2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89100 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: November 12, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »

I think the key to drawing a fair map that cuts GOP representation in the area is:
1. Pair Newport with Irvine. To be honest, Newport, Irvine, Laguna, Costa Mesa, and Aliso Viejo have stronger ties than Newport does with Huntington or Irvine does with the Eastern Hills.
2. Send the remainder of South OC into Levin's district.
3. Put the Eastern Hills (Tustin, Anaheim Hills, etc.) in with the Anaheim/Santa Ana Latino VRA district.
4. Get creative pairing the rest of northern and western OC with Los Angeles County.

I just don't see the commission getting away with any maps that pair OC and Riverside. Similarly, connecting Newport to Long Beach rather than Irvine is a bit too obscene. An Asian Belt sink could be drawn but I'm quite skeptical Riverside needs a second sink. Corona and Lake Elsinore are increrasingly blue and so long as Temecula/Murrieta are in with the San Diego sink, everything should be fine.
Do you know what fair means?
A map can be fair on a COI level while simultaneously being less favorable to the GOP, yes. For example, a fair map would pair Newport Beach and Irvine which would just happen to help Democrats.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2020, 04:33:06 AM »

I think the key to drawing a fair map that cuts GOP representation in the area is:
1. Pair Newport with Irvine. To be honest, Newport, Irvine, Laguna, Costa Mesa, and Aliso Viejo have stronger ties than Newport does with Huntington or Irvine does with the Eastern Hills.
3. Put the Eastern Hills (Tustin, Anaheim Hills, etc.) in with the Anaheim/Santa Ana Latino VRA district.
4. Get creative pairing the rest of northern and western OC with Los Angeles County.

I just don't see the commission getting away with any maps that pair OC and Riverside. Similarly, connecting Newport to Long Beach rather than Irvine is a bit too obscene. An Asian Belt sink could be drawn but I'm quite skeptical Riverside needs a second sink. Corona and Lake Elsinore are increrasingly blue and so long as Temecula/Murrieta are in with the San Diego sink, everything should be fine.
A map can be fair on a COI level while simultaneously being less favorable to the GOP, yes. For example, a fair map would pair Newport Beach and Irvine which would just happen to help Democrats.
fair in this context means not taking partisanship into account.  You clearly have.  Sure, it's possible some arrangements on a fair map would hurt Republicans, and some would hurt Dems too.  If every decision just happens to benefit one party then you can't claim it's a fair map.  Sure, we can discuss what would be legal under the rules.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1277 on: November 13, 2020, 05:13:35 AM »

fair in this context means not taking partisanship into account.  You clearly have.  Sure, it's possible some arrangements on a fair map would hurt Republicans, and some would hurt Dems too.  If every decision just happens to benefit one party then you can't claim it's a fair map.  Sure, we can discuss what would be legal under the rules.
I'm not advocating for it per se. I'm just discussing what the commission--which very obviously has a D tilt--is likely to do.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #1278 on: November 13, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »

I'm not advocating for it per se. I'm just discussing what the commission--which very obviously has a D tilt--is likely to do.
Well I appreciate you helping to demonstrate such actions would be clearly done with partisan motivation and would go against the entire purpose of the commission.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1279 on: November 18, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »

I drew a Southern California map that is a) fair b) reflects COIs most of the time and c) just so happens to reduce Republican representation. I think the commission might try something like this out:

Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #1280 on: November 18, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »

I drew a Southern California map that is a) fair b) reflects COIs most of the time and c) just so happens to reduce Republican representation. I think the commission might try something like this out:

Obvious gerrymander is obvious. That's clearly not fair and it clearly doesn't reflect COIs or city lines which I noticed you don't have turned on. To begin with the commission will probably stick with the current Imperial to San Diego district which will throw off all those others but yeah your map clearly carves up cities.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1281 on: November 18, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »

Obvious gerrymander is obvious.
Well yeah. The whole point of the exercise is to see what the commission could get away with in favor of Democrats.

That's clearly not fair and it clearly doesn't reflect COIs or city lines which I noticed you don't have turned on.
It absolutely follows city lines. I just always turn city lines off when I'm done for appearances. They're ugly.

To begin with the commission will probably stick with the current Imperial to San Diego district which will throw off all those others but yeah your map clearly carves up cities.
I seriously doubt it. Imperial+Coachella is a much better pairing for a bunch of reasons.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1282 on: November 18, 2020, 11:13:26 PM »

So Partisan nonsense, got it. A fair map would try to make representation closer to the voter split.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1283 on: November 18, 2020, 11:30:31 PM »

So Partisan nonsense, got it. A fair map would try to make representation closer to the voter split.

Look, I'm just trying to figure out how the commission is going to deal with OC since we all know they're going to have a Dem-bias. Huntington Beach+Long Beach and Southeast OC in with Escondido seems like the most workable solution.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1284 on: November 18, 2020, 11:38:09 PM »

I prefer something like this:
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1285 on: November 19, 2020, 12:18:25 AM »

Are you concerned about the Fullerton, Irvine, Oceanside/San Clemente, and Escondido seats flipping?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1286 on: November 19, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »

Oh God, the pain.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1287 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:20 AM »

Look, I'm just trying to figure out how the commission is going to deal with OC since we all know they're going to have a Dem-bias. Huntington Beach+Long Beach and Southeast OC in with Escondido seems like the most workable solution.
If you're admitting it's not really fair, I've got no problem with it, I would expect the commission to cut our seats.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1288 on: November 19, 2020, 12:21:46 AM »

If you're admitting it's not really fair, I've got no problem with it, I would expect the commission to cut our seats.

I am. My whole goal was to get the GOP down to 2 Southern California districts while keeping districts relatively compact.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1289 on: November 19, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »

[quote author=LordDrachir link=topic=373117.msg7780772#msg7780772 date=1605763220

I am. My whole goal was to get the GOP down to 2 Southern California districts while keeping districts relatively compact.
[/quote]
At least it's a pretty map that foretells our soon.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1290 on: November 19, 2020, 12:36:01 AM »

Are you concerned about the Fullerton, Irvine, Oceanside/San Clemente, and Escondido seats flipping?

Fullerton, no way. Irvine and Oceanside are even stronger for Biden than they were for HRC, so no. Escondido, maybe, but a swing seat is better than an R sink IMO.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1291 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:05 PM »

Fullerton, no way. Irvine and Oceanside are even stronger for Biden than they were for HRC, so no. Escondido, maybe, but a swing seat is better than an R sink IMO.
Swing seats will probably trend D over the years, so it's better for y'all. Any of y'all know where Trump increased his vote?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1292 on: November 19, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »

Swing seats will probably trend D over the years, so it's better for y'all. Any of y'all know where Trump increased his vote?
That band of four districts in North OC. HB and Westminster trended toward Trump, while NB and LB trended toward Biden in the Porter district.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1293 on: November 19, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »

That band of four districts in North OC. HB and Westminster trended toward Trump, while NB and LB trended toward Biden in the Porter district.
Ah. I'm just shocked he picked up 3%
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1294 on: November 19, 2020, 02:36:26 PM »

What do you mean by that?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1295 on: November 19, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »

What do you mean by that?
Statewide, he went from 31% to 34%
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1296 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:54 PM »

Yeah that shocked me too. If I had to guess, I'd say Trump probably did ~10% better in this area of LA/OC. Probably 50% of that statewide growth right there. Can't wait to see precinct results though.

Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #1297 on: November 19, 2020, 02:55:35 PM »

The commission looks fair to me no way that map passes. Also it doesn't look like there's a Hispanic majority district in OC which you can easily make.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1298 on: November 19, 2020, 03:05:33 PM »

The commission looks fair to me no way that map passes. Also it doesn't look like there's a Hispanic majority district in OC which you can easily make.

My map has a Hispanic majority district, Blairite's doesn't appear to by eyeballing it. My map maintains every VRA district.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1299 on: November 19, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »

Blairite's doesn't appear to by eyeballing it.

Yes it does. CA-44 is. It's basically the same as the current CA-46 but adds in the Anaheim Hills--which admittedly changes the shape somewhat.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies