Would you want your family member to be a police officer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:13:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Would you want your family member to be a police officer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes

No

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Would you want your family member to be a police officer?  (Read 613 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »

In light of all of this?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 12:36:55 AM »

My dad spent a few years as an Auxillary police officer, and I have a few friends who are police officers. I wouldn't really care much if they were ok with being poor.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »

I would love someone on the inside to help with any inside advantages, absolutely! Sadly, I do not know any.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »

Anyone who chooses to become a police officer now is seriously misguided at best.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »

No. All the cops I trust are fictional, and some of them aren't even real cops, and I intend to keep it that way.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:18 AM »

Anyone who chooses to become a police officer now is seriously misguided at best.

You don't get promoted to detective out of the private sector, buddy. Plus, pensions.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »

A lot of them on Instagram say that they do it to help others and to stop crime. What do you think?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »

You don't get promoted to detective out of the private sector, buddy. Plus, pensions.

Well there's the problem: the Fraternal Order of Serial Killers doesn't offer a pension. Nor does the Brotherhood of Puppy Kickers. Now, if they started offering pensions with an opportunity for career growth, certainly it would be morally okay to join those organizations.

A lot of them on Instagram say that they do it to help others and to stop crime. What do you think?

And a lot of murderers do it for the insurance money. Which makes it okay, of course.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »

Well there's the problem: the Fraternal Order of Serial Killers doesn't offer a pension. Nor does the Brotherhood of Puppy Kickers. Now, if they started offering pensions with an opportunity for career growth, certainly it would be morally okay to join those organizations.

Oh, bother.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »

Oh, bother.

I'm done with the "bad apples" argument. These aren't isolated incidents. These are pervasive issues. We know police are trained to use violence and we know they rarely face justice when they are videotaped committing crimes. I see a lot of people of color fighting for their lives during routine traffic stops and I see communities reeling for justice in the wake of ANOTHER senseless killing of an unarmed civilian who was not convicted of any crime. I see that as systemic. I see that as something I don't believe you enter without understand what you're getting into. It's possibly to enter with good intentions, but those good intentions sour when solidarity with fellow officers becomes more important than justice.

Sorry for the rant--I haven't posted lengthy thoughts on this on the forum, I've been getting them out elsewhere, but I'm going to say my piece because it's important for me to express what I'm feeling in a place where discourse is supposed to be welcome.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »

Oh, bother.

I'm done with the "bad apples" argument. These aren't isolated incidents. These are pervasive issues. We know police are trained to use violence and we know they rarely face justice when they are videotaped committing crimes. I see a lot of people of color fighting for their lives during routine traffic stops and I see communities reeling for justice in the wake of ANOTHER senseless killing of an unarmed civilian who was not convicted of any crime. I see that as systemic. I see that as something I don't believe you enter without understand what you're getting into. It's possibly to enter with good intentions, but those good intentions sour when solidarity with fellow officers becomes more important than justice.

Sorry for the rant--I haven't posted lengthy thoughts on this on the forum, I've been getting them out elsewhere, but I'm going to say my piece because it's important for me to express what I'm feeling in a place where discourse is supposed to be welcome.

A lot of cops are good people, they want to do their jobs effectively, but yes, there is a problem with police culture. Police culture needs to be REVAMPED. I don't care if they are blue-collar. They need to change their culture, completely.

Some well-known cops on Instagram say that the positives they do don't get reported:

officergarrow
Every time we lace up our boots
Every time we throw our vest over our shoulders
Every time we holster our gun
Every time we pin our badge onto our uniform
Every time we walk out of our homes and kiss our families goodbye
Every time we check en route to a call
We take on a responsibility that most will never understand. We take on stress that most will never endure. We see things that most could never imagine. We have to do things that we as people don’t wish on our worst enemies. We run towards as other run away. We show up in situations that others will hide from.
We are the POLICE. But we are also HUMAN. We are fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles, and aunts JUST LIKE YOU. We come from different backgrounds, ethnicities, income levels, and home life’s. We struggle, we make mistakes, we love, we endure, and we do our jobs just as others do theirs. Regardless of the hatred, the names, the doubt, the distrust, the irrational movements, we STILL lace up and do the best we can to protect the communities that we serve.
Being a Cop isn’t getting any easier, it gets harder by the day. We take on new responsibilities consistently that have nothing to do with “the law”. But we learn and push forward with pride in what we do.
Less than 1% of cops tarnish the badge, the other 99% do GREAT things every single shift, never get a complaint, pay for people’s food or rent, play basketball with children, pick people up when life just knocked them to the ground, hug family members as they mourn, and give their sweat, blood and tears to serve the people. So instead of looking at the 1% and dwelling on them, let’s give thanks to the 99% that sacrifice every day to make this world a better place!
Thank you to all the good cops out there who lace up every day and genuinely want what’s best for their community and the media driven society that we live in

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_yIrLDNOi/
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 04:39:59 PM by dead0man »

Oh, bother.

who was the last cop who did the bad things who didn't get in trouble for it?  I was under the impression that the last half dozen or so examples we saw in the national media were all fired and sent prison (or are on their way there).  I don't remember any recent "bad cop" stories where the cop(s) didn't in trouble.  Also, there are many tens or hundreds of thousands of interactions everyday with cops and poor Americans, often minorities, every day and they very rarely go south.

edit-anyway, I would not suggest anyone who doesn't want to be a cop to be a cop.  But if someone I loved wanted to be a cop (and for the right reasons) I would be 100% supportive while also pointing out the obvious difficulties with the job.  I would suggest the military for certain types of young adults at least or the peace corps for other types....but my go to for young adults not sure what to do is always trade school.  Pick a good field and you'll do just fine in life.  You don't have to love your job, most don't, so pick one you won't hate that pays decent and do it.  You'll have plenty of free time to pursue your passions.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »

A fed, sure.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 12:05:26 AM »

Yes,

Then I would not have to pay parking fines or speeding tickets.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 01:31:04 AM »

One of my cousins is a police officer in Vienna.

Do I want her to continue with the job ?

Yes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 05:40:09 AM »

Not now, since being a patrol cop isnt what used to be handing out tickets, in this day and age, armed combat, like military, is what it takes to be an officer, and you or your partner can be left alone, while the calvary has to respond to Pandemic medical responses and you may take a bullet to head, not where the vest is.

That's why cops are being more aggressive, in addition to the fact of threat of being furloughed,  cops want to be at the top of their game, from being let go.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 05:34:02 AM »

It is not the ideal job I'd want a relative to have as there are many better jobs; but it's also not the worst job in the world either.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 01:36:48 AM »

Two of them are. They are wonderful people.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies