Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:22:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore: A 2008 Election Game by Aaron and Dat  (Read 10747 times)
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:46:32 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2020, 11:05:27 AM by Cabbage »

(all images courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

October 2, 2000
Boston, Massachusetts

Vice President Al Gore was not a man particularly prone to emotion; no one could really question that. He was cool, calculating, rational...and a damn bore and a half.

"All right, Mr. Vice President, I think you're doing pretty good, but we need to do two things."

"And what are those?" Gore honestly seemed confused. Mind, that was part of his problem.

"First, ease back on the Medicare lockbox. Old people without Alzheimer's don't need it repeated eighteen times, and those that do can talk to their friends in the nursing home if they need help remembering it."

Gore nodded. "All right, what's the other?"

Here Tom Downey, a former Congressman and aide to the Gore campaign, sighed. This was the one he was dreading.

"Could you come off as a little more...down to earth?"

"Ok, how so?"

"Well, the sighing thing...I'm sorry, Mr. Vice President, but you look like a smug a**hole when you do that. I'm aware Bush is an idiot of cosmic proportions, but he's also a popular idiot of cosmic proportions. So when you huff and sigh like 'Really, you're going to vote for this damn fool?', it hurts you a lot more than it hurts Bush. Plus, it really stings if he comes out with something bordering on intelligent."

Gore looked at his aide in surprise. He'd never thought of it that way, evidently. Then he nodded.

"All right, Tom. We'll give it a try."

October 4, 2000
New York City, New York

BUSH GETS GORED!

Vice President Gore put paid to Governor Bush in last night's debate, sweeping aside the Republican nominee with humor and even a little emotion, a surprise from a man who's been viewed in the past as a rational, unemotional, almost robotic debater...

November 7, 2000
CNN Headquarters, New York City

"Good evening. I'm Bernard Shaw, and we at CNN can now project that Vice President Gore has carried Florida, Missouri, and his home state of Tennessee. This, of course, puts Gore over 270 electoral votes, which means he has been elected the 43rd President of the United States..."

Key Events of the Gore Presidency

January 20, 2001: Al Gore is sworn in as the 43rd President, and Joe Lieberman as the 46th Vice President. Governor Rowland appoints failed Congressional candidate Bob Simmons to Lieberman's seat, but Simmons is defeated by Ned Lamont in a special election later that year.

July 10, 2001: Upon reading a CIA dossier confirming an imminent terrorist attack by al-Qaeda on US soil, President Gore moves quickly to arrest all known conspirators in the United States. In the end, the only hijacker who successfully boards a plane on September 11 of that same year is knocked senseless by a fellow passenger.

March 23, 2002: EPA Administrator Ralph Nader stands by as President Gore signs the National Environmental Protection and Carbon Emission Reduction Act, which orders American companies to cut their carbon emissions by half by 2015, and to completely cease carbon emissions by 2035. Automobile companies will also receive stimulus for producing environmentally friendly vehicles.

November 5, 2002: The 2002 midterms are held; the Democrats expand their margin in the Senate, but lose control of the House.

June 26, 2003: 2000 Vice Presidential nominee Dick Cheney announces his campaign on a platform of a "more active stance" on global terrorism; his slogan is "Don't Let Them Come to Us."

January 19, 2004: Cheney wins the Iowa Republican caucuses decisively, cementing himself as the Republican frontrunner.

January 27, 2004: Cheney wins the New Hampshire Republican primary handily; Senator John McCain, the main opposition to Cheney within the party, suspends his campaign, but will not endorse "a warmonger" in the general election.

July 26-29, 2004: Dick Cheney is officially nominated by the Republican Party for President in 2004. He selects Ohio Governor Bob Taft to be his running mate.

August 30 - September 2, 2004: President Gore and Vice President Lieberman are renominated.

September 30, 2004: President Gore brings up the potential turmoil that could be caused by Cheney's foreign policy plan, stating "if we want to stir up the Middle East, ensuring terrorist cells will have thousands of young recruits every year for the next century, then we should go with your plan." Cheney's campaign never recovers.

November 2, 2004: President Gore is re-elected, 325 electoral votes to 213.

Late August 2005: President Gore works tirelessly to respond to Hurricane Katrina. He is lauded for his efforts domestically and abroad.

March 26, 2006: President Gore officially repeals Don't Ask, Don't Tell, sparking celebration from the LGBT+ community and outrage from social conservatives.

September 23, 2006: President Gore proposes a healthcare plan similar to OTL Obamacare; as of the start of this game, it has yet to see a floor vote in either chamber.

November 7, 2006: The 2006 midterms are held; Democrats maintain a 51-48 majority in the Senate (52-48 including Independent Senator Bernie Sanders), while Republicans hold the House, 228-207.

February 1, 2007: Rampant speculation breaks out about who will succeed President Gore. Democrats are confident due to Gore's accomplishments, while Republicans believe that, after 16 years of Democratic rule, people are ready for a change.

Welcome all to Blood, Sweat, and Gore, a 2008 election game hosted by Aaron and I!

The current schedule is tentative, but I'm thinking signups will go until June 10, with gameplay starting on the 2nd or 3rd. The game will have four phases:

1) Early campaign (Feb. 1 - Nov. 1, 2007 in-game)

Largely a period to set up your campaigns and work to gain traction; there will be two debates for each party, and all player candidates will be invited. Schedules will be expected, but do not need to be extensive. Announcements are not required, but are encouraged (and may result in an early polling bump).

2) Late pre-primary campaign (Nov. 1, 2007 - Jan. 2, 2008 in-game)

Each week will be a month-long turn, with a debate in the December turn for all remaining candidates. Schedules expected. Failure to post a schedule at all during this phase (not every turn, just in general) will be considered a dropout.

3) Primaries (Jan. 3 - Aug. 31, 2020 in-game)

Primaries will be held every few days; this will probably be the most intensive part of the campaign until the run-up to the general election. Having only succeeded in getting outright nominees ahead of the conventions last time by circumstances outside my control, I make no promises of as much this time.

4) General Election (Sep. 1, 2008 - Election Day in game)

The final battle between the two nominees (and, quite possibly, the players now serving as their vice presidential nominees), and any independents or third party candidates who join, as well. September and October will be weeklong turns, with the last three days of the game being Nov. 1, 2, and Election Day, respectively.

Candidates may be chosen from the lists provided below or requested by PM if not listed.
(Note: Ridiculous and/or impossible candidates (i.e. FDR, Justin Bieber, or your creepy relative) can and will be rejected.) Real people preferable.

PM me or Aaron for endorsements, and the first polls will be posted on June 12, once everyone's in.

Endorsement system: credits awarded at 1 per week for every 5% a candidate attains in the polls.
1 credit: "minor" endorsement: US House or state legislator
2 credits: former: Cabinet officials, Senators, Governors
3 credits: sitting Senators and Governors (sitting Cabinet officials will not endorse in the primaries); political organizations (i.e. AFL-CIO, NRA, etc.)

Candidates will be allowed one free endorsement prior to the campaign starting; these endorsements are not bound by any factors except party and timeframe (i.e. if you're any Democrat and want Jimmy Carter, go for it; John Boehner or a still-alive Bobby Kennedy, not so much). Preferably not someone from the lists of candidates until signups close. Also, Democrats will not be allowed to receive the endorsement of President Gore in the primaries.

Ads will be limited to one per player per week to prevent overload until there are fewer than 10 candidates.

U.S. Cabinet, January 31, 2007

(Note: due to close House/Senate margins, Gore generally avoided appointing sitting legislators to the Cabinet)

Vice President: Joe Lieberman
Secretary of State: Lee H. Hamilton
Secretary of the Treasury: Joseph Stiglitz
Secretary of Defense: Colin Powell (retiring to run for President)
Attorney General: Janet Reno
Secretary of the Interior: Mark Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Dan Glickman
Secretary of Commerce: Daron Acemoglu
Secretary of Labor: Alexis Herman
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Jim McDermott
Secretary of Education: Richard Riley
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Bill de Blasio
Secretary of Transportation: Rodney Slater
Secretary of Energy: Wendell Berry
Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs: Dominic Certo
Secretary of Homeland Security: Norman Schwarzkopf (created in 2004, as al-Qaeda continued to have minor successes in terrorist attacks on the United States, and to plan another large-scale strike)
Chief of Staff: Donna Brazile
Administrator of the EPA: Ralph Nader
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: Jack Lew
Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy: Barry McCaffrey
United States Trade Representative: Charlene Barshefsky
Ambassador to the United Nations: Caroline Kennedy

Potential Candidates

Democratic
Tammy Baldwin, US Rep. from WI-02
Evan Bayh, US Senator from Indiana
Xavier Becerra, US Rep. from CA-31
Joe Biden, US Senator from Delaware
Phil Bredesen, Governor of Tennessee - West_Midlander
Maria Cantwell, US Senator from Washington
Hillary Clinton, US Senator from New York - AshtonShabazz
Kent Conrad, US Senator from North Dakota
Tom Daschle, Senate Majority Leader and US Senator from South Dakota - romanthaddeus007
Rosa DeLauro, US Rep. from CT-03
Chris Dodd, US Senator from Connecticut
Russ Feingold, US Senator from Wisconsin - RGM2609
Barney Frank, US Rep. from MA-04
Mike Gravel, former US Senator from Alaska - SlothbearXTB
Christine Gregoire, Governor of Washington
Jay Inslee, US Rep. from WA-01
Jesse Jackson, Jr., US Rep. from IL-02
John Kerry, US Senator from Massachusetts
Tony Knowles, US Senator from Alaska
Dennis Kucinich, US Rep. from OH-10
Mary Landrieu, US Senator from Louisiana
Brian Schweitzer, Governor of Montana - KaiserDave
Barbara Lee, US Rep. from CA-09 - raymundoflx
John Lewis, US Rep. from GA-05
Joe Lieberman, Vice President of the United States - atlas_epideli
Blanche Lincoln, US Senator from Arkansas - RogueThing
John Lynch, Governor of New Hampshire
Joe Manchin, Governor of West Virginia
Claire McCaskill, Governor of Missouri
Daniel Mongiardo, US Senator from Kentucky
Ralph Nader, Administrator of the EPA
Jerry Nadler, US Rep. from NY-08
Janet Napolitano, Governor of Arizona
Sam Nunn, former US Senator from Georgia - Ishan
Barack Obama, US Senator from Illinois - NewYorkExpress
Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico
Kathleen Sebelius, Governor of Kansas - Mycool
Tom Vilsack, former Governor of Iowa
Ron Wyden, US Senator from Oregon

Republican
Lamar Alexander, US Senator from Tennessee
George Allen, US Senator from Virginia - JacksonHitchcock
Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City - Balsanator03
Henry Bonilla, US Rep. from TX-23
Sam Brownback, US Senator from Kansas
Lincoln Chafee, US Senator from Rhode Island
Mike Crapo, US Senator from Idaho
Mitch Daniels, Governor of Indiana
Ernie Fletcher, Governor of Kentucky - adamevans
Jim Gilmore, former Governor of Virginia
Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York City
Lindsey Graham, US Senator from South Carolina
Melissa Hart, US Rep. from PA-04 - NyIndy
Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas
Duncan Hunter, US Rep. from CA-52
Jon Huntsman, Jr., Governor of Utah - Gorguf
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana - jakobisgood
Alan Keyes, activist from Maryland
Jerry Kilgore, Governor of Virginia
Steve King, US Rep. from IA-05
Linda Lingle, Governor of Hawaii
John McCain, US Senator from Arizona - Brother Jonathan
George Pataki, former Governor of New York - Evan H
Ron Paul, US Rep. from TX-14 - zoz

Tim Pawlenty, Governor of Minnesota
Mike Pence, US Rep. from IN-06
Sonny Perdue, Governor of Georgia
Colin Powell, former United States Secretary of Defense - GoTfan
Adam Putnam, US Rep. from FL-12 - NOTTYLER

Jodi Rell, Governor of Connecticut
Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts - David_terry
Mike Rounds, Governor of South Dakota
Paul Ryan, US Rep. from WI-01
Jeff Sessions, US Senator from Alabama
Gordon Smith, US Senator from Oregon
John Sununu, US Senator from New Hampshire
John Sweeney, US Rep. from NY-20
Tom Tancredo, US Rep. from CO-06
Fred Thompson, former US Senator from Tennessee
Tommy Thompson, former Governor of Wisconsin
John Thune, US Senator from South Dakota

Independent/Third Party
Donald J. Trump, businessman from New York - New Tennessean Politician
Others upon request

That said, don't forget the most important rule: have fun!
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »

If possible, could I get Former Representative Ron Paul of Texas running for the GOP Nomination?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »

If possible, could I get Former Representative Ron Paul of Texas running for the GOP Nomination?

Indeed you can; he's a sitting Representative, as well.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »

Not sure where I am supposed to sign up, but I'll take John McCain if he is still available.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 07:05:05 PM »

Looking forward to playing as the ultimate #populist Purple heart
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 07:14:15 PM »

Not sure where I am supposed to sign up, but I'll take John McCain if he is still available.

Right here; you're in
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »

Actually, can I change my pick to an Independent Candidacy of Businessman Donald J. Trump?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:33:51 PM »

Actually, can I change my pick to an Independent Candidacy of Businessman Donald J. Trump?

Indeed you can.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »

I'll take Hillary Clinton if she is available.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »

I'll take Hillary Clinton if she is available.

You got it.
Balsanator03
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 08:35:23 PM »

I'll take Mike Bloomberg if you dont mind
adamevans
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 08:48:37 PM »

I'll take a shot with Ernie Fletcher again.
RogueThing
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »

I would like to play as Blanch Lincoln, Senator from the Great State of Arkansas.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 08:53:18 PM »

Senator George Allen if I may
atlas_epideli
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »

I would like to be Joe Lieberman, if you will, please.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 09:18:48 PM by NewYorkExpress »

It's a shame Hillary's taken...

Anyways...It's time for me to see if I can do an election game without using pictures at all.

Is Barack Obama a Senator in this Timeline? If so, I'd like to play as Obama.

EDIT: I am such an idiot. I didn't see that Obama is indeed a Senator in this TL. I would like to play as  Obama.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 09:16:15 PM »

Donald J. Trump Announcement Speech

January 17th, 2007

Trump Tower, Manhattan, New York City, New York

"Wow. A lot of people showed up here today. A whole lot of people came here to hear an announcement. It's so amazing to see each and every one of you coming out here to hear an announcement from me. It's very humbling, especially to someone like me and I'm honored to see the face of every person here. I can say one thing, there has been no crowd quite like this and there likely won't be one ever again. But, I have to say my announcement before I get far too off track.

Our country is in serious, serious trouble. We don't win anymore. We haven't had a real victory since the 1990s. When was the last time we got the upper hand over China or say Canada in a trade deal? It doesn't happen anymore. It doesn't happen, but I beat them all the time, all the time. When was our last victory over Japan? Don't get me wrong, beautiful country and amazing, absolutely wonderful people, but we don't win against them anymore. We import their cars by the millions while our companies cannot open up in their markets.

When do we best Mexico at the border? We have the laxest border security in the world. The globe, it's laughing at us because of how pathetically weak our border restrictions are. and now, we are losing to Mexico economically despite what President Gore or several others might say. They are not our friend, Believe me. The United States is now the trash bin for every problem the world has. If a nation finds a problem, they toss it towards us and expects us to deal with both the problem and the aftermath of it while they go off Scott free. That can't happen any longer, that isn't what America should be seen as.

It is time for some major change in this country as we stand on the precipice. As we slowly reach our limits at the border, I hear border patrols saying that while there are good people, there are also bad people too. These bad people look to abuse our current border situation at the detriment of American citizens everywhere. This isn't just coming from Mexico either. It's coming from all across South and Latin America and from other parts of the world that are far less fortunate than us. We used to be able to handle this, but we don't know how anymore. Our political leaders are completely and utterly incompetent and we have no idea how to handle a situation like this one.

And then we look at the Middle East, where we see dictators such as Saddam Hussein of Iraq or Muammar Gaddafi of Libya doing horrible things to their people. What they do, it doesn't make these men human, they are animals, monsters, rabid dogs who must be taught that America will not let transgressions against human rights be left unchecked. However, the Gore administration has all but ignored the issue for other, in my opinion, less important things. That is just my opinion. I don't support invading them or the like, no, I don't want to risk any of the lives of our beautiful volunteers in the armed service unless absolutely necessary. Instead, should these dictators continue to commit human rights violations, there will be harsh consequences.

And now we go back to the United States. Here, our unemployment in the double digits, Indeed they are. Do not trust any other number. Don't believe it. The reason for such a high number is because we are losing our jobs and quickly. We're losing them to China, we're losing them to Mexico, we're losing them everywhere. They have jobs themselves but not us. As we get weaker, our enemies grow stronger and become more emboldened. As our influence wanes, the Russian Bear looms over the horizon ready to snap at us once again.

And then we have another idea, President Gore's healthcare plan that he is sending to Congress. I highly recommend that Congress does not approve of this legislation until it is either properly fixed or the American people can decide what they want in it by voting for the President in November.

It's clear this country needs somebody, not a politician, as they have failed us so many times in the past before. If another politician is elected, the same thing as the last 16 years will be done. Neither party is different and both are ruled by the political elite who think they're better than you. There are some people from both parties that I am personal friends with and some of them are considering running for President and to each and every one of them, I wish them the best of luck. However, they aren't talking about what I'm talking about, folks. No they aren't. They don't tell it like it is. I do, however.

And so, with all this in mind and with the knowledge that I have the support of all of you behind me, I am officially running for President of the United States of America and I pledge to Make America Great Again, not as a Republican, or a Democrat, of which both have failed us many times, but instead as an Independent, for the sake of the American People!
"

[Loud cheering is heard along with people chanting Trump over and over. This continues for two minutes before Trump signals for it all to quiet down]

"However, I think we all know this road will be long and rather difficult and I have decided that, in order to be honest with each and every person in the United States, I will announce my running mate right from the start of the campaign. He is a proud man and has served this country for over twenty years before announcing his retirement from the military a few months ago when I first contacted him and discussed a potential presidential campaign. He's been completely on board ever since I told him and has become a close friend of mine. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you the great retired Lieutenant General, Micheal T. Flynn."

Flynn takes the stage from Trump while shaking his hand as the Audience cheers and applauds them. Trump and his family stands beside him as he begins to speak

"Indeed, what you just heard was correct. I, Micheal T. Flynn of Rhode Island, am now the official running mate to Mr. Donald J. Trump. On practically everything, Mr. Trump has been consistent and he's been saying the right thing over and over again. The Gore and Clinton administrations have been too weak on too many fronts and so was the Bush administration and so now, we must focus on healing the damage done. Both the Republican and Democratic Parties have failed and while I doubt Perot could've done much better with a congress opposed to him at every turn, he was correct in his predictions, especially with a Giant Sucking Sound going south in '92. I admit, I myself am a registered Democrat and voted for the Democrat for several years before recently, but this shows that Mr. Trump doesn't care about political backgrounds or old party affiliation, he cares about getting the job done. As President, he'll work to unite both parties together and bring a common sense of unity to the nation. Together, when elected, Mr. Trump and I will Make America Great Again!"

Businessman Donald John Trump Sr. (I-NY)/Retired Lieutenant General Micheal Thomas Flynn (I-RI)
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Following Mr. Trump's announcement speech, the Trump/Flynn ticket set up a campaign by opening offices and headquarters in New York, California, Florida, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. The Media Mogul begins to recruit a massive volunteer force with all the cash he has on hand at the time while he also spends time at several fundraisers to raise his war chest in the case its needed. He knows that his messages will resonate the best in the rust belt and the South and decides that, instead of elsewhere, those two regions and California and New York is where he'll spend most of his campaign going for. With over a year until the first Presidential Debate arrives in September or October of 2008, Trump hopes to reach at least 15% in national polling at that point in time to arrive on the debate stage. However, his main campaign is using the internet to his advantage, with the creation of a Youtube Channel, Twitter Account, and several other Social Media accounts to gain a closer connection to his supporters. it is hoped the outreach will give Trump a major boost in the months to come.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:11 PM »

I would like to be Joe Lieberman, if you will, please.

I would like to play as Blanch Lincoln, Senator from the Great State of Arkansas.

I'll take a shot with Ernie Fletcher again.

I'll take Mike Bloomberg if you dont mind

It's a shame Hillary's taken...

Anyways...It's time for me to see if I can do an election game without using pictures at all.

Is Barack Obama a Senator in this Timeline? If so, I'd like to play as Obama.

If not, John Kerry would be my pick.

All granted. Obama is a Senator, so I'll put you down for him.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »

Are the Independent Candidates allowed to the Presidential Debates for the two major parties and what endorsements are we allowed in game? Can intra-party endorsements happen or are they prohibited here?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »

May I run as Colin Powell for the GOP?
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:22 PM »

Are the Independent Candidates allowed to the Presidential Debates for the two major parties and what endorsements are we allowed in game? Can intra-party endorsements happen or are they prohibited here?

As long as you're still playing by the general election, yes, you're invited to the debates. No interpartisan endorsements until the GE, but independents such as yourself can claim likeminded individuals within the parties, yes.
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »

May I run as Colin Powell for the GOP?

Indeed you can.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »

So many players within the first day but I'm the first one to post my announcement speech Tongue I can't wait to see everyone else's and respond in the classic Donald Trump fashion. To Cabbage/Aaron, if most layers have posted announcement speeches by June 1st, could we get the first polls as well as the Gameplay thread up and running?
RogueThing
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »

I would like the endorsement of Mark Pryor.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »

Barack Obama Announcement Speech, Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois, February 6, 2007

I know what the insiders in Washington are saying about why I shouldn't run for President. That I'm too inexperienced, that an African-American man with the middle name Hussein isn't going to win voters in Iowa, and Ohio. But I know I can I prove them wrong. I know this, because I believe in the Audacity of Hope, just as I always have.

It's been almost one hundred years since the Cubs won the World Series. The fans here have never stopped hoping that they would win the biggest prize in baseball. In the same way, I, and many people like me have never stopped hoping and believing that one day a person of color would be elected to the White House. Maybe it'll be me. Maybe it'll be someone else. But I believe if I don't run, that hope may die.

Some of you may ask about my political views. While I see myself as to the left of President Gore, there is good reason for that. He is from Tennessee, a more conservative state. I am from Illinois, a more progressive state. It's a different mindset. That said, there's a lot he and I agree on. We both believe in implementing the Kyoto Protocol and strengthening it, and we both believe in not going on disastrous foreign policy adventures like the Republicans want to.

I'm Barack Obama, I'm running to be the next President of the United States, and I'll see you next November!  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies