Do you prefer the German right (CDU/CSU) or the French right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you prefer the German right (CDU/CSU) or the French right?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you prefer the German right (CDU/CSU) or the French right in its various forms (UNR/UDR/UDF/RPR/UMP/LR/arguably LREM)?
German right (CDU/CSU)

French right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do you prefer the German right (CDU/CSU) or the French right?  (Read 919 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2020, 03:44:40 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2020, 04:01:44 PM by Lechasseur »

For me, the German right, both historically (since the creation of the FRG and of the CDU in 1949) and currently.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »

The German right after the end of the WW2 of course.

Hitler was worse than Petain.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »

The German right after the end of the WW2 of course.

Hitler was worse than Petain.
I don’t think that’s a disputed fact.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »

Germany has both a better left and a better right. Sorry Lechasseur Sad

(Though I will say Germany's left is very bad, it's just that France's left is absolutely abysmal)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Perhaps true, but Germany is not a superpower.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »

The CDU>>>>>>>>LePen and her anti-immigrant ilk, it's better than it was under LePen's father, but still a bad party, obvious CDU vote
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:07:50 AM »

CDU/CSU, easily
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:55:25 AM »

(Though I will say Germany's left is very bad, it's just that France's left is absolutely abysmal)

I agree with all that don't worry lol
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 03:08:42 AM »

The CDU>>>>>>>>LePen and her anti-immigrant ilk, it's better than it was under LePen's father, but still a bad party, obvious CDU vote

Fillon>>>>CDU though
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 03:09:46 AM »

If the French right means Macron, then I prefer Macron. He is impoverishing the French with his policies, whereas Merkel and co are impoverishing the whole of Europe in order to defend German privileges.

If the French right means Les Républicains, then I'd still prefer the French. They are just such a completely stereotypical cliché of what you think of French politicians as being that you can't help but be amused by them.

And finally, Le Pen and the RN are probably still less completely awful than the AfD
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 04:31:09 AM »

Fillon>>>>CDU though

Agreed, at least the Merkel CDU.

2007-2017 is the only period since the 1970s (at least) where I like the French right better than the German right.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:17 AM »

Fillon>>>>CDU though

Fillon, the guy who lectures people from his pedestal about family values and morality while stealing from public coffers? 
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 05:16:30 AM »

Macron>Merkel>Fillon.

The liberal Merkel circle jerk is ridiculous when she is the person who destroyed the livelihoods of people in various countries with here austerity policies and polices to entrench German privilege. Macron at least seems interested in the European ideal, even if he hates politics domestically aren't that good.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 05:57:41 AM »

It's interesting how the Atlas left seems to mostly be in agreement that Macron is better than Merkel over the Europe question.

I'm thinking if they lived in France they wouldn't be thinking the same.

In practice, I don't think Fillon would have been any more right-wing than Macron other than on the woke stuff/some social issues. Macron is our most economically right-wing president in the history of the Fifth Republic, and it isn't close. I don't think it's even politically possible to be further right on that question in France than Macron is. If anything, I think Fillon would have probably been more economically moderate in practice because a "true conservative" wouldn't have the same leeway that Macron does. On top of that, the left would probably still be a force here politically if Fillon was president so he'd have to take that into account. On top of that, law enforcement are much more strong armed to say the least now than they have been at any other time in my lifetime at the very least. On top of that, I believe the current French government actually has fairly decent relations with Russia (the archenemy of the American progressive, although on that front I'll admit Fillon may have been a bit closer to them), on that front Macron is no Hollande (Hollande was probably our most pro-American and anti-Russian president in the Fifth Republic).

One good right-wing thing about Macron though, he does see how bad these lockdowns can be for society overall so our quarantine ended on Monday and the restrictions will be progressively loosened.

Merkel if anything has probably been more progressive other than on Europe and some social/cultural issues. She's even more progressive on immigration than Macron is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 07:08:15 AM »

German, but only because the French right has been a grotesque abomination since Sarkozy took over it.

It's interesting how the Atlas left seems to mostly be in agreement that Macron is better than Merkel over the Europe question.

I'm French and I think that. Macron's EU policy is one of the very few things about him I like (although it's been direly ineffectual of course).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2020, 07:10:24 AM »

In practice, I don't think Fillon would have been any more right-wing than Macron other than on the woke stuff/some social issues. Macron is our most economically right-wing president in the history of the Fifth Republic, and it isn't close. I don't think it's even politically possible to be further right on that question in France than Macron is. If anything, I think Fillon would have probably been more economically moderate in practice because a "true conservative" wouldn't have the same leeway that Macron does. On top of that, the left would probably still be a force here politically if Fillon was president so he'd have to take that into account. On top of that, law enforcement are much more strong armed to say the least now than they have been at any other time in my lifetime at the very least. On top of that, I believe the current French government actually has fairly decent relations with Russia (the archenemy of the American progressive, although on that front I'll admit Fillon may have been a bit closer to them), on that front Macron is no Hollande (Hollande was probably our most pro-American and anti-Russian president in the Fifth Republic).

One good right-wing thing about Macron though, he does see how bad these lockdowns can be for society overall so our quarantine ended on Monday and the restrictions will be progressively loosened.

Merkel if anything has probably been more progressive other than on Europe and some social/cultural issues. She's even more progressive on immigration than Macron is.

Didn't Fillon campaign like a hardcore Thatcherite back in 2017?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »

German, but only because the French right has been a grotesque abomination since Sarkozy took over it.

I'm French and I think that. Macron's EU policy is one of the very few things about him I like (although it's been direly ineffectual of course).

I meant they like Macron better than Merkel pretty much solely because of Europe. Sorry if I phrased that wrong.

But yeah I agree Macron is for the most part better on Europe than Merkel. I don't disagree with you on that.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 07:48:11 AM »

Didn't Fillon campaign like a hardcore Thatcherite back in 2017?

Yeah, but ofc as you know, how you campaign and how you govern are 2 totally different things.

I really don't believe Fillon would have rocked the boat too much, he didn't have the political capital the way Macron does.

Macron can because his opposition is a joke and he has the press's support.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »

I voted German although if you Macron as French right I'd definitely vote French. But French right almost always means the Republicans and FN, so with them....easy one.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 01:34:43 PM »

CDU/CSU, very easily. The French Right sucks. Just as much as AfD sucks.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »

CDU/CSU
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »

CDU/CSU, very easily. The French Right sucks. Just as much as AfD sucks.
This. Tho Merz would easily suck as well.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 10:44:43 PM »

Right now, the German one.

Overall, French.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2020, 11:10:41 PM »

German. I'm going to bite the bullet and admit that I find Merkel less repellent overall than Macron, although I'm obviously not a fan of either.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 12:30:11 PM »

I Prefer the CDU but with that been said, I like Macron but will his party still be there in say 10 years?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies