Trump announces US will remove Hong Kong's special status but wont withdraw from Phase 1 Deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 01:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump announces US will remove Hong Kong's special status but wont withdraw from Phase 1 Deal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump announces US will remove Hong Kong's special status but wont withdraw from Phase 1 Deal  (Read 548 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

He wont be ending the phase 1 deal though
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »

A big part of me yearns for decisive, forceful action on China (comes from heart/feeling, tbf). This measure — along with the others announced today — definitely doesn't feel like that, but it's still progress.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:03 PM »

A big part of me yearns for decisive, forceful action on China (comes from heart/feeling, tbf). This measure — along with the others announced today — definitely doesn't feel like that, but it's still progress.

Agreed
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »

Wuld a nuclear war be decisive enough? Because that's what's ging to happen if Trump stays in charge.
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »

Wuld a nuclear war be decisive enough? Because that's what's ging to happen if Trump stays in charge.
OK tankie
Higgins
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 08:54:40 PM »

Maybe not a nuclear war, but doing everything in our power to cripple, humiliate and hobble China back into the 19th century would be great.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »

Good, I wouldnt mind if Taiwan is taken over too
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »

OK tankie.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

First grammatically correct post you’ve made in 10 years and still somehow is the worst one.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »

China tells state firms to halt purchases of major U.S. farm products: sources
China has told state-owned firms to halt purchases of soybeans and pork from the United States, two people familiar with the matter said, after Washington said it would eliminate special treatment for Hong Kong to punish Beijing.

Large volume state purchases of U.S. corn and cotton have also been put on hold, one of the sources said.

It would see the PRC government are disinclined to let the coward Donald Trump both have his cake and eat it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »

China is trying to violate the 1997 agreement, they should make economic and diplomatic sanctions. Personally, I would favor to declare/recognize Hong Kong as sovereign.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 11:57:32 AM »

China is trying to violate the 1997 agreement, they should make economic and diplomatic sanctions. Personally, I would favor to declare/recognize Hong Kong as sovereign.
Hong Kong was never sovereign. The whole reason the 1997 agreement was needed was that most of Hong Kong was technically leased from China and the 99 year lease term was ending. What would be interesting would be an alternate history timeline in which the West and the PRC never enter a period of rapprochement and a 1997 agreement is instead negotiated and made with the ROC.

That said, if the PRC is going to treat Hong Kong as lacking any form of sovereign autonomy, then Hong Kong should be treated as a part of the PRC without any distinction.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »

China's ability to do whatever it wants, and then exert painful consequences for anyone that dares criticize their oppression is frankly scary and the fact that this could get even worse in the years to come is a frightening prospect. "Oh you don't like us locking up Muslims, so about all that money we invested in your university/business/debt, oh that's what I thought". 

That is what the power dynamic writ-large is going to be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies