominee who's actually going to go out there in red state America, in purple state America to make the case for pro working families, pro jobs, populist policies. If we don't, I fear we will lose in November. And we all know if George Allen or Bobby Jindal gets in the saddle we know what the risk are, banker's bonuses will be up you can bet, but we won't get higher wages, we won't get lower gas prices, and we won't get a President for the people. That's why I'm in this race.

General Questions

I love this question Tim. Because I think I'm uniquely suited to build that winning coalition. When I ran for Governor in 2004 I teamed up with a common sense Republican to push for policies to help ordinary Montanans. Montana isn't a blue state, often it's very red. But we made the case for universal healthcare, for investment in early childhood education, we went out to town's with three dozen people but we fought for every vote because every American is worth fighting for. And we won.

If we run in 2008 that everything is fine, we will lose. We need to make the case to small town America that we're on their team, that in impoverished towns, in the places where despair is winning, we have to make the case for change. That's why I support single payer healthcare, why I support making this country energy independent once and for all, and why I attack corruption wherever I go.

I'm running on change. If you believe wages are too low, I'm your guy. If you believe gas prices are too high, I'm your guy. If you believe healthcare costs are to high, I'm your guy. If you believe that graduation rates are too low, I'm your guy. And if you believe that government should be of the people, by the people, and for the people, and not for Pfizer and Petro-dictators, then folks I am your guy. 

I think it's great that Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell. If someone is willing to bleed for our country, serve our flag, our people, to put their life on the line for all of us, it doesn't matter a bit who they love. It doesn't matter, and as long as anyone is embodying the service and patriotism that is so crucial to our military, I don't care if they're gay or straight.

As for marriage I support the Defense of Marriage Act. I do not believe in redefining marriage, marriage I believe is between a man and a woman, most Americans agree. I oppose Federal efforts to redefine marriage, and so I support the Defense of Marriage Act. But I do believe entirely that gay couples deserve the same legal and civil protections as straight couples. That's the reason I support civil unions, it has the same rights without redefining marriage in our laws. But Washington Republicans like George Allen are obsessed with writing their definition of marriage into the constitution, and trample all over the states. I oppose that too, marriage should be up to the states, and Congress should focus on creating jobs instead.

I'm gonna say something that might annoy some folks in Washington. I'm not so sure it's the right call Tim. You can bet I oppose terrorism, and I believe we ought to give local law enforcement the support they need to de-radicalize potential converts, arrest suspects, and stop the flow of bomb materials from abroad. But I'm not sure we need a new government security department, I'm worried about our liberties Tim. Do we need more surveillance, more federal powers over our lives? What's next, spying on innocent Americans? I support the Department for now, but if I'm elected, I'm gonna take a good hard look at what they're doing, and whether it's good for the country.

But I'm gonna tell you a different way we can fight terrorism. We can become energy independent, when we buy all that foreign oil from the petro dictators who does it trickle down to? Where does all that wealth go? I can tell you, it goes down to terror groups. When we buy Arabian oil, you can bet that there's gonna be people in government sympathetic to these groups and they kick back a few million to Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri who then use that money to attack the United States. Our dependence on middle eastern oil is a national security crisis, and we ought to kick our addiction to foreign oil which I'll make a priority on day one.

Specific Question

Some on the left have criticized your position on gun control. You have an A rating from the NRA. Can you elaborate more on your position on guns?

You bet Tim. Yes I'm a gun owner, hunter, fisherman and I oppose gun control. And I believe this party can be the party against federal overreach on the rights of this nations millions of responsible law abiding gun owners, let me tell you why.

Millions of Americans responsibly own firearms, they use it for personal defense, hunting, or just for an antique collection. They participate in shooting clubs, or gather to defend isolated communities where calls to police take an hour or more to follow through. That's their right in our constitution, and I believe that they ought to be free from Uncle Sam coming down and telling them what's what. If we're the party of the little guy, we gotta be the party of the little guy.  I know folks will disagree with me and I respect that, but that's how I feel and you know I gotta stick to my guns. I can tell you I do support background checks, and I'm never gonna tell you that the mentally ill or criminal should ever get their hands on firearms.

I say we gotta be the party of rights. You have a right to a government that represents you and not special interests, you have a right to healthcare, you have a right to free speech, you have a right to serve in our military regardless of sexuality, you have a right to vote free from intimidation, and yes, you have a right to keep and bear arms.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »

Phil Bredesen Campaign Launch in Nashville, TN

Bredesen walking up to the stage at his campaign launch

Good afternoon, Nashville! It's great to be here with you in good-old Tennessee! I have thought long and hard about this race and on if I should run and I have decided: I am a candidate for President of the United States. The Democratic Party has controlled the White House for 16 years and I believe, as so many of you do, that that hard task was accomplished by running middle-of-the-road Southerners, four times in a row—moderate Democrats who can work with Republicans and get things done but who will also fight hard for working people, for conservation, for good jobs.

I applaud the good work President Gore has done in Washington and I believe we should build on the progress he has made by sending another moderate Southerner, another Tennessee boy to the White House. I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We have a winning strategy that's time tested. I'm a gun owner. As President, I will support gun rights and some common-sense gun control measures. I believe in equal rights for all people, but I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I think abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. I will defend Roe and do everything I can to reduce the number of abortions as President by supporting sex education and contraception.

As President, I will fight to cut the deficit. I have the record of balancing the budget time and time again as Governor of this state and without raising sales taxes and without an income tax. I have the record of fiscal responsibility to cut down our national debt. Thank you for coming out and I hope to earn your support in this campaign!

Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »

General Platform

• Renegotiate NAFTA: While trade has been crucial to keeping agricultural economies strong, it has also displaced too many American workers. Having seen a decade of NAFTA, it's time to go back to the drawing board to make the trade deal more equitable for American workers. Any future trade deal must account for labor and environmental concerns.
  • Keep abortion safe, legal, and rare: Commit to appointing judges that uphold Roe v Wade as settled law of the land. Focus on expanded contraceptive access and sex ed to reduce demand for abortion.
  • More funding for education: America is only as great as the opportunities available to her citizens, and many schools are underfunded, teachers underpaid, and programs are being slashed to balance the budget. Build off of the success in Kansas where education funding is categorized as essential, preventing political gamesmanship with funding. Provide additional funding to states for universal pre-K and trade schools. End subsidies to banks providing loans for college tuition instead give students loans directly from the Dept of Education.
  • Fixing the looming Social Security funding crisis: Honor our promise to Americans by keeping Social Security public. Create Retirement Savings Accounts to give low-income Americans the opportunity to save and invest for retirement.
  • Investing in alternative energy: Commit to a green economy by 2050, start investing in alternative energy regionally, with wind in the Great Plains, solar in the Southwest, and ethanol in the Midwest. A diverse energy profile lowers costs for American families with the added benefit of creating jobs in every region in the US. Invest in disaster prevention for at-risk communities. Make campaign carbon neutral.
  • Expanding healthcare: Take I-Save-Rx to the national level, allowing Americans to buy prescription drugs from Canada, the UK, and Australia to keep drug costs low. Goal of universal healthcare coverage, insure all children up to age 5, expand Medicare and Medicaid, allow young adults to remain on parents' insurance until age 26, create an individual mandate, create 'report cards' on insurance, both public and private. Kathleen is hopeful Gorecare will meet these goals in its final version.
  • Infrastructure and Technology: Invest in STEM with more scholarships. Digitize the government, bringing it into the 21st century and allowing citizens to conduct business with federal government online. Require all public agencies to post year-end reports based on the results of their programs. Invest and expand infrastructure, there's no reason the greatest country in the world should have roads and bridges in subpar conditions. Work with Governors to get funding to rural areas alongside urban ones, leaving no community behind.
  • Agritourism: Invest in rural communities to promote agritourism, keeping these communities afloat. Insure agricultural and agritourism workers, protecting them from job hazards.
  • End corruption in Washington: Stand up to powerful lobbies by working for the American public, not special interests. Audit the federal government's spending top-down like in Kansas, which helped end the billion-dollar debt the Governor inherited. Make the audit process every four years, coinciding with Presidential inauguration.
  • Protecting the Second Amendment: The right to responsible gun ownership is enshrined in our Constitution. Develop "smart gun" technology rather than restricting the second amendment.
  • Civil Rights: Oppose any attempt to amend the Consitution banning same-sex marriage. Protect LGBT federal employees from discrimination. Protect the rights of LGBT people to serve our country.

February:

1-14th:

- Campaign launch in Topeka
- Open campaign HQ in Topeka
- Launch Middle America Campaign, introducing Kathleen Sebelius to early state voters
- Begin Middle America Campaign in Omaha with Senator Ben Nelson, who endorses Kathleen at a joint rally there

"Kathleen doesn't just know how to win, she knows how to govern. Americans here in Nebraska, in Iowa, and Kansas are often forgotten by the federal government, and we've been left behind by policies in the past decade. Kathleen plans to invest more in our communities, fight for the values of all Americans, urban or rural, and root out corruption in Washington. She's the type of leader we need.

Iowa

- Open Iowa Campaign Office in Sioux City
- Rally in Sioux City
- Townhalls in Western Iowa, with marquee events in Le Mars, Cherokee, and Fort Dodge
- Rally in Ames
- Rally in Des Moines
- Open additional campaign office in West Des Moines, as the campaign is confident they can compete across Iowa
- Townhalls in Southern Iowa, with marquee events in Osceola, Leon, and Clarinda

Missouri
- Cross over into Missouri, with the campaign believing the shared media market will make the state more familiar with Kathleen
- Townhalls in Eagleville, Bethany, and Cameron
- Rally in St Joseph
- Rally in Kansas City
- Open campaign office in Kansas City, coordinating supporters on both the Kansas and Missouri sides of the city
- Townhalls throughout Southwestern portion of Missouri, with rallies in Joplin and Springfield

15-28th:

Oklahoma
- Cross into Oklahoma
- Townhalls in Miami, Vinita, and Pryor
- Rally in Tulsa
- Tour small businesses in Tulsa, which make up the majority of economic activity in the city
- Townhalls in Cushing, Stillwater, and Edmond
- Rally in Oklahoma City
- Townhalls in Shawnee, Checotah, and Sallisaw

Arkansas
- Cross into Arkansas
- Rally in Fort Smith
- Townhalls in Ozark, Clarksville, and Russellville
- Rally in Conway
- Rally in Little Rock

Colorado
- Fly to Denver
- Rally in Denver
- Rally in Aurora
- Rally in Colorado Springs
- Western Colorado tour, with townhall in Breckenridge
- Rally in Grand Junction
- Southern Colorado tour, townhalls in Cortez, Durango, and Pagosa Springs

New Mexico
- Cross into New Mexico
- Townhall in Taos
- Rally in Santa Fe
- Rally in Albuquerque

March:
- Kathleen and her campaign will focus on introducing her to Southern voters, highlighting her moderate record, success as governor, and plan for investing in rural America

1-10th:

Alabama
- Fly to Selma
- Attend ceremonies honoring Selma march
- Listening tour in central Alabama, with events in Selma, Tuskeegee, and Troy
- Rally in Montgomery
- Rally in Birmingham
- Eastern tour with marquee event in Anniston

Georgia
- Cross into Georgia
- Townhall in Carrollton
- Rally in Atlanta
- Listening tour with marquee events in Athens, Rosswell, and Augusta

11-20th:

South Carolina
- Cross into South Carolina
- Townhalls in Aiken, Edgefield, and Lexington
- Rally in Columbia
- Townhalls in Sumter, Camden, and Lake City
- Rally in Florence
- Tour of coastal South Carolina, speaking with communities impacted by climate change, rallies in Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, and Charleston

21-31st:

Tennessee
- Fly to Chattanooga
- Rally in Chattanooga
- Townhalls in Manchester and Murfreesboro
- Rally in Nashville
- Rally in Franklin
- Townhalls in Dickson and Lexington
- Rally in Jackson

Missouri
- Cross into Missouri
- Townhalls in Kennet, Sikeston, and Perryville
- Rally in Chesterfield
- Rally in St Louis

April:

- The campaign's focus in April will be to introduce Kathleen to voters in the Northeast, highlighting her executive experience, plan to make college more affordable, and her anti-corruption plan

New Hampshire:
- Fly to Manchester
- Rally in Manchester
- Rally in Concord
- Listening tour of Northern New Hampshire, visiting orchards and agricultural communities
- Marquee events in Laconia, Woodstock, and Lancaster
- Rallies in Dover and Portsmouth

Massachusetts:

- Cross into Massachusetts
- Rally in Salem
- Rally in Boston
- Tour of Massachusetts with marquee events in Worcester, Springfield, and Pittsfield

New York:
- Cross into New York
- Rally in Albany
- Townhalls in Saratoga Springs, Gloversville, Utica, and Rome
- Rally in Syracuse
- Townhalls in Auburn, Ithaca, and Newark
- Rally in Rochester
- Rally in Buffalo
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »

NBC Republican Presidential Town Hall
All Images from Wikimedia Commons

Good evening and welcome to NBC's GOP presidential town hall. I'm Brian Williams, coming to you from the College of Charleston in beautiful Charleston, South Carolina. Tonight, I'll be serving as your moderator for the Republican presidential candidates. Yesterday night, my colleague Tim Russert was live from Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa with the Democratic candidates for president. Later on this week, Rachel Maddow will be at the University of Nevada in Los Vegas, Nevada hosting Independent candidate Donald J. Trump.

For the last few weeks, we've asked the audience to send in questions that you would like to be asked to our presidential candidates, and the audience has delivered. Tonight's rules are simple. Each candidate will have a few moments for opening remarks. Questions will be posed by voters in the audience tonight, voters from across the nation who sent in videos, or by myself.

Responses will be judged based on clarity, length, and of course response from you, the voters. Let's get started and one at a time introduce the Republican candidates for President of the United States...

Virginia Senator George Allen...

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg...

Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher...

Utah Governor Jon Huntsman...

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal...

Arizona Senator John McCain...

New York Governor George Pataki...

Texas Congressman Ron Paul...

Former Defense Secretary Colin Powell...

and lastly, Florida Congressman Adam Putnam...

Questions for All Candidates
Typical political wisdom would say that after 16 years of Democratic control in the White House, that the American people would opt for a Republican candidate. How are you the best candidate to make sure that there is a Republican in the White House for the first time in 16 years?

Some critics of President Gore have said that the Department of Homeland Security isn't needed because there have only been small terror attacks, which aren't worthy of creating a whole new federal government department. Others have said that this didn't go far enough. Where do you stand on the Department of Homeland Security?

Questions for Specific Candidates

For Senator Allen: During your 2006 re-election campaign, you referred to someone who was a staffer for your opponent, Jim Webb, as a "macaca," a Portuguese word that's translated to 'monkey'. (Here's the exact quote: "This fellow here over here with the yellow shirt, Macaca, or whatever his name is. He's with my opponent. He's following us around everywhere.") What do you say to your critics that say that your remarks are racist?

For Mayor Bloomberg: In 1995, one of your employees filed a complaint that alleged that after she told you that she was pregnant that you told her to "kill it." Are these allegations true and what do you say to pro-life Republicans who may be weary of a Bloomberg nomination and Bloomberg presidency?

For Governor Fletcher: In 2005, the Kentucky Attorney General opened an investigation into your administration about your office allegedly firing government employees based on political loyalties. You and several staff members from your office were indicted and you pardoned your staff members. Since announcing your presidential campaign, the investigation was dropped. However, that still has not ended the comparisons to Richard Nixon's watergate. How can you assure voters across the nation that you will run a competent administration and that you can be trusted in the White House?

For Governor Huntsman: Utah has one of the highest rates of growth in the nation, frequently landing in the the top 5 of growth rankings by state. How do you plan to bring this rate of growth to the federal government, if elected?

For Governor Jindal: The American Civil Liberties Union has recently criticized you and your campaign for running an ad implying that immigrants should be required to be fluent in English in order to have American citizenship. If you're elected president, what specifically will you do to change the immigration process in this country?

For Senator McCain: Conservative groups are reluctant to support your candidacy because of your streak of voting with Democrats in the Senate on some pieces of legislation. Some have referred to you as a RINO. What will you do as president to make sure that conservatives made the right choice for president, if elected?

For Governor Pataki: You frequently disagree with the GOP platform. You're pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-medicaid expansion. As Governor, the deficit in New York also went up. How can you assure the party that you will govern as a Republican with Republican policies?

For Congressman Paul: In the 1990s, you wrote a series of newsletters in a Texas newspaper. Recently, some racist and homophobic comments in those newsletters have arose. One quote says "Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal." You also said "even in my little town of Lake Jackson, Texas, I've urged everyone in my family to know how to use a gun in self defense... for the animals are coming." You said that New York City should be renamed to "Welfaria", "Zooville", "Rapetown", "Dirtburg", and "Lazyopolis". Do you stand by these comments?

To Secretary Powell: Conservative activists are weary of your candidacy due to your previous support of some Democratic politicians and the Powell Doctrine, which would limit U.S. military action abroad. What do you say to those critics and do you stand by the Powell Doctrine?

To Congressman Putnam: Activisits have called you a "sell out" to the NRA because of your A+ rating. Can you elaborate what you would do regarding gun control if elected President?

Since this isn't a debate, there will be no rebuttals. Responses are due June 11. Good luck!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies