2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:30:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 88964 times)
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:38:21 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2021, 11:41:49 PM by khuzifenq »

Wrt: the yellow district, is it ok to not have an Asian seat in San Jose? The Green district is only plurality. I know the California metrics are pretty aggressive about making minority districts. (FYI, it's very hard to make a majority asian Green district without some population shifted out of the central valley.)

I was baffled by the creation of an Asian district in the first place ten years ago; there is no "Asian community" to speak of (Vietnamese in east San Jose have nothing in particular in common with Indians and Chinese in Cupertino and Fremont) and Asian candidates have no difficulty being elected in districts without Asian majorities. From the standpoint of good governance, I would personally prefer that Asian-majority districts not created unless completely necessary, because doing so invites communalist politics (as in the case of the BJP candidate who ran against Ro Khanna last year).

Funnily enough, I've mentioned this as well, but generally once something like that has been done it will not be undone barring extreme circumstances (such as the bleeding of AA population from South Los Angeles). It's also better to divide the SGV by their corresponding commute corridors but due to the nature of the commission, it is instead divided along racial lines.

Current CA-32 would probably still be majority Latino if it included Glendora and/or Claremont. Current CA-27 might also have a more solid Asian plurality in that case.

支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »

Did a full redistricting attempt for Cali based on Re: Draw a district challenge: Whites in 4th place. 34 Safe D, 3 Safe R, 15 competitive- 10 of which are in SoCal. This was a deliberate D gerrymander of Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties. I would've liked the district boundaries to correspond more closely to county and municipal boundaries.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::f7f11071-3203-4611-80a7-1dd4df6500f7

#1: "Whites in 4th place and <10% of resident pop" attempt for the Bay Area. Contains all of the heavily Black areas in the East Bay from Richmond (Contra Costa) through Oakland (Alameda) and the heavily Asian areas down to Milpitas and NE-most San Jose (Santa Clara).

Resident population is 28.0% Latino, 18.4% Black, 38.3% Asian, and 15.6% (Non-Hispanic) White. CVAP is 19.9-21.2% White/Black/Latino and 35.4% Asian.

Spoiler alert: Bay Area

Spoiler alert: SoCal 1

#13: "Whites in 4th place and <10% of resident pop" district for the LA suburbs. Includes portions of South-Central LA proper, Inglewood, Gardena, Torrance, Carson, Long Beach, Cerritos, Buena Park (in Orange County), Fullerton, westernmost Anaheim, western Garden Grove, and Westminster's Little Saigon district.

Resident population is 33.6% Latino, 28.5% Black, 28.4% Asian, and 9.7% (Non-Hispanic) White, CVAP is 24.6% Latino, 33.1% Black, 27.9% Asian, and 12.7% (Non-Hispanic) White.

Spoiler alert: SoCal 2

Spoiler alert: SoCal 3

Spoiler alert: rest of state 1

Spoiler alert: rest of state 2

Spoiler alert: SoCal 4

支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:41:26 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2021, 10:47:49 PM by Oregonians4Wu »

Did a full redistricting attempt for Cali based on Re: Draw a district challenge: Whites in 4th place. 34 Safe D, 3 Safe R, 15 competitive- 10 of which are in SoCal. This was a deliberate D gerrymander of Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties. I would've liked the district boundaries to correspond more closely to county and municipal boundaries.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::f7f11071-3203-4611-80a7-1dd4df6500f7

#1: "Whites in 4th place and <10% of resident pop" attempt for the Bay Area. Contains all of the heavily Black areas in the East Bay from Richmond (Contra Costa) through Oakland (Alameda) and the heavily Asian areas down to Milpitas and NE-most San Jose (Santa Clara).

Resident population is 28.0% Latino, 18.4% Black, 38.3% Asian, and 15.6% (Non-Hispanic) White. CVAP is 19.9-21.2% White/Black/Latino and 35.4% Asian.

#13: "Whites in 4th place and <10% of resident pop" district for the LA suburbs. Includes portions of South-Central LA proper, Inglewood, Gardena, Torrance, Carson, Long Beach, Cerritos, Buena Park (in Orange County), Fullerton, westernmost Anaheim, western Garden Grove, and Westminster's Little Saigon district.

Resident population is 33.6% Latino, 28.5% Black, 28.4% Asian, and 9.7% (Non-Hispanic) White, CVAP is 24.6% Latino, 33.1% Black, 27.9% Asian, and 12.7% (Non-Hispanic) White.

Updated version that reflects population shifts from 2019 estimates to 2020 census results: https://davesredistricting.org/join/5b7683e4-3262-4942-8387-f5593908e421

Original version (2019 population, 2016-2020 composite): 46 D-leaning, 6 R-leaning
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

New version (2020 population, 2016-2020 composite): also 46 D-leaning, 6 R-leaning, except Inyo County is now in a (Lean?) D district.

New District #1: Resident population is 28.2% Latino, 17.0% Black, 39.7% Asian, and 15.0% (Non-Hispanic) White. CVAP is 25.6% Latino, 17.0% Black, 40.0% Asian, and 16.7% (Non-Hispanic) White.

New District #13: Resident population is 34.5% Latino, 28.3% Black, 28.3% Asian, and 9.4% (Non-Hispanic) White. CVAP is 31.5% Latino, 28.6% Black, 29.2% Asian, and 10.5% (Non-Hispanic) White.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »

Did they actually chop the Santa Ana Anaheim seat?

They did and it is completely unacceptable. Fountain Valley and Santa Ana in the same district is ridiculous.
Why?

They’re neighboring suburbs/cities with very different socioeconomic profiles. Fountain Valley is affluent and R-leaning, Santa Ana is working-class and strongly D.

It’s great if you want to gerrymander the shiite out of SoCal like I did in my “draw a LAX suburban district that’s <10% non-Hispanic white” CA map. Actually I wonder if my map inspired that lmao

支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »

Uh I wouldn’t exactly call Kim’s district a GOP vote sink; looks like it only went to Trump by 5 or so. Steele’s looks like Biden + 4ish and Porter like Biden + 14 or smtg

That is a GOP vote sink by Orange County/Young Kim standards. Young Kim currently represents a Biden +10 district where she won by 1.2, and Orange County in general and Northeast OC/Korean-American Southeast LA were both favorable/very favorable to ticket-splitting in 2020, so giving Kim a Trump seat of any kind, let alone a Trump +5 one, is a "sink."

Yeah there’s no way that Eastern Orange County + Yorba Linda + Chino Hills district isn’t a R vote sink
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:49:01 PM »

Sadhwani is the obvious Dem hack on the commission.

snip
Seems like a large part of her map proposal came from this one.

The Orange County to Long Beach and Orange County to Central Los Angeles districts are pretty funny. What kind of community of interest includes Northeast Orange County and Urban Los Angeles in one district?

I don’t think the light blue district extends into Orange County. It seems to stop at the county line. The dark brown district looks like the new CA-39 and seems centered on the more hilly, more suburban tripoint between Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 06:18:59 PM »

A century ago, Dr. Yee’s ancestors left southern China for “Gum Saan” (“Gold Mountain”). They settled in Oakland, where his parents and then he and his brothers were all born and raised.

He graduated from Oakland High School, UC Berkeley (BS), Dallas Theological Seminary (ThM), and the Graduate Theological Union (PhD), where his research focused on sociolinguistic aspects of liturgical and free worship. He has taught mostly for Fuller Theological Seminary and especially enjoys teaching his class on Oakland for St. Mary’s College.

He’s the author of Worship on the Way (2012), which explores worship in Asian and South East Asian North American churches. He pastored a church for ten years and is active in his present multicultural church community, which wrestles tangibly with matters of social justice, class & race, cultural contextualization, community redevelopment, crime & safety, recovery, re-entry, and homelessness.

He’s a longtime history docent at the Oakland Museum of California, with a special interest in the state’s indigenous peoples. He was the first board secretary for Habitat for Humanity East Bay (now East Bay/Silicon Valley). An avid marathon runner, he volunteers with Running for a Better Oakland, a youth sports and scholarship program.

He lives in Oakland with his wife, Dr. Lisa Yee, who is a physician at a community health center. He is registered with the Republican Party.

A "Republican" who "wrestles tangibly with matters of social justice, class & race, cultural contextualization, community redevelopment, crime & safety, recovery, re-entry, and homelessness."

I intentionally didn't mention any of the Democrats here but when 2 of your independents are openly very left wing and one of your Republicans is clearly a Republican-In-Name-Only it should be no surprise that the commission is drawing maps like this.

None of these are necessarily partisan issues. These are all legit issues R candidates will have to deal with if they want to become more competitive in currently D-leaning districts.

Now, admittedly, Republicans might still win some of those 43 blue seats in 2022 -- ie, SAVANAANA and NOCOAST, and SAVANAANA I could see getting redder by the end of the decade, but this is definitely a D leaning map.

Why do you think it will get redder?

Yeah I can't see the Westminster-Garden Grove district in this map trending R over the long term, given that the local 2016-2020 R swing was almost entirely due to one-time increased turnout rather than Biden losing raw votes from HRC.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 01:38:06 AM »

Now, admittedly, Republicans might still win some of those 43 blue seats in 2022 -- ie, SAVANAANA and NOCOAST, and SAVANAANA I could see getting redder by the end of the decade, but this is definitely a D leaning map.

Why do you think it will get redder?

Yeah I can't see the Westminster-Garden Grove district in this map trending R over the long term, given that the local 2016-2020 R swing was almost entirely due to one-time increased turnout rather than Biden losing raw votes from HRC.

I'd be wary of building analysis around Biden having more votes than HRC considering that that was true basically everywhere in the country, and for both parties -- ie, Trump got more votes in Morris County NJ in 2020 than 2016, but that doesn't mean the county isn't trending left.

The 2016-2020 trend in that area won't repeat itself next cycle because the additional marginal voters the R candidate would need to pick up for that probably don't exist. Nor can I see Trump flipping lots of people who voted against him once or twice if he runs a third time.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 11:28:38 AM »

Is the Garden Grove district on the latest map CA-39 or CA-48?

CA-45 in CalamityBlue’s screenshots
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2022, 02:32:11 AM by Kamala's side hoe »

What exactly is the COI of this district? Not rlly an expert on Cali geography tbh, but I’m not rlly grasping it.

Majority Asian-American (and mostly Chinese IIRC) seat in the San Gabriel Valley.

I have an Alhambra + Arcadia centered Chinese district (#11), with the (East) Asian-heavy area near the borders with Orange and San Bernardino Counties split among a Downey-Hacienda Heights district (#50), a Covina-Pomona-Chino Hills [SB] district (#48), and the alternate version of Young Kim's district that stretches down to Irvine [Orange] (#12) in my SoCal D gerrymander/“whites in 4th place district with 2020 data” map. I love how DRA has a racial dots feature now with both VAP and general population options.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::5b7683e4-3262-4942-8387-f5593908e421
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies