Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:37:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat  (Read 10829 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »
« edited: May 30, 2020, 09:18:48 PM by NewYorkExpress »

It's a shame Hillary's taken...

Anyways...It's time for me to see if I can do an election game without using pictures at all.

Is Barack Obama a Senator in this Timeline? If so, I'd like to play as Obama.

EDIT: I am such an idiot. I didn't see that Obama is indeed a Senator in this TL. I would like to play as  Obama.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »

Barack Obama Announcement Speech, Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois, February 6, 2007

I know what the insiders in Washington are saying about why I shouldn't run for President. That I'm too inexperienced, that an African-American man with the middle name Hussein isn't going to win voters in Iowa, and Ohio. But I know I can I prove them wrong. I know this, because I believe in the Audacity of Hope, just as I always have.

It's been almost one hundred years since the Cubs won the World Series. The fans here have never stopped hoping that they would win the biggest prize in baseball. In the same way, I, and many people like me have never stopped hoping and believing that one day a person of color would be elected to the White House. Maybe it'll be me. Maybe it'll be someone else. But I believe if I don't run, that hope may die.

Some of you may ask about my political views. While I see myself as to the left of President Gore, there is good reason for that. He is from Tennessee, a more conservative state. I am from Illinois, a more progressive state. It's a different mindset. That said, there's a lot he and I agree on. We both believe in implementing the Kyoto Protocol and strengthening it, and we both believe in not going on disastrous foreign policy adventures like the Republicans want to.

I'm Barack Obama, I'm running to be the next President of the United States, and I'll see you next November!  
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »

For Obama's "free" endorsement, I'd like Representative John Lewis (D-GA).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 10:28:40 PM »

Donald J. Trump Announcement Speech

January 17th, 2007

Trump Tower, Manhattan, New York City, New York

"Wow. A lot of people showed up here today. A whole lot of people came here to hear an announcement. It's so amazing to see each and every one of you coming out here to hear an announcement from me. It's very humbling, especially to someone like me and I'm honored to see the face of every person here. I can say one thing, there has been no crowd quite like this and there likely won't be one ever again. But, I have to say my announcement before I get far too off track.

Our country is in serious, serious trouble. We don't win anymore. We haven't had a real victory since the 1990s. When was the last time we got the upper hand over China or say Canada in a trade deal? It doesn't happen anymore. It doesn't happen, but I beat them all the time, all the time. When was our last victory over Japan? Don't get me wrong, beautiful country and amazing, absolutely wonderful people, but we don't win against them anymore. We import their cars by the millions while our companies cannot open up in their markets.

When do we best Mexico at the border? We have the laxest border security in the world. The globe, it's laughing at us because of how pathetically weak our border restrictions are. and now, we are losing to Mexico economically despite what President Gore or several others might say. They are not our friend, Believe me. The United States is now the trash bin for every problem the world has. If a nation finds a problem, they toss it towards us and expects us to deal with both the problem and the aftermath of it while they go off Scott free. That can't happen any longer, that isn't what America should be seen as.

It is time for some major change in this country as we stand on the precipice. As we slowly reach our limits at the border, I hear border patrols saying that while there are good people, there are also bad people too. These bad people look to abuse our current border situation at the detriment of American citizens everywhere. This isn't just coming from Mexico either. It's coming from all across South and Latin America and from other parts of the world that are far less fortunate than us. We used to be able to handle this, but we don't know how anymore. Our political leaders are completely and utterly incompetent and we have no idea how to handle a situation like this one.

And then we look at the Middle East, where we see dictators such as Saddam Hussein of Iraq or Muammar Gaddafi of Libya doing horrible things to their people. What they do, it doesn't make these men human, they are animals, monsters, rabid dogs who must be taught that America will not let transgressions against human rights be left unchecked. However, the Gore administration has all but ignored the issue for other, in my opinion, less important things. That is just my opinion. I don't support invading them or the like, no, I don't want to risk any of the lives of our beautiful volunteers in the armed service unless absolutely necessary. Instead, should these dictators continue to commit human rights violations, there will be harsh consequences.

And now we go back to the United States. Here, our unemployment in the double digits, Indeed they are. Do not trust any other number. Don't believe it. The reason for such a high number is because we are losing our jobs and quickly. We're losing them to China, we're losing them to Mexico, we're losing them everywhere. They have jobs themselves but not us. As we get weaker, our enemies grow stronger and become more emboldened. As our influence wanes, the Russian Bear looms over the horizon ready to snap at us once again.

And then we have another idea, President Gore's healthcare plan that he is sending to Congress. I highly recommend that Congress does not approve of this legislation until it is either properly fixed or the American people can decide what they want in it by voting for the President in November.

It's clear this country needs somebody, not a politician, as they have failed us so many times in the past before. If another politician is elected, the same thing as the last 16 years will be done. Neither party is different and both are ruled by the political elite who think they're better than you. There are some people from both parties that I am personal friends with and some of them are considering running for President and to each and every one of them, I wish them the best of luck. However, they aren't talking about what I'm talking about, folks. No they aren't. They don't tell it like it is. I do, however.

And so, with all this in mind and with the knowledge that I have the support of all of you behind me, I am officially running for President of the United States of America and I pledge to Make America Great Again, not as a Republican, or a Democrat, of which both have failed us many times, but instead as an Independent, for the sake of the American People!
"

[Loud cheering is heard along with people chanting Trump over and over. This continues for two minutes before Trump signals for it all to quiet down]

"However, I think we all know this road will be long and rather difficult and I have decided that, in order to be honest with each and every person in the United States, I will announce my running mate right from the start of the campaign. He is a proud man and has served this country for over twenty years before announcing his retirement from the military a few months ago when I first contacted him and discussed a potential presidential campaign. He's been completely on board ever since I told him and has become a close friend of mine. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you the great retired Lieutenant General, Micheal T. Flynn."

Flynn takes the stage from Trump while shaking his hand as the Audience cheers and applauds them. Trump and his family stands beside him as he begins to speak

"Indeed, what you just heard was correct. I, Micheal T. Flynn of Rhode Island, am now the official running mate to Mr. Donald J. Trump. On practically everything, Mr. Trump has been consistent and he's been saying the right thing over and over again. The Gore and Clinton administrations have been too weak on too many fronts and so was the Bush administration and so now, we must focus on healing the damage done. Both the Republican and Democratic Parties have failed and while I doubt Perot could've done much better with a congress opposed to him at every turn, he was correct in his predictions, especially with a Giant Sucking Sound going south in '92. I admit, I myself am a registered Democrat and voted for the Democrat for several years before recently, but this shows that Mr. Trump doesn't care about political backgrounds or old party affiliation, he cares about getting the job done. As President, he'll work to unite both parties together and bring a common sense of unity to the nation. Together, when elected, Mr. Trump and I will Make America Great Again!"

Businessman Donald John Trump Sr. (I-NY)/Retired Lieutenant General Micheal Thomas Flynn (I-RI)
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Following Mr. Trump's announcement speech, the Trump/Flynn ticket set up a campaign by opening offices and headquarters in New York, California, Florida, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. The Media Mogul begins to recruit a massive volunteer force with all the cash he has on hand at the time while he also spends time at several fundraisers to raise his war chest in the case its needed. He knows that his messages will resonate the best in the rust belt and the South and decides that, instead of elsewhere, those two regions and California and New York is where he'll spend most of his campaign going for. With over a year until the first Presidential Debate arrives in September or October of 2008, Trump hopes to reach at least 15% in national polling at that point in time to arrive on the debate stage. However, his main campaign is using the internet to his advantage, with the creation of a Youtube Channel, Twitter Account, and several other Social Media accounts to gain a closer connection to his supporters. it is hoped the outreach will give Trump a major boost in the months to come.

I just hate to be a total nitpicker, but are you sure you want General Flynn as your running mate? It's a rather horrible look to have an active duty general on the ticket, for any candidate, in my opinion.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »

Agreed, also Twitter isn't nearly as big in 2007.

Yeah, but Trump (and Obama) would be the two people in the race to actually be using it at this point.

I might try to craft some Obama tweets later, if I feel like it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »

Yeah, we need a ruling on whether Flynn actually did retire.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:48:46 PM »

John Lewis, at Centennial Park, Atlanta, Georgia, February 7, 2007

So, first off, I want to address the speculation brewing that I will be running for President. That isn't true, and I don't where that is coming from.

Now, Senator Obama announced he is running yesterday. To me, he is the embodiment of the hope African-Americans have long been denied. I mean, did anyone pay attention to his Senate campaign? As such, I am proud to endorse Barack Obama for President of the United States, and I will do anything to get him elected.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 11:57:59 PM »

Liberman for President Announcement[/i]

Welcome everyone! I am so glad to stand in front of you on this very, very, nice day. The last eight years, have been some of the best in U.S. history, with increases in jobs, GDP, and overall happiness of the average American. Under the leadership of our great president, Al Gore, we have managed to make America a much better place. This leadership must continue in order to keep America as a welcoming place for all. We can only achieve this through working together and working side-by-side to get things done.

After much consideration, I have decided that I will be running for President of the United States, to preserve the success of this country that President Gore has worked on. However, I have thought about what party's nomination I will be seeking no party's nomination for President. Instead, I will be running as an Independent for president. I feel as if the Democratic Party has moved away from the values that I hold, and instead have moved toward more radical and progressive values. At the same time, I feel that the Republican Party is too far to the right and regressive. I am not binding to any party, and instead binding to the people's will.

This marks a continued progress for America, and in this campaign, we are running on the message of by the People and for the People. We stand united as a people, fighting for the rights of all people and working together to accomplish things that all of us can get behind. Together, we will achieve and together, we will win! God bless you all and God bless America!

I know Lieberman was an Independent OTL at this point...but there's no way a Vice President Lieberman would run as an Independent.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 12:02:47 AM »

Can we get a GM ruling on the plausibility of Lieberman running as an Independent in this scenario? I honestly don't think it's realistic at all, given he's Vice President.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 12:26:52 AM »

Can we get a GM ruling on the plausibility of Lieberman running as an Independent in this scenario? I honestly don't think it's realistic at all, given he's Vice President.

Yeah, same. This should've cleared up because not only would Lieberman not run as an Independent, but the precedent wouldn't be there. No vp president has ever became independent when running.

This

It's not really a question, Joe Liberman can't be an Independent.

Also, can we agree 'well, he did' is the weakest argument ever?

Agreed.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 12:39:30 AM »

Lieberman will be running as a Democrat.

Thank you for fixing that. You might want to go back and edit your announcement speech, for continuity purposes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »

The Elephant in the Room

Ernie Fletcher would be faced with a minor dilemma in a bid for the Presidency. For at least the beginning portion of the campaign, he would have to balance a re-election campaign with a Presidential campaign. Though he's the easy favorite for another term, thanks to an expected Republican wave, he will still have to fend off mildly challenging competitors to hold the Governor's mansion. Ernie Fletcher would run for President in all but name by February 2007, publicly announcing an exploratory committee and expressing interest in national media interviews, though shying away from any actual announcement. He would garner endorsements, donors, fundraising and staff in preparation for a run, as well as making appearances with conservative groups and at conferences, but he would publicly express the need to "put Kentucky first" before "national ambitions." He would use the Governor's race to his advantage, using the extra media coverage to advance his profile as a staunch social conservative, hoping to become a national darling of the Religious Right over the course of his Governor's campaign without doing much national campaigning.

Honestly, in this scenario it would make more sense for Fletcher to not run for reelection. Sure, he might win, but it's possible he'd draw a primary challenge from another Republican who's upset about his blatant run for President (Rand Paul for example comes to mind here.).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »

The Elephant in the Room

Ernie Fletcher would be faced with a minor dilemma in a bid for the Presidency. For at least the beginning portion of the campaign, he would have to balance a re-election campaign with a Presidential campaign. Though he's the easy favorite for another term, thanks to an expected Republican wave, he will still have to fend off mildly challenging competitors to hold the Governor's mansion. Ernie Fletcher would run for President in all but name by February 2007, publicly announcing an exploratory committee and expressing interest in national media interviews, though shying away from any actual announcement. He would garner endorsements, donors, fundraising and staff in preparation for a run, as well as making appearances with conservative groups and at conferences, but he would publicly express the need to "put Kentucky first" before "national ambitions." He would use the Governor's race to his advantage, using the extra media coverage to advance his profile as a staunch social conservative, hoping to become a national darling of the Religious Right over the course of his Governor's campaign without doing much national campaigning.

Honestly, in this scenario it would make more sense for Fletcher to not run for reelection. Sure, he might win, but it's possible he'd draw a primary challenge from another Republican who's upset about his blatant run for President (Rand Paul for example comes to mind here.).

It's a little awkward, but previous candidates have made appearances in Iowa and New Hampshire during their own separate campaigns. Bobby Jindal is also gonna have to run for re-election, and I believe George Allen also made appearances in Iowa and New Hampshire during his 2006 Senate campaign, so it's not unprecedented to campaign for President and Governor. The GM told me Ernie will win re-election regardless.

Fair enough. I would point out that Allen lost reelection in 2006 OTL, but if one or both GM's told you that Fletcher will win anyways, I guess I really can't complain much further.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »

The Elephant in the Room

It's a little awkward, but previous candidates have made appearances in Iowa and New Hampshire during their own separate campaigns. Bobby Jindal is also gonna have to run for re-election, and I believe George Allen also made appearances in Iowa and New Hampshire during his 2006 Senate campaign, so it's not unprecedented to campaign for President and Governor. The GM told me Ernie will win re-election regardless.

Fair enough. I would point out that Allen lost reelection in 2006 OTL, but if one or both GM's told you that Fletcher will win anyways, I guess I really can't complain much further.

Allen losing in 2006 wasn't the fault of him campaigning in New Hampshire in 2006, he had some accidental choice words with a tracker from the web campaign.

It probably didn't help Allen's chances for reelection that he was seen as an obvious Presidential candidate...but you are correct.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »

My very early prediction for the Democratic Primary.

Red is Obama, Green is Clinton, Blue is Lieberman, Gray is Daschle, Yellow is Schweitzer, and Dark Yellow is Feingold.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 12:37:22 AM »

Actually I'm gonna have to drop out of this, I don't think I can commit to running a good candidacy. Sorry for the inconvenience Sad

I'd be happy to help with moderating though.

Darn. I was looking forward to some really fun general election attack ads too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 02:04:10 PM »

Did the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster still happen? I kind of need to know.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 03:34:38 PM »

Could we get polling numbers for both primaries? I want to see if I'll have enough credits to be able to ask for an endorsement ( I have someone in mind, but I need a credit to ask for him)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »

I'll take Barbara Lee. Also, can my first endorsement be Jim Clyburn?

Darn it, I was hoping for both Lee and Clyburn as my first two in-game endorsements.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »

Could I reserve the endorsements of Patty Judge (who, assuming things didn't drastically change in this timeline is currently Lieutenant Governor of Iowa) and Gavin Newsom (who again, barring a drastic timeline shakeup, is currently mayor of San Francisco)?

I don't think either would cost me any credits, but correct me if I am wrong.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »

Could I reserve the endorsements of Patty Judge (who, assuming things didn't drastically change in this timeline is currently Lieutenant Governor of Iowa) and Gavin Newsom (who again, barring a drastic timeline shakeup, is currently mayor of San Francisco)?

I don't think either would cost me any credits, but correct me if I am wrong.

Each of them would be 1 credit. You can reserve them, though. Culver lost to Nussle in '06, though, so Judge is only the former IA Ag Secretary.

Fine by me (though I admit I probably won't have the credits to actually spend until around the same time as the Iowa caucuses...)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 03:34:42 AM »

Will the same thing with Michigan and Florida happen? and if not what changes which allows them to keep all of their delegates because due to my knowledge they were stripped of their delegates because they jumped ahead of the schedule.

Is Howard Dean not the DNC Chairman? Or did he have a change of heart?

I think the question about Michigan and Florida was already answered. I would have been in favor of a compromise involving them having half of their delegates, for the record.

I assume the DNC Chairman is Terry McAuliffe, or someone else with ties to Cilntonworld (though Dean being DNC chair wouldn't be a bad thing either.)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »

For the record, my schedule as Obama was done as of this morning (assuming I don't have to do November too.)

I might use the remaining seven days from this point to add stuff for Michelle to do, but other than that, I am done.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 11:13:41 AM »

I voted five debates in the poll, but really, my answer is one debate for each per turn the nomination is contested.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 05:35:35 PM »

Any chance we could get polls for both parties primaries/caucuses in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, Michigan and Florida?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies