House carpetbagging question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:35:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  House carpetbagging question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House carpetbagging question  (Read 1103 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »

Why does it seem that the most common form of carpetbagging is a Republican running in a heavily Democratic district?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 08:16:10 PM »

Examples?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 08:41:41 PM by ERM64man »

CA-47 2018 and 2020: John Briscoe (R-Huntington Beach). CA-33 2020: James Bradley (R-Laguna Niguel). Johnny Nalbandian (R-Los Angeles) carpetbagged at least once (he ran in CA-28 in 2018; running in CA-27 in 2020).
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 08:53:24 PM »

To me the most notorious carpet-bagging Republicans in CA would be Dan Lindgren and Tom McClintock, as both are from Southern California but represented Northern California areas in Congress.

I imagine for some of these heavily Dem districts it is hard for them to even find a Republican who lives there and wants to run a guaranteed losing campaign. Not everyone is willing to be Mark Reed.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »

To me the most notorious carpet-bagging Republicans in CA would be Dan Lindgren and Tom McClintock, as both are from Southern California but represented Northern California areas in Congress.

I imagine for some of these heavily Dem districts it is hard for them to even find a Republican who lives there and wants to run a guaranteed losing campaign. Not everyone is willing to be Mark Reed.
Gary Miller did it in 2012 and won. Joshua Scott (R-Glendora) is the GOP nominee for CA-32, but I don't know if he lives in CA-32 or CA-27. Do you know which district Scott lives in?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »

Gary Miller did it in 2012 and won. Joshua Scott (R-Glendora) is the GOP nominee for CA-32, but I don't know if he lives in CA-32 or CA-27. Do you know which district Scott lives in?

Gary Miller at least represented in that area, so he didn't really move across state. I don't know anything about Joshua Scott.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 10:10:04 PM by ERM64man »

Gary Miller at least represented in that area, so he didn't really move across state. I don't know anything about Joshua Scott.
Miller carpetbagged because he didn't want to run against another incumbent. Bradley likely carpetbagged because he knew Michelle Steel would be the nominee in his home district. Is Bradley some kind of opportunist?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 10:13:01 PM »

Miller carpetbagged because he didn't want to run against another incumbent. Bradley likely carpetbagged because he knew Michelle Steel would be the nominee in his home district. Is Bradley some kind of opportunist?

I don't think a similar extremely near district is enough to be considered carpet-bagging IMO
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:21:10 PM »

I don't think a similar extremely near district is enough to be considered carpet-bagging IMO
CA-48 and CA-33 aren't all that close. You don't consider that carpetbagging?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 10:28:37 PM »

Both districts contain parts of the old CA-46 (Dana Rohrabacher)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »

Was Gary Miller's previous district that stretched from Diamond Bar to Mission Viejo a bizarre one?

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »

Was Gary Miller's previous district that stretched from Diamond Bar to Mission Viejo a bizarre one?

Yes, the Berman-mander was a sight to behold. I actually have the GIS data for it so I've been recreating it to see how it's held up with current numbers. Cardoza's and Lundgren's districts gave me headaches.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »

Yes, the Berman-mander was a sight to behold. I actually have the GIS data for it so I've been recreating it to see how it's held up with current numbers. Cardoza's and Lundgren's districts gave me headaches.
I wasn't talking about Berman. Was Miller's old district that covered Diamond Bar and Mission Viejo bizarre? What about Calvert's that covered Corona and San Clemente?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »

I wasn't talking about Berman. Was Miller's old district that covered Diamond Bar and Mission Viejo bizarre? What about Calvert's that covered Corona and San Clemente?

Michael Berman, Howard's brother, was the mastermind who drew the districts for that entire map. He also drew the Burton map from the 80s.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »

Michael Berman, Howard's brother, was the mastermind who drew the districts for that entire map. He also drew the Burton map from the 80s.
Was Michael Berman the guy the rashist Brad Sherman was mad at?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 10:43:58 PM »

Yup. He didn't want a 52% Hispanic district, so Berman drew his brother a 57% Hispanic district.

In 2001, U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Orange County) admitted that she and her colleagues paid $20,000 to map-maker Michael Berman to preserve their seats. “Twenty thousand is nothing to keep your seat,” Sanchez said. “I spend $2 million (campaigning) every election.”
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 10:52:35 PM »

Yup. He didn't want a 52% Hispanic district, so Berman drew his brother a 57% Hispanic district.

In 2001, U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Orange County) admitted that she and her colleagues paid $20,000 to map-maker Michael Berman to preserve their seats. “Twenty thousand is nothing to keep your seat,” Sanchez said. “I spend $2 million (campaigning) every election.”
Why didn't Berman want a majority-Hispanic district?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »

Why didn't Berman want a majority-Hispanic district?

Berman accepted a 57% district. I think both were worried about a primary from a Hispanic challenger, which is kind of ridiculous. If you do a good job, most people don't care what race you are
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 11:09:36 PM »

Right. Isn't Steve Cohen a good example? What about the now-retired Gene Green?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »

Right. Isn't Steve Cohen a good example? What about the now-retired Gene Green?

Yeah, or even the entire Central Valley. Cardoza, Costa, Valadao, Pombo, and Nunes are all Portuguese, not Latino.

You don't have to be African American to be able to represent black voters, and an African American is very capable of representing white voters as well. That's the way it should be.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 11:46:22 PM »

Why was Michael Berman’s map so weird?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »

Why was Michael Berman’s map so weird?

It was maximum incumbent protection. The only seat that changed hands during the maps existence was Richard Pombo-Jerry McNerney. I think that says a lot about how sh**tty Pombo was.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2020, 11:54:30 PM »

Do you think Mark Reed would carpetbag and run against Sherman even if Reed’s residence was drawn out?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2020, 11:57:11 PM »

Do you think Mark Reed would carpetbag and run against Sherman even if Reed’s residence was drawn out?

Yes lol. He's pathological.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 12:01:05 AM »

Yes lol. He's pathological.
Many Republican candidate’s carpetbag into safe D districts. My district’s GOP nominee John Briscoe is also crazy. Who’s your GOP nominee, if any?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies