2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:09:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89065 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »

Is Lowenthal the only one other than Napolitano who doesn't have a district?

Basically, although I only cut one district. Lowenthal's was just really heavily shifted into OC. Some others don't resemble current districts at all though, particularly in the Central Valley.
Would Lowenthal likely retire? He will be 82, and his district loses Long Beach to Barragan.

Definitely. I expect Napolitano and Lowenthal to retire, with a new OC based rep taking over the new Asian Belt district and the bulk of Napolitano's district becoming part of Cisneros'.
What's the PVI of the district Lowenthal probably vacates?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »

Basically, although I only cut one district. Lowenthal's was just really heavily shifted into OC. Some others don't resemble current districts at all though, particularly in the Central Valley.
Would Lowenthal likely retire? He will be 82, and his district loses Long Beach to Barragan.

Definitely. I expect Napolitano and Lowenthal to retire, with a new OC based rep taking over the new Asian Belt district and the bulk of Napolitano's district becoming part of Cisneros'.

The OC Asian belt one?
Clinton+21.

It's a safe Dem seat.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2020, 03:46:34 PM »

The OC Asian belt one?
Clinton+21.

It's a safe Dem seat.
I meant Cook PVI. Is it more or less Democratic than the current CA-47? Would it likely elect an Asian candidate?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »

Cook PVI is pretty useless. If it's Clinton +21 it doesn't matter what the Romney vote was. If it's Clinton +5, it also probably doesn't matter if it was Romney +5.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »

Cook PVI is pretty useless. If it's Clinton +21 it doesn't matter what the Romney vote was. If it's Clinton +5, it also probably doesn't matter if it was Romney +5.
Is current CA-47 Clinton +32?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2020, 04:30:32 PM »

Is current CA-47 Clinton +32?
Yes.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2020, 04:55:57 PM »

Would an Asian Democrat likely be Lowenthal's successor under this map?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »

Did you draw out Khanna lol
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »

CA-17 is an abomination; there is no way it continues to exist in it's current form.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »

On to serious discussion

The California Redistricting Commission has selected the final 60 names: 20 of each pool from which the final commissioners will be selected. You can access the lists here:

Republicans
Democrats
Unaffiliated

With these fairly detailed lists, we can begin to discern the shape of the commission. The most common characteristic of everyone is their comfortable income. This is unsurprising - those most willing to participate in redistricting are stable enough to give up time to political activism.

Demographically, the ethnic distribution is what one would expect but with some exceptions. The democrats have more minorities than whites, and the opposite is true for the GOP. The biggest demographic standout is in the Indie group, which is very diverse. It also has a lot of Asians, and we know how that group has moved in the past 4 years. It leads on to potentially conclude that there are D-leaners in both the GOP group and especially in the Indie pool considering the nature of the coalitions. This however should be unsurprising given California's Trend.

The most interesting thing though are the cross-cutting geographic identities selected by the California commission. There are A LOT of Bay Area Republicans, and Los Angeles dominates the democratic pool. This has seems to have been done to temper partisan attachment to ones home region - Bay Area republicans have nothing to present for the GOP in the region, and LA democrats are surrounded by more democrats and will be more concerned with ethnic communities. The problem I am sensing though is that the playing field is not level; this is California and the California Democratic Party has more tools at their disposal. If the Republican contingency is dominated by NorCal, then they won't have the on-the-ground knowledge that would help them preserve Red opportunities in Orange and her environs. I you only have a birds eye view then you may just see a Blue OC and consider it lost.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »

Does this mean an OC district electing an Asian candidate (Garden Grove Democratic councilor) might very well happen?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »

The legislature picks the first ten, then the commissioners select the next four, I believe.

The Republicans are never going to truly represent their party base here. The education levels sought do not align with your typical conservative voter.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2020, 12:37:38 PM »

It was also noted online that there are only two selected individuals from the Monterray/Central-Coast region: one Dem, one Unaffiliated - both Hispanic. The analysis noted that one of those two will likely be selected in order to ensure that region has a voice.

Glancing over the lists it also appears there are only two selected individuals from the 'Jefferson' part of the state: one Republican from Shasta and one Unaffiliated from Humboldt. One will probably be selected. Considering that unaffiliated voter is almost certainly a 'too hippy for the Democratic Party' (given Humbolt's tradition for this sort of thing) that's probably a vote of support against a Republican plans. This is what I mean by the CA dems having an unequal amount of resources and influence because of their size, meaning that a Bay Area GOP delegation might end up outplayed.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »

Not intentionally. I assume he'd just run in that Hayward-Fremont-Milpitas district.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »

It was also noted online that there are only two selected individuals from the Monterray/Central-Coast region: one Dem, one Unaffiliated - both Hispanic. The analysis noted that one of those two will likely be selected in order to ensure that region has a voice.

Glancing over the lists it also appears there are only two selected individuals from the 'Jefferson' part of the state: one Republican from Shasta and one Unaffiliated from Humboldt. One will probably be selected. Considering that unaffiliated voter is almost certainly a 'too hippy for the Democratic Party' (given Humbolt's tradition for this sort of thing) that's probably a vote of support against a Republican plans. This is what I mean by the CA dems having an unequal amount of resources and influence because of their size, meaning that a Bay Area GOP delegation might end up outplayed.

The GOP shouldn't have an equal voice simply because they exist (barely). There's a reason Democratic candidates have been getting between 60 and 100% statewide lately. The fact that they are even allowed to participate is a larger role than they would have had without the current commission.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »

The GOP shouldn't have an equal voice simply because they exist (barely). There's a reason Democratic candidates have been getting between 60 and 100% statewide lately. The fact that they are even allowed to participate is a larger role than they would have had without the current commission.
Pass another ballot if you want to gerrymander 52-0 California.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »

I don't believe in gerrymandering.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »

So then what are you asking for?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »

There is no need for crocodile tears about the plight of the poor, disadvantaged Republicans.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »

There is no need for crocodile tears about the plight of the poor, disadvantaged Republicans.
So what's your solution to gerrymandering?
What do you want California to do.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »

I don't have a problem with the way California does things.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »

For all those who use this thread, posting any ideas/requests you have for dealing with the multitude of CA threads in the 2020 master thread (linked in quote) would be appreciated.

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »

I don't have a problem with the way California does things.

Yep. It produces fair maps and should be the norm nationwide.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »

CA-45 has many malls. Is that important to a COI?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »

For all those who use this thread, posting any ideas/requests you have for dealing with the multitude of CA threads in the 2020 master thread (linked in quote) would be appreciated.

Finally got around to getting the directory up to date. Again, if I missed something, please let me know.

Also, we probably need to do something about the mess that is the California threads. At the moment I can find at least two general "California redistricting" thread, an OC thread, an LA County thread, and a "Southern California redistricting" thread. At the minimum, I think, we don't need both CA general threads separate; for the specific ones either combine them all into a SoCal thread or get rid of the SoCal thread and split its posts between the LA and OC threads.

Will flag this to the mods shortly but would appreciate input about how people would like this organized.

I dunno what should be done, but ERM64man should be discouraged from starting new threads (they are mostly all his) when the point of a master thread is to serve as an umbrella for all covered topics.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies