S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:14:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0 (Passed)  (Read 610 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2020, 01:39:36 PM by Pear Squad »

Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0

The following changes will be made to the Southern Constitution:

All references in the Southern Constitution to "Eastern Standard Time" or "EST" are amended to "Eastern Daylight Time" or "EDT".

Author: MB

Reintroducing this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:19:42 PM »

Much thanks to Delegate Spark for introducing this. The People petitioned for this to be reconsidered, the petition received widespread support from leaders of all sides. This is a common-sense amendment that will align regional elections with federal ones. I urge the Chamber to pass this.

If any Delegate has a reason to oppose this, hopefully this time they will voice that during the debate, so it can be properly discussed and their reasoning considered.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:26:18 PM »

As it is not clear that later poll closing times favor one party or the other (which shouldn't be a consideration), I believe that this amendment is necessary to curtail any confusion that voters have about poll closing times. If the poll closing times are aligned, it will prevent any citizens' votes from being deemed invalid.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:43 PM »

As it is not clear that later poll closing times favor one party or the other (which shouldn't be a consideration), I believe that this amendment is necessary to curtail any confusion that voters have about poll closing times. If the poll closing times are aligned, it will prevent any citizens' votes from being deemed invalid.

Just going to point out here that it is more likely that citizens' votes will be deemed invalid under Daylight Savings Time.

In the current situation, the only confusion is over when the election starts, and since early voters are allowed to re-vote in the South, this doesn't result in any invalidations.

Meanwhile, changing to DST creates confusion about when the election ends, which will almost certainly result in confusion and late voters failing to vote in time.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »

I feel like that argument would best be made at the federal level, no? This amendment isn't about the pros and cons of DST, it is simply about putting us in alignment with federal elections. If those got changed, I would want ours to follow suit. Perhaps remove all references of timezones in the constitution completely and have it in a regional election act so it can be easier amendment, but that would require a sizeable amount of work (a good long-term goal for the region, though).
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »

I feel like that argument would best be made at the federal level, no? This amendment isn't about the pros and cons of DST, it is simply about putting us in alignment with federal elections. If those got changed, I would want ours to follow suit. Perhaps remove all references of timezones in the constitution completely and have it in a regional election act so it can be easier amendment, but that would require a sizeable amount of work (a good long-term goal for the region, though).

I'm currently writing an amendment that can be introduced at the federal level, although I'm not optimistic that people will want to revert the federal election times now that DST is the new status quo.

I've always viewed the South's reluctance to alter the traditional standard time as a positive thing, and I don't see why it's so important that the federal and regional elections be perfectly aligned; if anything, keeping with standard time essentially allows an extra hour for voting after the federal election is over, since people who vote before the election starts can vote again later anyway.

Perhaps elections could be extended from 72 to 73 hours to avoid any confusion whatsoever? Just a thought.   
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »

To me it is an unnecessary hassle that confuses voters - typically speaking, when GOTV messages are sent, links are provided for regional and federal elections when they are the same weekend. If I were a voter and was being explained that "you have to vote by this time for the federal election and this time for the regional election"...well, to me it just seems like a hassle.

Just imagine going to a voting booth in real life and being told "Sorry, you can vote in the state election, but the national election (hasn't started yet/has already ended)." That is essentially what the status quo does. A nice idea on extending to 73 hours, though I'd still argue I don't like us deviating too strongly from federal/other regions on this type of thing. I'm all for uniqueness but not on this.

Hopefully IRL DST is either made permanent or abolished soon. Not a fan of the changes!!!
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 02:46:36 AM »

After a discussion with delegate Muad'dib, I have come to the conclusion that my previous vote was a mistake, and I will support putting this amendment to a vote.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 03:20:46 AM »

While the merits of Daylights Savings Time can be debated. In this instance it is about avoiding confusion with regards to election times and an allignment in this case makes sense to make life easier.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 10:11:06 AM »

I move to sponsor.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 02:33:54 AM »

Thankyou for clarifying who is the Sponsor of this bill. (this means the Governor has another slot available to him).

Would the Labor delegates like to say something... anything? On this bill. I'd give you both the benefit of quoting your posts from S.20.2-5 (the original bill) but alas there are none from any of the Labor delegates there either.

I'd like to thank both delegate Reagente, and deputy speaker Spark, for at least commenting on this bill.

reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 05:47:01 AM »

To get the ball rolling, I motion to vote. Feel free to object if you have something to add to the discussion - but otherwise I think we can move forward and vote on this bill.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:00 AM »

To get the ball rolling, I motion to vote. Feel free to object if you have something to add to the discussion - but otherwise I think we can move forward and vote on this bill.
24 hours for objections
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

No objection
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 07:50:25 AM »

As there have been no objections voting is now open on S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0. Voting will last for 48 hours or untill all delegates have voted which ever come first.

Sound the bells!
(Delegates will be DM'd)

The text of the bill reads as follows:
Quote from: S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0

All references in the Southern Constitution to "Eastern Standard Time" or "EST" are amended to "Eastern Daylight Time" or "EDT".

Voting Options Are:
[   ] Aye
[   ] Nay
[   ] Abstain
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »

aye
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »

Aye
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

AYE

Hello Labor where are you?
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »

The bill passes 3-0.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:30 AM »

Technically there is still more time so voting hasn't closed. If the labor candidates want to show that the maybe alive and able to vote that would be nice. They were notified of the vote.
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:24 PM »

Technically there is still more time so voting hasn't closed. If the labor candidates want to show that the maybe alive and able to vote that would be nice. They were notified of the vote.

S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0 (Passes)
Once again it seems the Labor party delegates aren't keen on even voting in the chamber.

Final Count:
[ 3 ] Aye
[ 0 ] Nay
[ 0 ] Abstain
[ 2 ] Absent (PragmaticPopulist, Jayde)

The bill now awaits the governors signature:
Quote from: S.20.2-12: Daylight Savings Time Amendment 2.0

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies