Siren/Muad'dib: Hope & Adventure! - (End of an Adventure)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:28:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Siren/Muad'dib: Hope & Adventure! - (End of an Adventure)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Siren/Muad'dib: Hope & Adventure! - (End of an Adventure)  (Read 4333 times)
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »

Endorsed.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »

Endorsed!!
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 09:59:37 PM »

F[inks] it, I'm sticking with you. I'll still write in a variety of other candidates for VP (including, but not limited to, all the other candidates currently in the running--no offense to Muaddib, of course, but he's well to my right and thus I'm not particularly interested in voting for him), but the top of the ticket is too good to pass up. Kind of disappointing you're courting the Fed vote, but I'll get over it.

Relevant:

No offense to Koopa, of course-- I just wanted to make this joke because the President is more left-wing and the Vice President more right-wing this time.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 11:07:58 PM »

I've got a question for both candidates.

For Siren: I am interested in your thoughts on a cis tax (not to be confused with a CIS tax; that is, a tax on your running mate's publication). I am aware that both you and your running mate are cisgender, and you'd probably lose Federalist endorsements if you were to endorse such a position, but I'll tell you exactly what I want, and I want you to very carefully explain to me why it cannot be.

Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 12:02:39 AM »

Support the campaign
Get your official Hope & Adventure banner

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 02:17:50 AM »

Endorsed
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 03:15:23 AM »

Thank you RC, it's an honor to have your endorsement, especially with your experience running last time!

Recanting my endorsement as this is a(n unfunny)meme ticket.

Sorry to see you go PSOL. I assure you this isn't going to be a meme campaign though. Sure I like to have fun, but we have several serious policy proposals in the works. I hope we can earn a high preference if you're willing to hear us out.

Two really good tickets, but ultimately, I think this is the best path forward - Siren and Muaddib are extremely competent leaders who compliment each other well. Endorsed!

It's an honor to have your support tmth. I hope we can do you proud! *hughughug*

This is a wonderful ticket! I am proud to endorse you both for the White House! It's long overdue for our country to have a real opportunity for some hope and adventure.

Thank you LT! I'm thrilled to have you along for the ride (I love your banner btw!)

I remember when you rewarded my service and voted for me to remain PPT after my party lost control of the Senate. You're one of the best people I have worked with in Atlasia, and I am excited to vote for your ticket. Even more so with your excellent choice of running mate. Endorsed!

Wow, thank you for this wonderful comment PiT! You were a fabulous PPT and it was well deserved. I really enjoyed the Senate while you were in charge. Honored to have your support.

Thanks Spark! I really appreciate your support.

Thank you WM!! Wonderful to have your support after spending so much time together in the Peace Party back in the day.

Thanks Celticempire! I really appreciate your support.

For Siren: I am interested in your thoughts on a cis tax (not to be confused with a CIS tax; that is, a tax on your running mate's publication). I am aware that both you and your running mate are cisgender, and you'd probably lose Federalist endorsements if you were to endorse such a position, but I'll tell you exactly what I want, and I want you to very carefully explain to me why it cannot be.

Sorry but I can't support it. Here is my best effort for a nuanced and heartfelt response: I really strongly believe in equality, not just with the law but with how we treat each other. It's one of the reasons I founded the Peace Party and included "free hugs" in the platform. Because I think we should always try our best to treat everyone with respect and kindness, even if it's hard, and we suck at it sometimes. I definitely have my moments. Of course, I don't believe everyone should be taxed equally. I believe in progressive taxation, but a tax on cisgender people is a tax based on the fundamental identity of a person, just the same as a tax on a transgender person would be or a tax on a person's race would be. And fundamental identities of a person need to be respected and not discriminated against via the law, taxation, or whatever else. It's a constitutional right IMO.

Thankfully, Atlasia is an amazing place when it comes to LGBTQ+ rights. There's a huge collection of LGBTQ+ laws on the books. I still remember way back when we were starting out together in the Chamber of Delegates, one of the first laws passed in the federal government was the Evergreen-Tmthforu LGBTQ+ Rights Act. What a good way to start off with the new reset! That bill had a lot of great features, including health insurance for hormone replacement therapy, marriage equality, and a ban on conversion therapy. There are also bills which gives protections for LGBTQ+ from workplace discrimination, discrimination with adoptions, bathroom discrimination, and programs for anti-bullying programs. One of them was even written by your's truly (even though I can't find it on the wiki - I know it passed both houses). A bill to provide comprehensive sex education which ensured sexual orientation and gender identity in schools would be taught as natural and not a choice, trained guidance counselors on sexual orientation/gender identity needs, and created programs sponsored by LGBTQ+ groups. There is even a national LGBTQ+ Celebration Day on June 26!

It feels strange compared to the real world we live in where things are really difficult. I truly sympathize with everything transgender people have to go through, even if I can't claim to understand how it feels personally. I'd have to guess that the situation for LGBTQ+ in Atlasia is so much better. I hope all of those laws have created a world in Atlasia where LGBTQ+ of all ages live happy and fulfilling lives. And if you think about it, a tax singling out cisgender people wouldn't really be in the spirit of all of those wonderful laws. Anyway, I hope that answers your question.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2020, 05:14:08 AM »

What will be the things the Siren/Muaddib administration will do if elected? Could you roll out a list of policies?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 08:19:23 AM »

Oh wow, I saw your answer coming but not nearly as long as that. Tongue
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »

Is this a joke? Muaddib is not someone I can ever vote for, and I'm very disappointed to see Siren, a player I've always looked up to, think he is worthy of the second-highest office in the land. I was excited when I saw Siren posting again, but this is a gigantic let-down.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »

Is this a joke? Muaddib is not someone I can ever vote for, and I'm very disappointed to see Siren, a player I've always looked up to, think he is worthy of the second-highest office in the land. I was excited when I saw Siren posting again, but this is a gigantic let-down.
It's only a joke if Muaddib doesn't answer my question with one of the given answers.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2020, 03:38:23 PM »

Ah I guess I'll have to wait until 2021 for the federalists to have their own candidiate for President.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »

Jokes aside it's great to see you back Siren & to see someone from the old era return and jump into the deep end.

I'm curious that you've picked a running mate who supports the Conferderate Flag but elections are about choices.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »

Jokes aside it's great to see you back Siren & to see someone from the old era return and jump into the deep end.

I'm curious that you've picked a running mate who supports the Conferderate Flag but elections are about choices.
Does the Confederate flag issue ever really move votes in this game?  Tongue
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

Endorsed.

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:24 PM »

Main Street Revitalization Package

Locally owned small businesses are the lifeblood of towns and cities across this country. They are an important part of my life that I've cared deeply about for a long time. Unlike multinational corporations, many local businesses provide essential community services, events, and activities that bring people together. They are places where customers walk in the store and are greeted by name with a smile. They are places where you can make new friends, learn new things, and enjoy yourself. Frankly, it's necessary to survive against massive companies like Amazon, but they also do it because they actually care about their community.

I know of several local businesses that have come together to support one another during covid-19. Restaurants bring lunches to bookstores offering curbside pickup, bakers and flower shops leave gifts for other business owners to brighten their spirit, just to name a few heartening examples. As the owners are members of the community themselves, they are more invested both in the well-being of their employees and in the success of their town. Even when it hurts their margins, many provide better wages for their employees and more flexible working arrangements for their staff. While the image many people think of when they hear the word "Mom & Pop store" tends to be a little corner market or trinket store, these businesses are so much more. They are bookstores, artisans, hardware stores, restaurants, cafes, computer shops, farmers markets, bakeries, natural food stores, flower shops, beauty salons, and many more.

These places have been hit hard by the pandemic. Their cash reserves are low, and given the importance placed on community involvement to their success, stay-at-home orders (while necessary) are making things very difficult for them to survive. At the same time, people are hurting too. They are afraid of contact and crowds, depressed, and we fear many may develop post-traumatic type symptoms even after the pandemic is over. It is our firm belief that in order for us to overcome covid-19 and find ourselves in the kind of world that we want to live after it's over, that we have to be looking to that future right now. Loans to small businesses, while very necessary and helpful, aren't enough and can be problematic if the businesses are left in debt. We need a comprehensive strategy to help local businesses and their communities not just survive the pandemic but to thrive and succeed after it's over so they can do the essential work they do to provide community services and heal the people of this country.

Muad'dib and I talked about this issue quite a bit over the past couple days. It's one of the reasons I picked him to be my running mate. He highlighted several proposals about this issue in his southern governor campaign. We both care about the issue, and together we came up with the outline of a plan that will not only help local businesses provide community service but also create the conditions needed for their success. We are proud to unveil this Main Street Revitalization Package as the first of a series of community-based policy proposals from our campaign over the coming weeks.

Television, radio, and online marketing campaigns on public broadcasting channels

This would provide a much needed supplement for local businesses, some of whom have very little money left over to spend on marketing. It will help bring more awareness to people about the wonderful services available to them in their community and neighboring towns and cities helping local economy and tourism. 7 in 10 people research their products before buying them. Many local businesses offer niche products that can't be found on the likes of Amazon and Walmart, so awareness and exposure is key. The more people know about it, the more everyone benefits.

A grant program for local businesses to provide community events and activities

While many local businesses already provide community functions, a grant program to which local businesses of a certain size would be able to apply, would help them by allowing them to redirect the funds they would normally spend on other aspects of their business, such as inventory, marketing, and payroll. For local businesses that haven't sponsored community events and programs, it will encourage them to do so, thereby increasing their exposure and improving their community, encouraging people to get involved in their community, meet new people, and develop a stronger bond with the people around them.

A networking website that fosters regional local coordination networks for local businesses

This is incredibly important and we think underappreciated. There's a lot that goes into running a small business. Even if business owners and/or their employees have gone to school for it, their expertise only goes so far. Whether it's legal issues, marketing campaigns, or finding the right inventory, there's always something to benefit from someone with more expertise. Creating an environment where local businesses can create connections with each other helps them meet the demands of a challenging environment. At the same time, it also fosters the connections in the local business community that facilitate Shop Local campaigns, festivals, and other events. When times are hard, they'll have a strong group of people they can rely on to get through it.

Reduced taxes for NEW small businesses during the first five years of their existence

Starting a new business is challenging even in the best of times, with most local businesses failing in the first five years of operation. During and following the pandemic, it's going to be exponentially worse. It's kind of like growing a flower. The initial stages are the most difficult but once it grows to full length, you'd be surprised how resilient it can be. This is why we support lowering the tax rate for new locally owned small businesses during the first five years of operation in order to shield them from what can be a challenging and predatory market. Generally, we believe that government tax policy should reflect the values of the community and encourage the type of community we want to live in. This rate would increase incrementally each financial year until they reach five years in business when they would resume paying the normal tax rate for small businesses. That way there's no risk of a sudden cliff at the end of the five years. This may also encourage more local entrepreneurs to jump in if they believe they have a greater chance of success, allowing communities to experience new things that they wouldn't have otherwise.

A pledge that a Siren/Muad'dib administration would favor products from small businesses for all of our functions and events

Presidential administrations are a large operation. They need a lot of stuff to function. If we have to do it, why not make sure we're supporting local economies across the country? Under this program, the interior or a related domestic department would identify small local businesses across Atlasia in Lincoln, the South, and Fremont for which we would purchase the materials our administration needs for daily needs, function and events. At functions and events, we would also make sure people in attendance know where the goods they're enjoying come from so they can buy more if they so choose. It's a symbol of our commitment to fostering locally owned small businesses in towns across this country.

Stay tuned for our next announcement which will include some exciting news for nation wide infrastructure development.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »

Main Street Revitalization Package TLDR

• Local small businesses are the lifeblood of towns across the country
  • They are deeply invested in their communities, their employees, and the lives of those around them
  • Both local small businesses and people are hurting. They can help heal the country together.
  • Public marketing campaigns to increase awareness about community businesses
  • Grants for small businesses to provided community events and activities
  • A networking website that fosters regional local coordination for community businesses
  • Reduced taxes for NEW small businesses
  • Pledge that a Siren/Muad'dib administration would favor products from small businesses for all of our functions and events
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »

Presidential Ticket wise for both this election and the previous one the the Peace-Federalist ticket ticks all three of those boxes. Smiley
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2020, 08:38:14 PM »

That wasn't the question. The question is, do you admit that Peace is the best party?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »

This has to be the most 2020 ticket and matchup ever....
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:25 PM »

Legitimizing neoconfederate voices… you hate to see it.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2020, 02:07:03 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 02:57:09 AM by Siren »

Thank you Ishan! I really appreciate it.

Ah I guess I'll have to wait until 2021 for the federalists to have their own candidiate for President.

Thanks for the welcome and for sharing your optimism about my chances Blair.  Smile Jumping into the deep end is definitely how it feels. I'll address your other point below in my answer to Razze.

Legitimizing neoconfederate voices… you hate to see it.

I'm sorry that I disappointed you Razze, but I won't apologize for my ticket. Sure, I admit it wasn't the race I was expecting to run, but when I got the chance to get to know Muad'dib recently, I found that he's someone that cares about communities and community service. He's someone who has volunteered his time working to feed hungry kids with a breakfast club at his local school. He supports local businesses. He's been super active and responsible as speaker, basically keeping the CoD functional, which is pretty much essential for a VP. He agrees with me about a peaceful and non interventionist foreign policy. I think those are some pretty worthy things. There are several things that he and I disagree on, but I think now more than ever, it's important to engage with people and make progress in areas where we can find common ground. It doesn't mean I've suddenly changed my views. I'm still the same person and I would be if I'm lucky enough to be president.

We're going to be making several policy proposals during the campaign to build a stronger community. I will do my best to earn your vote if you're willing to give me a chance, but if not I understand.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2020, 06:03:08 PM »

Love seeing talk of supporting small businesses - this is especially important to rural Atlasians who continue to face obstacles as communities lose population and lack resources. One of those resources lacking is rural broadband, which is especially critical during COVID-19, with more and more Atlasians working and learning from home.

To my knowledge, I don't think any substantive action has been taken in Atlasia on the subject, at least federally. I hope you'll consider adding it to your platform!
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »

No, Siren - Now is not the time to engage with people who have a soft spot for this country's racist foundations. In fact, it's the worst time in a very long while. You won't earn my vote in this election, and you may have lost it in future elections. Thank you for finally replying after I had to make a second post.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2020, 01:16:09 AM »

Hope & Adventure
Infrastructure & Volunteering

National infrastructure is essential to enable, sustain, and enhance our societal living conditions. This is especially true when one considers our growing population. This is true on both a National and personal scale (our human capital). With this in mind, your ticket of Hope, your ticket of Adventure are looking to invest in infrastructure on a number of levels. This is one of the reasons Siren felt she could work with me as her running mate. Siren was excited that in both my campaign's for governor I said that I had a plan for investing in infrastructure.

Quote from: Muad'dib's Infrastructure in Jan2020 election
I plan on implementing an ongoing Southern Rural Infrastructure Program. The Southern Regional Service will be a key part of building this infrastructure. I also plan on incentivising new economic development zones to help those of us who are struggling with unemployment to get a job.

Atlasian National Development Investment Fund
In my discussions with Siren I brought up my idea for an Atlasian National Development Investment Fund. This will be a National Fund for 401K portfolios to invest in projects that are primarily focused on building infrastructure of the nation. This will have two net positive effects. First, it helps provide for infrastructure now and going forward into the future. Second, it will provide a return on investment for our retirees in the near future. This is especially important with an aging population that people are able to fund their retirements.

What kind of projects will this invest in?

Broadband Networks
This is especially important for our rural communities. This will help rural and regional Atlasians stay competitive with not only the rest of the nation but the rest of the world.

Improved Road and Rail networks
This will help not only help reduce our carbon footprint, but also improve on delivery times, which is extra important for perishable food items.

Voluntary National Community Service
In my campaign for Governor I spoke about my plan for Southern Regional Service. While talking with Siren we came to the decision we would like to see Voluntary National Community Service (VNCS). This is investing in our human capital, the people of Atlasia. This would provide all able mind and bodied Atlasian NEETs (Not in Employment, Education or Training) the option of a bonus to their existing welfare payments by volunteering for the VNCS. As this is a bonus payment this will not affect any existing Atlasian welfare payments they may already be receiving. Those Atlasians with disabilities will be able to apply for VNCS and be given a suitable task appropriate to their level of disability. VNCS will give people training both on and off the job, the dignity of work, an additional bonus income source, skills for future employment, and the knowledge that they are contributing to further building towards a better Atlasia.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies