China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:07:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China to enact Article 23 National Security Law in Hong Kong  (Read 2931 times)
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:01 PM »

Bad guys are going to do bad guy stuff.

How will our PRC apologists handle this?  my guess is ignore.

Why? Is this a super bad thing? HK is failing its constitutional duties. They had a chance to do it themselves. Without a law like this, HK citizens could get away with some grave offenses against the central government. With the presence of foreign intelligence operations in HK I don't think anyone with a brain would want to take that risk.

Grave offenses like what?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »

This is what I hate about talking about this kind of thing with Americans. The same principles applied to the United States would be entirely uncontroversial - look at how crazy Americans went over Maria Butina allegedly spying for Russia. There's a risk of spying, of terrorism, of doing things to harm the country. You've got people parading in the streets of Hong Kong committing racist attacks against people speaking Putonghua and holding up banners asking for Trump to send in the troops. Imagine if people in Texas were getting beaten for speaking English by rallies of people holding Mexican flags and asking for AMLO to invade. That wouldn't even be an issue... because Texas State doesn't lack laws against treason.

imagine supporting high rents and human rights violations over such things as t e r r i t o r i a l i n t e g r i t y
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies