2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 90786 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: June 25, 2020, 01:15:09 AM »

Going back a few posts, if you have to draw OC without an OC-SD split, I'd go for something like this. It destroys the Asian opportunity district (which is nice to have but not a requirement) and splits part of Fullerton around to Irvine, but at least it doesn't have districts connecting two disparate built-up areas (for example, Oceanside and San Clemente or Yorba Lina and Corona). For the record, the South OC district is Trump+1 (so likely D) and the Irvine-Yorba Linda district is Clinton+3 (so safe D).

Edit: I could bring Huntington and Newport into the South OC seat, move Mission Viejo and Ladera Ranch into the Irvine seat, and push Yorba Linda into the Fullerton seat to restore the Asian Belt district, but I'm unconvinced Coastal OC is a stronger COI than South OC. I think in many ways, Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, and Newport Beach belong together more strongly than San Clemente and Huntington Beach. It is easy to view Irvine as a sort of barrier separating South OC from the rest of the county. Thoughts?

Yup, I reconfigured it. At the risk of sounding like ERM64man, which of these mostly similar ways of configuring coastal Orange County is better? The Asian Belt seat is only 35% Asian (against 40% white) but at least it exists in this version. Partisanship is essentially unchanged.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #751 on: June 25, 2020, 01:25:09 AM »

The second map is far superior from a COI perspective.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #752 on: June 25, 2020, 04:43:13 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 10:50:01 PM by 🌐 »

Well, I'm sold on the new OC configuration so I changed my whole Southern CA map around. Most districts remain the same, but some need to be shifted. I think it improves some of the lines in San Diego and Riverside quite a bit, and I only have one SD cut.

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #753 on: June 25, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2020, 09:04:25 AM by ERM64man »

Updated. I paired Temecula with San Diego County while staying out of the San Diego suburbs. My new CA-48 respects San Diego suburb city lines. the CoI for CA-48 is rural areas. It largely stays out of the OC-SD suburbs.

San Diego:

Los Angeles:

Central Valley:

Bay Area:

Orange:

Emerald Coast and Jefferson:

High Desert:

Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #754 on: June 25, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »

Updated. I paired Temecula with San Diego County while staying out of the San Diego suburbs. My new CA-48 respects San Diego suburb city lines. the CoI for CA-48 is rural areas. It largely stays out of the OC-SD suburbs.

San Diego:

Los Angeles:

Central Valley:

Bay Area:

Orange:

Emerald Coast and Jefferson:

High Desert:

Seems decent, but in the Sac area, it appears you put Antelope and Citrus Heights with the urban district, but an inner ring suburb would be a better pairing.  Also, is the Corona district basically a continuation of the current?  
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #755 on: June 25, 2020, 03:35:39 PM »

Seems decent, but in the Sac area, it appears you put Antelope and Citrus Heights with the urban district, but an inner ring suburb would be a better pairing.  Also, is the Corona district basically a continuation of the current?  
Corona is basically unchanged. West Sacramento and Citrus Heights are both inner ring suburbs. It’s fine to place them with city proper. My map is 45D-7R.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #756 on: June 25, 2020, 05:32:18 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 05:55:06 PM by Oryxslayer »

Took the advice of Blairite and Oryx. I'm not happy with district 18 at all, but I think it's a little better than the one on Blairite's map. I'm also a little bothered by some of the groupings for CA-14... I'm open to making some more changes as needed.

CA-12 is plurality Asian, as is CA-17. CA-14 is majority Asian, and CA-15 is plurality Hispanic, but plurality Asian by CVAP (fairly evenly distributed between White, Asian, and Hispanic).

I can probably ditch the majority Asian district to clean up the map from a COI standpoint. I don't think any districts here are VRA protected per Gingles, as there is no demonstrated bloc voting in the bay. Asian isn't even a good grouping, as East Asians and South Asians arent a unified group at all.

First off - I am happy that someone got the Monterray cut to work. every way so far presented ended up in a way that didn't work when factoring in other COIs. SLO is with the Salinas Valley seat, yes?

Second - is it possible for you to do a clockwise rotation in Conta Costa? I can't do the pop math from here.Put Richmond which has some AAs with Berkeley to assist AA Access, send the Vallejo seat west towards Pittsburgh-Bay Point and make it a delta seat, and them make the Tri-Valley seat clean up the Morana cut and maybe east from the Castro Valley area if more pop is needed.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #757 on: June 25, 2020, 06:23:47 PM »

Which pairing of Temecula is better, OC south hills-Temecula Fallbrook, or Hemet-Temecula-Fallbrook? Hemet-Temecula-Fallbrook requires a Corona-OC south hills split, while OC south hills-Temecula-Fallbrook requires a three-way split for one seat and Riverside-only for the other.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #758 on: June 25, 2020, 06:30:56 PM »

Which pairing of Temecula is better, OC south hills-Temecula Fallbrook, or Hemet-Temecula-Fallbrook? Hemet-Temecula-Fallbrook requires a Corona-OC south hills split, while OC south hills-Temecula-Fallbrook requires a three-way split for one seat and Riverside-only for the other.

Don't do OC-Riverside.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #759 on: June 25, 2020, 07:11:05 PM »

Hemet-Temecula-Fallbrook WITHOUT an OC-Corona seat.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #760 on: June 25, 2020, 07:17:26 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 09:57:24 PM by ERM64man »

I have to do either OC-Corona or OC-Fallbrook-Temecula because I put Irvine in Rouda's district. Is OC-Fallbrook-Temecula still better than OC-Corona?

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #761 on: June 25, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »

I have to do either OC-Corona or OC-Fallbrook-Temecula because I put Irvine in Rouda's district. Is OC-Fallbrook-Temecula still better than OC-Corona?

Hey look, it's my old lines for SD!

I say old because I'll be posting my new SoCal stuff tomorrow.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #762 on: June 25, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »

Should I re-do the Santa Clara districts even if it means losing an Asian-majority seat?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #763 on: June 25, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »

Since CA-47 has two incumbents, might Rouda take CA-44 because he already represents Huntington Beach and Garden Grove?

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #764 on: June 25, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »

OC-Corona is less horrible, but you should change what you did with Irvine instead. It isn't worth it.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #765 on: June 25, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »

OC-Corona is less horrible, but you should change what you did with Irvine instead. It isn't worth it.
Irvine isn’t split. What’s wrong with it?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #766 on: June 25, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »

You should split it so you don't have to do OC-Riverside County. That's the one Southern California county pairing that's really never justified.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #767 on: June 25, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »

Should I re-do the Santa Clara districts even if it means losing an Asian-majority seat?

Probably. If you can get both CA-14 and CA-15 above 40% Asian CVAP, that would be ideal. Usually, I'd suggest pushing into Fremont and Union City with one of the Asian districts but that would mess up your Monterey/Santa Cruz configuration which you seem quite set on.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #768 on: June 25, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »

You should split it so you don't have to do OC-Riverside County. That's the one Southern California county pairing that's really never justified.
Is OC-Fallbrook-Temecula worse than OC-Corona?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #769 on: June 25, 2020, 10:32:19 PM »

Probably. If you can get both CA-14 and CA-15 above 40% Asian CVAP, that would be ideal. Usually, I'd suggest pushing into Fremont and Union City with one of the Asian districts but that would mess up your Monterey/Santa Cruz configuration which you seem quite set on.

Yeah, I can get them both easily above 40% and it looks a lot cleaner. CA-12, CA-14, CA-15, and CA-17 are all Asian plurality.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #770 on: June 25, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »

Which of these configurations is better?

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #771 on: June 25, 2020, 10:34:15 PM »

Yep. Connecting two spread out areas via Camp Pendleton is pretty awkward, and if you start to take in some of Oceanside you won't have much of South OC left to work with. Again, there are alternatives to OC-Riverside. When splitting OC, these are the cuts from best to worst:

1. La Habra/Fullerton/Buena Park/Cypress to SE LA County.
2. San Clemente/San Juan Capistrano to Oceanside
3. Seal Beach/Huntington Beach to Long Beach
4. Fullerton/Brea/Yorba Linda to Puente Hills/Walnut
5. Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills to Corona
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #772 on: June 25, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 10:50:49 PM by 🌐 »

Which of these configurations is better?

In general, I much prefer the second to the first but that Lassen-Gold Country seat hurts.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #773 on: June 25, 2020, 10:38:17 PM »

Yep. Connecting two spread out areas via Camp Pendleton is pretty awkward, and if you start to take in some of Oceanside you won't have much of South OC left to work with. Again, there are alternatives to OC-Riverside. When splitting OC, these are the cuts from best to worst:

I'm not taking in Oceanside. Is the combination of OC-Corona and Temecula-Fallbrook not nearly as bad as a Riverside-only seat and OC-Temecula-Fallbrook combination?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #774 on: June 25, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »

I'm not taking in Oceanside. Is the combination of OC-Corona and Temecula-Fallbrook not nearly as bad as a Riverside-only seat and OC-Temecula-Fallbrook combination?

Going from OC-SD-Temecula is terrible, Oceanside or not. OC-Corona is better, but still a bad choice.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies