Riots in Los Angeles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:47:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Riots in Los Angeles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Riots in Los Angeles  (Read 3272 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:01 PM »

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:27 PM »

Looks like unrest is contagious.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »

Protest, not riot.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:05 PM »

They shut down a huge portion of freeway near downtown Los Angeles.
They finally left the freeway, but are marching down various large avenues, disrupting traffic everywhere they go.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »

✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽✊🏼✊🏻
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 09:27:20 PM »

Fixed.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »

When you feel like your country has failed you and the institutions meant to protect you are against you, why wouldn't you riot?

I don't condone looting or violence, but I'm a white guy who has no idea what black and brown people are going through.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:31:19 PM »

When you smash a police window, it’s a riot.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »

When you feel like your country has failed you and the institutions meant to protect you are against you, why wouldn't you riot?

I don't condone looting or violence, but I'm a white guy who has no idea what black and brown people are going through.

It's an issue of setting the narrative. BLM protests are routinely labeled as "riots" because of institutional racism.  Similar protests or even ones that are more violent but not carried out by minorities are still called protests rather than getting relabeled as riots.

This is a protest. If they were running around town setting fire to things and  generally causing destruction, that would be a riot.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »

It's an issue of setting the narrative. BLM protests are routinely labeled as "riots" because of institutional racism.  Similar protests or even ones that are more violent but not carried out by minorities are still called protests rather than getting relabeled as riots.

This is a protest. If they were running around town setting fire to things and  generally causing destruction, that would be a riot.
smashing police car windows and jumping on the hood of them is not a protest that is a riot:
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 09:52:55 PM »

Yeah I know, I just named it so it would bring out more people’s true beliefs.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »

This was going on right outside my window and I have to say I'm in strong support.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »

Police: *murders dozens of Black people with impunity*
America: this is fine Smiley nothing to see here Smiley
Black people: *mildly damage a police car*
America: OH WOW THIS IS SERIOUS FOLKS
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »

Except plenty of conservatives have called for the officers to be investigated and arrested. Your argument is a complete misrepresentation of the other side.
And it’s also looting and not social distancing (which as you all know, is a big no-no for me)
It’s not a peaceful protest if you intentionally destroy property/possessions.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:58 AM »

The logic of this is that it’s okay to attack police and destroy cars because someone who may or may not be the same race as the LA police officer did a bad thing 2000 miles away?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 12:24:32 AM »

The logic of this is that it’s okay to attack police and destroy cars because someone who may or may not be the same race as the LA police officer did a bad thing 2000 miles away?
There is such a thing as a spillover effect, in which one event is needed to overwhelm the whole pressure-stopgaps from what has been done in the past. LA has a police brutality and accountability problem, we live in an interconnected nation from social media, there was a violent and undeniable case of police brutality pushing the people of LA who have had enough to conduct themselves this way.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 12:55:08 AM »

Except plenty of conservatives have called for the officers to be investigated and arrested. Your argument is a complete misrepresentation of the other side.
And it’s also looting and not social distancing (which as you all know, is a big no-no for me)

Protests aren't required to be peaceful.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 01:28:07 AM »

* Y A W N *

Wake me up when they start trashing white neighborhoods.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 01:29:23 AM »

I liked the original series in 1965, but the remake in 1992 was a bit over-the-top. Not sure if a third time is the charm.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 01:46:47 AM »

They are if you want your protest to be taken seriously.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »

Taken seriously by who? Smashing a car window with a skateboard is less violent than waving Confederate flags and carrying around assault weapons if you ask me.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 02:03:16 AM »

Taken seriously by who? Smashing a car window with a skateboard is less violent than waving Confederate flags and carrying around assault weapons if you ask me.

Quote from: First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Carrying a Confederate flag is covered under the first amendment right to free speech.

If you live in an open carry state, there is nothing wrong with carrying around a gun as long as you aren't physically harming people, making credible threats, and damaging property. Heck, if people wanted to carry guns to protest against police brutality, I have no issues with this.

I bolded and underlined the important part of the first amendment for you. No one has the right to damage property to "protest". This isn't hard to figure out. Your opinion is irrelevant. 
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 02:10:18 AM »

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Carrying a Confederate flag is covered under the first amendment right to free speech.

If you live in an open carry state, there is nothing wrong with carrying around a gun as long as you aren't physically harming people, making credible threats, and damaging property. Heck, if people wanted to carry guns to protest against police brutality, I have no issues with this.

I bolded and underlined the important part of the first amendment for you. No one has the right to damage property to "protest". This isn't hard to figure out. Your opinion is irrelevant. 

What does any of that have to do with being taken seriously? Scientology is protected by the first amendment; I'm not going to take Scientology seriously.

Throwing a skateboard at a tempered glass window with no passengers is less violent than marching around with loaded weapons or running someone over with a car.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 02:12:30 AM »

Protests are fine, but must be done in a safe manner.
I do not support damaging property or violence.
Stopping traffic can be dangerous not only to the pedestrian protesters, but for the people driving the car and/or other vehicles around them.
For example, earlier this crowd stopped an entire freeway. If cars were to suddenly stop and swerve, some innocent people or family in the vehicles could be killed in a high-speed (freeway) accident.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:59 AM »

What does any of that have to do with being taken seriously? Scientology is protected by the first amendment; I'm not going to take Scientology seriously.

Throwing a skateboard at a tempered glass window with no passengers is less violent than marching around with loaded weapons or running someone over with a car.

Not once have I defended running over anyone with a car. If you had any reading comprehension skills, you'd have understood that from my post.

No one has the right to damage property or people in a protest. Simply carrying a loaded weapon is doing none of those things, and I would support protesters against police brutality doing that if they chose to do so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies