Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:36:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How many primary debates should there be?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread  (Read 17786 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »

Election Update 2008
with your host, Tom Brokaw

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome to tonight's edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: And tonight is marked by relatively little on the campaign trail, although we hope that soon the polls will begin to indicate who won the second presidential primary debates.

Brokaw: And now, of course, for our special guest tonight, Congressman Ron Paul from Texas. Congressman, how are you tonight?

Paul: I'm good, Tom. Glad to be here.

Brokaw: And we're glad to have you, as well. Now then, since your breakout debate performance, the best description for your support is “skyrocketing.” What do you believe is the biggest factor behind this?

Paul: Well Tom, people want change. I don’t care who it is, Democrat, Republican or otherwise, after 16 straight years people get tired. And they don’t just get tired of the party or the person. People are tired of these failed policies that aren’t getting us anywhere except in more debt. My campaign is offering them something different. This is the most serious campaign for smaller government and spending since Calvin Coolidge probably. And the fact that we are powered by the support of regular people, many of whom were previously apolitical, is saying to others “hey, maybe there is something going on here.”

Brokaw: A show of support for living one's own life. Now then, some social conservatives have spoken of concerns about your self-proclaimed libertarianism, fearing you may govern more in line with the ideals of the pro-choice, pro-gay rights Libertarian Party. How would you assuage these fears if you are the nominee?

Paul: Tom, if I really supported that, then wouldn’t I be seeking the Libertarian nomination instead? No, I’m seeking the Republican nomination because this is the party of my beliefs, the party of Constitutionalism and the party of common sense. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: look at just about any issue, and you’ll see I’m as conservative as the next guy. As for uniting the party, that is one of the most important factors in this election. Donald Trump is already polling at 10% or higher. If even one or two percent of Republicans vote for him or stay home, we lose. And we simply can’t afford a fifth term of the Clinton Dynasty. I’m more than willing to meet with the other candidates prior to or during the convention process, and seriously talk about how we can put aside our differences and fixate on the common goal. I also think the vice-presidential candidate will play into that quite a bit. I’m not making any promises at this point, but that will be an important decision as we head towards that point.

Brokaw: Strength through unity, lest yet a third straight Democrat win the White House. Now then, assuming you do win the Presidency next year, what would you first 100 days be like?

Paul: My first 100 days would probably see focuses on budgeting and the issue of healthcare. Of course, both of those depend on who controls Congress, but either way I’m going to push for what we want in those areas; namely, checking rampant spending and blocking government intrusion in healthcare. I would also start looking for ways to make the government smaller but still effective where it needs to be. Another issue would be our troops, it’s time to bring them home from all these places. It’s not our job to be policing the world. They don’t want us in many of these places, many Americans don’t want to be there, so why are we? Let’s bring home our kids. And lastly, there are plenty of judicial nominations to be made as president. We need originalist, Constitutional judges who will simply decide cases instead of legislating from the bench and forwarding their own ideologies.

Brokaw: A strong push for government spending cuts and libertarian justices, bringing about the possibility of vastly increasing the national surplus, which has declined in the later years of the Gore administration. Finally, Congressman Paul, if you could say one thing to the American people, what would it be?

Paul: I say that we don’t have to keep electing the same people with the same mindsets over and over. It just doesn’t work. Let’s go with something has been tried and tested, both here and elsewhere. Let’s get the government back to a reasonable size with healthy taxing and spending so people can focus on their own lives and well-being without worrying about Uncle Sam following them around all day. Just give it a try; I’m sure you’ll like it!

Brokaw: Congressman Paul, always a pleasure to have you on.

Paul: Always one to be here, Tom.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in Sunday when we will interview Governor Kathleen Sebelius.

Brokaw: Until then, I'm Tom Brokaw, and this has been your Election Update.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2020, 07:58:09 AM by Cabbage »

Morning Consult Democratic Primary Poll, 1-4 December 2007
Senator Hillary Clinton - 36%
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 30%
Governor Brian Schweitzer - 8% (suspended)
Vice President Joe Lieberman - 1%
Former Senator Mike Gravel - 1%

Morning Consult Republican Primary Poll, 1-4 December 2007
Representative Ron Paul - 40%
Governor Ernie Fletcher - 21% (suspended)
Representative Melissa Hart - 14%
Governor Bobby Jindal - 8% (suspended)
Governor George Pataki - 1%
Former Defense Secretary Colin Powell – 1%
Former Governor Mitt Romney – 0%
Mayor Michael Bloomberg - 0%

Who would you vote for in the 2008 general election?
Democratic Nominee - 38%
Republican Nominee - 38%
Mr. Donald Trump - 15%

Endorsements

Democrats

Hillary Clinton
Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California
Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States
Frank Cownie, Mayor of Des Moines, Iowa
Planned Parenthood
Tom Daschle, U.S. Senator from South Dakota
Tom Harkin, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Leonard Boswell, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 3rd District
Kamala Harris, District Attorney for San Francisco
Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York
Blanche Lincoln, U.S. Senator from Arkansas
Mark Pryor, U.S. Senator from Arkansas
Ted Kennedy, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
Oprah Winfrey, TV show host
Lou D’Allesandro, New Hampshire State Senator
Jesse Jackson, civil rights leader
Sioux City Journal
Russ Feingold, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin
Bruce Braley, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 1st District
Dick Clark, former U.S. Senator from Iowa
AFL-CIO, major labor union
John Lynch, Governor of New Hampshire
Neal Smith, former U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 4th and 5th Districts
Des Moines Register
John A. Durkin, former U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Barack Obama, U.S. Senator from Illinois

Kathleen Sebelius
Ben Nelson, U.S. Senator from Nebraska
Claire McCaskill, Governor of Missouri
Janet Napolitano, Governor of Arizona
Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico
Betty Castor, U.S. Senator from Florida
Barbara Lee, U.S. Representative from California's 9th District
NAACP
Xavier Becerra, U.S. Representative from California's 31st District
Jim Clyburn, U.S. Representative from South Carolina’s 6th District
John Lewis, U.S. Representative for Georgia’s 5th District
Patty Judge, former Iowa Secretary of Agriculture
Gavin Newsom, Mayor of San Francisco
Barbara Boxer, U.S. Senator from California
Jennifer Granholm, Governor of Michigan

Brian Schweitzer
Bernie Sanders, U.S. Senator from Vermont (Independent)
Tom Vilsack, former Governor of Iowa
Jeanne Shaheen, former Governor of New Hampshire
John Conyers, U.S. Representative from Michigan’s 14th District
United Auto Workers, labor union

Joe Lieberman
None

Mike Gravel
None

Republicans

Ron Paul
Walter B. Jones, U.S. Representative from North Carolina’s 3rd District
Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico
George Allen, U.S. Senator from Virginia
Chuck Grassley, U.S. Senator for Iowa
Adam Putnam, U.S. Representative from Florida’s 12th District
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Mike Pence, U.S. Representative from Indiana’s 6th District
Tom Latham, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 4th District
Steve King, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 5th District
Chuck Norris, actor
Kid Rock, musician
Marco Rubio, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives
Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
Nancy Reagan, former First Lady of the United States
Terry Branstad, former Governor of Iowa
Pat Buchanan, former White House Communications Director
Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina
Clint Eastwood, actor
Bill Weld, former Governor of Massachusetts
Craig Benson, former Governor of New Hampshire
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas

Ernie Fletcher
Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator for South Carolina
Jeff Lamberti, U.S. Representative for Iowa’s 3rd District
National Right to Life
John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona
John Sununu, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Jeb Bush, former Governor of Florida
George W. Bush, former Governor of Texas and 2000 presidential nominee
Jim Nussle, Governor of Iowa
Club for Growth

Melissa Hart
None

Bobby Jindal
Jim DeMint, U.S. Senator from South Carolina
Pete Hoekstra, U.S. Representative from Michigan's 2nd District
Charlie Crist, Governor of Florida
Barbara Cubin, U.S. Representative from Wyoming's at-large District

George Pataki
Charlie Bass, U.S. Representative for New Hampshire’s 2nd District
Jim Leach, U.S. Representative for Iowa’s 2nd District

Mitt Romney
None

Michael Bloomberg
Tom Corbett, Attorney General of Pennsylvania

Colin Powell
Susan Collins, U.S. Senator from Maine

Independents

Donald Trump
Jeff Sessions, U.S. Senator from Alabama (Republican)
Tim Allen, actor
United States Constitution Party
Paul E. Vallely, retired U.S. major general
Jimmy Duncan, U.S. Representative from Tennessee's 2nd District (Republican)

Debate results and initial credits will be up later today, ahead of the third debates.

Candidates received all reserved endorsements they could afford; if you would prefer to save up for a bigger reserved endorsement that you mentioned earlier, please let me know. The following candidates have whole credits they can still use to get endorsements now:

Melissa Hart: FREE + 7
Joe Liebeman: FREE + 2
Mitt Romney: FREE + 2
Mike Gravel: FREE

Ron Paul: 8
Donald Trump: 3
Kathleen Sebelius: 1
George Pataki: 1
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 03:25:33 PM »

AP RELEASES POLLS ON WHO WON SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

Following CNN News's second presidential debates for both parties, the Associated Press took a poll to ascertain who was found to have done the best overall; here are the results:

AMONG INDEPENDENTS:
Senator Russ Feingold - 23.1%
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 21.8%
Representative Ron Paul - 15.4%
Governor Brian Schweitzer - 12.6%
Mr. Donald Trump - 12.2% (protest vote over lack of second Trump townhall)
Representative Melissa Hart - 8.1%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 6.8%

AMONG DEMOCRATS (DEMOCRATS ONLY):
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 43.8%
Senator Russ Feingold - 22.6%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 20.5%
Governor Brian Schweitzer - 12.2%

AMONG REPUBLICANS (REPUBLICANS ONLY):
Representative Melissa Hart - 59.2%
Representative Ron Paul - 40.8%

These polls showing a very good night for female candidates among those who identify with a party, as 65.3% of Democrats and 59.2% of Republicans said a woman did best in the debates. This number dropped sharply, however, when the poll was put to independents, only 36.7% of whom said one of the three women who participated in one of the debates did best overall (albeit only a slim majority stated that a man who participated did the best, as nearly one vote in eight was cast for Donald Trump out of protest that he didn't get offered another townhall). On a more individual note, Governor Sebelius and Congresswoman Hart continuing their rise in the polls; it remains to be seen if this will blunt Congressman Paul's momentum among Republicans, and another difficult debate for the onetime nearly uncontested Democratic frontrunner.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »

THIRD DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
All Images from Wikimedia Commons

Good evening and welcome to the third presidential debate of the 2008 election. I'm Charles Gibson of ABC News, coming to you from St. Anselm College in beautiful Goffstown, New Hampshire. Tonight, I'll be serving as your moderator for the Democratic presidential candidates. Later on, we'll have the Republican candidates hosted by George Stephanopoulos.

For the last few weeks, we've asked the audience to send in questions that you would like to be asked to our presidential candidates, and the audience has delivered. Tonight's rules are simple. Each candidate will have a few moments for opening remarks. Questions will be posed by myself, with each candidate getting a specific one. Afterwards, candidates will be asked for closing statements and rebuttals, if they so wish.

Responses will be judged based on clarity, length, and of course response from you, the voters. Let's get started and one at a time introduce the Democratic candidates for President of the United States...

New York Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton...

Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold...

Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel...

Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer...

California Congresswoman Barbara Lee...

Vice President Joe Lieberman...

and finally, Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius

Questions for Specific Candidates

For Senator Clinton: One complaint against you that's been gaining steam recently is that you're currently struggling to win over independents compared to other candidates both on this stage and off it. How do you intend to win over this key group if you are the nominee?

For Senator Feingold: With Congresswoman Lee's recent drop in the polls, you've emerged as the most prominent candidate in the progressive wing of the party. How do you intend to capitalize on this new status in your quest for the nomination?

For Senator Gravel: You’ve been out of the Senate for nearly three decades now. How do you intend to stand out in a field of far more recent politicians?

For Governor Schweitzer: You said at the last debate that big banks and big pharma are "holding court in Congress." How do you intend to stop this process, given that many of the members of Congress with large amounts of financial backing from these large corporations are members of your own party?

For Congresswoman Lee: You have called for a massive overhaul of the current prison system in America, including a ban on private prisons. How would we pay for prisons that would shift back under government control?

To Vice President Lieberman: Some on the left have claimed that you aren’t the right nominee for a party that “wants to move forward.” How do you respond to these attacks?

For Governor Sebelius: You've risen from someone little known outside her home state to tied for the lead in this hard-fought primary race. How do you intend to improve on this status in what has so far proven to be an environment constantly in flux?

Answers are due July 5. Good luck!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »

THIRD REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
All Images from Wikimedia Commons

Good evening and welcome to the third GOP presidential debate. I'm George Stephanopoulos, coming to you from St. Anselm College in beautiful Goffstown, New Hampshire. Tonight, I'll be serving as your moderator for the Republican presidential candidates. Earlier, my colleague Charles Gibson was live from this very same room with the Democratic candidates for president.

For the last few weeks, we've asked the audience to send in questions that you would like to be asked to our presidential candidates, and the audience has delivered. Tonight's rules are simple. Each candidate will have a few moments for opening remarks. Questions will be posed by myself, with each candidate getting a specific one. Afterwards, candidates will be asked for closing statements and rebuttals, if they so wish.

Responses will be judged based on clarity, length, and of course response from you, the voters. Let's get started and one at a time introduce the Republican candidates for President of the United States...

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg...

Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher...

Pennsylvania Congresswoman Melissa Hart...

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal...

New York Governor George Pataki...

Texas Congressman Ron Paul...

Former Defense Secretary Colin Powell...

and lastly, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney...

Questions for Specific Candidates

For Mayor Bloomberg: If elected, you would be the richest President in history. How do you intend to convince the average American that you understand their plight?

For Governor Fletcher: Some have begun to call you the candidate of "hope and change" for Republicans. Why do you believe this is?

For Congresswoman Hart: Despite having little name recognition when you started your bid, you're now in double digits. Why do you believe this is?

For Governor Jindal: You’ve stated that you will "bring back" jobs that President Gore has destroyed. Which jobs are these, and how would you bring them back?

For Governor Pataki: You have made regular reference to your tax cuts in New York as proof of your conservative chops; how would you reform the tax code as President?

For Congressman Paul: Despite losing the last debate among Republicans, you scored more independent support than any of your opponents on this stage among independents. Do you believe this proves that you are the best candidate to win over independents as you push for the White House?

To Secretary Powell: Many Republicans have complained about your preaching Republican Party unity after serving six years under a Democratic administration. How do you respond to these people who claim you’re being an opportunist?

To Governor Romney: Despite entering the race in a reasonable position, you have since slumped to the lower single digits. What do you believe is the cause of this, and how do you intend to right it?

Responses are due July 5. Good luck!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 06:12:59 PM »

Election Update 2008

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome to tonight's edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: And tonight is marked by victories for Kathleen Sebelius and Melissa Hart in the respective parties' debates, as well as Donald Trump's call for an edited form of townhall.

Brokaw: And now, of course, for our special guest tonight, Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Texas. Governor, how are you tonight?

Sebelius: I'm good, Tom. Glad to be here.

Brokaw: And we're glad to have you, as well. Now then, you have complained in a speech in New Hampshire about the efforts to anoint a frontrunner to “maintain the status quo in Washington.” What do you say to the counterargument that a “quick and clean” primary may well be necessary to prevent a Republican takeover after sixteen years of Democratic rule?

Sebelius: Being out on the trail, I can tell you, the American people don’t want more of the same, they want fresh ideas. A coronation in this primary would send the message that political elites think they know what’s best for people without hearing their concerns. I believe primaries are healthy for political parties, and they give the people the chance to have their voices heard about who they believe is best to lead not only the party but the country. We need a nominee who is battle-tested, who can energize Democrats, Independents, and moderate Republicans, someone who can defend her positions and plans and is a proven advocate for the American people. We can only get a nominee like that out of a contested primary like this one.

Brokaw: A cautionary tale: anointings reek of establishment puppet strings. Now then, you have made very clear that you would govern as an outsider. How would you deal with scenarios which many claim would require “an insider’s touch,” such as ending the impasse on Gorecare in a scenario where the Republicans maintain control of the House?

Sebelius: For the entirety of my time as Governor of Kansas, I’ve had to work with a veto-proof Republican majority, so I know how to reach across the aisle to pass important legislation. However, I know the situation we face in Washington is tenuous, and an insider’s touch as you put it would be helpful to pass all of the bold changes we need. That’s why I will value Congressional experience in my Vice Presidential pick to balance my own Executive experience. This allows me to focus on my strengths of being the Chief Executive and will allow my Vice President to serve as not only a tiebreaker in the Senate but a liaison to Congress, having built relationships there that, as an outsider in Washington, I won’t yet have.

Brokaw: Capability garnered through experience, the best kind. Now then, assuming you do win the Presidency next year, what would you first 100 days be like?

Sebelius: My first 100 days will be focused on updating and modernizing our government, alongside setting the groundwork for the audit of government spending. These two projects go hand in hand, as outdated systems slow down nearly everything in government and increase the costs, so any dollar spent on bringing our systems into the 21st century will be saved due to increased efficiency. Next, I will work with Congress on passing my proposed College for All plan, which would allow the Department of Education to directly loan to students, help offset the costs of books and tuition to students who are working part-time or participating in internships and collaborate with school districts to create a curriculum to prepare students for college. Finally, I will work to pass a bipartisan bill of tax credits, focused on small businesses and caretakers, in order to give back to those who are truly the backbone of our economy.

Brokaw: Efficiency and affordable education, a fine combination. Finally, Governor Sebelius, if you could say one thing to the American people, what would it be?

Sebelius: I would say that I represent a new path forward, one that doesn’t just advocate for Democratic or Republican values, but for American values. I believe in personal liberty with a government that works for and is held accountable by the public. I believe that the best country on Earth deserves the best education and healthcare systems in the world. I believe that we can work together to build a fairer country where anyone can build success regardless of how wealthy or poor their parents are, the color of their skin, or who they love. If you agree, then I’m your candidate.

Brokaw: Governor Sebelius, always a pleasure to have you on.

Paul: Always one to be here, Tom.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. Tune in Tuesday when we will interview Senator Russ Feingold.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »

Election Update 2008

Brokaw: And tonight is marked by the endorsement of Congressman Paul by several current and former governors.

Brokaw: And now, unfortunately, Senator Feingold could not be with us tonight, so there is no interview tonight.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. We don't have an interview lined up for Thursday yet, but that may change.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »

Unfortunately, Bobby Jindal has suspended his campaign for President of the United States.

(personal stuff going on irl, thank you for making this game, sorry I didn't have any time)

You're good, man.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 10:49:27 PM »

Lee Drops Out!

Rep. Barbara Lee announced that she is suspending her campaign for President of the United States after months of campaigning. The Congresswoman said she is grateful to all of those that supported her movement and that she looks forward to helping the Democratic Nominee win in November, whoever they may be. Lee made no endorsement however she indicated her support for Governor Kathleen Sebelius in her statement.

Hey, I'm dropping out. Just don't have time for the game, but thanks for hosting it.

Got it.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »

PHASE III, TURN I: SO IT BEGINS

And so Iowa is at last nearly here, following an eventful December. On the Democratic side, the race has turned into a battle between Senator Hillary Clinton, around whom has coalesced much of the establishment, as well as numerous African American leaders, and Governor Kathleen Sebelius, now the anti-establishment icon despite her relatively moderate views. While Clinton holds the lead nationally, many believe Sebelius could have the edge due to her regional support. Whether she does or not may decide the fate of all remaining resistance to the former First Lady.

Among the Republicans, many pundits still argue it's a two-way fight, but with both combatants being members of the U.S. House. With the clear advantage is Ron Paul of Texas, whose campaign has been ascendant since the early days of the race, and who is now hoping for a coronation in the Hawkeye State. The only candidate left who seems capable of stopping him is Melissa Hart of Pennsylvania. While she trails significantly, some argue that she may be able to coalesce anti-Paul factions around herself, much as Sebelius has done in the Democratic primary.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump continues to push to consolidate and strengthen his position. His aides have brought to his attention that many Feingold voters are unhappy with their candidate's endorsement, with some conspiracy theorists claiming it was coerced by the Clinton campaign (although this is unproven and unlikely). As well, there are reports of Trump-backing challengers emerging in downballot races. In North Carolina, for example, businessman Mark Meadows has voiced open support for Trump in his bid to unseat long-serving Congressman Charles H. Taylor, attacking him on his support of NAFTA and his proposal that a similar agreement should exist for Central America. Time will tell how this plays out.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2020, 07:23:59 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2020, 05:28:24 PM by Cabbage »

Morning Consult Democratic Primary Poll, 29-31 December 2007
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 47%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 45%

Morning Consult Republican Primary Poll, 29-31 December 2007
Representative Ron Paul - 67%
Representative Melissa Hart - 14%

Who would you vote for in the 2008 general election?
Democratic Nominee - 36%
Republican Nominee - 36%
Mr. Donald Trump - 19%

Endorsements

Democrats

Hillary Clinton
Dianne Feinstein, U.S. Senator from California
Bill Clinton, 42nd President of the United States
Frank Cownie, Mayor of Des Moines, Iowa
Planned Parenthood
Tom Daschle, U.S. Senator from South Dakota
Tom Harkin, U.S. Senator from Iowa
Leonard Boswell, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 3rd District
Kamala Harris, District Attorney for San Francisco
Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator from New York
Blanche Lincoln, U.S. Senator from Arkansas
Mark Pryor, U.S. Senator from Arkansas
Ted Kennedy, U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
Oprah Winfrey, TV show host
Lou D’Allesandro, New Hampshire State Senator
Jesse Jackson, civil rights leader
Sioux City Journal
Russ Feingold, U.S. Senator from Wisconsin
Bruce Braley, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 1st District
Dick Clark, former U.S. Senator from Iowa
AFL-CIO, major labor union
John Lynch, Governor of New Hampshire
Neal Smith, former U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 4th and 5th Districts
Des Moines Register
John A. Durkin, former U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
Barack Obama, U.S. Senator from Illinois
Nancy Pelosi, U.S. Representative from California's 9th District
Elijah Cummings, U.S. Representative from Maryland's 7th District
Culinary Workers Union

Kathleen Sebelius
Ben Nelson, U.S. Senator from Nebraska
Claire McCaskill, Governor of Missouri
Janet Napolitano, Governor of Arizona
Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico
Betty Castor, U.S. Senator from Florida
Barbara Lee, U.S. Representative from California's 9th District
NAACP
Xavier Becerra, U.S. Representative from California's 31st District
Jim Clyburn, U.S. Representative from South Carolina’s 6th District
John Lewis, U.S. Representative for Georgia’s 5th District
Patty Judge, former Iowa Secretary of Agriculture
Gavin Newsom, Mayor of San Francisco
Barbara Boxer, U.S. Senator from California
Jennifer Granholm, Governor of Michigan
Brian Schweitzer, Governor of Montana
Bernie Sanders, U.S. Senator from Vermont (Independent)
Tom Vilsack, former Governor of Iowa
Jeanne Shaheen, former Governor of New Hampshire
John Conyers, U.S. Representative from Michigan’s 14th District
United Auto Workers, labor union
Sanford Bishop, U.S. Representative from Georgia's 2nd District
Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts

Republicans

Ron Paul
Walter B. Jones, U.S. Representative from North Carolina’s 3rd District
Gary Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico
George Allen, U.S. Senator from Virginia
Chuck Grassley, U.S. Senator for Iowa
Adam Putnam, U.S. Representative from Florida’s 12th District
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California
Mike Pence, U.S. Representative from Indiana’s 6th District
Tom Latham, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 4th District
Steve King, U.S. Representative from Iowa’s 5th District
Chuck Norris, actor
Kid Rock, musician
Marco Rubio, Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives
Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
Nancy Reagan, former First Lady of the United States
Terry Branstad, former Governor of Iowa
Pat Buchanan, former White House Communications Director
Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina
Clint Eastwood, actor
Bill Weld, former Governor of Massachusetts
Craig Benson, former Governor of New Hampshire
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas

Melissa Hart
None

Independents

Donald Trump
Jeff Sessions, U.S. Senator from Alabama (Republican)
Tim Allen, actor
United States Constitution Party
Paul E. Vallely, retired U.S. major general
Jimmy Duncan, U.S. Representative from Tennessee's 2nd District (Republican)
Jim Webb, former U.S. Secretary of the Navy (Democrat)
Fred Williamson, actor
Joe Arpaio, Sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona (Republican)
Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York City (Republican)

Debate results will be up later today, ahead of the Iowa caucus results (next debate will be up tomorrow or Monday).

Remaining Credits:

Melissa Hart: FREE + 10

Ron Paul: 22
Hillary Clinton: 4
Donald Trump: 2
Kathleen Sebelius: 2
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »

AP RELEASES POLLS ON WHO WON THIRD PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES

Following CNN News's second presidential debates for both parties, the Associated Press took a poll to ascertain who was found to have done the best overall; here are the results:

AMONG INDEPENDENTS:
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 33.8%
Representative Ron Paul - 27.4%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 24.8%
Mr. Donald Trump - 14.0% (continued protest vote over lack of second Trump townhall)

AMONG DEMOCRATS (DEMOCRATS ONLY):
Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 55.8%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 44.2%

AMONG REPUBLICANS (REPUBLICANS ONLY):
Representative Ron Paul - 99.2%
Various Protest Votes - 0.8%

These polls showing a critical debate victory for Governor Sebelius ahead of the Iowa caucuses, which many pundits believe could make or break her campaign. However, these results are a marked improvement for Senator Clinton, who previously had struggled to win over many voters in these debates, even winning over almost a quarter of independents, a constituency among which she failed to break into double digits in the last debate. Meanwhile, Congressman Paul had the only memorable debate performance, winning more than 99% of support from Republicans. Of the few protest votes, most were unsurprisingly for Donald Trump, who has seen his meteoric rise fueled yet further as the Feingold family appears to stoke the insidious rumors surrounding Senator Clinton. As a result of this, Fox News has finally agreed to give him a second townhall, offering him five questions with no limit on response length. The New York businessman, whom some right-wing pundits are now comparing more to Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 than Ross Perot in 1992, has yet to respond to this offer, but many of his backers are hopeful he will accept.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2020, 03:17:16 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome to tonight's special Iowa caucuses edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: The first results are now coming in from caucus centers across the Hawkeye State, and we have a result already.

RON PAUL WINS THE IOWA REPUBLICAN CAUCUSES

Representative Ron Paul - 76.7%
Representative Melissa Hart - 18.6%
Others - 4.7%

Brokaw: Not a surprising result, as Paul was largely viewed as the frontrunner in this race, with a hearty lead in most polls. Meanwhile, we have a much closer race on the Democratic side:

Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 51.2%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 45.9%
Others - 2.9%

Brokaw: Governor Sebelius now leading in Iowa, but only a small fraction of the vote in, as about 1% of caucus sites are reporting. Stay tuned for more election results.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2020, 03:21:28 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome back to tonight's special Iowa caucuses edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: More results are now coming in from caucus centers across the Hawkeye State, as we continue to watch the hotly contested Democratic race, as Congressman Paul has already won the Republican caucuses.

Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 53.0%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 44.6%
Others - 2.4%

Brokaw: Governor Sebelius still leading in Iowa, with now about 25% of caucus sites reporting. Stay tuned for more election results.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome back to tonight's special Iowa caucuses edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: More results are now coming in from caucus centers across the Hawkeye State, as we continue to watch the hotly contested Democratic race, as Congressman Paul has already won the Republican caucuses.

Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 52.6%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 45.1%
Others - 2.3%

Brokaw: Governor Sebelius still leading, although Senator Clinton has shrunk the margin a little, with now about 50% of caucus sites reporting. Stay tuned for more election results.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2020, 03:29:32 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: More results are now coming in from caucus centers across the Hawkeye State, and we can make a call in the hotly contested Democratic race.

KATHLEEN SEBELIUS WINS THE IOWA DEMOCRATIC CAUCUSES

Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 52.2%
Senator Hillary Clinton - 44.5%
Others - 3.3%

Brokaw: Governor Sebelius having now won, this will conclude our coverage of tonight's caucuses. Final results and delegate counts will be up shortly. Thank you so much for tuning in to tonight's special edition of your election update.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »

FINAL RESULTS, 2008 IOWA CAUCUSES

Democrats

Governor Kathleen Sebelius - 53.0%, 27 delegates

Senator Hillary Clinton - 44.9%, 18 delegates

Republicans

Representative Ron Paul - 79.6%, 37 delegates
Representative Melissa Hart - 17.6%, 3 delegates

Sorry this was so quick, but due to the nature of the holiday I figured I'd get this out early so it doesn't mess with anyone's evening holiday plans.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »

Sorry, m8. After a while, I thought you just got busy or something, like a lot of the players.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2020, 06:49:30 PM »

Election Update 2008

Brokaw: And tonight is marked by twin victories in Iowa, by Governor Kathleen Sebelius and Congressman Ron Paul, respectively.

Brokaw: And now, of course, for our special guest tonight, Senator Hillary Clinton from New York. Senator, how are you tonight?

Clinton: I'm good, Tom. Glad to be here.

Brokaw: And we're glad to have you, as well. Now then, as we headed into Iowa, the pundits were predicting this state could be decisive in whether this is a coronation or a grudge match. Now that Sebelius has carried the state, how do you intend to prevail in this battle?

Clinton: Well look I focused on winning Iowa, I was confident in our abilities to win Iowa, not too long ago Senator Feingold did a rally for us in Iowa and I was confident in our chances, but I believed and continue to believe that no matter what happened in Iowa, I am fully committed to working full time to winning this election and getting to work for the American people, that is my goal and I fully expect to meet that goal.

Brokaw: As the saying goes, it's not over 'til it's over. Now then, in all three recent debates, you’ve struggled to convince independents you’re right for the job, albeit you did somewhat better in the most recent of the three. How do you intend to win them over if you’re the nominee?

Clinton: I believe we need to win over all factions of the country, that involve Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. Obviously I do intend on reaching out to Independents because that is a key group that decides elections.

Independents strongly believe in issues like Universal Healthcare which I have been a supporter for almost 35 years. They also believe in issues like Criminal Justice Reform which I have also been advocating for. So I will continue to speak on these issues and I will continue to expand that message to all voters alike, including independents.

Brokaw: An appeal to the issues to dispel their skepticism. Now then, conspiracy theorists have claimed Senator Feingold’s sudden exit from the race and subsequent endorsement of you are “out of character and may have been coerced.” This has been bolstered by members of Feingold's family, who appear to be operating under the assumption he's been kidnapped. How do you respond to these claims?

Clinton: Well look I was just as shocked when Senator Feingold endorsed me as many people were. But I am absolutely humbled by Senator Feingold's endorsement, I have known Russ ever since I became First Lady of the United States and I believe he has done a great job in the United States Senate. And his support is greatly appreciated and I can't wait to work with him as President. Furthermore, the idea that I kidnapped him is really insane: is anyone in their right mind going to believe I kidnapped a competitor in a presidential contest, when literally every media spotlight is on me? There's simply no logic that connects the two.

Brokaw: A bond forged in the upper chamber, stronger than ideological difference. Finally, Senator, if you could say one thing to the American people, what would it be?

Clinton: What I would say is that for the past 16 years the Democratic Party has been in it for you. And we always have been. If you look at the leadership we have seen such great success under both my husband and President Gore and we can continue that with a Clinton Administration.

So I say let's come together as American's to declare our own destiny because we can do whatever we set our minds too. And to the people of New Hampshire: Don't forget to vote for Hillary Clinton on January 8th! (laughs)

It's always a pleasure to be here Tom.

Brokaw: And to have you here as well, Senator.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. We do not have an interview scheduled for Monday, but that may be subject to change.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 10:45:15 PM »

PHASE III, TURN II: WILL OF GRANITE

And so Governor Sebelius keeps the primaries competitive as she manages to defeat Senator Clinton in Iowa, boosted by both another debate victory and her unique appeal to Iowans as the Governor of a nearby state. Senator Clinton, however, not to be shaken so easily, has shifted her attentions to New Hampshire, a state where she, being from New York, hopes to perform significantly better.

Among the Republicans, many pundits are giving Ron Paul the win, as his landslide victory in Iowa has left little chance of Congresswoman Hart catching up. While the Hart campaign has yet to comment on the results, it has been noted they seem more lively than they should, and that the Congresswoman from Pennsylvania may hold out far longer than most anticipated.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump finds an exploitable circumstance in the recent disappearance of Senator Feingold. With the Feingold family claiming Hillary Clinton's campaign was involved, anti-establishment sentiment has soared nationwide, a major boon for the most formidable independent or third party candidate in nearly a century. Despite this, it may have been for the best that Trump elected not to involve himself directly, as certain groups have expressed skepticism at the lack of rationale behind such an act. As well, despite evoking the anger of many House incumbents, Trump's support of Mark Meadows has prompted dozens of other Trump supporters to challenge incumbent Republicans. Among these is Chris Lauzen, challenging House Speaker Hastert and claiming alarming charges against him. If these claims are baseless, Trump's supporting them could be embarrassing, but if Hastert actually did molest several teenage boys...

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 02:44:45 PM »

Melissa Hart Withdraws from Primary, Endorses Paul

"I want to thank my supporters for all of their tireless work advocating for me and conservative beliefs, but today I'm here to announce that my campaign is over. I've had some time to think since Iowa, and I believe we need to get it together this year and take back the White House for the first time in almost two decades, so I'm proud to endorse the man who can do it, Ron Paul! Thank you everyone, I'm so proud of the accomplishments our campaign was able to achieve, but now it's time to take back the White House!"

Got it.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »

Election Update 2008

Brokaw: And tonight is marked by the leadup to New Hampshire and the dropout of Congresswoman Melissa Hart, which has made the Republican primary a de facto coronation for Congressman Ron Paul.

Brokaw: And now, of course, for our special guest tonight, Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius. Governor, how are you tonight?

Sebelius: I'm good, Tom. Glad to be here.

Brokaw: And we're glad to have you, as well. Now then, despite being counted out for most of 2007, you’ve now silenced the naysayers with you win in Iowa. Where do you intend to go from here?

Sebelius: The support from Iowa is absolutely inspiring, it has energized our campaign and I feel the momentum. The truth is, we just ran on the issues people care about, people don’t want more of the same Washington, focus-grouped messaging, they want real solutions from a new perspective. I don’t plan on resting easy after this hard-fought victory, as 49 states and our territories have yet to have their voices heard. Right now, our focus is getting our message out to Americans, it’s what worked in Iowa, and we plan on taking it to New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, and to Super Tuesday.

Brokaw: As the saying goes, it's not over 'til it's over. Now then, your primary campaign has largely run on the fact that you’re not a part of the Washington establishment. This can also be said about Donald Trump and, to a degree, Congressman Paul. What do you believe the support all of you have received says about public opinion regarding Washington?

Sebelius: Something I noticed early on while campaigning is the insider fatigue many in our country are experiencing. Americans are tired of the same style of politics and are looking for a different way to run our country, and we’ve seen that through the primary with the candidacies of my friends Barbara Lee and Brian Schweitzer. It is a sign that our political establishment is failing us, they are promising change and progress, but delivering a watered-down version of it. It’s the reason I got in this race, to begin with because I believe we need Washington to work for the people, not party figures or special interests.

Brokaw: A call for actual progress in a time when the country needs it most. Now then, following the disappearance of Senator Feingold, while many conspiracy theorists support the Feingold family’s narrative that he may have been kidnapped by the Clinton campaign, others are beginning to suggest he has, in fact, voluntarily gone into hiding as part of an elaborate scheme to stoke anti-Clinton sentiment. Do you believe any of these rumors have credence?

Sebelius: Like many of you, I have been following this story very closely. The whole thing is very strange and lends itself to all sorts of conspiracies and rumors, however, I believe that’s dangerous waters for any of us to wade into. I pray for Russ Feingold’s swift return to public life and hope this is all just a misunderstanding between him and his family. I’ve joined Senator Clinton in calling for a thorough investigation, and I hope all of my supporters will join me against any spread of conspiracies around this. A man is missing, his family is worried, we should be cautious about what we say before more information is available.

Brokaw: A call for patience and reason when so many want to jump to uninformed conclusions. Finally, Governor, if you could say one thing to the American people, what would it be?

Sebelius: I would tell the American people not to lose hope. I know we’re in a tumultuous time, but we can accomplish great things together. We have hard work in front of us, but as your President, I will not back down from hard work to achieve the kind of progress our country needs. As we saw in Iowa, together we can build a coalition that can win everywhere, the type of coalition that can not only win elections but govern. We have a bright future ahead, one with a functional government accountable to its people, with affordable healthcare and education. I hope you’ll join this campaign to help make those goals a reality.

Brokaw: Always a pleasure to have you on, Governor Sebelius.

Sebelius: Always one to be here, Tom.

Brokaw: And that will be all for tonight. We do not have an interview scheduled for Wednesday, but that may be subject to change.

Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome to tonight's special Wyoming caucuses and New Hampshire primaries edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: The first results are now coming in from precincts across the Granite State, and we have a result already.

Brokaw: This is not a surprise, as Congresswoman Hart, Congressman Paul's only remaining challenger, suspended her campaign following a dismal showing in the Iowa caucuses. In the Democratic race, however, things are much less clear cut.

Brokaw: These are early results, but they give Senator Clinton an early lead in a state not far at all from her home in New York. Still, the race is too early to call at this time. We will be back with more results after the break.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome back to tonight's special Wyoming caucuses and New Hampshire primaries edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: More results are now coming in from precincts across the Granite State, and we are now looking at this spread in the hotly contested Democratic primary.

Brokaw: These are incomplete results, but they give Senator Clinton a sizable lead in a state not far at all from her home in New York. Still, the race is too early to call at this time. We will be back with more results after the break.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »

Election Results 2008

Brokaw: Good evening. I'm Tom Brokaw, and welcome back to tonight's special Wyoming caucuses and New Hampshire primaries edition of Election Update 2008.

Brokaw: More results are now coming in from precincts across the Granite State, as well as from caucus centers in Wyoming, and we have two results.

Brokaw: We can also now make a projection regarding delegate totals in the Republican race.

Brokaw: All races have now been called, but we will continue to follow the Democratic race to better ascertain delegate totals. Stay tuned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies