538 updates Pollster ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:08:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  538 updates Pollster ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538 updates Pollster ratings  (Read 1639 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »
« edited: May 19, 2020, 12:07:38 PM by lfromnj »

Of course somehow hack Marist still has a A+ rating

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »

I really hope they put out the general election model soon.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:22:44 PM »

Marist's polls are consistently very inaccurate, I have no idea how they are the the highest rated.

Meanwhile the Gold Standard Data for Progress poll gets a B-? Sick stuff.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »

I really hope they put out the general election model soon.

538 is 278 blue wall, its Nate Silver model, AZ can be argued
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:33:40 PM »

Marist's polls are consistently very inaccurate, I have no idea how they are the the highest rated.

Meanwhile the Gold Standard Data for Progress poll gets a B-? Sick stuff.

Its really incredible, going by their 2018 senate polls the only state they got right was Arizona, the rest were all 5+ points off which is not acceptable for a "A+" tier pollster.
n1240

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »

Have seen their polls posted here recently, but they've banned OurProgress/The Progress Campaign polls in their new ratings, so maybe they shouldn't be posted here anymore?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:18 PM »

Have seen their polls posted here recently, but they've banned OurProgress/The Progress Campaign polls in their new ratings, so maybe they shouldn't be posted here anymore?

Did they definitively? I heard they were vetting them, but that was the last I heard
n1240

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:24 PM »

Did they definitively? I heard they were vetting them, but that was the last I heard

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »

It’s amusing that the A-tier pollster with the largest Dem bias is FoxNews.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2020, 02:19:24 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Only 2 polls are marked in that pic, so I'd give it a week before declaring this definitive.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »

Memerson has an A-?  I didn't see that one coming.
jake_arlington

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »

I could throw pins at a magnetic dartboard and come up with better ratings than this...by the way, the D4P polling group has also been historically very inaccurate
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 04:40:10 PM »

I just want them to come out with their forecasts for 2020 already. Might be able to find it a few days early by using the adress bar, which I was able to do in 2018. Thye were still working out their meathodology and had weird ratings like IN safe Donnelly, ND Lean Heitkamp, Texas Safe Cruz; I think they must've just weight incumbency with the partisan lean an dnothing else.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 05:37:50 PM »

I just want them to come out with their forecasts for 2020 already. Might be able to find it a few days early by using the adress bar, which I was able to do in 2018. Thye were still working out their meathodology and had weird ratings like IN safe Donnelly, ND Lean Heitkamp, Texas Safe Cruz; I think they must've just weight incumbency with the partisan lean an dnothing else.

Nate Silver seems too focused on being an amateur epidemiologist these days, it'll probably a be a while.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »

The model started in late June in 2016, that's probably a good guess.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 05:59:16 PM »

Release the model Nate
jake_arlington

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »

With the (unofficial) start of the campaign still yet to be delayed, that's probably a little overly "optimistic" for now. I would shoot for sometime between late August/early October would be my guess, after all.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 09:23:39 PM »

With the (unofficial) start of the campaign still yet to be delayed, that's probably a little overly "optimistic" for now. I would shoot for sometime between late August/early October would be my guess, after all.

I don't think there's any way the model is released later than three months out from election day (which would be August 3rd this time). Fivethirtyeight needs to make money by people obsessively refreshing, after all. Maybe the House (yes, he said he's doing that again) and Senate models come a little later...in 2018 they came on on August 16th. I could see Silver only starting on the House and Senate models later this time due to the Presidential so maybe they come on in September.
jake_arlington

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »

I don't think there's any way the model is released later than three months out from election day (which would be August 3rd this time). Fivethirtyeight needs to make money by people obsessively refreshing, after all. Maybe the House (yes, he said he's doing that again) and Senate models come a little later...in 2018 they came on on August 16th. I could see Silver only starting on the House and Senate models later this time due to the Presidential so maybe they come on in September.

They also had a gubernatorial forecast in 2018 though, and that was later right?

Anyway, in whichever case it will be a special instance this year, taking place under unforeseen circumstances not present back then in that race, having happened four years ago.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 04:32:39 AM »

Of course somehow hack Marist still has a A+ rating

Yes, Evers +10 and Donnelly +3 aged very well.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies