Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:50:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Part of Republican National Convention will be held in Jacksonville (UPDATE: No it won't)  (Read 9635 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2020, 11:10:48 AM »

Trump’s politics is all spectacle and little in-depth thinking anyway, so this move is unsurprising.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »

The Republican National Committee is warning Gov. Cooper that he has until Wednesday (June 3) to comply with their demands for a traditional 'full' convention, or they are pulling out:

RNC sets deadline for North Carolina to allow 'full' convention, amid threat to change locations
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »

And there it is: NC rejects the convention without health protocols.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-rejects-gop-convention-without-health-protocols-nashville-being-considered/EEbCtxlhNB8HjPLf3Pk2bO/

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

Considering the RNC was insisting on a full convention & a guarantee that businesses would be open at full capacity, I'm not surprised. That'd be very irresponsible given the Trump administration's own f**king guidelines.

It's even better in that the state turned it back around on the RNC & requested full details on how they'd handle safety precautions, to which they pretty much responded with nightly sanitizing, hand sanitizer, no masks, & full capacity (i.e. no social distancing). And the RNC knew this would be the result, hence why they touted unrealistic expectations for holding the convention: so they could turn it back on Cooper & blame him. Thankfully, NC turned it back around on them when they tried to pin it on Cooper. In other words, the RNC sh*t & fell back in it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2020, 02:43:41 PM »

The RNC's fallback options:

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »

I mentioned awhile ago that Las Vegas is the natural fit for a Trump convention. Of course, local and state leadership won't be onboard with it. This is going to cause massive headaches for the RNC, not only will it be a pain to reschedule on such short notice, but very few local and state governments are going to be willing to set up the venue to Trump's specifications.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »

I mentioned awhile ago that Las Vegas is the natural fit for a Trump convention. Of course, local and state leadership won't be onboard with it. This is going to cause massive headaches for the RNC, not only will it be a pain to reschedule on such short notice, but very few local and state governments are going to be willing to set up the venue to Trump's specifications.

I still think the RNC will end up compromising as needed on scaling back the size of the convention as long as Trump is allowed to end the week with an acceptance speech that's done as a big outdoor rally with lots of people.  I assume that some local/state government somewhere in the South will agree to that.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »

I still think the RNC will end up compromising as needed on scaling back the size of the convention as long as Trump is allowed to end the week with an acceptance speech that's done as a big outdoor rally with lots of people.  I assume that some local/state government somewhere in the South will agree to that.

Probably, but it's still a highly inconvenient process to have to go through. I would not want to be involved in the event planning for a backup venue.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »

Trump wants to sicken and kill as many of his fellow Republicans as possible:

Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures

I really don't see this convention happening if Trump sticks to his guns here.  At least not in North Carolina.   

I wonder how many of his MAGA cultists would go to the convention without PPE or the 6 feet rule? I could see it being around 50-50.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »

Trump wants to sicken and kill as many of his fellow Republicans as possible:

Trump is reportedly insisting the Republican National Convention be held without face masks or social distancing measures

I really don't see this convention happening if Trump sticks to his guns here.  At least not in North Carolina.   

I wonder how many of his MAGA cultists would go to the convention without PPE or the 6 feet rule? I could see it being around 50-50.

They'll be selling MAGA-branded hydroxychloroquine at the door.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »

The RNC may be contractually stuck with doing the actual “party business” aspect of the convention in Charlotte, but is aiming to put on the televised speeches in another city….possibly multiple other cities.  At least one mayor (the mayor of Jacksonville, FL) is OK with their city being a convention host:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-looks-beyond-north-carolina-for-convention-as-relations-deteriorate-with-state-leaders/2020/06/02/e9cf9106-a4fa-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html

Because of contractual obligations with Charlotte, Republicans still expect to conduct much of the convention’s official business in North Carolina, including votes on Trump’s formal nomination and the proceedings of the platform committee.

But the event’s televised centerpiece — including Trump’s speech to the large crowd that he has insisted on — is now more likely to take place elsewhere, for one or more nights.
Republicans are exploring the possibility of moving the convention to multiple cities, according to two GOP officials, including Jacksonville, Fla.; Orlando; Las Vegas; and Nashville.

Trump has been personally involved in the planning, calling Cooper last Friday to talk about the event. He spoke by phone the same day with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) about moving the convention, according to a person close to the governor, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.
Meetings were held in Jacksonville on Monday to discuss potential logistics, including the number of available hotel rooms and venues that could host the president and thousands of supporters, said two Republicans in the state.

Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry reiterated Tuesday that he was encouraging the move.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2020, 08:17:18 PM »

The RNC may be contractually stuck with doing the actual “party business” aspect of the convention in Charlotte, but is aiming to put on the televised speeches in another city….possibly multiple other cities.  At least one mayor (the mayor of Jacksonville, FL) is OK with their city being a convention host:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-looks-beyond-north-carolina-for-convention-as-relations-deteriorate-with-state-leaders/2020/06/02/e9cf9106-a4fa-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html

Because of contractual obligations with Charlotte, Republicans still expect to conduct much of the convention’s official business in North Carolina, including votes on Trump’s formal nomination and the proceedings of the platform committee.

But the event’s televised centerpiece — including Trump’s speech to the large crowd that he has insisted on — is now more likely to take place elsewhere, for one or more nights.
Republicans are exploring the possibility of moving the convention to multiple cities, according to two GOP officials, including Jacksonville, Fla.; Orlando; Las Vegas; and Nashville.

Trump has been personally involved in the planning, calling Cooper last Friday to talk about the event. He spoke by phone the same day with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) about moving the convention, according to a person close to the governor, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.
Meetings were held in Jacksonville on Monday to discuss potential logistics, including the number of available hotel rooms and venues that could host the president and thousands of supporters, said two Republicans in the state.

Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry reiterated Tuesday that he was encouraging the move.

Of course it would take place in Florida!
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »

Trump's pulled out.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020/trump-says-hes-yanking-rnc-from-north-carolina-over-potential-pandemic-restrictions/ar-BB14WudU
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 08:47:41 PM »

Disappointed to hear it, I had hoped to volunteer
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:02 PM »

Like with Stormy Daniels.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »

Damn you beat me by one minute again lol
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »

As noted above, the RNC is contractually obligated to go ahead with Charlotte at least for the "party business" side of the convention, so we'll probably end up with a convention that's split between Charlotte and some other city (perhaps Jacksonville).
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2020, 09:26:51 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:22:53 AM by Ogre Mage »

Komrade Trump's convention should be in Moscow, Russia.  Vlad instruct flunkie Komrade Trump on sekret plan to make Amerikkka great.  
RJ
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »

Trump claims he's moving the RNC convention from NC:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nc-governor-gop-must-prepare-172346778.html

Everyone can take this with a grain of salt coming from a Democrat, but I think this is a huge tactical error and I really wish the RNC would grow a backbone and stand up to him.

How does everyone think this effects NC in the election? It's clearly Trump vs. the governor there, but I thought Cooper was popular and stands to win out on the deal, although his state lost several million in revenue...
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »

They should have it at Mar-a-Lago.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »

While it sounds like Jacksonville and Nashville discussions / site visits are planned or already happening, Orlando has been floated, but no one's told officials in Orange County anything yet:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article243232106.html

A spokeswoman for Orange County — where Orlando is located — told the Miami Herald that no one from the RNC has reached out “as of last night.”

“The Orange County Convention Center has not received any requests to host the RNC,” said spokeswoman Despina McLaughlin. “Additionally, the RNC has not asked for a site visit or requested to host an event at the Orange County Convention Center.”

Gov. Ron DeSantis held a press conference in the city Wednesday afternoon, but not to talk about the convention. DeSantis has said publicly that he would “love” for Florida to host the event, but it’s unclear if he’s spoken directly to Trump or to the Republican National Committee about that possibility.

Tampa has also been raised as a possibility, given that the city hosted the Republican convention in 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2020, 12:27:55 PM »

Bill Lee is (unsurprisingly) onboard with Nashville hosting the RNC:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/gov-lee-says-office-in-early-conversations-on-potentially-moving-gop-convention-to-nashville/

Lee also addressed the possibility of Nashville becoming the new host city for the 2020 Republican National Convention. While Lee said he has not had direct conversation about plans to move the convention from Charlotte, he said his office is in early discussions with GOP leaders.

“We certainly would be interested in welcoming that to our city,” Lee said. “It would be a great opportunity for us to build upon the economic recovery that’s already occurring.”

Lee also said he thinks GOP leaders will be coming to Nashville on Thursday to tour the city.
Panda Express

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

How does everyone think this effects NC in the election?

To be honest, I think it will have no effect. Conventions are a thing of the past and I don't think it's going to matter whether the conventions are big or small, virtual or traditional, or if they are moved or not.
RJ
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »

To be honest, I think it will have no effect. Conventions are a thing of the past and I don't think it's going to matter whether the conventions are big or small, virtual or traditional, or if they are moved or not.

I can understand this to a point and with the election 5 months away, it may be a distant memory by then. There was supposed to be a debate at Wright State University 4 years ago near Dayton Ohio which never happened. That was a major downer for the Dayton area and was supposed to bring in a lot of revenue to the area. I suppose since Trump still won the state easily and became the first GOP candidate for president to win Montgomery County in a very long time.

Still, NC is going to be a lot closer and this seems to be a bit of a kick to the economy there at a time when things are tenuous ecenomically. The governor of NC is a democrat as well and has a good approval rating, so in theory sparring with Cooper might be a bad idea. It might sound like a lot of dots to connect but these factors didn't exist 4 years ago and if the margin in NC is biden by .3% or so we might point to this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies