Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:44:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region?  (Read 1216 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:56:08 PM »

According to the census, the US has four regions: Northeast, Midwest, South and West. Some states fit very well into their regions: Massachusetts is 100% Northeast, Alabama is 100% South, Wisconsin is 100% Midwest, California is 100% West.
Which states are more similar to other regions?
Maryland, Delaware and DC are South. But are they similar to the Northeast?
Kentucky and West Virginia are South. Do they share some characteristcs with the Midwest?
Pennsylvania is Northeast. Does west Pennsylvania look like Midwest?
Does west Texas look like West?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:34:31 PM »

Missouri has ties to the Midwest and South. Maryland, Delaware, and DC are now basically Northeast. Oklahoma is Southern, but a few small parts have Midwestern ties.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »

Illinois. Southern Illinois is pretty much the south - Cairo is much closer to Memphis than to Chicago. Western and central Illinois are stereotypically Midwestern with lots of cornfields, Chicago itself is a major global city, and the collar counties are affluent suburbia.

Also Virginia. At this point, Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William are pretty much an extension of the Northeast, while the rest of the state is either Appalachia or the South.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:28 PM »

Virginia, Missouri, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky come to mind first.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

Maryland, Delaware, DC, and Virginia are all deeply southern states, but to varying degrees are closely tied to the adjacent northern metros and are part of the BosWash corridor.

Florida is Southern too, but there are certain Northeastern aspects to the Miami area, and some cultural influence from the Midwest in Southwest Florida.

Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana are Western states but have certain midwestern aspects as much of them are extensions of Western Kansas, the Dakotas, etc.

Hawai'i doesn't fit well into any U.S. regions--it's properly a part of Polynesia culturally, or just its own thing--but there's a lot East Asian influence, as well as obviously some similarities to the Western U.S.

There are obviously more examples but these feel the most salient.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 09:55:04 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 10:33:01 AM by Orser67 »

Northeast and South: DE, MD, WV, DC, VA
Northeast and Midwest: PA, NY
Northeast, South, and Midwest: FL
South and Midwest: OH, IN, IL, KY
South and West: TX
Midwest and West: KS, NE, ND, SD
South, Midwest, and West: MO, OK

Edit: added NY to Northeast/Midwest category, as I agree with TML's comment below about western New York.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:34:13 PM »

I think my home state of NY also qualifies as being divided between the NE and Midwest: western NY has considerable midwestern influence, which you hardly see elsewhere in the state (this would explain counties like Niagara & Chautauqua breaking strongly for Trump in 2016 despite Obama having won each one at least once, and it's currently hard for me to imagine either of these two counties being won by a Democrat in a statewide race anytime soon).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »

The vast majority ... in fact, looking at a map, I would say these are the only states that DON'T have areas with ties to more than one region or large subregion:

NEW ENGLAND - Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island & Vermont
MIDWEST (BIG TEN COUNTRY) - Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin
GREAT PLAINS - North Dakota and South Dakota
MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah
SOUTHWEST - Arizona and New Mexico

This is subjective and depends on how you carve out the regions, but using an example of my home region's states that weren't included:

IL: As said above, the southern third of Illinois is quite culturally Southern (i.e., "Little Egypt").
IN: Though I am less knowledgeable about it, Southern Indiana is also starting to get fairly "Southern" in some areas.
KS: While the rest of the state becomes more "Plainsy," the Kansas City suburbs have less of that feel.
MN: Western Minnesota is kind of the inverse of Nebraska in that its population likely "defers" to the Dakotas a bit more, and therefore the Plains.
MO: A big mess.
NE: Omaha has a feel decidedly more like Iowa, whereas the rest of Nebraska (west of Lincoln, anyway) has a much more Plains-like (or "Western Midwest") aspect to its culture.
OH: A bit of Appalachia in there.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »

Florida is probably the biggest one as it contains a mish-mash of Southern, Midwestern, and Northeastern residents, respectively.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 11:56:54 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2020, 12:05:49 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

I believe that there was an article written by 538 where they conducted a survey of residents in each region and asked them which states they personally considered to be a part of their region. Missouri ended up being the orphan child that no region claimed as one of their own.

For the record, Missouri is listed as Midwestern by the U.S. Census Bureau, and you definitely get a good taste of that in a place like St. Louis. The vast majority of the rural areas and small towns throughout the state are clearly more southern in culture, though. Then there’s the Great Plains influence out by Kansas City and St. Joseph.

Missouri is probably the single most amalgamated state as far as regional influences go.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »

Missouri is the most divided: The easternmost western state, westernmost eastern state, southernmost northern state, and northernmost southern state.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 09:51:36 PM »

The vast majority ... in fact, looking at a map, I would say these are the only states that DON'T have areas with ties to more than one region or large subregion:

MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah

This is subjective and depends on how you carve out the regions, but using an example of my home region's states that weren't included:

IL: As said above, the southern third of Illinois is quite culturally Southern (i.e., "Little Egypt").
IN: Though I am less knowledgeable about it, Southern Indiana is also starting to get fairly "Southern" in some areas.
KS: While the rest of the state becomes more "Plainsy," the Kansas City suburbs have less of that feel.
MN: Western Minnesota is kind of the inverse of Nebraska in that its population likely "defers" to the Dakotas a bit more, and therefore the Plains.
NE: Omaha has a feel decidedly more like Iowa, whereas the rest of Nebraska (west of Lincoln, anyway) has a much more Plains-like (or "Western Midwest") aspect to its culture.

I agree with your post, but I really think there are at least a handful of states (starting with Alabama and Mississippi) that could only be described as one Southern region.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 01:29:17 AM »

How has Texas not been mentioned yet on this thread?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 10:19:46 AM »

West Virginia (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest) and Texas (Southeast, Midwest, West) are the only "tri-regional" states. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 11:28:12 AM »

West Virginia (Northeast, Southeast, Midwest) and Texas (Southeast, Midwest, West) are the only "tri-regional" states. 

I'd throw Oklahoma in there as well with the same 3 as Texas.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

I'd throw Oklahoma in there as well with the same 3 as Texas.

I think El Paso makes it a bit easier to classify certain parts of Texas as Western--there really isn't anywhere as culturally Western in Oklahoma.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »

MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah

I agree with your post, but I really think there are at least a handful of states (starting with Alabama and Mississippi) that could only be described as one Southern region.

They’re both clearly Southern all the way through, but both would straddle subregions within the South, IMO (e.g., the Deep South, Appalachia, maybe “the Gulf,” etc.).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »

MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah

They’re both clearly Southern all the way through, but both would straddle subregions within the South, IMO (e.g., the Deep South, Appalachia, maybe “the Gulf,” etc.).

Maybe, but I don't see how Michigan isn't split between a "Rust Belt" sub-region and a more German-dominated, "Northern Lakes" sub-region.  DTW seems distinctly more connected to the Lake Erie arch (passing through Toledo, Cleveland and onto Buffalo) whereas the UP feels more akin to parts of Minnesota.  Ditto for Wisconsin, since Chicagoland and the Northern Highlands are pretty obviously not part of the same sub-region, either. 

My perception of the Midwest (from someone who doesn't consider himself particularly well-versed in it, mind you) is something like this:

Rust Belt
Chicagoland
Northern Lakes
Corn Belt

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »

I’ve never heard anybody refer to Texas as Midwestern in its characteristics.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »

I think it would be if you consider the Great Plains part of the broader Midwest.  The Texas High Plains (Amarillo) have a certain similarity to places like Wichita or Omaha.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 10:09:25 AM »

Like parts of OK, the Texas panhandle has some connections/similarities to the Midwest, particularly to Kansas City. You can see this in, for example, Colin Woodward's American Nations map.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 07:35:48 PM »

Missouri is the most divided: The easternmost western state, westernmost eastern state, southernmost northern state, and northernmost southern state.

Which shows that it is shameful that MO is not a swing state.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 10:03:22 PM »

Which shows that it is shameful that MO is not a swing state.

It was...

Unfortunately, rural Missourians love populism just a bit too much. Of both the left and right varieties. We're probably the only state that would ever vote R for President by 19 points and then vote to repeal a right-to-work law and raise the minimum wage to $12 by even bigger margins two years later.

If Bernie had been the 2016 nominee, this state would have been a battle royale. The combination of his economic populism + generally not talking too much about "culture war" issues made him do very well in rural areas in the 2016 primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies