2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:18:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin  (Read 41077 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 19, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »

How permissible, or for that matter doable, would it be to combine Dane and Waukesha counties , of course including Jefferson as well? Those Three Counties would surely be well over the population of a single District, but County splits are apparently permissible. Just thinking out loud.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »

How permissible, or for that matter doable, would it be to combine Dane and Waukesha counties , of course including Jefferson as well? Those Three Counties would surely be well over the population of a single District, but County splits are apparently permissible. Just thinking out loud.
lol no.

Care to elaborate?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »

lol no.

Yeah, something like this would be better:

I like it in theory, but those blue and yellow districts appear seriously underpopulated.

EDIT: one could perhaps balance out the blue District somewhat my taking in more of South Milwaukee as the orange District appears somewhat overpopulated, but it appears that the district would probably have to take in most if not all of Walworth County to even out.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

Ik they are close together and have relatively similar Demographics but they are different metroes (just keep WOW with WOW and Dane with some of its closer counties).

Like you said, they are geographically close and similar demographics. I don't see much more distinction between combining Dane with Waukesha County than Waukesha being stuffed in along with South Milwaukee County plus Racine and Kenosha Counties as is currently the case. I mean, honestly, I don't see much distinction between what Kesha being combined with Janesville like it currently is versus being combined with Madison.

Or if communities of Interest are really that big a thing to you, why don't we just compress the wow counties into a single District, or as close thereto as their population allows?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

Ik they are close together and have relatively similar Demographics but they are different metroes (just keep WOW with WOW and Dane with some of its closer counties).

Like you said, they are geographically close and similar demographics. I don't see much more distinction between combining Dane with Waukesha County than Waukesha being stuffed in along with South Milwaukee County plus Racine and Kenosha Counties as is currently the case. I mean, honestly, I don't see much distinction between what Kesha being combined with Janesville like it currently is versus being combined with Madison.

Or if communities of Interest are really that big a thing to you, why don't we just compress the wow counties into a single District, or as close thereto as their population allows?

I literally said compress WOW Into one district lol.

You didn't expressly mentioned compressing them into one District rather than keeping them generally together, but close enough I should have gathered the meeting I guess.

My point being is that I believe any Wisconsin Republican would fight. Turning the wow counties into a single Republican vote sink tooth-and-nail. Taking Waukehsa out of the 1st District turns it decidedly more purple almost regardless of which territories picked up to compensate for the population loss. The district could even go downright light red if that population is picked up from Milwaukee County.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »

lol no.

Yeah, something like this would be better:

I like it in theory, but those blue and yellow districts appear seriously underpopulated.

EDIT: one could perhaps balance out the blue District somewhat my taking in more of South Milwaukee as the orange District appears somewhat overpopulated, but it appears that the district would probably have to take in most if not all of Walworth County to even out.

Got it. That leg reaching up to Eau Claire is kind of ugly, but I can't say I object. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies