S.20.2-15: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:19:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-15: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-15: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act (Debating)  (Read 783 times)
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2020, 02:40:39 AM »
« edited: June 15, 2020, 03:33:41 AM by Southern Speaker Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

Quote from: Local Electoral Calendar Act
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 2 (Electoral calendar for state and local elections)
i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of the South shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3
i. No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen an envelope prominently labeled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Sponsor: Governor MB (D/L - PR)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »

Introduced this, copied from the Fremont bill so we have a framework for Lumine's NCP simulated elections. Hope this passes quickly.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »

Introduced this, copied from the Fremont bill so we have a framework for Lumine's NCP simulated elections. Hope this passes quickly.

Looks good to me.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »

Thank you Governor for your prompt advocacy for this bill. I'm glad to see some Southern Laborites are pulling their weight.

Amendments Key
Additions | removals

Quote from: Potential amendments to the "Local Electoral Calendar Act"
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with southern regional parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act."

i. Hereafter, all officers of the states (or territories) and municipalities of the South shall serve terms of six months commencing on the first Monday following their election.
ii. All regular state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be on the ultimate Saturday of the month in which they are given by the laws of those states (or territories) to proceed.
iii. The filing deadline for all state (or territorial) and municipal elections in the South shall be thirty days before the election.

Section 3
i. No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen registered voter an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »

Thank you for introducing this, gentlemen!

There is one thing which is absolutely indispensable, and that's for the region to select a voting system for this bill (FPTP, PR, STV, etc.), which is what I need to make the simulation. I need to know how the Governors and State Legislatures are being elected.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:08:35 AM »

In light of the input from the Pontifex Maximus, I have added further to the potential amendments. This has the benefit of standardising unless the Pontifex Maximus wants to have a little play with a particular state or municipality for RP reasons.

Amendments Key
Additions | removals

Quote from: Potential amendments to the "Local Electoral [color=red
Calendar[/color] Standardisation Act"]
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with southern regional parliamentary terms

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act."

Section 3
i. No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every non-apparent citizen registered voter an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Section 4 (Voting Systems)
i. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal legislatures will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise at the state (or territorial) or municipal level.
ii. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal executives will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise by the states (or territorial) or municipal level.

Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:00:03 AM »

Amendments Key
Additions | removals

Quote from: Potential amendments to the "Local Electoral Standardisation Act"
AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

Section 3

i. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal legislatures will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise at the state (or territorial) or municipal level.
ii. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal executives will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise by the states (or territorial) or municipal level.

As there have been no comments if there are no objections in 24 hours this will be the working version of the bill. If there is an objection voting on these amendments will start at that time. Proxies will be accepted.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 04:58:43 AM »

I motion for a final vote. 24hours for objections.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 01:40:34 PM »

I know y'all don't like it when foreigners post in your threads, but since it appears the text of this bill is directly lifted from one we passed in Frémont, I just though I'd point out that §3 is an amendment to an earlier bill establishing universal vote by mail. Since I assume the South does not have a similar statute, you're probably going to want to fix that. (Also, "non-apparent citizen" means NPCs. If you say "registered voters" you are requiring Peebs to mail a printed-out ballot to Atlas posters at their RL addresses.)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:00 AM »

I object.

Debate will continue.

I know y'all don't like it when foreigners post in your threads...
I was not aware that Fremont didn't consider itself a part of Atlasia.

...but since it appears the text of this bill is directly lifted from one we passed in Frémont, I just though I'd point out that §3 is an amendment to an earlier bill establishing universal vote by mail.
Indeed this is an issue with lifting unedited bills from elsewhere.

Since I assume the South does not have a similar statute, you're probably going to want to fix that. (Also, "non-apparent citizen" means NPCs. If you say "registered voters" you are requiring Peebs to mail a printed-out ballot to Atlas posters at their RL addresses.)
I don't agree that with your interpretation. However this is food for thought for the whole chamber and of course the Governor. I would like to hear the Southern AG's interpretation. I believe it might just be easier to remove that part entirely. Maybe some of the delegates would like to also provide some input to this bill?

I thank the First Minister of Fremont for his input. Considering the lack of debate on this important matter, and that no other delegate has said a word since the amendments. This is actually useful for the discussion of this bill. On behalf of the Chamber I would like to apologise to the Pontifex Maximus for the further delays in getting this important bill passed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »

I'll go into extra detail after an update, but I'll be taking on a small leave of absence for a few days. Elections would happen on the last Saturday of the month and myself I find it ideal to have roughly two weeks for campaigning (at least for this first round), so if there wasn't more debate I think it would be good to see this bill passed during the week. Happy to hold off until July if there's sustantive debate and if the region needs time to develop it's own system, but I thought I might as well point it out.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »

Bump?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »

As debate has ceased, I'd motion for a final vote. Objections shall be made within 24 hours.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:08 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2020, 08:22:32 AM by Southern Speaker Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

As debate has ceased, I'd motion for a final vote. Objections shall be made within 24 hours.

I object!

It seems that no one wants to comment on the issues raised with this bill by the First Minister of Fremont. As it seems no one else is willing to actually comment, or contribute from any side of the political aisle with regards to this. I am putting forward the following amendment.

Quote from: Amendments to the "Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act."
AN ACT
to bring state and local elections in line with southern regional terms

Section 1 (Title)

Section 3 (Postal Voting)
i. Registered voters (Atlasian's Citizens [both players and NPCs] of the Southern Region deemed eligible to vote) in the Southern Region may apply for a postal ballot no later than two weeks before the relevant election/s. People who meet the parameters will be sent by the relevant Southern Electoral body, an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS." No sooner than thirty days before the election, and no later than fifteen days before, the ministry of elections will send to every registered voter an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

ii. The voting system for state (or territorial) and municipal executives will be the same as the Southern Regional system. Unless decided otherwise by the states (or territorial) or municipal level

If there are no objections in 24 hours this will be the working version of the bill. If there is an objection voting on these amendments will start at that time. Proxies will be accepted.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 03:26:32 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2020, 08:23:57 AM by Southern Speaker Muad'dib (OSR MSR) »

I would once again apologize to the Pontifex Maximus on behalf of the chamber for the further delays in getting this legislation passed. I trust the lack of comment other than the "Bump?", means you are satisfied with the mechanisms within the legislation for your role as Pontifex Maximus.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 07:32:12 AM »

I motion for a final vote 24 hours for objections.

This is now the working version of the Bill:
Quote from: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act
AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. Registered voters (Atlasian's Citizens [both players and NPCs] of the Southern Region deemed eligible to vote) in the Southern Region may apply for a postal ballot no later than two weeks before the relevant election/s. People who meet the parameters will be sent by the relevant Southern Electoral body, an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 04:44:35 PM »

The vote has opened for 48 hours.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 06:09:52 PM »

aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »

Aye
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »

This bill passes. The vote shall remain open until all delegates have voted. Thank you.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 10:09:57 PM »

Aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 09:34:40 PM »

As our great speaker is standing for election in our republic, I shall close this vote.

The bill thereby passes 4-0. It will be sent to the Governor for his signature.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 10:04:06 PM »

As our great speaker is standing for election in our republic, I shall close this vote.

The bill thereby passes 4-0. It will be sent to the Governor for his signature.

Final Vote Count:
[ 4 ] Aye
[ 0 ] Nay
[ 0 ] Abstain
[ 1 ] Absent
(PragmaticPopulist)

Quote from: Southern State and Local Electoral Calendar Act
AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)

i. Registered voters (Atlasian's Citizens [both players and NPCs] of the Southern Region deemed eligible to vote) in the Southern Region may apply for a postal ballot no later than two weeks before the relevant election/s. People who meet the parameters will be sent by the relevant Southern Electoral body, an envelope prominently labelled: "CONTAINS ELECTION MATERIALS."

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies