Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)  (Read 9611 times)
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:32:20 AM »

City councils would have to want and approve the moved convention. So you can cross out many cities in Florida, Georgia and Texas just based on that.

Nah.  There're these things called State Troopers that Kemp and DeSantis can easily dispatch to overrun APD or whatever.  Security for national conventions is never a strictly local undertaking, anyway.  State governments are unitary, governors can overrule mayors or city councils by simple order and they hold all the keys to enforcement (which should be entirely evident, given that it's Governor Cooper who's threatening to cancel the RNC and not the mayor of Charlotte). 

There is zero way you can do a modern convention without the cooperation from the local government.

I don't think the Governor of Georgia can just be like, eh I don't care what the local government says I am issuing you the necessary permits and if the local policy won't do anything I will send in the state troopers who are supposed to be protecting the people of the entire state not just the people who I decided to make have the convention here under the protest of the local government.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 12:14:34 PM »

Why didn't they move the convention to a random town in WY under open sky with physical distance? It doesn't take rocket science to figure out how a convention can happen without much risk. Or just have an online convention. Otherwide, we don't need a party of Mr. Trump and his cultists in this state of the nation. The less we hear from him, the better.

Because then they have to admit they were wrong
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies