"The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading" - Politico (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:35:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  "The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading" - Politico (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading" - Politico  (Read 2137 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 26, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »

Most normal people are not going to risk their lives for frivolous things like shopping for clothes or going to restaurants or seeing movies, especially now that the internet allows you to do most of this stuff at home.

You have a lot more faith in “normal” people than I do lol. Unless there are literally bodies in the streets, people will go to all the places they can like normal. Especially the older demographics actually most vulnerable to the virus. Older Americans are the most likely group to act like nothing that happens in the media or outside world will actually effect them. You will never be able to stop the Boomers (especially Trump’s base) from (they they view as) their God given Right to go to the Cheesecake Factory and yell at the waitress.

I saw an elderly man in a mask in the supermarket a couple weeks ago. I thought about how many on this forum say how Biden is "surging with 65+".

The guy turns around and is decked out in Trump 2020 gear.

Just anecdotal, but don't be surprised if the Biden charm doesn't translate to older whites as much as people think.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:36:27 AM »

Quote from: Politico
Instead, [Furman] believes, the way to think about the current economic drop-off, at least in the first two phases, is more like what happens to a thriving economy during and after a natural disaster: a quick and steep decline in economic activity followed by a quick and steep rebound.

This isn't just a natural disaster. This is different. When a hurricane comes through, you'd feel just as comfortable going to Disney/Vegas/the movies as soon as they reopen. Looking at any kind of polling shows that consumer confidence is pretty f**king shot.

I agree that discretionary spending among the consumer will be down.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies