S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:50:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed)  (Read 509 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« on: May 11, 2020, 01:45:02 AM »

Traffic cameras are bad. Very bad. Not good at all. First of all, there's no evidence they reduce crashes at all - and in fact there's considerable evidence they do the opposite. I'll speak from personal experience. There's a red light camera at one of the intersections near my house. Now whenever I drive by it I get a little nervous that I'm gonna somehow mess up. When you drive, you need to be calm. Anxiety and stress leads to not paying attention which leads to more car crashes.

Second off - they're a complete and total moneymaking scam. Just a speed trap but even more lazy. It's easy for city governments to mooch off of unsuspecting drivers - the people who might be going 10 miles an hour over to get to work on time, or a sweet old lady just trying to make it to her grandson's football game. These fines can total hundreds of dollars - not just pocket change for a huge percent of people.

And finally, they perpetuate the cycle of 24/7 surveillance - something we definitely shouldn't be having in our region. People have the right to live their life without being watched constantly and these cameras record everybody.

Point being- They're bad. Terrible. And I hope you vote for this bill.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »

I support traffic cameras as a deterrent for speeding. Without them the roads are a lot less safe. I'd rather reduce the penalty.
They don’t reduce crashes at all in fact - read the link I posted above.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:58:01 PM »

As someone who has gotten a ticket from a traffic camera, I sympathize with the sentiment. But such cameras are a good source of revenue for the government. I might consider a bill that bans situations where cameras and speed limit changes are placed in a way that makes it easy for someone unfamiliar with the area to get a ticket. That's what I call a scam.
They’re scams. Plain and simple. And they prey on innocent people by hiking up fees. People should be able to drive without living in fear.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »

Would any delegates seek to continue debate before we move for a vote?

Is there any support for my idea to provide some compensation to municipalities / states who incurred this fixed cost?

If there is, I'll put an amendment forward, if not I'm fine going to a vote.
I'd support it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies