Most conservative part of the UK? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:57:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Most conservative part of the UK? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Most conservative country in the UK?
England

Scotland

Wales

Northern Ireland

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Most conservative part of the UK?  (Read 3167 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: May 25, 2020, 05:19:39 AM »

I saw someone post that Kent was the most conservative; although between 1997-2010 they returned a fair few Labour MPs (it appears to be 8 according to a 2005 article)

But it's no surpise as the parts of Kent that were Labour friendly certainly seemed to be the centre of the gravity that New Labour was obsessed with retaining; tough on aslyum seekers, tough on benefit 'fraud'  but happy with a modest bit of redistribution to build a new school, re-do the town centre and create a nice PFI hospital.

The above probably equally applies to some of those essex seats; my impression of Kent has always been that the rural/village parts are full of the exact same Tories you see across the country (socially conservative, owner occupied etc) but that parts of the seat are more friendly to a small c vision of Labour.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:22:43 AM »

I'm interested that no-one has argued in favour of the South-West; specifically Cornwall.

I know obviously there is an extremely strong Liberal tradition & St Ives could still thereotically return a Liberal but it terms of the last 10 years it seems that both Brexit & the decline of the Lib-Dems has supercharged the regiond descend into Coservatism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies