2024: Harris vs. Haley
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024: Harris vs. Haley
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2024: Harris vs. Haley  (Read 2222 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »

Fully agree. However, we need to say Kamala underperformed in her 2010 attorney general election. Yes, it was a Republican wave, but California is a deep blue state and this election should have been won by more than a single point. Jerry Brown destroyed Meg Whitman by 13 points and Gavin Newsom defeated an incumbent by double digits as well.

Not really the same situation. Cooley was an exceptionally strong candidate, the last Republican to run a competitive statewide race, and was considered a slight favorite for most of the race.
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 11:00:28 AM »

A woman with the birth name of Nimrata Randhawa is not winning the nomination.

If she got it through some shenanigans at the convention Harris would steam roll her. Lol at y’all thinking white men would turn out for Haley.

Racist.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »

I don't agree very often with the User Cory Booker BUT here I do.

Kamala Harris will never be President.

If anything the Democratic Party will be even more Progressive & Liberal after Biden meaning CA Governor Newsom would probably have the Inside Track for the 2024 D-Nomination. Harris doesn't fit into that Party.

Leading Contenders for D's will be Newsom, AOC, Cuomo among others.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2020, 03:23:53 PM »

If she got it through some shenanigans at the convention Harris would steam roll her. Lol at y’all thinking white men would turn out for Haley.

She managed to get elected in a conservative Southern state as a relatively unknown state rep who beat three better-known white men (a Congressman, the Lt Gov and the state AG) in the Republican primary. If she could succeed there, her ethnicity wouldn't really be an issue in a presidential primary.

You're leaving out the fact that she barely won a pretty solid red state during a Republican wave year in 2010.

Bad take. I don't like her, but she only almost lost because of the Sanford scandal.
Oh please. Most of the people that voted for Shaheen have not voted Dem since. I wonder why that is? And, no, her doing better in 2014 means nothing. They were skeptical of her b/c she was Indian and they worried she'd be anti american. But when she governed as a normal republican they warned up to her. Also, polarization was worse in 2014 then it was in 2010
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 04:02:21 PM »

In early 2019 (right after resigning from her post as UN Ambassador) , I would have said that Nikki Haley was a strong candidate, but I'm alot less certain now.  I don't trust the National Review/TPUSA/Daily Wire type conservatives to persuade voters to their side that aren't already GOP voters. 

2014 or 16 is one thing, but that type of candidate (which Haley represents) won't be successful in 2024, unless the DNC goes full bore squad/Labour, which simply isn't happening.  The movement conservatives/neocons from the 2010s are incapable of attracting new voters into the fold, and the vast majority of the suburban 4 year degree voters who flipped D aren't coming back.

Kamala Harris isn't a strong candidate, but the economy will recover to 2017-18 levels during a Biden/Harris administration, benefiting them.   Out of the Trump 16 states, Haley can afford to lose AZ, GA, and possibly trading MI for the NE states and possibly MN.  (I don't know how to change EV appropriations).
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 02:56:48 AM »

She managed to get elected in a conservative Southern state as a relatively unknown state rep who beat three better-known white men (a Congressman, the Lt Gov and the state AG) in the Republican primary. If she could succeed there, her ethnicity wouldn't really be an issue in a presidential primary.

You're leaving out the fact that she barely won a pretty solid red state during a Republican wave year in 2010.

Bad take. I don't like her, but she only almost lost because of the Sanford scandal.
Oh please. Most of the people that voted for Shaheen have not voted Dem since. I wonder why that is? And, no, her doing better in 2014 means nothing. They were skeptical of her b/c she was Indian and they worried she'd be anti american. But when she governed as a normal republican they warned up to her. Also, polarization was worse in 2014 then it was in 2010

She won 49% of the first round vote and 65% of the runoff vote in the primary against people who at the time had greater prominence than her in SC politics. In the same year, Tim Scott, who is African American, beat Strom Thurmond’s son 68-32 in the SC-1 primary. If being a minority wasn’t an issue in 2010!South Carolina then it wouldn’t be an issue in a 2024 nationwide GOP primary.

The fact that a there was a 5% swing against Haley in the general is irrelevant (we were talking about primaries remember???), and considering where the swings were most profound (The blackbelt and Charleston), “racist hicks” doesn’t really seem like the most probable reason.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 03:08:35 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2020, 03:26:20 AM by Wazza »

There’s no reason to think based on her past primary performances that Haley would have trouble regarding her background but of course the various mouth breathing hot take machines on this forum will find any excuse to spew their “muh racist hick” drivel.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 11:16:58 AM »

In early 2019 (right after resigning from her post as UN Ambassador) , I would have said that Nikki Haley was a strong candidate, but I'm alot less certain now.  I don't trust the National Review/TPUSA/Daily Wire type conservatives to persuade voters to their side that aren't already GOP voters. 

2014 or 16 is one thing, but that type of candidate (which Haley represents) won't be successful in 2024, unless the DNC goes full bore squad/Labour, which simply isn't happening.  The movement conservatives/neocons from the 2010s are incapable of attracting new voters into the fold, and the vast majority of the suburban 4 year degree voters who flipped D aren't coming back.

Kamala Harris isn't a strong candidate, but the economy will recover to 2017-18 levels during a Biden/Harris administration, benefiting them.   Out of the Trump 16 states, Haley can afford to lose AZ, GA, and possibly trading MI for the NE states and possibly MN.  (I don't know how to change EV appropriations).
I see it quite differently than you do. Resigning as UN Ambassador was the best Decision if not the best call by Haley. Now she cannot be associated with the Trump Impeachment, the Coronavirus Response and the Unrest around the Country.

Meanwhile Senators Rick Scott, Josh Hawley and Marco Rubio will have to be held accountable for the Votes they took in the Senate.

Haley will be in the spotlight soon enough so it's good she's keeping a low profile for now.

And if Trump loses in 2020 boring Mike Pence will be finished with him as well.

Haley is IMO the only person who has a remote chance of winning in 2024.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »

“HaLeY, HaWlEy, DeSaNtIS (and all other Republicans) dOnT HaVe ChArIsMa”

But y’all think Harris does? She literally was one of the most hyped candidates but had to drop out three months before the Iowa caucus. It would be a fight for the nomination for her even if she is the sitting Vice-President
pollvaulter
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2020, 01:21:50 AM by pollvaulter »

I don't see Haley connecting on much with the GOP base, which has become far more pro-worker than people realize. She's a bit too much of a party insider / corporate Republican in my estimation. Trump changed the trajectory of the GOP & I really can't see it reverting back to the insider types like Haley. She'd also be out of politics for quite some time by that point.

Thus, like it or hate it, this pro-worker, more isolationist / nationalist GOP is where we're heading since the Democrats refuse to be a pro-worker party. That's where we'll see convergence between the edges in both parties, because the Millennials really have become Russian Serfs. If you want to see where both parties are heading, watch the show Rising produced by The Hill on Youtube. Its clearly aimed at Millennials, and I think the two hosts best encapsulate where the two parties eventually will be, since more politicians will focus on how to win over Millennial voters.

Millennials want a pro-worker platform, not more platitudes & identity politics that serve to distract America away from the corporatism deep rooted in both parties today. The GOP is just further ahead of the Democrats on a more pro-worker future of governing, plus there are a lot of prominent Republicans in their 40s right now, very few younger prominent Democrats (at least ones who could win a national election, AOC would never win). I think the left screwed themselves by sandbagging Tulsi, who is a young, talented politician with a ton of crossover appeal to the right. She could win in 2024, but I doubt the Democrats will let her. Whoever can sell a pro-worker message the best will become president in 2024.

Don't sleep on Tucker Carlson either. While I don't think he'd run, he's immensely popular, and I know a lot of Bernie people who agree with him on many things. Tucker still works at Fox, but, he's the most anti-Fox of all the commentators, and I do think he believes the points he pushes on air. He often has a lot of the Bernie-wing left on his show, and not to debate but to highlight where they agree.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies