Puerto Rico to hold yet another statehood resolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 01:38:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Puerto Rico to hold yet another statehood resolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Puerto Rico to hold yet another statehood resolution  (Read 3955 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2020, 09:07:08 PM »

This should be the first agenda for the Democrats if they take back the Senate. Use the momentum from the referendum and ram it through.

100% agreement here. I would also look at Guam, as 165k people is still a decent number. Not sure whether DC could be made a state with senate and house representation without a constitutional amendment. But PR should 100% become a full state.

Add in the Northern Mariana Islands and you're around 220,000. I'm not just mixing islands together - the NMI and Guam are culturally, linguistically, and geographically similar.

Additionally, you could offer former US trust territories the opportunity to be part of the state and get the population over 400k. Normally I wouldn't say let's just start annexing countries, but the offer could be made since they were administered by the US for decades, within the lifetime of the current leadership of those countries (Palau, Marshall Islands, FS Micronesia). This state of Micronesia would have cultural cohesion and would at least be all on the same side of the International Date Line. It would be a smart geopolitical move too, given the hypothetical state's proximity to China, and East Asia in general.
The former trust territories chose their current status, just as the CNMI chose theirs.

Yep. But being part of a state of Micronesia wasn't on the table then.
But they could have had a status similar to the CNMI.

Free association might be a solution for American Samoa, since it could provide for the right to work in the United States.

The US would be better to pursue annexation of the Caribbean. Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti,  Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad&Tobago could be states, as would the smaller islands collectively. Florida could annex the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, North Carolina could have Bermuda.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2020, 10:55:58 PM »

If the Senate is tied, there won't be PR or DC statehood but in 2022, there maybe statehood.

I mean it's not a priority in a Pandemic, the country need to deal with it's own fiscal policy and then deal with immigration, secondly
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »

It's simply inaccurate to call Puerto Ricans second-class citizens. They have exactly the same rights as any other US citizen, including voting and Congressional representation - they just have to live in one of the 50 states, just like any other US citizen.

Leave your family behind if you want political representation is one of the least compelling arguments I've ever heard.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2020, 11:53:46 PM »

The US would be better to pursue annexation of the Caribbean. Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti,  Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad&Tobago could be states, as would the smaller islands collectively. Florida could annex the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, North Carolina could have Bermuda.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2020, 01:55:21 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2020, 02:29:49 PM by GP270watch »

Dominicans would never want to be a state within The United States. Haiti wouldn't be either the Haitian people are fiercely proud of their independence. Jamaica is still too British in culture to be an American state. Jamaica would sooner be a province of Canada(but that's unrealistic as well). Cuba could someday in the very distant future be a part of the United States but only because it is so close to Florida. But a lot of jaded generations of political ideologues will have to pass away for this to conceivably happen.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2020, 02:40:48 PM »

Say it with me. Senator Carmen Yuliz Cruz!!!.....
(Except she opposes statehood LOL, she wants PR to become a separate country.)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »

One of the most cruel historical ironies/injustices in all this is that Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for hundreds of years, and then finally received full admission to Spain with voting rights in 1897, only to find itself a colony (again) of the United States in 1898. Of course, that status continues into the present day.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2020, 03:57:41 PM »

getting rid of The Jones Act would help them just as much statehood would and could be done in an afternoon if the GOP and the Dems weren't garbage parties.
Oh for God’s sake people dead0man was saying that the US government is the one that could help Puerto Rico out by repealing the Jones Act. Not the Puerto Rican government. Where did so many posters get that idea? All his criticism is aimed at the US government.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »

getting rid of The Jones Act would help them just as much statehood would and could be done in an afternoon if the GOP and the Dems weren't garbage parties.
Oh for God’s sake people dead0man was saying that the US government is the one that could help Puerto Rico out by repealing the Jones Act. Not the Puerto Rican government. Where did so many posters get that idea? All his criticism is aimed at the US government.

"Let's piss of the shipping lobby to help these non-voters!"

Yeah, that's not really how the US Government operates. If you're relying on altruism, you're doing it wrong. The Constitution is literally a series of checks and balances based on self-interest vs national interest and at no point does a non-voting population get any consideration. How about letting Puerto Rico help itself by giving them a seat at the table they are already served from.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »

Puerto Rico should either become a state or an independent country. The current "commonwealth" system essentially means you have 3,193,694 people (more than the population of several U.S. states) having no say in national politics.

There have been multiple referenda over the years and there's never been an unambiguous vote in favor of any particular change from the current system. The events of the last few years may well have shaken things up enuf that anew referendum might produce a clear result, but I wouldn't count on it.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:41 AM »

I’d love it if they joined with the US Virgin Islands to form one state
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2020, 12:18:46 AM »

They'd have to combine for federal representation only with the two completely separate when it comes to local affairs because, despite close proximity, they are culturally distinct.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2020, 01:24:48 AM »

They'd have to combine for federal representation only with the two completely separate when it comes to local affairs because, despite close proximity, they are culturally distinct.

Yeah, their cultures are very unique & distinct from those of each other. It'd be like combining Colorado & Wyoming into one state: it wouldn't really work.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2020, 01:43:59 AM »

Long since time to admit them
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2020, 06:49:09 AM »

One of the most cruel historical ironies/injustices in all this is that Puerto Rico was a Spanish colony for hundreds of years, and then finally received full admission to Spain with voting rights in 1897, only to find itself a colony (again) of the United States in 1898. Of course, that status continues into the present day.

I thought pre-1898 Puerto Rico (and Cuba for that matter) had MPs and what not in the Spanish parliament?

I assume they were malapportioned but still. Not like it really matters since Spain was not a democracy at the time with elections being comically rigged formalities.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »

I thought pre-1898 Puerto Rico (and Cuba for that matter) had MPs and what not in the Spanish parliament?

I assume they were malapportioned but still. Not like it really matters since Spain was not a democracy at the time with elections being comically rigged formalities.

True, but that would have carried over to the present, so yeah.

Here's some more information:

"The queen of Spain had signed the Autonomic Charter of 1897, granting Puerto Ricans representation (voice and vote) in the courts of Spain. Ironically, Puerto Ricans enjoyed greater political participation under the monarchy of Spain than under the United States [...]"

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/puerto-ricans-are-hardly-us-citizens-they-are-colonial-subjects/2017/12/13/c0f1c700-de9f-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

True, but that would have carried over to the present, so yeah.

Here's some more information:

"The queen of Spain had signed the Autonomic Charter of 1897, granting Puerto Ricans representation (voice and vote) in the courts of Spain. Ironically, Puerto Ricans enjoyed greater political participation under the monarchy of Spain than under the United States [...]"

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/puerto-ricans-are-hardly-us-citizens-they-are-colonial-subjects/2017/12/13/c0f1c700-de9f-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html

Yeah I actually ran the math once and if it was somehow still Spanish PR would be the 3rd largest constituency (behind Madrid and Barcelona), and the 5th largest region; entitled to somewhere around 23 MPs or so.

Predicting how it would vote and how it would affect Spanish politics is of course impossible and an exercise in alternate history, though it would almost certainly have a strong nationalist movement of some sort
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

I think all the anti-statehood people won't vote on the ballot, so you will have lowturnout so Congress can't take this seriously.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »

Yeah, that's not really how the US Government operates. If you're relying on altruism, you're doing it wrong. The Constitution is literally a series of checks and balances based on self-interest vs national interest and at no point does a non-voting population get any consideration. How about letting Puerto Rico help itself by giving them a seat at the table they are already served from.
yeah, lets continue to screw poor Puerto Ricans (and, ya know, every other person living on an American Island) to protect the most inefficient ship building companies in the world.  Why do you hate poor brown people?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2020, 03:13:55 PM »

yeah, lets continue to screw poor Puerto Ricans (and, ya know, every other person living on an American Island) to protect the most inefficient ship building companies in the world.  Why do you hate poor brown people?

The leading proponent of Jones Act repeal in the Senate is a dead guy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:35 PM »

I have no idea what that has to do with anything I said, but ok!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »

A lot of the anti-Puerto Rico statehood arguments sound similar to the anti-Hawaii statehood arguments. Hmm, I would why?

New Mexico also had a hard time becoming a state, I suspect for similar reasons.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 08:34:23 PM »

Say it with me. Senator Carmen Yuliz Cruz!!!.....
(Except she opposes statehood LOL, she wants PR to become a separate country.)

That second part is rather surprising. The independence movement in Puerto Rico is, if not quite Fringe, at least devoid of any meaningful public support. I suppose she's been elected despite her views on Independence, which voters ignore as irrelevant to her job.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »

Assuming the following is true: good (50%+) turnout in the referendum and a (big) majority for statehood, Democrats win back the Senate and hold the House - what other requirements are there to admit PR as the 51st state ?

I guess a constitutional majority in Congress ? Signature by the US President and PR Governor ? What about the PR legislature ?

They would need to ratify their new state constitution and hold elections for state officials. I think they have to submit the new constitution to Congress, but I'm not sure if that's actually necessary. Congress would then approve statehood by a majority vote.

Really no good reason for Democrats not to do this with DC/PR, at this point. There is little doubt Republicans would not hesitate to do so if they thought they could squeeze a few extra Senators out of it. Creating states for partisan gain is a time-honored American tradition! (yuck)

Wouldn't this all be subject to filibuster, though? And since Democrats are not about to have a super majority in the Senate again anytime in the foreseeable future, would effectively require the legislative nuclear option of repealing the rule in order to pass statehood?

After all, at this point I sincerely doubt one could find the several Republican Senators willing to cross the aisle that would be necessary to admit Puerto Rico, and I doubt one could find a single vote in their caucus to admit DC.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »

A lot of the anti-Puerto Rico statehood arguments sound similar to the anti-Hawaii statehood arguments. Hmm, I would why?

New Mexico also had a hard time becoming a state, I suspect for similar reasons.

DC was majority white when they received electoral votes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies