Vermont Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 12:16:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Vermont Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: Vermont Megathread  (Read 38489 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2021, 09:42:05 AM »

Numbers are from July to October but Morning Consult has Scott at 79% approval. Highest in the country. I think we can say he's the most popular in the country.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2021, 09:43:44 AM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2021, 10:12:26 AM by Skill and Chance »

If Scott really wants the senate seat, there will never be a better time to try.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »

If Scott really wants the senate seat, there will never be a better time to try.

I agree with you, but the key part is highlighted. He is not at all interested.
Coolface’s actual roommate
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2021, 11:04:54 PM »

Phil Scott is a RINO traitor
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »

Yes, trying to get POC's vaccinated is really a terrible sin.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2021, 11:17:04 PM »

No, Trying to get them vaccinated AHEAD of all others is a sin

It might not be that great, but is it really a sin? Native Americans have been discriminated against for all of history (even now they're pretty much confined to reservations in OK, NM, the Dakotas and WI), and blacks were enslaved. It's not really a big deal if they get first priviledge as long as whites also got access to vaccines soon thereafter (and they did). Certainly does not make him a 'traitor,' particularly in light of all the other great actions he's taken as governor.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2021, 11:17:46 PM »

May I ask why you elected to bring up this shocking transgression from last April now?
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2021, 11:18:52 PM »

It might not be that great, but is it really a sin? Native Americans have been discriminated against for all of history (even now they're pretty much confined to reservations in OK, NM, the Dakotas and WI), and blacks were enslaved. It's not really a big deal if they get first priviledge as long as whites also got access to vaccines soon thereafter (and they did). Certainly does not make him a 'traitor,' particularly in light of all the other great actions he's taken as governor.

BuT wHAt AbOUt SlAVerYiEzZY??!!

Discrimination was wrong then and it is wrong now.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #359 on: December 08, 2021, 11:22:42 PM »

You don't need to tell me that. I oppose reparations and affirmative action. But I don't see how waiting an extra month or so is really that big a deal. If they don't have enough vaccines for everyone, then white people can wait for a bit longer, as long as it's not that much longer (it wasn't). I agree that discrimination should be kept to a minimum in all circumstances. I was worried invoking slavery would provoke this reaction from you.
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2021, 11:23:44 PM »

You don't need to tell me that. I oppose reparations and affirmative action. But I don't see how waiting an extra month or so is really that big a deal. If they don't have enough vaccines for everyone, then white people can wait for a bit longer, as long as it's not that much longer (it wasn't). I agree that discrimination should be kept to a minimum in all circumstances. I was worried invoking slavery would provoke this reaction from you.
Fine, but you must be just as forceful against this as anyone who says whites should get first priority.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2021, 11:27:04 PM »

Fine, but you must be just as forceful against this as anyone who says whites should get first priority.

I usually am. But if I have to choose between whites and nonwhites getting first priority, I'll pick nonwhites proudly; they've been discriminated against in the past and while I know that doesn't excuse discrimination today, it does mean that if some group has to be 'discriminated' against (which, in this case, had to happen, depending on what you call 'discrimination'), it should be white people, not nonwhites. I think we can agree on that, and if we can't, you are not worth my time.
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #362 on: December 08, 2021, 11:28:46 PM »

I usually am. But if I have to choose between whites and nonwhites getting first priority, I'll pick nonwhites proudly; they've been discriminated against in the past and while I know that doesn't excuse discrimination today, it does mean that if some group has to be 'discriminated' against (which, in this case, had to happen, depending on what you call 'discrimination'), it should be white people, not nonwhites. I think we can agree on that.
But you don’t need to choose. Just give it out to whoever gets there first.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #363 on: December 08, 2021, 11:31:07 PM »

I usually am. But if I have to choose between whites and nonwhites getting first priority, I'll pick nonwhites proudly; they've been discriminated against in the past and while I know that doesn't excuse discrimination today, it does mean that if some group has to be 'discriminated' against (which, in this case, had to happen, depending on what you call 'discrimination'), it should be white people, not nonwhites. I think we can agree on that.

True, though as I said, it's such a minor thing, it's just a gesture and will not seriously harm the white community. It would be different if whites weren't offered vaccines for the next 3 or 4 months and only POCs were - but that's not what happened. You don't need to be bitter about it 8 months after the fact in any event, since whether or not you are white, you've had more than enough opportunity to get vaccinated.
pearlplate
Rookie
United States

« Reply #364 on: December 08, 2021, 11:33:15 PM »

True, though as I said, it's such a minor thing, it's just a gesture and will not seriously harm the white community. It would be different if whites weren't offered vaccines for the next 3 or 4 months and only POCs were - but that's not what happened. You don't need to be bitter about it 8 months after the fact in any event, since whether or not you are white, you've had more than enough opportunity to get vaccinated.
I did get vaccinated, but I will always speak out against any injustice. Because no matter how small it may seem, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #365 on: December 08, 2021, 11:37:24 PM »

No reason a state as great as Vermont should have a right-wing Republican as their governor. Go Zuckerman!
You know literally nothing about VT politics if you believe Scott is 'right-wing Republican.' He's exactly as right wing as I am.

I did get vaccinated, but I will always speak out against any injustice. Because no matter how small it may seem, injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

I like that quote, but it's misused here, since like I said, what happened should hardly be considered an 'injustice' to anyone. Affirmative action and reparations, on the other hand...
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #366 on: December 09, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »

No reason a state as great as Vermont should have a right-wing Republican as their governor. Go Zuckerman!
You know literally nothing about VT politics if you believe Scott is 'right-wing Republican.' He's exactly as right wing as I am.

You're certainly correct about that, but my "right-wing republican" comment is like a year and a half old. But I'm not afraid to admit when I was wrong. Really, Scott is a Democrat in all but name and has actually done a very good job as governor. If I lived in Vermont, I'd have to vote against him on principle, but he's a good guy and the only good Republican in the country.
Duke of York

« Reply #367 on: December 09, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »

Has Scott officially said he's running?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »

You're certainly correct about that, but my "right-wing republican" comment is like a year and a half old. But I'm not afraid to admit when I was wrong. Really, Scott is a Democrat in all but name and has actually done a very good job as governor. If I lived in Vermont, I'd have to vote against him on principle, but he's a good guy and the only good Republican in the country.

Fair enough. I think somewhere in this thread itself, there was a poll showing Scott was more popular among Democrats than he was among Independents/Republicans.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #369 on: December 09, 2021, 12:21:39 PM »

I'm thrilled to see you've come around. Mwahahahhaa.

I admit I was far too hackish back in 2019, some of it was tongue and cheek, some of it was very stupid. I have become more critical of Scott since then, but remain a big supporter.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #370 on: December 09, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »

I admit I was far too hackish back in 2019, some of it was tongue and cheek, some of it was very stupid. I have become more critical of Scott since then, but remain a big supporter.

As per usual, you were right.

Of course, my dislike of Scott was pure hackishness as well. Even at the time, I knew I was being unreasonable, but dug in anyway since he had an (R) next to his name. If he was a Democrat, maybe I would have been an even bigger Phil stan than you.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »

As per usual, you were right.

Of course, my dislike of Scott was pure hackishness as well. Even at the time, I knew I was being unreasonable, but dug in anyway since he had an (R) next to his name. If he was a Democrat, maybe I would have been an even bigger Phil stan than you.

Hold yer horses! Ahahhahahhaa. Happy we're on the same page now, apologies if I was at all rude. I cringe a bit reading my posts.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #372 on: December 23, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »

Burlington's police cuts have been enough of a disaster to attract national coverage:

Other cities with similar profiles — majority-white college towns — “defunded” their police. Norman, Oklahoma, diverted 4 percent of the police budget to community services. Northampton, Massachusetts, cut 10 percent from the police budget.

Burlington, however, decided to slash almost 30 percent of its police force by attrition. Since then, city leaders have been forced to reckon with the unintended consequences of that decision, including problems with public safety and quality of life, police and residents say.

[...]

The unintended consequences appeared quickly. Slashing the police force through attrition, which some councilors assumed would take years, instead took months.

Police officers began to leave in droves. Before defunding, Burlington averaged about 95 effective, or active-duty, police officers. Today, the department hovers around 64. Often only five officers are available to patrol at night, said Murad, the police chief. Overtime costs have soared.

Not named in this article, but deserving of infamy: Chittenden County State's Attorney Sarah George. Would love to see a national outfit that still does investigative reporting look into her role in these trends and some of the most disturbing incidents over this past year, like the hammer attack in the downtown parking garage.

I know you intended this to be a nail in the coffin for “defund the police” but you left out

”We can’t defund without refunding. The whole point is to fund something else,” [Councillor] Hightower said. “And we didn’t do anything for a very long time.”

… Councilor Zoraya Hightower, a member of the Progressive Party, introduced the resolution to defund the Burlington Police Department.

If anything it’s an indictment against the city council trying to use defund for a cheap political point and not following up on the actual point of it
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2021, 11:19:12 AM »

Out of curiosity, what are you now critical of Scott on?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »

Great news. I feel like I'd rather vote for Phil than a statist like Newsom.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies