2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:09:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 88902 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »

Here is West Garden Grove. Mayor Steve Jones (R) is from there. Last census says it痴 82% white.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »

Here is West Garden Grove. Mayor Steve Jones (R) is from there. Last census says it痴 82% white.
Oooohhh.
I see the confusion.
Yeah West Garden Grove is in the district.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:55 AM »

Oooohhh.
I see the confusion.
Yeah West Garden Grove is in the district.
It痴 isolated from the rest of the city. It has more in common with Seal Beach/Cypress/Huntington Beach. The Asian Belt has two malls of of Interstate 405.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »

My first and foremost consideration, after avoiding county splits, was avoiding municipal splits. So that explains some of the weirdness in OC.
I decided early on that in OC I had to split one of the CoI and so I chose the coast.

What's the logic for prioritising avoiding county splits? The California redistricting law attaches the same importance to keeping counties, municipalities and CoIs intact, with none explicitly trumping the others.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 09:20:25 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

My first and foremost consideration, after avoiding county splits, was avoiding municipal splits. So that explains some of the weirdness in OC.
I decided early on that in OC I had to split one of the CoI and so I chose the coast.

What's the logic for prioritising avoiding county splits? The California redistricting law attaches the same importance to keeping counties, municipalities and CoIs intact, with none explicitly trumping the others.
To a certain extent it is personal preference. And that personal preference does have some real limiting potential for the map.
I don't think this really replicates perfectly the thought process CA's commission goes when it draws districts; this map simply reflects my thought process, which is to treat counties as building blocks and go from there.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »

What might a map with 53 districts completely redrawn from scratch look like, with no LA/OC splits?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 12:55:14 PM »

4 was kind of confusing, I would like it if you got in more detail in regards to it.
I like where you're going with this. Re #4, my point is that this area:

naturally makes two districts and absolutely should be kept together. If possible, you should make 2 core SFV+1 Burbank/NoHo district (which you already have) and keep the Santa Monica/Beverly Hills and Santa Clarita districts out of the San Fernando Valley.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »

I really wanted to group Burbank with Glendale and Pasadena on my map
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2020, 01:09:24 PM »

What might a map with 53 districts completely redrawn from scratch look like, with no LA/OC splits?

Do you live in Garden Grove?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2020, 01:21:11 PM »

Do you live in Garden Grove?
Yes. I get moved into new districts every time. CA-40 (Ed Royce), CA-47 (Alan Lowenthal), will the next round be an OC-cemtered district again? I never stay in one district.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »

4 was kind of confusing, I would like it if you got in more detail in regards to it.

[snipped]

naturally makes two districts and absolutely should be kept together. If possible, you should make 2 core SFV+1 Burbank/NoHo district (which you already have) and keep the Santa Monica/Beverly Hills and Santa Clarita districts out of the San Fernando Valley.

I think the central SFV district on this map is a Hispanic district, though. You're not going to be able to draw just two districts in the SFV while creating a Hispanic opportunity district unless you make the white district wind around and almost totally encircle the Hispanic district, which is not going to be acceptable to anyone. I think it's more likely that you get one Hispanic opportunity district entirely within the SFV and then a bunch of other districts nibble the edges of the SFV.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

[snipped]

I think the central SFV district on this map is a Hispanic district, though. You're not going to be able to draw just two districts in the SFV while creating a Hispanic opportunity district unless you make the white district wind around and almost totally encircle the Hispanic district, which is not going to be acceptable to anyone. I think it's more likely that you get one Hispanic opportunity district entirely within the SFV and then a bunch of other districts nibble the edges of the SFV.

This works:

I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »

On a 53 district map, what would an OC map with no LA/OC splits look like?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 02:28:19 PM »

Blairite, what's are the demographics of the Valley districts you have?
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 02:56:34 PM »

This is cool. What district did you put the Tri-Valley in?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »

This is cool. What district did you put the Tri-Valley in?

I have the Alameda portion with the foothills and part of Modesto and the Contra Costa portion with Walnut Creek.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »

[snipped]

This works:

What knockoff impacts would this have on other districts?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 05:26:11 PM »

Tim and Seven Eleven, I ended up reconfiguring my whole Southern California map from what I showed you because that valley configuration (which is 52% Latino in the Sylmar/Canoga Park district) forced me to pair Santa Monica and Ventura, which I just didn't like.

Anyway, this is what I have now:

Annoyingly, this forces 3 LA/Ventura splits, which is excessive, but it allows a Latino SFV district (CA-25) and it doesn't make me do weird things in the LA/IE/OC areas. I also like keeping Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley as their own separate unit. Finally, it lets me keep Bakersfield intact. Anyway, I just decided to push all the SFV districts west into Ventura along the coast (CA-27), 101/134 (CA-26), and Santa Clarita River (CA-24). In this way, I don't think it divides up any Ventura County COIs except Thousand Oaks, which is split three ways by freeways anyhow.

Anyway, now I have to actually finish this up and do NorCal.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 06:03:33 PM by paint sniffing survivor »

Why not just get rid of the unnecessary Asian belt district? It's probably only 40% Asian and split between two parties.

And what percent Asian is your district 29/31 anyway?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »

Tim and Seven Eleven, I ended up reconfiguring my whole Southern California map from what I showed you because that valley configuration (which is 52% Latino in the Sylmar/Canoga Park district) forced me to pair Santa Monica and Ventura, which I just didn't like.

Annoyingly, this forces 3 LA/Ventura splits, which is excessive, but it allows a Latino SFV district (CA-25) and it doesn't make me do weird things in the LA/IE/OC areas. I also like keeping Santa Clarita and the Antelope Valley as their own separate unit. Finally, it lets me keep Bakersfield intact. Anyway, I just decided to push all the SFV districts west into Ventura along the coast (CA-27), 101/134 (CA-26), and Santa Clarita River (CA-24). In this way, I don't think it divides up any Ventura County COIs except Thousand Oaks, which is split three ways by freeways anyhow.

what is the Asian % in your CA-46?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2020, 06:01:59 PM »

It's 40% Asian, 33% Latino, and 23% white.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »

That's great.
What about 45, 44, and 47?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »

That's great.
What about 45, 44, and 47?

45:
64% Latino
20% White
13% Asian

44:
49% White
27% Asian
21% Latino

47:
61% White
20% Latino
17% Asian
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2020, 06:30:01 PM by paint sniffing survivor »

It doesn't look like you have an Asian district in the SFV, am I reading it wrong?

I'm going to fix up some of my LA districts in a bit. I'm curious to see your Central valley districts as what you have is similar to what I originally tried to do but it started driving me crazy and I had to completely redo them.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »

Interesting but not too shocking to see the coastal OC seat be so heavily White.
In general I quite like your OC seats.
Is it possible to put La Habra in CA-46?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies