2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:04:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Wisconsin  (Read 41089 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »

Can't view it but your name is an oxymoron, no compromise map will have any competitive districts, unless if its just WI 3 to a degree.

You can make WI-01 competitive easily by taking in South Milwaukee (and indeed it'd even be a tilt/lean D district). Not sure if a compromise or bipartisan map would do that, but it is a possibility.

Anyways here is a quick, mostly fair map with 2 competitive districts. I will recognize this is probably one of the more Dem-friendly configurations that can still be defended that are not gerrymanders. Basically a 4R-2D-2S map.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/762f66fe-91cb-43ea-bb0b-7e6f8ebcb614

WI-01: Clinton+2, Evers+3, D+1
WI-02: Clinton+49, Evers+44, D+18
WI-03: Trump+3, Evers+4, D+1
WI-04: Clinton+38, Evers+34, D+17 (49% white, 35% black, 10% hispanic)
WI-05: Trump+28, Walker+33, R+16
WI-06: Trump+17, Walker+15, R+7
WI-07: Trump+19, Walker+14, R+7
WI-08: Trump+17, Walker+14, R+6

I suppose competitive districts are not in either party's favour though and both Republicans and Democrats would prefer a fixed 5R-3D map instead?
I said a compromise map, a court might draw your map but if somehow Evers and the Wi gop agrees to compromise they would focus on shoring up wisconsin 1 and 3
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2020, 12:03:28 PM »

I don't think a fair map or a compromise map splits Milwaukee.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »

I don't think a fair map or a compromise map splits Milwaukee.
Yeah my bad I assumed he meant the county of Milwaukee.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »

In fairness, even if you only split the county of Milwaukee (but not the city itself) the 1st district still (narrowly) remains a swing district, albeit now one that is more like Lean R (Both Trump and Walker win by around 4.5 points)

This does mean that the 4th district goes from 49 to 43% white (and up to 36% black).
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »

Yes of course, WI 1st should be somewhere around Trump +4 to Trump +1 while WI 3 would be around Trump +5 to 6 in a FAIR MAP.

Now a compromise map would shove WI 1st to safe R at trump +10 but perhaps move WI 3 to like Trump +2 or something.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 03:48:04 AM »

6-2 map.
1. Trump+13
2.  Clinton+38
3.  Trump+13
4.  Clinton+52
5.  Trump+20
6.  Trump+15
7.  Trump+15
8.  Trump+17
Walker wins the 6 Trump districts too.  Vukmir wins 4. 
All Republican incumbents should be safe, and Rep Kind is not necessarily DOA, he overperforms by a lot, but a serious challenge in just a neutral year could be enough to defeat him.  After all, Walker won his district by 8 on this map.  Baldwin only won it by 5. 
walleye26

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »

Thoughts on this competitive map? https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::39f05f2d-60ff-401a-8c49-58f53d04795a
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 09:45:22 AM »

Map not available.
walleye26

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »

Is there a reason? Do I have to turn on a setting or something?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »

How permissible, or for that matter doable, would it be to combine Dane and Waukesha counties , of course including Jefferson as well? Those Three Counties would surely be well over the population of a single District, but County splits are apparently permissible. Just thinking out loud.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »

How permissible, or for that matter doable, would it be to combine Dane and Waukesha counties , of course including Jefferson as well? Those Three Counties would surely be well over the population of a single District, but County splits are apparently permissible. Just thinking out loud.
lol no.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 01:05:02 PM by Gass3268 »

lol no.

Yeah, something like this would be better:

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 01:35:08 PM by lfromnj »

For what a Democrat gerrymander? lol
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »

lol no.

I like it in theory, but those blue and yellow districts appear seriously underpopulated.

EDIT: one could perhaps balance out the blue District somewhat my taking in more of South Milwaukee as the orange District appears somewhat overpopulated, but it appears that the district would probably have to take in most if not all of Walworth County to even out.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

Ik they are close together and have relatively similar Demographics but they are different metroes (just keep WOW with WOW and Dane with some of its closer counties).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

Ik they are close together and have relatively similar Demographics but they are different metroes (just keep WOW with WOW and Dane with some of its closer counties).

Like you said, they are geographically close and similar demographics. I don't see much more distinction between combining Dane with Waukesha County than Waukesha being stuffed in along with South Milwaukee County plus Racine and Kenosha Counties as is currently the case. I mean, honestly, I don't see much distinction between what Kesha being combined with Janesville like it currently is versus being combined with Madison.

Or if communities of Interest are really that big a thing to you, why don't we just compress the wow counties into a single District, or as close thereto as their population allows?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

Like you said, they are geographically close and similar demographics. I don't see much more distinction between combining Dane with Waukesha County than Waukesha being stuffed in along with South Milwaukee County plus Racine and Kenosha Counties as is currently the case. I mean, honestly, I don't see much distinction between what Kesha being combined with Janesville like it currently is versus being combined with Madison.

Or if communities of Interest are really that big a thing to you, why don't we just compress the wow counties into a single District, or as close thereto as their population allows?

I literally said compress WOW Into one district lol.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »

Here we go for South Wisconsin. The small 3rd chop of Milwaukee is only 1k people btw and not a partisan decision, just felt River hills fits better in the suburban district, if you all really want to start an argument then we can move it back in Milwaukee county. Either is fine.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 02:04:36 PM »

lol no.

I like it in theory, but those blue and yellow districts appear seriously underpopulated.

EDIT: one could perhaps balance out the blue District somewhat my taking in more of South Milwaukee as the orange District appears somewhat overpopulated, but it appears that the district would probably have to take in most if not all of Walworth County to even out.

Just ignore the SE districts, I mainly wanted to show what you could do with WI-02 and then in return WI-03.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

You didn't expressly mentioned compressing them into one District rather than keeping them generally together, but close enough I should have gathered the meeting I guess.

My point being is that I believe any Wisconsin Republican would fight. Turning the wow counties into a single Republican vote sink tooth-and-nail. Taking Waukehsa out of the 1st District turns it decidedly more purple almost regardless of which territories picked up to compensate for the population loss. The district could even go downright light red if that population is picked up from Milwaukee County.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »

lol no.

Care to elaborate?

You didn't expressly mentioned compressing them into one District rather than keeping them generally together, but close enough I should have gathered the meeting I guess.

My point being is that I believe any Wisconsin Republican would fight. Turning the wow counties into a single Republican vote sink tooth-and-nail. Taking Waukehsa out of the 1st District turns it decidedly more purple almost regardless of which territories picked up to compensate for the population loss. The district could even go downright light red if that population is picked up from Milwaukee County.

Well yes my map is Trump +4.5 there. And only split one city in Milwaukee county.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »

lol no.

Got it. That leg reaching up to Eau Claire is kind of ugly, but I can't say I object. Tongue
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2020, 02:59:56 PM by Storr »

My general thoughts on Wisconsin redistricting:

1. Milwaukee County should only be split once (as it necessarily must due to having a population greater than 750k). Being split among four districts like it is currently, is ridiculous.

2. I like the general setup Wisconsin has had since at least the 70s of a Milwaukee seat (formerly two),  Janesville-Racine district, Madison district, Driftless district, Northwest district, Green Bay District, WOW district, and a Mid-Wisconsin District.

3. If Wisconsin loses a seat due to the census, I'm guessing the one cut would be the 5th (Driftless) or the 7th (Northwest) since they are the most rural and easily divvied among the rest.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »

Doesn’t Wisconsin likely get 7?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies