Granholm holds lead, but DeVos is gaining
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:27:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Granholm holds lead, but DeVos is gaining
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Granholm holds lead, but DeVos is gaining  (Read 1486 times)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »

Michigan Governor Race:

(D) Granholm 51% (53)

(R) DeVos 41% (36)

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/NEWS01/603100345/1001/news

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:57:40 PM »

With a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points in this poll and presumably the last poll as well, I see nothing here currently other than statistical noise.  If we get three more polls that all show DeVos getting closer, then I'll believe it.

Also, wasn't there a poll a while back that showed this race as completely tied?  I believe this proves we can throw that one away.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:59:34 PM »

Granholm is going to win, it's  just by how much my guess is 53% to 46%

also she get will most likely get at least 51% in Oakland

DeVos should run ads about the whole Detroit water rates when Granholm vetos the takeover bill.

this is by the crappy EPIC-MRA polling?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:19:16 PM »

As I remember with regards to Michigan polling, EPIC/MRA is the firm that tends to lean too Democratic and Mitchell Research is the firm that tends to lean too Republican.

Anyways, I still expect Granholm to win, but as I always say, in a bad economic times (which defines Michigan pretty well), strange things can happen.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix
E: 5.81, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:16:16 PM »

Granholm's losing her luster up here and isn't as popular in the state as she is nationally. She won her first race by 4%, closer than 2000 Bush. She was expected to win by 8 in the CLOSEST poll. Most predicted a blowout.

Her main base was state workers. She won the UP, where Bush won twice. She won big in the Alpena area as well. She won Ingham County with 60.95% compared to John Kerry's 57.78%She won GOP leaning Eaton County with 52.24% compared to Kerry's 45.58%. She took 46.32% in Clinton County compared to Kerry's 40.95% Granholm ticked off a lot of state workers.

Granholm and Kwame Kilpatrick (Detroit Mayor) aren't real happy with one another. She endored Freeman Hendrix in the mayor's race either explicitly, or implicitly. If Detroit doesn't turn out, the GOP wins. Detroit is 93.5% democrat year in and year out and gives the democrats a 250,000+ vote lead from the get go.

I expect a very close race. Blowouts are rare in Michigan which is a very purple state. Most statewide races are decided by 5% or less unless Engler or Levin are named in the ticket. The only major statewide race since 2000 which wasn't close is the 02 Secretary of State race which the democrats gave up and hardly contested. Butch Hollowell was thrown to the wolved against Sec of State Terri Land.

If the economy doesn't turn around quickly, I think DeVos wins in a squeaker similar to 1990's John Engler race.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 06:58:42 PM »

Granholm's losing her luster up here and isn't as popular in the state as she is nationally. She won her first race by 4%, closer than 2000 Bush. She was expected to win by 8 in the CLOSEST poll. Most predicted a blowout.

Her main base was state workers. She won the UP, where Bush won twice. She won big in the Alpena area as well. She won Ingham County with 60.95% compared to John Kerry's 57.78%She won GOP leaning Eaton County with 52.24% compared to Kerry's 45.58%. She took 46.32% in Clinton County compared to Kerry's 40.95% Granholm ticked off a lot of state workers.

Granholm and Kwame Kilpatrick (Detroit Mayor) aren't real happy with one another. She endored Freeman Hendrix in the mayor's race either explicitly, or implicitly. If Detroit doesn't turn out, the GOP wins. Detroit is 93.5% democrat year in and year out and gives the democrats a 250,000+ vote lead from the get go.

I expect a very close race. Blowouts are rare in Michigan which is a very purple state. Most statewide races are decided by 5% or less unless Engler or Levin are named in the ticket. The only major statewide race since 2000 which wasn't close is the 02 Secretary of State race which the democrats gave up and hardly contested. Butch Hollowell was thrown to the wolved against Sec of State Terri Land.

If the economy doesn't turn around quickly, I think DeVos wins in a squeaker similar to 1990's John Engler race.

Granholm is facing a tough reelection battle. She had a good personal favorability rating. People like her, just not how she is handling her job. If she can turn the economy around (I think that has already started, unemployment rate dropped from 6.7 to 6.4 last month) she will win easily. I cannot believe the Michigan Republican Party. Is Dick DeVos the best person they can find? A rich corporate man who is strongly pro-life and a very social  conservative. With that kind of resume he will get detroit to turn out.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »

I think being pro-life is a big advantage in this state, although DeVos will have to work to get blue collar support because of his background. Blue collar support is a weakness for Granholm as well as she's more of an Ann Arbor type liberal than a John Dingell Democrat. 

This is a populist state, and whoever gets the votes of the pro-union blue collar social conservatives usually wins. The amount needed depends on the Detroit/Southfield/AnnArbor/Flint/East Lansing  turnout.

Galactic Overlord

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »

Isn't being pro-life and socially conservative more of a problem in Oakland and Kalamazoo counties?  Those are areas Republicans need to win to beat Detriot's hefty margins.
Republican Michigander

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 10:19:48 PM »

Isn't being pro-life and socially conservative more of a problem in Oakland and Kalamazoo counties?  Those are areas Republicans need to win to beat Detriot's hefty margins.

It's a problem in Kalamazoo with Western Michigan University's influence. Oakland's not as simple as it's stereotype. (Fiscal Right, Social left). That's true in Royal Oak. The biggest change in Oakland over the last 20 years is the number of blacks moving in from Detroit. Southfield went for Dukakis by 5000 votes. It went for Kerry by about 30,000 votes. It's now 60%+ black. Pontiac has also always been a democrat and minority stronghold. Oak Park is now black majority. SE Oakland has always been very "Yuppie liberal" as well (Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge, Huntington Woods). The exurbs of Oakland are fast growing and solidly conservative and Republican. Milford, South Lyon, Highland, Clarkston, Lake Orion, etc. Those are where the gains have to be made there.

Macomb County is populist and swings. St Clair County, the UP, Monroe County, Calhoun County, Suburban Saginaw, Shiawassee County, and the Northeastern Lower Penninsula are all swing areas as well, but are more socially conservative and economic populists.

Also, a pro-choice republican is a HEAVY liability. In 1998, a pro-choice republican lost by 20% to Debbie Stabenow for Congress - while Geoff Fieger was getting creamed at the top of the ticket. She only had 53% in Livingston County - Bush had 63% in 2004. She lost every other portion of the district, swing and democrat leaning areas.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:50:17 PM »

I think granholm will win thanks to the Republican State Legislature. Yes, you heard me right. Because of them she has been forced to be a moderate and accept a lot of GOP authored legislation. So most people in mainstream michigan see Granholm as a moderate rather than a liberal. Also DeVos is recieving a lot of negative recieption around here for blaming every problem on granholm.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies