Best Prime Minister of each French President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:21:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Best Prime Minister of each French President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Prime Minister of each French President  (Read 263 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
« edited: May 14, 2020, 04:50:56 AM by Lechasseur »

De Gaulle : he had two very good prime ministers in Michel Debré and Georges Pompidou, but I'll go with Pompidou.

Pompidou : not sure, maybe Chaban-Delmas?

Giscard : Raymond Barre

Mitterand : Edouard Balladur (out of PS prime ministers, Michel Rocard)

Chirac : clearly Lionel Jospin. He's the only one who really got anything done. Out of RPR/UMP prime ministers, probably Jean-Pierre Raffarin.

Hollande : I guess I'll go with Valls here. Not a fan of either, but he was more effective, for better or worse, and I'm probably a bit closer to him politically.

I didn't count Sarkozy or Macron because each only had one prime minister (for the moment).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:12:49 AM »

De Gaulle: Debré. Putting an end to the war in Algeria is something hopefully we can all get behind.

Pompidou: Chaban-Delmas. Best right-wing president we never had.

Giscard: UGHHHHHHHHH, I guess Barre.

Mitterrand: Rocard by far. Balladur over Chirac of course.

Chirac: Jospin by far. Out of the right-wingers, I guess Raffarin.

Hollande: Ayrault by default, as there was at least a semblance of leftism to his government's policies.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »

De Gaulle: Debré. Putting an end to the war in Algeria is something hopefully we can all get behind.

Pompidou: Chaban-Delmas. Best right-wing president we never had.

Giscard: UGHHHHHHHHH, I guess Barre.

Mitterrand: Rocard by far. Balladur over Chirac of course.

Chirac: Jospin by far. Out of the right-wingers, I guess Raffarin.

Hollande: Ayrault by default, as there was at least a semblance of leftism to his government's policies.

I need to look more into Debré and Pompidou. I'll do some reading on that this week.

I'll put Chaban-Delmas in the "best" category for Pompidou (Pompidou's second PM seemed rather anonymous) and Richard in Mitterrand's best PS PM (he seemed like the best to me, but if you think so too then he must have been).

And then for Chirac's RPR/UMP PMs, I guess I'll change for Raffarin as well. I was hesitating between Juppé and Raffarin but you're probably right. De Villepin is the one I like the least though.

And yeah I think we can agree that any 70s-90s right-wing PM who wasn't Chirac was better than Chirac.

Chirac imo was the most overrated politician of the first 50 years of the Fifth Republic. I think he was a good mayor of Paris but I don't think he was a particularly good politician on the national scene.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »

Chirac imo was the most overrated politician of the first 50 years of the Fifth Republic. I think he was a good mayor of Paris but I don't think he was a particularly good politician on the national scene.
To be fair, Chirac has probably benefited quite a bit by being compared to his successors.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »

I do feel a little nostalgic about him because he represents the last great pillars of the "golden age" of the Fifth Republic, before Sarko came along to wreck everything. But yeah, objectively he was a corrupt piece of sh*t who flip-flopped about everything in his career and ended up accomplishing almost nothing of value. I think most people would recognize that if you seriously probed them about the guy, but we like to conjure up a more sentimental image sometimes.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 01:54:45 PM »

I do feel a little nostalgic about him because he represents the last great pillars of the "golden age" of the Fifth Republic, before Sarko came along to wreck everything. But yeah, objectively he was a corrupt piece of sh*t who flip-flopped about everything in his career and ended up accomplishing almost nothing of value. I think most people would recognize that if you seriously probed them about the guy, but we like to conjure up a more sentimental image sometimes.

Well I think to a large degree if he's popular now it's because he's liked better than his successors and also due to the fact that his presidency were probably the best years France has known since the end of the Trente Glorieuses, but the latter didn't have anything to do with the fact he was president.

He definitely wasn't popular most of the time he was president and would have probably lost reelection had he been up against Jospin rather than Le Pen (and France would be better off now had Jospin won in 2002).

Also, ironically he seems more popular with the left than with the right now. I know quite a few left-wingers who think highly of him but not many right-wingers. That may just be my social circle though.

And yeah, I agree with everything you said about Chirac there. I'm no fan. He basically represented what was wrong with French politics.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 07:10:23 PM »

He definitely wasn't popular most of the time he was president and would have probably lost reelection had he been up against Jospin rather than Le Pen (and France would be better off now had Jospin won in 2002).

I'm really glad you think so. You might have seen in one of my AMA answers that I think very highly of Jospin. For a right-winger, you seem to be very respectful of some of France's prior left-wing politicians (and critical of right-wing ones). I really appreciate your perspective.

Also, ironically he seems more popular with the left than with the right now. I know quite a few left-wingers who think highly of him but not many right-wingers. That may just be my social circle though.

Probably a similar sentiment to Democrats who love George W. Bush now (the idea of missing the good old days where our opponents were respectable). Although I think liking Chirac as a leftist is a lot more defensible than liking someone as disastrous as Dubya.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 04:31:18 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 04:52:11 AM by Lechasseur »

I'm really glad you think so. You might have seen in one of my AMA answers that I think very highly of Jospin. For a right-winger, you seem to be very respectful of some of France's prior left-wing politicians (and critical of right-wing ones). I really appreciate your perspective.

Probably a similar sentiment to Democrats who love George W. Bush now (the idea of missing the good old days where our opponents were respectable). Although I think liking Chirac as a leftist is a lot more defensible than liking someone as disastrous as Dubya.

Well the "old" PS did have greats like Mitterrand, Jospin and Rocard for example.

Like I've said, even if I don't agree with him on everything, Mitterand was the president who best incarnated the role since De Gaulle.

And Jospin really did do stuff he believed would improve the average person's life (for example the 35 hour work week), and I believe he had what it took to be president.
On top of that, Jospin strikes me as a truly decent person.

Another former PS man I quite admire is Jean-Pierre Chevènement. Yet again, I might not agree with him on everything, but he's a very smart man who has his beliefs and sticks to them. He's also an incredibly nice person (I've met him in real life).

The PS, and the French left in general, doesn't have anyone like that today. Jospin and Chevènement were basically the last of the good left-wing politicians in France. The left since then had been awful. Now ofc there I'm just talking about the top figures. I know a fairly prominent former Green politician IRL and I very much like the person. It's a shame that you don't have more of the left like them.

But yeah what I said about the likes of Jospin and all doesn't extend to the batch of PS politicians I grew up having on the scene (I didn't really follow French politics until the 2007 campaign). When guys like Hollande ans Macron are what the current left has to offer, enough said (or otherwise you have Mélenchons or Martin O'Malley wannabes like Hamon). The French left arguably had the best bench of any Western European left for a long time, but that ended in the 2000s.

And then the French right hasn't been good for the most part in the last half century or so for the most part. We'll put it this way, I think the best right of centre French president since Pompidou died was probably Giscard. I think that tells you enough about the French right lol. Well Chirac was definitely way better on foreign policy, but outside of that aspect I'd personally take Sarkozy over Chirac. Neither were particularly nice people but at least Sarkozy didn't flip flop over everything.

I think a big issue with the French right in the last decades of the 20th century (and the reason the left stayed strong in France until the 2000s) was that you had the right-wing civil war between the UDF and the RPR. It was the "Guerre des chefs" moreso than any real ideological divide and I think that took quite a bit out of building a rightwing movement comparable to what you would have had elsewhere in Europe. I'd probably have been UDF myself because I like Giscard better than Chirac and sociologically I have more in common with those who used to be UDF voters I believe (although I'd need to verify that. On top of that, I don't like the Anglophobia of classical Gaullism myself (normal, Anglo). But the biggest thing is Gaullism stopped standing for anything under Chirac, Gaullism just became an electoral machine for him).

Then what I'll say between Bush and Chirac: Chirac was obviously by far the better president, but tbh I think Bush was the better person. I think Bush meant well but unfortunately surrounded himself with nasty people like Bush and Cheney who were supposed to "help" him. Chirac didn't do any damage to France but he was an opportunist who was ruthless in his quest for the presidency and then did nothing with it. And he didn't sound like a good guy outside of politics.

But I think the thing with Chirac being liked better by the left-wingers in my circle is that the only stuff that got done during the presidency was during the cohabitation, and thus quite progressive. Right-wingers see it as 12 lost years.

And to finish of what I said in my previous post, I think Jospin would have done more with his presidency than Chirac did. But the biggest reason I think France would be better of had Jospin won is because I think both the French right and the French left would be healthy today, unlike now where the right-wing of the PS (Macron) gets all the non-extreme voters just due to the fact there's no opposition to him other than RN. That isn't healthy and it isn't good for France.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 11:46:13 AM »

Regarding the French left, I agree that we've seen a dramatic decline in leadership quality since Jospin left. It really is a tragedy that he lost in 2002, and the fact that it was such an avoidable tragedy makes it all the worst. It's my first political memory, depressingly.

I do like Hamon a lot, though. He wasn't a very good politician, clearly, but IMO he was the only candidate with a clear vision for the challenges we're faces and a long-term project to address them. I was genuinely enthusiastic to vote for him and heartbroken that a populist blowhard like Mélenchon siphoned off his voters.

Regarding Chirac, I do think he had some personal qualities that you're overlooking. While it's true that he was ruthless with his political adversaries, I think most of the people who knew him testify that he had genuine warmth in his personal relationships and was generally a pleasant guy to be around. I'm not saying that makes up for his political vacuity, but it is something I can respect. Sarkozy by contrast comes across as an utterly toxic person, an angry entitled narcissist - and that's on top of his main political legacy being turning the French right into FN lite. I despise this man to no end.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies