Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:29:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46993 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »

Two things:

Firstly, how does a bunch of nasty little yobs running riot and smashing up their city advance the cause of equal treatment for black people?

Secondly, any quote that’s been cropped out of context, embossed on a black background and situated next to a solemn looking photo has probably been used and abused to the point at which it’s not worth reading anyway.

1. Never said it does- the riots are counter-productive and stupid. Focusing on the riots as anything but the legitimate vent of frustrations of police brutality is ignoring the problem and obfuscating on the issue of police brutality.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »

Two things:

Firstly, how does a bunch of nasty little yobs running riot and smashing up their city advance the cause of equal treatment for black people?

Secondly, any quote that’s been cropped out of context, embossed on a black background and situated next to a solemn looking photo has probably been used and abused to the point at which it’s not worth reading anyway.

1. Never said it does- the riots are counter-productive and stupid. Focusing on the riots as anything but the legitimate vent of frustrations of police brutality is ignoring the problem and obfuscating on the issue of police brutality.

But you just they are counter productive and stupid......

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »

Two things:

But you just they are counter productive and stupid......

yes? the riots are bad because they are counter-productive and stupid not because they’re riots in it of themselves
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to share this, but watching the reactions to the protesters really bother me. Mostly because it serves as a sort of touchstone for just how awful policing in this country has become.

We should be horrified at a mob of angry citizens burning down a police station. I should. We all all should. But we're not. Reactions on the left seem to range from open sympathy to pretty gentle criticism, much of it worried about how this might help Trump's campaign. There's probably open cheering somewhere, too, but I haven't seen it myself, yet. Meanwhile, the right's response is transparent glee at getting some broadly acceptable ammunition for their race and culture war. And we all know full well (because of the evidence of recent history) that if this was being done by white guys with guns in milita or western drag, they'd be the ones cheering or maybe tut-tutting about means while agreeing with the sentiment.

These reactions are a terrible indictment of American policing as an institution. It has failed. And I see absolutely practical path for how we fix it, for how we get from where we are now, to where the police (and the justice system) get out of the deep hole they're in (and which they helped to dig).

Honestly, I echo your thoughts here and felt the exact same about last night's events.

It's perfectly fair to be upset at last night's looting and rioting, but what is property worth in comparison to a man's life that was taken for no reason by the very people who should be among the most trusted by the community? That should be infinitely more outrageous. That was the spark that ignited this powder keg, and I wish the anger was less understandable.

It also definitely puts the anti-lockdown protests in perspective too, as you alluded to, and how petty they look in comparison to communities of color feeling alienated by their own taxpayer funded police force. They're an even bigger joke than they were before.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »

Two things:

I mean, the second quote is a fair enough riposte to my second point, but as for the first there’s no evidence that many of the rioters give two hoots about police brutality. Treating these riots as some sort of legitimate response to one act of police brutality is foolishly condoning the worst kind of opportunistic criminality.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2020, 11:30:09 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 11:46:32 AM by lfromnj »

I think its clear we need to separate Rioters/Looters/Protestors

Protestors are just normal peaceful people during the day peacefully protesting the murder.

Rioters are stupid and counterproductive but at least most people can agree there is justified anger against a police building and even if it shouldn't be destroyed there is some logic to this act. This could also be considered a violent protest. We can call this the voice of the unheard if you wish(despite the fact that Floydd's gf doesn't want this) My main problem speaking with this group is that they likely started a fire which is just a horrible idea due to how it can spread across a city

Looters are just greedy aholes who should all be arrested . This group often has intersection with Rioters due to the fires possibly.

People should try to use these 3 terms with these definitions. It is not opportunistic to burn down a police building but it is, to loot a Target.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »

Question: does anyone know exactly what happened last night in Louisville? Did police fire on the protesters? Did someone else?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2020, 11:33:02 AM »

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to share this, but watching the reactions to the protesters really bother me. Mostly because it serves as a sort of touchstone for just how awful policing in this country has become.

We should be horrified at a mob of angry citizens burning down a police station. I should. We all all should. But we're not. Reactions on the left seem to range from open sympathy to pretty gentle criticism, much of it worried about how this might help Trump's campaign. There's probably open cheering somewhere, too, but I haven't seen it myself, yet. Meanwhile, the right's response is transparent glee at getting some broadly acceptable ammunition for their race and culture war. And we all know full well (because of the evidence of recent history) that if this was being done by white guys with guns in milita or western drag, they'd be the ones cheering or maybe tut-tutting about means while agreeing with the sentiment.

These reactions are a terrible indictment of American policing as an institution. It has failed. And I see absolutely practical path for how we fix it, for how we get from where we are now, to where the police (and the justice system) get out of the deep hole they're in (and which they helped to dig).

Honestly, I echo your thoughts here and felt the exact same about last night's events.

It's perfectly fair to be upset at last night's looting and rioting, but what is property worth in comparison to a man's life that was taken for no reason by the very people who should be among the most trusted by the community? That should be infinitely more outrageous. That was the spark that ignited this powder keg, and I wish the anger was less understandable.

It also definitely puts the anti-lockdown protests in perspective too, as you alluded to, and how petty they look in comparison to communities of color feeling alienated by their own taxpayer funded police force. They're an even bigger joke than they were before.

And I agree, these riots are backed by real and legitimate anger. We need progressive police reform now.

But the rioting and looting needs to stop in order to reform and reconstruction to begin. Heck affordable housing complexes and factories producing COVID-19 aid are burning.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »

Two things:

I mean, the second quote is a fair enough riposte to my second point, but as for the first there’s no evidence that many of the rioters give two hoots about police brutality. Treating these riots as some sort of legitimate response to one act of police brutality is foolishly condoning the worst kind of opportunistic criminality.
If anything, it's a combination of raw emotion, institutionalized racism in certain police departments (not ALL police departments), a cycle of poverty, and so on. I respect their mindset but these actions are just stupid and self-defeating. Professional antifa types (all of whom are purple haired -pansexual white kids) are a major factor in amping them up, as well as the media and racial arsonists like Al Sharpton.

Protestors are just normal peaceful people during the day peacefully protesting the murder.

Rioters are stupid and counterproductive but at least most people can agree there is justified anger against a police building and even if it shouldn't be destroyed there is some logic to this act. This could also be considered a violent protest

Looters are just greedy aholes who should all be arrested . This group often has intersection with Rioters due to the fires possibly.
I agree entirely with this post.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »

And for those of you saying that property destruction is pointless and just hurts your cause, I'd like this image to remind you of American history.

Are you saying Target should leave Minneapolis?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2020, 11:38:31 AM »

And for those of you saying that property destruction is pointless and just hurts your cause, I'd like this image to remind you of American history.

Are you saying Target should leave Minneapolis?
Ironically, I think the first Target store was in Minneapolis or Minnesota IIRC.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »

Why can't both be true?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »

Yeah....but these are too very very different levels of repression. It would be unfair to make a moral equivalence (though I do not think you are doing that necessarily).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »

Yeah....but these are too very very different levels of repression. It would be unfair to make a moral equivalence (though I do not think you are doing that necessarily).
It isn't a moral equivalence, you're absolutely right about that part.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #440 on: May 29, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »

That's a piss-poor excuse and you know it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #441 on: May 29, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »

So I'm of essentially two minds of this, but not in a contradictory fashion.

If on one hand you want to say that a pattern of abuse and institutionalized racism (presuming this hypothesis to be true) is both bad in and of itself and also (1) creates protests that (2) can degenerate into riots and/or can be taken advantage of to create riots by greedy third parties--then I agree with you and that means something needs to be fixed.

On the other hand, there is no reason for this argument to mean we should have some sort of perverted sympathy for people creating lawless situations that result in crimes well above and beyond property damage (rape, murder) to occur. Without having plumbed the depths of empirical evidence, I'm guessing that most of the (non-cop) human victims of this nonsense will probably be among the under-privileged. In the longer term, this is going to likely (a) have no effect, or (b) encourage the flight of capital from these areas, damaging long-term prospects for people in victimized communities. You can lay blame for that at the hands of social structure if you want, but that doesn't mean any particular rioter is in the "right".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #442 on: May 29, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »

Obama has spoken.

Statements like this just prove that whether you agree or disagree with him, Obama was always a class act at least. Certainly a contrast to our present guy who can't get past the notion of it's all about him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #443 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »

Rioters are stupid and counterproductive but at least most people can agree there is justified anger against a police building and even if it shouldn't be destroyed there is some logic to this act. This could also be considered a violent protest. We can call this the voice of the unheard if you wish(despite the fact that Floydd's gf doesn't want this) My main problem speaking with this group is that they likely started a fire which is just a horrible idea due to how it can spread across a city

People should try to use these 3 terms with these definitions. It is not opportunistic to burn down a police building but it is, to loot a Target.

A significant number of people, especially in the last two categories, jump between these classifications by the hour.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #444 on: May 29, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »

So I'm of essentially two minds of this, but not in a contradictory fashion.

If on one hand you want to say that a pattern of abuse and institutionalized racism (presuming this hypothesis to be true) is both bad in and of itself and also (1) creates protests that (2) can degenerate into riots and/or can be taken advantage of to create riots by greedy third parties--then I agree with you and that means something needs to be fixed.

On the other hand, there is no reason for this argument to mean we should have some sort of perverted sympathy for people creating lawless situations that result in crimes well above and beyond property damage (rape, murder) to occur. Without having plumbed the depths of empirical evidence, I'm guessing that most of the (non-cop) human victims of this nonsense will probably be among the under-privileged. In the longer term, this is going to likely (a) have no effect, or (b) encourage the flight of capital from these areas, damaging long-term prospects for people in victimized communities. You can lay blame for that at the hands of social structure if you want, but that doesn't mean any particular rioter is in the "right".

Eloquently put. It expresses my feelings as well. I don't know why it's so hard to find no contradiction saying what those cops did was wrong and saying burning down a Target is also wrong. Yes, people have a reason to be justifiably pissed off, but Burning Down the buildings doesn't help let alone excuse it.. Then again that ignores the fact that the number of people actually committing those kind of Acts of vandalism and arson are a tiny tiny minority among the people in those neighborhoods.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #445 on: May 29, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #446 on: May 29, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »

Why is CBP needed in the Twin Cities?

Landslide Lyndon