2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 91427 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:02 PM »

Can Riverside be paired with Imperial without splitting San Diego with Riverside?

Yep. Just look at Oryx's map on page 19.
I saw it, but noticed it contains so many other odd splits. Is there any other way to do it?
Not really, although his, uh, interesting incarnation of outlying San Diego/South OC inspired me to re-do my map. I condensed the near-suburbs of San Diego and tossed the rancher junk in with Temecula.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #526 on: June 18, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »

Can Riverside be paired with Imperial without splitting San Diego with Riverside?

I saw it, but noticed it contains so many other odd splits. Is there any other way to do it?
Not really, although his, uh, interesting incarnation of outlying San Diego/South OC inspired me to re-do my map. I condensed the near-suburbs of San Diego and tossed the rancher junk in with Temecula.

That is odd. The Oryx map was a little odd. For Vargas' district, do you prefer snake to Imperial, snail district, or other?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #527 on: June 18, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=373117.msg7412561#msg7412561 date=1592527969 uid=16104

I hate that district almost as much as the Burbank-Beverly Hills district.

Yeah. I don't like it much either, but the relevant takeaway is that Imperial+the Coachella Valley can be one district, you can keep the Inland Empire self-contained, and you can attach the remaining balance of San Diego to South Orange County. I prefer to split off Oceanside, San Marcos, Vista, and Encinitas instead of drawing a weird Escondido to Mission Viejo snake but the broader point remains clear.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #528 on: June 18, 2020, 08:40:59 PM »

Yeah, ideally the 80Kish of rural San Diego goes with Ranching Riverside, I just couldn't find a way to get it in there without either leading to the HVAP seats losing their potential VAP majorities or producing other oddities. That or you try for something else along the coast since the South Hills in OC don't really belong with urban Oceanside-Carlsbad. We'll see what happens to my map during the cycle, since a lot can change during the process.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2020, 08:47:44 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2020, 12:23:57 PM by ERM64man »

Does my South County district meow? Do you get the joke?

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #530 on: June 18, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 10:05:41 PM by Sev »

Oryx, it's your turn to criticize the hell out of my map.

The 0.68% population deviation is within the 0.75% threshold tolerated by the courts.
Four districts lean Republican, 44 lean Democratic, and four fall in the 48–52% competitive range.
There are twenty eight majority-minority districts. (Thirty eight by total population).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »

Do not connect SF and Marin. Just don't.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2020, 10:05:20 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 10:28:18 PM by Sev »

Do not connect SF and Marin. Just don't.

I really didn't want to. What's a good work around without disrupting any minority districts?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2020, 10:34:12 PM »

Oryx, it's your turn to criticize the hell out of my map.

The 0.68% population deviation is within the 0.75% threshold tolerated by the courts.
Four districts lean Republican, 44 lean Democratic, and four fall in the 48–52% competitive range.
There are twenty eight majority-minority districts. (Thirty eight by total population).

Show me the demo data. Screenshot it, link it, or type it out. If you don't want to link the rest of your map, that's fine, just copy the file, rename it, then erase everything you don't want to show.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2020, 10:43:20 PM »

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2020, 10:48:13 PM »

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2020, 12:02:13 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 10:20:39 PM by ERM64man »

Updated my second map.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2020, 02:14:13 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2020, 03:20:20 AM by 🌐 »

I really like it. I think if you're going to make any other changes you should consider reworking the SGV districts.

Updated:

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #538 on: June 19, 2020, 02:15:41 AM »

That looks really nice. Is district 36 an Asian opportunity or is it too Hispanic?

I was playing around earlier and found that you can draw two Asian plurality districts in Orange County if you utilize Diamond Bar and Irvine properly...super ugly though and really unnecessary.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2020, 02:31:27 AM »

That looks really nice. Is district 36 an Asian opportunity or is it too Hispanic?

Both? It's 56% Latino and 23% Asian. So it's a Hispanic VRA which simultaneously provides a pretty good Asian opportunity.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2020, 02:39:04 AM »

Both? It's 56% Latino and 23% Asian. So it's a Hispanic VRA which simultaneously provides a pretty good Asian opportunity.

I think you drew us into the same district. 👀
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2020, 03:03:51 AM »

CA-31? Nice.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2020, 03:06:52 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

Yeah I like how you have all the cool parts of LA concentrated there. I put myself in CA-30 (westside) even though it's not a great fit. I wanted to keep the Sunset corridor whole if I could.

I really like that breakdown of the SFV. That's perfect
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2020, 03:14:15 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

Yeah I like how you have all the cool parts of LA concentrated there. I put myself in CA-30 (westside) even though it's not a great fit. I wanted to keep the Sunset corridor whole if I could.

Yup! I take it you're in Silver Lake/Los Feliz then? It wasn't even my original goal, but once I realized I could have 2 AA districts, an intact Westside district, and not pair Hollywood with the valley then I just had to draw it like that. Downtown, Hollywood, Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park, NELA, Koreatown and Boyle Heights all fit together well and, as you said, are invariably cool.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2020, 03:19:03 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

Yup! I take it you're in Silver Lake/Los Feliz then? It wasn't even my original goal, but once I realized I could have 2 AA districts, an intact Westside district, and not pair Hollywood with the valley then I just had to draw it like that. Downtown, Hollywood, Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park, NELA, Koreatown and Boyle Heights all fit together well and, as you said, are invariably cool.

Technically East Hollywood, but right near Silver Lake. I definitely spend more time in Silver Lake and Downtown than anywhere to the west.

What's your percentages on the AA districts?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2020, 03:22:33 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

Technically East Hollywood, but right near Silver Lake. I definitely spend more time in Silver Lake and Downtown than anywhere to the west.

38% and 41%.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2020, 03:24:47 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

38% and 41%.

Ooh that's lovely. I presume your Long Beach/San Pedro split has something to do with that. Is your Long Beach district majority Hispanic?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2020, 03:29:48 AM »

CA-31? Nice.

38% and 41%.

Ooh that's lovely. I presume your Long Beach/San Pedro split has something to do with that. Is your Long Beach district majority Hispanic?

Yeah. Both the Long Beach and San Pedro districts are minority coalition districts though.

By CVAP, Long Beach is 35% Latino, 34% white, 17% Asian, and 13% black. San Pedro is 43% white, 30% Latino, 20% Asian, and 6% black.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2020, 12:30:45 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2020, 10:21:35 PM by ERM64man »

Los Angeles:

Orange:

San Diego:

Bay Area:

Central Valley:

Emerald Coast and Jefferson:

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #549 on: June 19, 2020, 04:58:40 PM »

Started shifting some things around in Ventura and ended up redrawing a big chunk of my map. Ended up with a 42D-6R map which includes 14 Latino districts, 2 AA districts, and 3 Asian districts.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies