MI Gov 2022- Does Gretchen Whitmer win re-election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:43:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI Gov 2022- Does Gretchen Whitmer win re-election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MI Gov 2022- Does Gretchen Whitmer win re-election?  (Read 2402 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:36:27 PM »

I say she wins in a Trumo midterm but probably loses in a Biden midterm. She's very polarizing.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »

Lean D in a Trump midterm, tossup in a Biden midterm. A strong Republican should be able to beat her in a Biden midterm, although the GOP bench in the state is rather weak.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:48:22 AM »

Lean D in a Trump midterm, tossup in a Biden midterm. A strong Republican should be able to beat her in a Biden midterm, although the GOP bench in the state is rather weak.

I'd disagree with you on the state bench being weak, Upton challenging Whitmer wouldn't be too far out there and he represents a pretty pivotal county in SW Michigan (Kalamazoo) and he has a strong amount of support in the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Portage metro area. The Speaker of the State House is a non-starter likely though, since he had a brief run-in with law enforcement when trying to bring a loaded gun onto an Airplane it's actually really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0hBHv_i9Y
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 01:14:40 AM »

Likely D in a Trump Midterm, Lean R in a Biden Midterm (though other than Amash, I'm having trouble figuring out what "Republican" will run.)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 02:31:08 AM »

Difficult to tell at this early stage, but I think Whitmer and Evers are going to be the most vulnerable Democratic incumbents in 2022. Toss-up/Tilt R in a Biden midterm.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:47 AM »

Difficult to tell at this early stage, but I think Whitmer and Evers are going to be the most vulnerable Democratic incumbents in 2022. Toss-up/Tilt R in a Biden midterm.

Eh, I'd put it at Lean R, same as Evers in 2022 if Biden wins.

The only Democrat more vulnerable in that scenario (who wouldn't be term-limited) would probably be Laura Kelly.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »

The Lt. Governor of Michigan is 6'8 this has nothing to do with her reelection but Garlin Gilchrist is huge
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:31 PM »

I'd say Candice Miller is the most likely nominee tbh. Shes almost 70, so if she has any desire to ascend to higher office, its 2022 or never
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »

I'd say Candice Miller is the most likely nominee tbh. Shes almost 70, so if she has any desire to ascend to higher office, its 2022 or never

I doubt she wants it tbh. If she wanted a higher office she would have run by now or stayed in her house seat.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:36 PM »

I doubt she wants it tbh. If she wanted a higher office she would have run by now or stayed in her house seat.

I am 100% certain her only goal is to go around and defeat Democratic incumbents who have held their seats for decades.

She defeated Richard H. Austin for Michigan Secretary of State in 1994, he had held the office for 24 years.

She defeated David Bonior the House Minority Whip, he had been the Majority whip and been in Congress for 25 years.

In 1984 when she beat  Adam Nowakowski to be Macomb County Treasurer she was the first Republican elected in the county in 60 years.

Finally, in 2016, she defeated Anthony Marrocco who had been the Chairman of the Macomb County Public Works Commissioner for 24 years.

To follow the trend she needs to beat Stabenow in 2024 now haha.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 04:43:24 AM »

I am 100% certain her only goal is to go around and defeat Democratic incumbents who have held their seats for decades.

She defeated Richard H. Austin for Michigan Secretary of State in 1994, he had held the office for 24 years.

She defeated David Bonior the House Minority Whip, he had been the Majority whip and been in Congress for 25 years.

In 1984 when she beat  Adam Nowakowski to be Macomb County Treasurer she was the first Republican elected in the county in 60 years.

Finally, in 2016, she defeated Anthony Marrocco who had been the Chairman of the Macomb County Public Works Commissioner for 24 years.

Miller didn't defeat Bonior in an election; 2000s redistricting made MI-10 even more Republican (Bush 1992 and W Bush 2000 both won the 90s iteration of MI-10), so Bonior ejected himself into the 2002 gubernatorial primary and lost to Granholm, at least sparing himself the humiliation of a member of House leadership being defeated in an election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 04:53:37 AM »

Lean Democratic. Gretchen Whitmer is a skillful and charismatic politcian who will run as an incumbent. I think she's favored even in a Biden midterm. I think Uncle Joe won't suffer from a backlask like Bubba in 1994 and Obama in 2010 if he becomes president. And Michigan is still a blue-leaning state.

More interesting is how Governor Gilchrist would perform if Whitmer were to become vice president.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 05:44:27 AM »

No they wont both of them arent anywhere where Trump is in his approval rating, Evers has a 53% and Whitmee at 66%
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 08:08:50 AM »

Likely D. The covidiots are a very loud minority throwing an even louder temper tantrum. Her approval rating is currently 72% with 65% of independents approving of her handling of the Coronavirus.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »

Laura Kelly probably should be added to the list, even if she is popular at the time. If he were to run for reelection, Ned Lamont is another contender who may vulnerable after all.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »

Miller didn't defeat Bonior in an election; 2000s redistricting made MI-10 even more Republican (Bush 1992 and W Bush 2000 both won the 90s iteration of MI-10), so Bonior ejected himself into the 2002 gubernatorial primary and lost to Granholm, at least sparing himself the humiliation of a member of House leadership being defeated in an election.

My mistake thanks for the clarification
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »

Thought I'd jump in to say, since I've seen her mentioned a few times, that the conservative/moderate schism in the KSGOP makes Laura Kelly actually pretty safe. In 2018 she won by 5 points, overperforming nearly every poll, and that was with an independent candidate (Greg Orman) taking 6.5% of the vote. Without him, she probably could have won by 8 points or more. Kobach has a "Trumpian" base - an extremely high floor and extremely low ceiling.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 12:04:52 AM »

If she maintains an approval rating which is significantly above water by mid-to-late 2022, then she will probably win reelection.

If her approval rating is significantly underwater by that point, then she's probably toast.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

Whitmer will probably win re-election either way. If Trump wins re-election the seat will be likely Democrat and she will win easily. If Biden wins (which is more likely at this point): Whitmer still probably would be able to win re-election but it would be lean Democrat and fairly close.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 12:53:26 AM »

I'm inclined to say yes, her virus handling is quite popular, and gubernatorial elections tend to be a referendum on the incumbent. Plus the MI-GOP bench isn't exactly enticing. John James (assuming he loses in November, as is widely expected) would basically be a perennial candidate, at that point.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 04:06:21 AM »

I'm inclined to say yes, her virus handling is quite popular, and gubernatorial elections tend to be a referendum on the incumbent. Plus the MI-GOP bench isn't exactly enticing. John James (assuming he loses in November, as is widely expected) would basically be a perennial candidate, at that point.

As I've said before the Michigan GOP bench isn't bad, I think there are plenty of Republicans who could make a serious run for the Governor's mansion in 2022, the Speaker of the State House Lee Chatfield, Fred Upton (MI-6), Brian Calley who served as Lt. Gov for Rick Snyder, and a slew of other state legislators along with, Kid Rock
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 06:44:04 AM »

As I've said before the Michigan GOP bench isn't bad, I think there are plenty of Republicans who could make a serious run for the Governor's mansion in 2022, the Speaker of the State House Lee Chatfield, Fred Upton (MI-6), Brian Calley who served as Lt. Gov for Rick Snyder, and a slew of other state legislators along with, Kid Rock
I can imagine the TV ads.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 06:54:30 AM »

It's going to be a toss up
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »

Probably
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 12:03:13 PM »

Lean Democratic. Gretchen Whitmer is a skillful and charismatic politcian who will run as an incumbent. I think she's favored even in a Biden midterm. I think Uncle Joe won't suffer from a backlask like Bubba in 1994 and Obama in 2010 if he becomes president. And Michigan is still a blue-leaning state.

More interesting is how Governor Gilchrist would perform if Whitmer were to become vice president.

Wishful thinking!

I am going to make a Bold Prediction that uncharismatic Biden will lose even more Seats in the Senate, Governor, House and Legislatures around the Country if he becomes President.

Michigan is Tilt to Lean R in a Biden Midterm.

Republicans will get Michigan, Wisconsin and Kansas back.

And how is Whitmer a skillful Politician. She has done crap after crap after crap trying to sabotage the Michigan Economy with her actions.

I wish John James wouldn't have challenged Peters! Instead he should have waited two years and then run for Governor.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies