Ambassador to Germany Richard Grennell stepping down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:51:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ambassador to Germany Richard Grennell stepping down
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ambassador to Germany Richard Grennell stepping down  (Read 604 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/499378-grenell-to-step-down-as-us-ambassador-to-germany-report

Richard Grenell will step down as U.S. ambassador to Berlin in the next few weeks, German outlet Die Welt reported Sunday, citing information from the German Press Agency.

Grenell has been unpopular and controversial as U.S Ambassador to Germany, a key NATO ally, including making thinly veiled comments calling for Chancellor Angela Merkel's government to be replaced with a more conservative government, and threatening German businesses who did business with Iran.

If Trump wins reelection, who might he appoint as the new ambassador to this key NATO and European ally?

If Biden wins in November, who do you think he will appoint as the ambassador?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 06:43:56 PM »

Finally, that clown is gone.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:16:21 PM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »

If Trump wins reelection, who might he appoint as the new ambassador to this key NATO and European ally?

Ted Howze or Lara Trump
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

I'm pretty sure there's now an anti-nepotism law in place to keep him from nominating Lara Trump, or at least there has been since RFK was Attorney General.

Personally, I don't believe it's constitutional. If a person is qualified to do a job, why should anyone care if they are a family member of the President?

However, Lara Trump is not qualified to be ambassador to Germany.

Howze wouldn't be allowed into Germany to serve as ambassador, because he'd be an embarrassment to the German Government.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

I'm pretty sure there's now an anti-nepotism law in place to keep him from nominating Lara Trump, or at least there has been since RFK was Attorney General.

He can make her an acting Ambassador, or just send her to Berlin and let someone sue if they're unhappy with it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 06:26:29 AM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

Personally, I don't believe it's constitutional. If a person is qualified to do a job, why should anyone care if they are a family member of the President?

Howze wouldn't be allowed into Germany to serve as ambassador, because he'd be an embarrassment to the German Government.

Lara Trump is probably as qualified to be Ambassador to Germany as a whole lot of previous Ambassadors to Germany.  Put it this way:  How much less qualified is Lara Trump than NJ Gov Phil Murphy, Ambassador to Germany for most of Obama's first term?  And what were Phil Murphy's unique qualifications for the job?  (Hint:  I see Goldman Sachs in his resume.)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »

I hear David Duke is currently jobseeking and is a big enthusiast of German history.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

Lara Trump is probably as qualified to be Ambassador to Germany as a whole lot of previous Ambassadors to Germany.  Put it this way:  How much less qualified is Lara Trump than NJ Gov Phil Murphy, Ambassador to Germany for most of Obama's first term?  And what were Phil Murphy's unique qualifications for the job?  (Hint:  I see Goldman Sachs in his resume.)

One of the roles of the ambassador is to use their own money to host events and wine and dine important people in the country they’re serving in. Murphy was a successful businessman with his own money and experience in working with important people. Lara doesn’t have the money, business experience, positive reputation, or education necessary to do the same job. A Trump expects to extract money from government for their own benefit, not use their money (what little there is) to top up government. For that reason, Lara Trump would be as unqualified as the other rent-seeking Trump kids and in-laws who have infested our government.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »

Wasn’t he supposed to be heading DNI?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »

Wasn’t he supposed to be heading DNI?

He was the greatest Acting DNI in the history of the Republic, and a Massive FF in that role.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »

There is a German expression that can rougly be transated to "Walk with God, but please walk away" and I think it fits really well here.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »

Good riddance.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »

Glad this moron is out. He was a complete and total embarrassment who made a fool of himself. Nobody here liked him anyway. On either side of the political spectrum.

If I was in government, I would have declared him persona non-grata years ago already. But Merkel and Maas didn't have the guts.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »

Grenell has been a great fighter for the decriminalization effort worldwide, and I hope he stays on in that role, at least.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 11:49:12 PM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

Lara Trump is probably as qualified to be Ambassador to Germany as a whole lot of previous Ambassadors to Germany.  Put it this way:  How much less qualified is Lara Trump than NJ Gov Phil Murphy, Ambassador to Germany for most of Obama's first term?  And what were Phil Murphy's unique qualifications for the job?  (Hint:  I see Goldman Sachs in his resume.)

One of the roles of the ambassador is to use their own money to host events and wine and dine important people in the country they’re serving in. Murphy was a successful businessman with his own money and experience in working with important people. Lara doesn’t have the money, business experience, positive reputation, or education necessary to do the same job. A Trump expects to extract money from government for their own benefit, not use their money (what little there is) to top up government. For that reason, Lara Trump would be as unqualified as the other rent-seeking Trump kids and in-laws who have infested our government.

Oh come on, let's not pretend ambassadorships to stable, democratic allies are anything other than patronage. Both of Obama's Ambassadors to the UK were longtime Democratic fundraisers, as were both of his Ambassadors to Japan, the second of whom was also a Kennedy scion. The permanent staff in these embassies are the ones who do the actual work of diplomatic mission.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 05:53:28 AM »

Ted Howze or Lara Trump

Oh come on, let's not pretend ambassadorships to stable, democratic allies are anything other than patronage. Both of Obama's Ambassadors to the UK were longtime Democratic fundraisers, as were both of his Ambassadors to Japan, the second of whom was also a Kennedy scion. The permanent staff in these embassies are the ones who do the actual work of diplomatic mission.

Oh of course it's patronage for donors. But it has certain internal rules that prevent it from being a complete free-for-all and you can distinguish would-be ambassadors as qualified or unqualified.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies