S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:07:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.2-7: Traffic Camera Ban Act (Passed)  (Read 494 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:16:43 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2020, 01:47:46 PM by Fire and Fury »

Traffic Camera Ban Act

Be it enacted:

Section 1: Definition

1. "Traffic camera" shall be defined as a camera which may be mounted beside or over a road or installed in an enforcement vehicle to detect motoring offenses, including speeding, vehicles going through a red traffic light, vehicles going through a toll booth without paying, or unauthorized use of a bus, carpool, or express lane.

Section 2: Ban on Cameras

1. All traffic cameras are hereby banned in the Southern Region.
2. State and local governments have until the end of December 31, 2020 to remove all traffic cameras currently in operation.
3. No new traffic cameras may be installed after passage of this bill.
4. Nothing in this bill shall be interpreted to prohibit police officers from enforcing traffic laws while physically present at the site of the offense.

Debate to last 48 hours.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 01:45:02 AM »

Traffic cameras are bad. Very bad. Not good at all. First of all, there's no evidence they reduce crashes at all - and in fact there's considerable evidence they do the opposite. I'll speak from personal experience. There's a red light camera at one of the intersections near my house. Now whenever I drive by it I get a little nervous that I'm gonna somehow mess up. When you drive, you need to be calm. Anxiety and stress leads to not paying attention which leads to more car crashes.

Second off - they're a complete and total moneymaking scam. Just a speed trap but even more lazy. It's easy for city governments to mooch off of unsuspecting drivers - the people who might be going 10 miles an hour over to get to work on time, or a sweet old lady just trying to make it to her grandson's football game. These fines can total hundreds of dollars - not just pocket change for a huge percent of people.

And finally, they perpetuate the cycle of 24/7 surveillance - something we definitely shouldn't be having in our region. People have the right to live their life without being watched constantly and these cameras record everybody.

Point being- They're bad. Terrible. And I hope you vote for this bill.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 01:14:02 PM »

Installation costs for traffic cameras are actually a lot higher than one might initially guess.

As such, I'm fine with banning these, but I think there should be a rebate given to the local jurisdictions who paid for these (perhaps defined as the cost of the camera and installation, then subtract whatever revenues the jurisdiction has made from the red light cameras they've installed). If we are asking them to give up their recurring revenue from this, we should at least do a partial mitigation of their fixed costs they spent back when traffic cameras were legal.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

As someone who has gotten a ticket from a traffic camera, I sympathize with the sentiment. But such cameras are a good source of revenue for the government. I might consider a bill that bans situations where cameras and speed limit changes are placed in a way that makes it easy for someone unfamiliar with the area to get a ticket. That's what I call a scam.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »

I support traffic cameras as a deterrent for speeding. Without them the roads are a lot less safe. I'd rather reduce the penalty.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »

I support traffic cameras as a deterrent for speeding. Without them the roads are a lot less safe. I'd rather reduce the penalty.
They don’t reduce crashes at all in fact - read the link I posted above.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 09:58:01 PM »

As someone who has gotten a ticket from a traffic camera, I sympathize with the sentiment. But such cameras are a good source of revenue for the government. I might consider a bill that bans situations where cameras and speed limit changes are placed in a way that makes it easy for someone unfamiliar with the area to get a ticket. That's what I call a scam.
They’re scams. Plain and simple. And they prey on innocent people by hiking up fees. People should be able to drive without living in fear.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »

Would any delegates seek to continue debate before we move for a vote?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 12:57:39 AM »

Is there any support for my idea to provide some compensation to municipalities / states who incurred this fixed cost?

If there is, I'll put an amendment forward, if not I'm fine going to a vote.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 02:36:02 AM »

Is there any support for my idea to provide some compensation to municipalities / states who incurred this fixed cost?

If there is, I'll put an amendment forward, if not I'm fine going to a vote.
I'd support it.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 03:06:42 AM »

Amendment:

Traffic Camera Ban Act

Be it enacted:

Section 1: Definition

1. "Traffic camera" shall be defined as a camera which may be mounted beside or over a road or installed in an enforcement vehicle to detect motoring offenses, including speeding, vehicles going through a red traffic light, vehicles going through a toll booth without paying, or unauthorized use of a bus, carpool, or express lane.

Section 2: Ban on Cameras

1. All traffic cameras are hereby banned in the Southern Region.
2. State and local governments have until the end of December 31, 2020 to remove all traffic cameras currently in operation.
3. No new traffic cameras may be installed after passage of this bill.
4. Nothing in this bill shall be interpreted to prohibit police officers from enforcing traffic laws while physically present at the site of the offense.

Section 3: Compensation Fund

1. State and local governments who purchased traffic cameras prior to May 10, 2020, are entitled to apply for a rebate from the regional government
2. To qualify for a rebate, state and local governments must provide documentation of all installation and purchase costs for traffic cameras, as well as a record of all revenues generated from existing traffic cameras
3. Rebates will not be awarded if a state or local government's revenue from traffic cameras has exceeded installation and purchase costs for traffic cameras. Otherwise, the regional government will cover 75% of costs not recouped from traffic camera revenue by December 31, 2020

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

24 objection period.
Spark