Halter drops out of AR Democratic Primary for Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:47:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Halter drops out of AR Democratic Primary for Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Halter drops out of AR Democratic Primary for Governor  (Read 1438 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0306/309211.html

Little Rock - A Democratic primary for governor is no longer necessary. Bill Halter has pulled out of the governor's race, and is now one of eight candidates for lieutenant governor. A lot of speculation has been circulating about why Bill Halter decided to drop out of the governor's race, but he says it's all about avoiding a negative campaign.

(Bill Halter, former gubernatorial candidate) "I have been told by people whose judgement I trust that if I want to win the Democratic nomination for governor that I must wage an attack-style campaign against Mike Beebe. That is not acceptable to me."

Bill Halter says a negative campaign would not allow the voters to hear the positive ideas. The campaign manager for Attorney General Mike Beebe, now the only Democratic candidate for governor, says Beebe’s camp was surprised by Halter's decision and appreciates his contributions to the race.

(Chris Masingill, Beebe Campaign Manager) "This campaign has been positive on both sides. Mr. Halter has been positive and brought ideas to the table, even helped elevate the debate and we're appreciative of that and Arkansans should appreciate should be as well. But it doesn't change our focus. There's a lot to be done and there's still a lot to be done."

As for the idea that Beebe's campaign had something to do with Halter's decision, Beebe's camp says that's absolute nonsense.

(Masengill) "General Beebe was surprised as everybody else was and we're staying focused on our campaign."

As it stands now, there will not be a Democratic or Republican gubernatorial primary. However, candidates have until April 4 to file.

Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:33:48 PM »

"General Beebe"?  Nice spin.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:18:20 PM »

Beebe's campaign has been fighting dirty.  My friends work on his campaign, even though I support Beebe, and they have told me numerous things about Beebe's primary campaign that are horrifying to hear.  His campaign planted a heckler in the audience of Halter's speech to my college, and my friend Molly somehow received an e-mail confirming this.  Nonetheless, I still support Beebe and am glad that Halter did, in fact, drop out, though I still won't support him.  I'm a Hathorne man, myself.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 11:48:43 PM »

GENERAL BEEBE WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:45:05 PM »

Good News.  This avoids a costly primary for the Arkansas Democratic Party, and clears the way for Beebe to do battle with Hutchinson.  Unless Huckabee gives a strong boost to the latter, I am predicting a Beebe victory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies