China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:53:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong  (Read 2899 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: May 22, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »

If does seems that this act will most likely energize the opposition and the 2020 Legco election will most likely seen high turnout of the Pan-Democrat blocs and Pan-Localist blocs.  Now there is a meaningful chance that the Pan-Establishment bloc will lose their majority in the 2020 Legco elections.
 A replication of the 2019 HK local elections most likely gives the Pan-Establishment bloc a very narrow majority but it is possible  Pan-Democrat blocs and Pan-Localist blocs turnout might surge even beyond 2019 levels.

Of course for the PRC it does not matter since their bottom line is more about national security issues than exactly how to "divide up the plunder."  Even of the Pan-Establishment bloc lose their majority the internal divisions between the Moderate and Radical Pan-Democrats as well as Pan-Localist bloc will make the anti-Pan-Establishment bloc narrow majority hard to stay wield so there will be all sorts of multi-way backroom deals to get anything passed.

I thought the functional seats (I think those are the ones elected by corporations and what not) essencially made it close to impossible for the Pan-Democrats to win a majority?

Like the Democrats would need almost a clean sweep of all the democratically elected seats? (or in other words something like 80-85% of the vote, which seems unlikely to me?)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies